Purported 2018 iPad Pro render shows edge-to-edge display, thinner design

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    And the amazing thing is they’ve incorporated the front camera into the display.  Interleaving capture sensors with display pixels they used the ISP to apply a software lens…

…or maybe not, maybe it’s a poor render.
  • Reply 22 of 28
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Where’s the notch?
  • Reply 23 of 28
    thttht Posts: 5,443member
    stoneyg said:
    I thought there was a rumor a few weeks ago about the new iPad having a design more like the iPhone 4 (i.e. more angular, flatter sides/back). Anyone else remember that?
    Yeah, that’s been the rumor, but being 5.86 mm puts it into a different class than the renders before. 5.86 mm is definitely going for the “wow” look, but ugh, camera humps. Those camera protrusions drive a lot of case sales and it’ll be no different here if true.

These Geskin renders look more like iPhone 6 ID with flat sides, where Apple tried to go as thin as possible with those iPhones. The bendiness was not worth the thinness and they changed to stronger, thicker metal and glass in subsequent models.

iPhone 4 was a flat sided steel frames sandwiched by glass. Modern iPhone models are like that but with rounded, polished frames.

iPhone 5 had flat sides, but the chamfers were the signiture look of those devices. iPads still have chamfers.

Who knows...
  • Reply 24 of 28
    thttht Posts: 5,443member
    hentaiboy said:
    Where’s the notch?

The render is probably fake because the rumor is that it won’t have a notch, and the bezel will be thick enough to accommodate Face ID sensors. So about 8 to 9 mm thick bezels, constant all the way around.

If the images are of the 12.9” model, maybe those are 8 mm (0.32”) bezels. If those renders are actually reflective of the real product that is.
  • Reply 25 of 28
    I'm thinking the squared off edges will make it easier to pick up given the smaller bezels.
  • Reply 26 of 28
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    jkichline said:
    I’m thinking based on changes being made in iOS 12 and considering a new 4K output resolution in the beta that USB-C is coming with the next iPad. Given the thinness and the USB-C port, it may be necessary to square the edges.

I also think it’s possible that Apple could develop and combination port to handle both USB-C and Lightning in the same port or have both, one on either end.
    4K AirPlay?
  • Reply 27 of 28
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    tht said:
    stoneyg said:
    I thought there was a rumor a few weeks ago about the new iPad having a design more like the iPhone 4 (i.e. more angular, flatter sides/back). Anyone else remember that?
    Yeah, that’s been the rumor, but being 5.86 mm puts it into a different class than the renders before. 5.86 mm is definitely going for the “wow” look, but ugh, camera humps. Those camera protrusions drive a lot of case sales and it’ll be no different here if true.

These Geskin renders look more like iPhone 6 ID with flat sides, where Apple tried to go as thin as possible with those iPhones. The bendiness was not worth the thinness and they changed to stronger, thicker metal and glass in subsequent models.

iPhone 4 was a flat sided steel frames sandwiched by glass. Modern iPhone models are like that but with rounded, polished frames.

iPhone 5 had flat sides, but the chamfers were the signiture look of those devices. iPads still have chamfers.

Who knows...
    I don't mind as I would be using a case to "flush" with the camera. 

• Reply 28 of 28
    That is great if what you said is true, but iPad elder version works great, I don't want to change.
    edited October 2018