Apple begins using smaller Subaru cars to capture Apple Maps data

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple is reportedly deploying a new vehicle, the Subaru Impreza hatchback, to its fleet of vehicles driving the world to collect first-party Maps data.

Image Credit: Business Insider
Image Credit: Business Insider

Marked white Imprezas have been seen around Los Angeles, according to Business Insider. Although the cars are smaller, they're also distinguished by a new, extremely tall sensor rig, presumably housing standard equipment such as cameras and LIDAR.

Until now Apple has been relying on minivans. The Maps recon fleet is notably separate from the Lexus SUVs Apple has deployed for its self-driving car program.

Apple finally revealed that its vehicles were being used to create first-party maps in June. The company's Maps app started out with data from Google Maps, but ditched Google content in 2012 for a hodge-podge of sources including TomTom. Apple has frequently been criticized for missing or displaying inaccurate information, though complaints have diminished considerably in the past six years.

As a part of its improvements, the company is hoping to be faster to cope with road and construction changes, while also displaying more detail.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    The appendage on that Subaru reminds me of “Toad,” the mushroom character in Mario Kart.
    edited October 2018 claire1
  • Reply 2 of 15
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,248member
    How much does Apple pay the drivers? Would be a nice retirement job.
    berndog
  • Reply 3 of 15
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    Apple is reportedly deploying a new vehicle, the Subaru Impreza hatchback, to its fleet of vehicles driving the world to collect first-party Maps data.

Driving the world? Is that the case, or just the US? I certainly hope it is the world.

Also: can’t those guys stick to their lane?
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 4 of 15
    I wonder if this change is related to the Apple Maps van that was involved in a deadly crash earlier this year.

https://www.news-journal.com/news/police/driver-in-wreck-near-kilgore-dies-from-injuries/article_8cae4bdc-381b-11e8-ab66-771cdddaf270.html

The Subaru Impreza hatchback has a higher crash safety rating than the Ford Transit Connect.

claire1
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Given the focus Apple is applying to Apple Maps in the last year, I give Apple 2 more years and Apple Maps will match or exceed Google Maps.  This will coincide nicely with the auto industry's oft-stated 2020 as a launch year for autonomous cars.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Just saw one earlier this week, now I've been captured by both the Google Maps and Apple Maps cams. Gotta try for Bing now!
    claire1
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Are they zero emission vehicles...?
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Given the focus Apple is applying to Apple Maps in the last year, I give Apple 2 more years and Apple Maps will match or exceed Google Maps.  This will coincide nicely with the auto industry's oft-stated 2020 as a launch year for autonomous cars.
    I’d agree to having level 3 cars more widespread by then. Nothing beyond, however. level 5 by 2025 is increasingly considered as challenge. 
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Long term strategy simply
    canmot be having a fleet deployed and running 24/7 around the 🌏 to update any road changes. 

Om a side note/ satellite imagery in my area is much improved and appears to be updated this year (can see recent changes in our garden :) ). 
    claire1
  • Reply 10 of 15
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    canmot be having a fleet deployed and running 24/7 around the 🌏 to update any road changes. 

Om a side note/ satellite imagery in my area is much improved and appears to be updated this year (can see recent changes in our garden :) ). 
    This is what Google continues to do

• Reply 11 of 15
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    genovelle said:

There has to be an easier way....
  • Reply 12 of 15
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    claire1 said:
    genovelle said:

I would imagine there is a drone solution to this issue.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    welshdog said:
    claire1 said:
    genovelle said:

A better solution would be to collect data continuously from willing participant’s vehicles once autonomous vehicles are more common, as such vehicles will have sensors constantly scanning their surroundings.  
  • Reply 14 of 15
    welshdog said:

There are also laws in many places prohibiting the use of drones in many of the areas in which they'd be most useful. :)
  • Reply 15 of 15
    dilliedillie Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Saw a Apple vehicle twice today in Oneida, Tennessee, driving faster then the posted 35 mph. Second time the driver, a young male, run the red light at Oak Grove intersection. And he had plenty of time to stop for it!