Apple's iPhone XR will launch with an official clear plastic case

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    Way to undo all of that hard work being environmentally friendly. 
    What nonsense. Having a plastic product doesn’t undo the inherit recyclability of their products. Did you say the same about the plastic AirPods?
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 22 of 39

Hey, I love Apple. And i gladly pay a premiuim for their electronics. But i do draw the line at covers & cases. It’s not about the money as much as its about the principle. Again, i am the biggest Apple fanboy there is, but come on...their cases aren’t leagues better than 3rd party cases like their devices & software are from the competition. They just aren’t. $40 for a clear plastic case? Nah. I bet the good quality 3rd party cases & covers are made in the same factories that make the Apple versions anyway. I’ve only had one apple cover. It came free with my first ipad mini. All the rest of my covers for my iphones & ipads have been 3rd party ones for $10 or less. Guess what? The ONLY cover that hasn’t survived is my ipad mini cover from Apple. The fabric has torn and peeled off on the corners. Just saying.

On a side note, I wrote Tim Cook about the use of leather in their accessory cases. Apple is always touting itself as the greenest company. Using leather for their cases flys in the face of that admirable goal. I suggested they use other materials. Faux leather is just as good and they could easily set the trend for other companies. People would gladly accept this choice. They’re Apple! They can do anything. Of course they’d still charge a premium for their faux leather cases. Lol

Use of leather and being green with energy and recycling are not mutually exclusive.
    patchythepirateclaire1anantksundaram
  • Reply 23 of 39

Hey, I love Apple. And i gladly pay a premiuim for their electronics. But i do draw the line at covers & cases. It’s not about the money as much as its about the principle. Again, i am the biggest Apple fanboy there is, but come on...their cases aren’t leagues better than 3rd party cases like their devices & software are from the competition. They just aren’t. $40 for a clear plastic case? Nah. I bet the good quality 3rd party cases & covers are made in the same factories that make the Apple versions anyway. I’ve only had one apple cover. It came free with my first ipad mini. All the rest of my covers for my iphones & ipads have been 3rd party ones for $10 or less. Guess what? The ONLY cover that hasn’t survived is my ipad mini cover from Apple. The fabric has torn and peeled off on the corners. Just saying.

On a side note, I wrote Tim Cook about the use of leather in their accessory cases. Apple is always touting itself as the greenest company. Using leather for their cases flys in the face of that admirable goal. I suggested they use other materials. Faux leather is just as good and they could easily set the trend for other companies. People would gladly accept this choice. They’re Apple! They can do anything. Of course they’d still charge a premium for their faux leather cases. Lol

I love the Apple leather cases and don’t want a faux leather one. 
    That’s cool. Buy what makes you happy. I was talking to Apple. They are always touting about how proud they are being the greenest company in the world. But slaughtering cows to make covers for your iPads & iPhones is not very environmentally friendly. Just sayin.
    No, you weren’t talking to Apple since this isn’t apple - this is a rumors and news forum comprised of users.
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 24 of 39

That’s cool. Buy what makes you happy. I was talking to Apple. They are always touting about how proud they are the greenest company in the world. But slaughtering cows to make covers for your iPads & iPhones is not very environmentally friendly. Just sayin.
    Based on your logic all folks/tribes living close to nature are not very environmentally friendly as they slaughter animals for food, clothing, housing, tools etc. 
    Are you really arguing that some plastic material is more environmentally friendly? And how do you know they don’t use skin off animals used for meat? Or is eating meat environmentally unfriendly as well in your opinion? 
    Ugh. Not going to get into a debate with you about the obvious moral, ethical & environmental issues here. We aren’t talking about tribes killing animals to survive. We are talking about a Trillion dollar company that touts...no Brags about being the most ethical & environmentally conscious company in the world. Using leather from slaughtered animals on the size & scale that Apple does is hypocrisy plain & simple. I am not talking about individual choices here, or about individual people being perfect. Everyone from both sides of this argument can point out hypocrisies. Perfection is the enemy of the good when it comes to progress. We can all try to be better stewards of the environment. But companies like Apple that supposedly lead the way in environmental causes, should be held under tighter scrutiny. If you are gonna preach, you should walk your talk.
    It’s always nice and easy to make allegations without proof. 
    What allegations? Just stating facts. Facts are the proof. If you think that mass Factory farming & slaughter houses are sustainable, let alone ethical or moral...you’d be wrong. I try to avoid plastics where I can, but unlike the wholesale slaughter of animals, they can be recycled. Once you kill an animal and use it, it’s dead. You just breed and breed and kill and kill. It’s a vicious & indefensible cycle of death and destruction. Don’t take my word for it. Take the smartest man in human history, Albert Einstein who said “Nothing will benefit human health & increase the chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet.”
    No, those are opinions, not facts.

