Kanye West delivers impromptu 'keynote' at Washington Apple store

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    entropys said:

rossb2 said:
    tyler82 said:
    I'd rather my taxes go to mental health funding than endless wars.

Could you imagine where the world would be if the amount of money spent on the military was instead spent on funding technological and environmental advances?

Your post is ironic. TCPIP, the backbone of the internet, was invented by the US department of defence.
    rossb2 said:
    tyler82 said:

Could you imagine where the world would be if the amount of money spent on the military was instead spent on funding technological and environmental advances?

Your post is ironic. TCPIP, the backbone of the internet, was invented by the US department of defence.
    Oh? I thought it was that Vice President from the nineties?  What was his name?

"During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet. I took the initiative in moving forward a whole range of initiatives that have proven to be important to our country’s economic growth and environmental protection, improvements in our educational system".

In context, Gore’s response (which employed the word “created,” not “invented”) was clear in meaning:
    the vice president was not claiming that he “invented” the Internet in the sense of having designed or implemented it, but rather that he was one of the visionaries responsible for helping to bring it into being by fostering its development in an economic and legislative sense,

To claim that Gore was seriously trying to take credit for the “invention” of the Internet is, frankly, just silly political posturing that arose out of a close presidential campaign.

From Snopes.... 2016
    edited October 2018 AppleZuluclaire1
  • Reply 42 of 52
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    entropys said:

rossb2 said:
    tyler82 said:

rossb2 said:
    tyler82 said:

Oh? I thought it was that Vice President from the nineties?  What was his name?
    Gore never actually said that he invented the internet in the sense that he himself had designed or engineered it.   What he actually said was this:  "During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet. I took the initiative in moving forward a whole range of initiatives that have proven to be important to our country’s economic growth and environmental protection, improvements in our educational system."   
  • Reply 43 of 52
    zimmiezimmie Posts: 651member
    rossb2 said:
    tyler82 said:

TCP and IP are two radically different protocols. Neither was really invented by DARPA. The paper "A Protocol for Packet Network Intercommunication" was published by the IEEE in 1974, then the TCP portions were grandfathered in as RFC 675 when the IETF was formed in 1986. Bob Khan worked for DARPA at the time, but Vint Cerf worked for Stanford (he worked for DARPA later, from 1976 until 1982).
    svanstromJWSC
  • Reply 44 of 52
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    So much hate speech in this thread...
    No.  Just because one thinks that Kanye has a monstrous ego and is actually untalented at anything but promoting himself doesn't make someone a racist.  If he were white or Asian or Hispanic or Arab or Israeli or Russian or from India or whatever, I'd feel exactly the same way.   He could be a guy from my neighborhood and I'd feel the same way,

Every time I see or hear this guy, I cringe.  It has nothing to do with racism.  It has to do with the way he conducts himself and what he says, which frequently does sound insane.   And maybe being a baby boomer I'm just too old, but I can't stand any of his "music", although I'll admit that there's little new music out there that I do like.  
  • Reply 45 of 52
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    crowley said:
    dewme said:
    In retrospect I feel bad about the "Crazy Train" comment. Having dealt with a number of individuals with mental health issues, including family members, I suspect there is a high likelihood (pending professional evaluation) that Mr West has some unresolved and untreated issues beyond sleep deprivation (which is a serious concern in and of itself). Putting his rants up in a public forum for all the world to see is not fair to Mr West and makes him a target of criticism and does not help him get the professional help that he probably needs. The good news is that based on similar previous episodes that have been shown in the public eye, he does appear to be resilient and able to handle the backlash that results from his rants and tirades. What makes this latest episode most troubling is that the WH was trying to use Mr West and Jim Brown for political leverage and the whole deal just blew up into a cringe worthy sideshow, which was predictable considering the participants.
    Whether West is mentally ill or just a jerk is a matter of debate.
    But, assuming that he is mentally ill, my experience as a psych nurse caring for crazy people who were living in the community, was that those who accepted and understood their condition did far better than those who denied being crazy....   Actually, acceptance is the first step to a better life.   So, perhaps, if he is in fact mentally ill, being a target of criticism might help his acceptance and the resulting treatment.
    "I hate being bi-polar, it's awesome"

I don't think he denies it.
    Ah!  I wasn't aware he was bipolar.
    That explains his actions -- fairly typical of the illness.

