Kanye West pitches Apple-designed Air Force One 'iPlane' replacement in oval office

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2018
Outspoken musician Kanye West made the suggestion to President Donald Trump to replace Air Force One with a new hydrogen-powered plane to be worked on by Apple, with the idea shown off via iPhone during an Oval Office meeting.

The Thursday meeting between West and Trump at the famed Oval Office covered a number of topics, but one notable highlight was a pitch by the noted rapper that the President should upgrade Air Force One to a craft West calls "The iPlane 1."

Unlocking his iPhone XS, Vice News reports West proceeded to show images of the plane to Trump, declaring it to be a "Hydrogen-powered plane," and "this is what our President should be flying."

Trump's response seemed to involve jokingly asking the attending press photographers "So get rid of Air Force One?"

"It's called the iPlane 1." pic.twitter.com/X4C9mvk6H6

-- VICE News (@vicenews)

West then asserted "We're gonna have Apple, an American company, work on this plane with..." without completing the statement, before chastising commentators and NBC's "Saturday Night Live" for not understanding "If he (Trump) don't look good, we (America) don't look good."

"This is our President. He has to be the freshest, the flyest. The flyest planes," West continued, before bringing up employment and prison.

While Apple does have some transportation projects in the works, such as Project Titan, as well as its employees working on activities outside of computing, it is doubtful the company is working on hydrogen-powered planes or similar technologies.

Earlier in October, West made a bizarre claim on Twitter claiming the "YZY" brand being effectively owned by Apple, despite the fact that it isn't. The tweet referred to Steve Jobs, Jony Ive, Tim Cook, and Laurene Powell Jobs, while a later "clarification" mentions Eddie Cue and "All 123 thousand {Apple} crew members."

One confirmed fact that transpired from the meeting was that Mr. West seemed unconcerned about device security. As clearly captured on video, West's passcode on his phone is "000000."

West and Apple

Kanye West may now be an Apple fan but previously he has had different views. He did boast in 2016 that his wife Kim Kardashian's Kimoji app "just shut down the app store, uh! And we made a million a minute."

Kardashian herself repeated that claim several times, despite Apple issuing a statement saying "there were absolutely no issues with the App Store."

At the same time, West criticized Nike, the only sportswear firm to have an official partnership with Apple, but he has long kept up this his praise of Steve Jobs. Speaking to Vogue magazine, he said in 2015 that: "One of my dreams was to be the head creative director of the Gap. I'd like to be the Steve Jobs of the Gap When I say Steve Jobs of the Gap, as I talk to the people at the Gap right now, I'm not talking about a capsule. I'm talking about full Hedi Slimane creative control of the Gap is what I would like to do."

Slimane is a photographer and fashion designer who at the time of that interview was creative director for Yves Saint Laurent.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    I'd really like to keep the comments open on this one.

So, read the commenting guidelines before you get going.
    mac_dogpatchythepiratelibertykrsclaire1doozydozen
  • Reply 2 of 41
    You've got to admire his tenacity, if nothing else. And, though I don't agree with what has been described as his "politics", that hasn't stopped me from enjoying his latest musical output - but I never expected it to. 

It seems like to me that Ye neglects his real areas of expertise, i.e. music, (and increasingly, fashion - damn I want me some Yeezys, to be truly real here) because he wants the validation of a different crowd. Rich, old white people mainly. Viewed from this perspective, it's kinda sad. To me, there's nothing higher than a great musician. That's it. I mean, maybe Buddha, Jesus and those guys, but right underneath? Prince, Hendrix, etc. 

But even more interestingly, it's clearly Ye's psychological "deficits", such as insecurity, that drive all his creative processes. Looking at this article, it seems he's very much a "throw everything at the wall and see what sticks" guy - and there's nothing wrong with that.

I must admit though, both the name and concept here ... suck. And at what point does Apple reach out and say, "look - you're famous enough, please, stop associating yourself with us in areas we are not associated" - but they are probably rightfully scared that he would then pull his music from MUSIC.

Last thought, I thought it was kinda cute how we were worrying about Ye's simple passcode there- that's probably his XS he uses solely for showing Trump things, and thanks to Apple's ingenuity, if you're hella rich I can see how losing or having your iPhone stolen would matter for all of a couple of hours. Whereas someone like me would need months to replace it, not to mention mounting a terrifying campaign of revenge and intimidation against the perps.

[edit] Umm, I thought this through and music is spirituality to me, so those guys are all on the same level, JAMMIN'. 
    edited October 2018 doozydozenCarnage
  • Reply 3 of 41
    One confirmed fact that transpired from the meeting was that Mr. West seemed unconcerned about device security. As clearly captured on video, West's passcode on his phone is "000000”. 
    What? Using Face ID just too much to ask for, Kanye? At minimum it would help keep your terrible passcode a secret. 

