Kanye West delivers impromptu 'keynote' at Washington Apple store

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2018
Following his meeting with President Donald Trump, rapper Kanye West visited an Apple Store in Washington, D.C., on Thursday, where he proceeded to climb atop a display table and deliver a "keynote" to gathered customers.

Kanye at Apple
Source: Jack Jenkins via Twitter

The scene was chronicled by Religion News Service reporter Jack Jenkins, who happened to be at Apple Georgetown when Kanye decided to drop in.

Shared on Twitter, Jenkins' account starts off as a celebrity sighting, but quickly takes a turn for the surreal when West asks to give an impromptu "keynote" to customers in the store.

He just asked to give a "keynote" on top a table.

He's doing it. pic.twitter.com/y30F1bU9aj

-- Jack Jenkins (@jackmjenkins)

According to Jenkins, West said he made a hat for Trump that reads "make America great," a take on the president's "Make America Great Again" or "MAGA" slogan. Trump donned the cap during his meeting with West earlier today, the rapper said, showing proof of the encounter on his iPhone.

West claimed the inclusion of "again" in Trump's catchphrase "hurts b[l]ack people," according to Jenkins.

Apple store staff refused to comment on why West was at the location, though photos shared to Twitter suggest he was attending a Genius Bar appointment. Whether employees permitted the rap guru to stand on the store's tables and address its customers, or if West's request to do so was mostly rhetorical, is unclear.

West exited the premises in as dramatic a fashion as he entered, announcing he is "going to Africa."

The bizarre chain of events followed an equally odd meeting with Trump, at which West proposed "The iPlane 1," a hydrogen-powered replacement for Air Force One. West said, "We're gonna have Apple, an American company, work on this plane with...," only to leave assembled media in the Oval Office hanging.

West is typically hot-and-cold on Apple, often lauding or comparing himself to co-founder Steve Jobs while referencing current executives in tweets and interviews. In 2016, Yeezus promised his then-new album The Life of Pablo would "never be on Apple" before pleading with fans to subscribe to Tidal, Jay-Z's music streaming service in which he once held a minor stake. Before bailing on Tidal last year, West called for Apple to buy the service and end the "beef" between the streaming competitors.

Most recently, West in October made outrageous claims that his "YZY" brand was part of Apple. "Ye" later clarified -- but not really -- that YZY works for "Eddie Q and all 123 thousand [Apple] crew members," suggesting any proposed affiliation is more spiritual than contractual.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    VicWVicW Posts: 12member
    I have no idea who Kanye thinks he is, but he is a one-man spectacle.
    bshankdoozydozen
  • Reply 2 of 52
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,356member
    Hmmm, I guess this Apple Store was simply the next designated stop on the Crazy Train. 

All aboard!
    grifmxGeorgeBMacravnorodomgilly017
  • Reply 3 of 52
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    If any non-wealthy mentally ill person climbed on top of the tables to rant he’d have been removed by security. Why do the wealthy get a pass?
    hypoluxawilliamlondonktappeCheeseFreezebshankmac_dogsweetheart777flyingdpfotoformatxbit
  • Reply 4 of 52
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member
    I'd rather my taxes go to mental health funding than endless wars.
    minicoffeeaylkbloggerblogmac_dogchristophbdoozydozensvanstromrinosaurjony0
  • Reply 5 of 52
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,418member
    If any non-wealthy mentally ill person climbed on top of the tables to rant he’d have been removed by security. Why do the wealthy get a pass?
    That's not just wealth but fame. He gets a pass because of his recognition. Why should you care? You're just nobody so no one cares and knows you enough to trust and hold you accountable or to benefit from your exposure.
    williamlondonsweetheart777doozydozenspacekidbluefire1ravnorodomjony0
  • Reply 6 of 52
    tyler82 said:

Could you imagine where the world would be if the amount of money spent on the military was instead spent on funding technological and environmental advances?

minicoffeektappeaylkbloggerblogmac_dogclaire1sweetheart777fotoformatdoozydozenGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 7 of 52
    Yep.
  • Reply 8 of 52
    tyler82 said:

Could you imagine where the world would be if the amount of money spent on the military was instead spent on funding technological and environmental advances?

Your post is ironic. TCPIP, the backbone of the internet, was invented by the US department of defence.
    JWSCwilliamlondonsweetheart777LordeHawkstevedownunderspacekidcornchipjony0
  • Reply 9 of 52
    I feel sorry for Kim and the kids. It's a shame. SMH
  • Reply 10 of 52
    Loon.
  • Reply 11 of 52
    netrox said:
    That's not just wealth but fame. He gets a pass because of his recognition. Why should you care? You're just nobody so no one cares and knows you enough to trust and hold you accountable or to benefit from your exposure.
    I care because unknown mentally ill people get executed by the police in similar situations, whereas mentally ill celebrities are rewarded. This is problematic so long as unknowns who copy this behavior run the risk of being shot by scaredy-cat-police “fearing for their lives” as they put it. 

Passing some while condemning others for the same behavior creates a poorer system than one in which the rules of engagement are uniformly applied. Consistency is safer for all involved. 
    edited October 2018 mac_dogclaire1sweetheart777flyingdpGeorgeBMaczoetmb
  • Reply 12 of 52
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Poor chap.
  • Reply 13 of 52
    majorslmajorsl Posts: 119unconfirmed, member
    Just another clown in the circus.
    SydN
  • Reply 14 of 52
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    This is the inevitable conclusion when the 'value' of something is measured in eyeballs.
    zoetmbcornchip
  • Reply 15 of 52
    I feel sorry for Kim and the kids. It's a shame. SMH
    As any married person knows, it's because of Kim and the kids, that's why he's acting crazier than usual.
    edited October 2018 claire1gilly017JWSC
  • Reply 16 of 52
    mrshowmrshow Posts: 164member
    rossb2 said:
    tyler82 said:

Your post is ironic. TCPIP, the backbone of the internet, was invented by the US department of defence.
    Which obviously means it wouldn't have been invented otherwise. 🙄
    mac_dogSydNrinosaur
  • Reply 17 of 52
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    I suspect it is all theatre. It certainly seems to be profitable.  Crazy like a fox.
    claire1
  • Reply 18 of 52
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member

rossb2 said:
    tyler82 said:

rossb2 said:
    tyler82 said:

Oh? I thought it was that Vice President from the nineties?  What was his name?
  • Reply 19 of 52
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    netrox said:
    Apparently wealth & fame absolves one from accountability, as well. 
  • Reply 20 of 52
    entropys said:

rossb2 said:
    tyler82 said:

rossb2 said:
    tyler82 said:

Oh? I thought it was that Vice President from the nineties?  What was his name?
    You are thinking of Al Gore, the inventor of the Internet.
    cornchip