As for accepting his illness, bipolar is a different animal.   Those who have it, although being aware that they have it, tend to lose both control and awareness during a manic episode.  Although i have never seen any become an actual physical danger to themselves or others, they will often do some really stupid stuff that has other ramifications -- such as standing on a table in an Apple store giving a political lecture.  

It is why police need to be trained and aware to identify this and act accordingly.  And, the person with bipolar needs resources to support them during an episode - otherwise bad things can happen to them (like time in a jail cell and, when it happens when they have little control of their words and actions, they can get hurt).

• Reply 46 of 52
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    zoetmb said:
    So much hate speech in this thread...
    No.  Just because one thinks that Kanye has a monstrous ego and is actually untalented at anything but promoting himself doesn't make someone a racist.  If he were white or Asian or Hispanic or Arab or Israeli or Russian or from India or whatever, I'd feel exactly the same way.   He could be a guy from my neighborhood and I'd feel the same way,

Every time I see or hear this guy, I cringe.  It has nothing to do with racism.  It has to do with the way he conducts himself and what he says, which frequently does sound insane.   And maybe being a baby boomer I'm just too old, but I can't stand any of his "music", although I'll admit that there's little new music out there that I do like.  
    Who said “racist”?
  • Reply 47 of 52
    Hmmm. This guy seems like the only place he is headed to is a mental health facility. Sad really. And I agree with an earlier post if he wasn’t famous he would’ve been carted out by some form of security. 
  • Reply 48 of 52
    macgui said:
    If any non-wealthy mentally ill person climbed on top of the tables to rant he’d have been removed by security. Why do the wealthy get a pass?
    Wealth had little do to with it. He's famous, or more accurately infamous, and he's black, even if he can't spell it. Removing anybody from that table  except a violent person would be problematic. Removing a black person would have been a PR nightmare. As he was doing no real harm, better just to let him rant and be on his way

mac_dog said:
    Apparently wealth & fame absolves one from accountability, as well. 
    It's, as they say, 'the optics'. I don't know that he'd get a pass a second time.

entropys said:
    Crazy like a fox.
    You're half-right. But I agree, all theatre. Cue Jon Lovitz.

The Trump/Kanye/Cap thing is all theater and ludicrous. Somebody should have tweeted 'Ludacris at the Apple Store!' That would have really set him off. ROFL.

Kanye's been smoking' Elon's sh t.

What the hell him being black has to do with anything? He’s Kanye West who is famous and apparently having some issues. I’m no professional to accurately comment on his mental state but his behavior makes me wonder. But fame more than race is at play here imo. 
  • Reply 49 of 52
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    gilly017 said:
    What the hell him being black has to do with anything? He’s Kanye West who is famous and apparently having some issues. I’m no professional to accurately comment on his mental state but his behavior makes me wonder. But fame more than race is at play here imo. 
    If he'd not been black, the odds are much greater that the impromptu 'keynote' would have been curtailed, or at least some effort would have been made to stop it. Again, that would be a no win situation for Apple, as I explained earlier.

I'll grant that fame also played some part, but I think that in this case, race was definitely a factor. And had he been interrupted and asked to step down, imo we would have seen that card played, and without subtly and finesse.

Fame and ego weren't the only factors that let him think it was ok to climb onto a display table. 
  • Reply 50 of 52
    mrshow said:
    rossb2 said:
    tyler82 said:

Which obviously means it wouldn't have been invented otherwise. 🙄

• Reply 50 of 52
    SydNSydN Posts: 8member
    rossb2 said:
    tyler82 said:

Yes, because of huge funding and resources the’ve received !
  • Reply 52 of 52
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    macgui said:
    entropys said:
    Crazy like a fox.
    You're half-right. But I agree, all theatre. Cue Jon Lovitz.

The Trump/Kanye/Cap thing is all theater and ludicrous. Somebody should have tweeted 'Ludacris at the Apple Store!' That would have really set him off. ROFL.

Kanye's been smoking' Elon's sh t.

LOL
    edited October 2018