Apple says half of all iOS devices are now running iOS 12

Posted:
in iOS
Apple has confirmed iOS 12 is on over half of all devices produced by the company, with the latest official figures indicating 53 percent of compatible iPhones, iPads, and iPod touch models running the latest iteration of the mobile operating system.

Revealed via Apple's Developer website using data sourced from the App Store on October 12, iOS 12 is now the dominant operating system on Apple's mobile devices introduced since September 2014. The usage of iOS 11 has dropped down to 40 percent, while earlier iOS releases make up the remaining 7 percent.

In a second chart, which relates to all iOS-compatible devices that have accessed the App Store and not just those from the last four years, iOS 12 is running on approximately 50 percent of devices, with iOS 11 on 39 percent, and older releases at 11 percent combined.

The data is the first from Apple itself since the release of iOS 12, which occurred on September 17. Two weeks before its release, Apple advised 85 percent of devices ran iOS 11, with iOS 10 on 10 percent, and earlier versions garnering a 5 percent share.

It also seems that iOS 12 stands a good chance of outpacing its predecessor, when compared to Apple's figures released in December 2017. In November's official update, iOS 11 was on 52 percent of active devices, with the share growing to 59 percent in December.

The new figures also appear to correlate with third-party analysis of device usage. Unofficial data released on October 4 by Mixpanel tracking suggested 46.95 percent of devices ran iOS 12, while 46.15 percent ran iOS 11.

It is likely that the faster adoption pace of iOS 12 is down to Apple's decision to make the release focus more on maintenance and improving performance for older hardware. While previous iterations typically introduced slowdowns in older devices when performing standard functions, the latest release is in some cases making the same functions run faster than they did under the previous operating system.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    I think the only version of Android to ever enjoy over 50% usage would be 1.0. As soon as other versions came out it became a fragmented mess and never recovered. 
    lkruppclaire1jony0
  • Reply 2 of 16
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Hey whaddabout Google!...
    Dang, Eric got in first. 
    edited October 2018 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 3 of 16
    gatorguy said:
    Dang, Eric got in first. 
    gatorguy said:
    Was just discussing that. I guess buying the talent rather than the company might become more common? Google did this earlier this year with HTC, buying up the engineering team and licensing the IP but leaving the rest of HTC on its own. Apple appears to be doing the same with Dialog and both seemingly for the same reasons: To take development matters into their own hands.

You were saying?
  • Reply 4 of 16
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,120member
    I've been impressed with iOS12 - I noticed an odd messages in the cloud bug but that's the only problem so far.

Our display 12.9" iPads actually hold a charge through the day while running Apple demo content using the stock 12W adapter so theirs some clear improvements on newer models too.
    claire1
  • Reply 5 of 16
    It's just semantics, but I don't believe that "Apple has confirmed iOS 12 is on over half of all devices produced by the company."  A more accurate interpretation add a clause about "that are still in active use."  I have a drawer full of iPod touches and old iPhones that aren't upgraded but also aren't hitting the App Store.

I expect that well over 25% of iOS devices are out of service.  I'm sure the pie charts are accurate, but they don't represent "all devices."
    Latko
  • Reply 6 of 16
    With iOS12 I’ve noticed extremely slow battery charging...
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 7 of 16
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,335member
    Seems pretty stable overall. The latest sub point release dramatically improved the WiFi performance on my iOS 12 devices. 
    claire1
  • Reply 8 of 16

I'm a 10.2.1 hold-out. I've been burned too many times through the years, after installing an 'upgrade' that effectively stopped some apps from working the way they did... or at all.     

[It's all about revenue-churn, right?]

I don't care to take the chance anymore, unless a 'killer app' appears, that I need and/or lust for, and requires the newer iOS.

I'll get the latest iOS when I upgrade my 2-year-old iPhone 7 Plus (that I love, FYI), probably in a couple years.

muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    gatorguy said:
    Dang, Eric got in first. 
    gatorguy said:
    Was just discussing that. I guess buying the talent rather than the company might become more common? Google did this earlier this year with HTC, buying up the engineering team and licensing the IP but leaving the rest of HTC on its own. Apple appears to be doing the same with Dialog and both seemingly for the same reasons: To take development matters into their own hands.

You were saying?

Ouch! 🤣
  • Reply 10 of 16
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    gatorguy said:
    Dang, Eric got in first. 
    gatorguy said:

You were saying?
    Gosh we're alike! We have more in common than we realized. :)
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 11 of 16
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    I’ve been using 12 on my 6s for about 2 weeks and 12.0 is already clearly better than 11.4 was. The only issue I’ve noticed is a bug where it’s hard to get safari to let you enter text in a text box (like writing a comment on AI, for example.). Anyone else noticed this?
  • Reply 12 of 16
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    MplsP said:
    I’ve been using 12 on my 6s for about 2 weeks and 12.0 is already clearly better than 11.4 was. The only issue I’ve noticed is a bug where it’s hard to get safari to let you enter text in a text box (like writing a comment on AI, for example.). Anyone else noticed this?
    I have, a few times it’s occurred. Not often, but annoying when it happens.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    MplsP said:
    Use a content blocker and try again. There are a lot of Javascript running behind the scenes causing many sorts of delays and glitches on web pages.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    Rayz2016 said:
    gatorguy said:
    Dang, Eric got in first. 
    gatorguy said:

You were saying?

Ouch! 🤣
    I don't get it :(
  • Reply 15 of 16
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    stevenoz said:

I'm a 10.2.1 hold-out. I've been burned too many times through the years, after installing an 'upgrade' that effectively stopped some apps from working the way they did... or at all.     

[It's all about revenue-churn, right?]

I don't care to take the chance anymore, unless a 'killer app' appears, that I need and/or lust for, and requires the newer iOS.

I'll get the latest iOS when I upgrade my 2-year-old iPhone 7 Plus (that I love, FYI), probably in a couple years.

iOS 12 is different. It has breathed new live into my dad's ageing iPhone 5S, it's actually really useable again! 
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 16 of 16
    I might have just hurt those stats by accident.  :smile: 

I've revived our first-ever iPhones, two 4Ss (64GB each) and am in the process of turning them into family iPod Touches for the kids (typical phone/apple apps away in a folder, kids-apps on the 1st screen, plastic+bright-silicone cases, etc).

They run iOS 9, which is a miracle of Apple's excellence given that I'm pretty sure they came out before iOS 4 (which I think added folders).
    To have them run iOS9, AND have that be enough OS to still run lots of apps, is beyond generous, into greatness.

Battery life is low now of course.  Not to plug, but we ordered 2 batteries from ifixit, one with install-kit for $17 and one without for $13.  Wish us luck getting them swapped in when they arrive, and they'll be ready for service!

With our admittedly-very-basic user-requirements, the longevity of Apple's products is miraculous: 
    • Our late-2008 Aluminum Macbook (updated RAM/HD->HD->SSD), and our late 2009 iMac (updated RAM).  Solid HW that supports new OSs for YEARs.
    • Our two iPad Mini's (the first with Retina, whichever that one is) is running iOS12 no issues.  Those are years old.
    • A friend gave us an iPad 2, that itself runs iOS9.  Sluggish and can crash Safari sometimes on modern sites, but still hanging on.  Plays kids-games and movies well.
    • When the full-sized basic iPad went to $329 when it was demoted to old-news, we got one of those and it's no nice it still feels like we stole it.
    E.

Gripe:  We did order a new laptop battery from Newertech ($99), and it didn't provide all of the expected improvement.  I wonder if it's "new" but has been degrading on a shelf for 8 years.  Haven't been able to follow-up on that though....

Cheers!