Future iPhones could automatically detect nuisance callers using spoofed phone numbers

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,107member
    If an incoming call doesn't have a name, it goes to voicemail.  That's what it's for.
  • Reply 22 of 26
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member

In a related note... I got a call from another user in my exchange (XXX-XXX-nnnn) who said I called them... I'm wondering if you start 'blocking' calls if the robocallers start using YOUR phone number (thinking it's dead/disconnected, and a good candidate for spoofed robocalling).  [If I were evil... I would].  Anyone else hearing that condition happening?
    Yes. Someone called me for the same reason. I informed her she had received a junk call with a spoofed number. A spoofed number is the same area code and prefix as yours, and the last four digits are likely random, which means other people’s actual numbers are used “coincidently”.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 23 of 26
    gatorguy said:
    eightzero said:
    marvv said:
    Cool, my wifes Pixel has been doing this for a year or two now. Looking forward to this development!
    Well...that pixel might cease to do exactly this. Note the Apple patent filing.
    This article is reporting a patent application, not a patent grant. There's a huge canyon between the two.
    Well yeah, there should be, but that’s not really how it works these days. Ever since software was added to patentable things, the quality of patents (uniqueness and research to avoid duplication) has been abysmal... as the patent office said it would be when they were being lobbied by the software industry to allow patenting of software.
  • Reply 24 of 26
    Also, AI, a grammar error:

Hiding the number behind another also reduces the possibility of a scammer from being reported to the authorities.”

Remove the word “from”.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    dysamoria said:
    gatorguy said:
    eightzero said:
    marvv said:
    Cool, my wifes Pixel has been doing this for a year or two now. Looking forward to this development!
    Well...that pixel might cease to do exactly this. Note the Apple patent filing.
    This article is reporting a patent application, not a patent grant. There's a huge canyon between the two.
    Well yeah, there should be, but that’s not really how it works these days. Ever since software was added to patentable things, the quality of patents (uniqueness and research to avoid duplication) has been abysmal... as the patent office said it would be when they were being lobbied by the software industry to allow patenting of software.
    On that we agree.
  • Reply 26 of 26
    Such bravado from Apple considering APPLE does not allow the “call blocker” apps to let us block entire area codes. There’s what, something like 800 area codes for North America? A private individual may expect calls from a dozen at most. “Call blocker” apps could let us block those we don’t expect calls from or just let us white list area codes we have business within, however APPLE WONT LET THEM!!!