I like some of his music and some of it not so much, but WOW! he just keeps me (unintentionally? Intentionally?) entertained in so many other ways. 
    edited October 2018 claire1Carnage
  • Reply 4 of 41
    Let’s see if Apple can do the “iCar” first.

😉
    claire1doozydozen
  • Reply 5 of 41
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    I'd really like to keep the comments open on this one.

So, read the commenting guidelines before you get going.
    Yes. Getting the popcorn ready. 
    edited October 2018 claire1doozydozen
  • Reply 6 of 41
    aylkaylk Posts: 54member
    One confirmed fact that transpired from the meeting was that Mr. West seemed unconcerned about device security. As clearly captured on video, West's passcode on his phone is "000000”. 
    What? Using Face ID just too much to ask for, Kanye? At minimum it would help keep your terrible passcode a secret. 

I like some of his music and some of it not so much, but WOW! he just keeps me (unintentionally? Intentionally?) entertained in so many other ways. 
    That's how FaceID works... most times you have to enter the passcode.
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 7 of 41
    Oh, this is rich.  To get a balanced view of how this landed in the public eye I’ll check both Fox News and the Colbert Report. 
    patchythepiratedoozydozen
  • Reply 8 of 41
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    aylk said:

Nope, on reboot, otherwise very rarely do you have to enter the passcode.
    StrangeDaysclaire1superklotonjony0
  • Reply 9 of 41
    TomETomE Posts: 172member
    Wow.  We could change the entire Air Force (Space Force) over to Hydrogen.  A Rapper turned Air Plane promoter ?  Can Air Force 1 now refuel in Flight ? 

• Reply 10 of 41
    Well it is a good idea that if you have a airplane it should be the flyest. Because if it is non-flyest it won’t fly and if you have an airplane it really should fly.
    mknelsondoozydozenjony0
  • Reply 11 of 41
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    The iPlane? Reminds me of Jobs’ super yacht Venus.
    It is different to nearly every other yacht.
    claire1doozydozen
  • Reply 12 of 41
    aylkaylk Posts: 54member
    aylk said:

Nope, on reboot, otherwise very rarely do you have to enter the passcode.
    "Your mileage may vary."
  • Reply 13 of 41
    If Kanye West can offer constructive ideas to help Chicago then we should all listen.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 14 of 41
    kudukudu Posts: 44member
    Kanye West has Daddy issues. He is enamoured with Trump because he looks up to him. By his own admission he hasn’t had any male figures in his life. Trump taking him under his wing is emboldening him hence wearing the MAGA cap makes him feel like Superman. West’s hole in his soul is understandable to me, just not his views on EVERYTHING. 
  • Reply 15 of 41
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,119member
    Well it is a good idea that if you have a airplane it should be the flyest. Because if it is non-flyest it won’t fly and if you have an airplane it really should fly.
    But, then it might be Too Fly for a White Guy.
    claire1
  • Reply 16 of 41
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,332member
    In related news ... Martha Stewart visits White House, suggests next generation of US Air Force Stealth Bomber should be made entirely from Meat Loaf, noting that meat loaf has a very low radar cross section, and goes well with a nice California Red Wine. President happily claps in response, muttering "I love meat loaf, that is the most awesome-ist idea ever - I mean most awesome-ist idea EVER!, you are a genius Martha, but I don't drink wine but would love to have two of your chocolate iCupcakes, they are the best ever too. Mike, you only get one iCupcake, I get two. Let's do a selfie with Martha." 

Hide the football. Now.
    JWSCfranklinjackconmicrobeCarnagejony0
  • Reply 17 of 41
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,274member
    I’d like it if Mr. West:
    1. Stopped making false claims about Apple or his association therewith. I’m glad he admires Steve Jobs, but he needs to pick up Steve’s habit of only saying something when he has something meaningful to say.

2. Gets the psychological help he very obviously needs.
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 18 of 41
    We truly are living in a reality tv world now. 
    rinosaurCarnagejony0
  • Reply 19 of 41
    It is sort of strange that at first when I came to know Kanye West as the person who confronted Taylor Swift at the awards show; I thought he was just a punk. But as I learn about him and his interest and as a person; I have a totally 180 degree change of thinking about Kanye West! He is really a guy who follows his own path - good or bad at that moment and reflecting back it worked out beautiful for him! I guess he knew Trump years before he became President and were friends. So now the media makes him a villian that has turned on his friends and gone over to the enemy. Kanye is just doing what friends do even if one of your friends happens to be the President of The United States. Kanye and Donald Trump have this in common; they follow their own paths!
  • Reply 20 of 41
    Why is he in the White House? honestly? And giving opinion on what the President should fly? embarrassingly laughable! Apple ignore him and release some NEW MACS ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!