Do you suppose Einstein knew what an Appeal to False Authority was? I do. 

https://www.logicallyfallacious.com/tools/lp/Bo/LogicalFallacies/244/Appeal-to-False-Authority
    edited October 2018 randominternetpersonbeowulfschmidtanantksundaram
  • Reply 25 of 39
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    IMO, this case should be included free with the phone (along with a more powerful charger).
  • Reply 26 of 39
    dougddougd Posts: 292member
    That's super pricey for a clear case. Aftermarket clear cases are cheap
    larz2112
  • Reply 27 of 39

That’s cool. Buy what makes you happy. I was talking to Apple. They are always touting about how proud they are being the greenest company in the world. But slaughtering cows to make covers for your iPads & iPhones is not very environmentally friendly. Just sayin.
    No, you weren’t talking to Apple since this isn’t apple - this is a rumors and news forum comprised of users.
    No...if you read my original post, I wrote to Tim Cook. So I was talking to Apple. Durp.
    larz2112
  • Reply 28 of 39

That’s cool. Buy what makes you happy. I was talking to Apple. They are always touting about how proud they are the greenest company in the world. But slaughtering cows to make covers for your iPads & iPhones is not very environmentally friendly. Just sayin.
    Based on your logic all folks/tribes living close to nature are not very environmentally friendly as they slaughter animals for food, clothing, housing, tools etc. 
    Are you really arguing that some plastic material is more environmentally friendly? And how do you know they don’t use skin off animals used for meat? Or is eating meat environmentally unfriendly as well in your opinion? 
    Ugh. Not going to get into a debate with you about the obvious moral, ethical & environmental issues here. We aren’t talking about tribes killing animals to survive. We are talking about a Trillion dollar company that touts...no Brags about being the most ethical & environmentally conscious company in the world. Using leather from slaughtered animals on the size & scale that Apple does is hypocrisy plain & simple. I am not talking about individual choices here, or about individual people being perfect. Everyone from both sides of this argument can point out hypocrisies. Perfection is the enemy of the good when it comes to progress. We can all try to be better stewards of the environment. But companies like Apple that supposedly lead the way in environmental causes, should be held under tighter scrutiny. If you are gonna preach, you should walk your talk.
    It’s always nice and easy to make allegations without proof. 
    What allegations? Just stating facts. Facts are the proof. If you think that mass Factory farming & slaughter houses are sustainable, let alone ethical or moral...you’d be wrong. I try to avoid plastics where I can, but unlike the wholesale slaughter of animals, they can be recycled. Once you kill an animal and use it, it’s dead. You just breed and breed and kill and kill. It’s a vicious & indefensible cycle of death and destruction. Don’t take my word for it. Take the smartest man in human history, Albert Einstein who said “Nothing will benefit human health & increase the chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet.”
    Can we agree that Apple isn't in the meat business?  Apple isn't marketing or promoting the consumption of meat.  Having said that, that industry exists and is thriving.  The market for meat, produces a number of by-products, including hides that can be used to make leather.  Which is more environmentally friendly, taking that by-product and using it or throwing it away or burning it?  If and when, the meat industry doesn't generate enough hides to satisfy the worldwide demand for leather, so that people are raising and slaughtering cows just for their hides, then it would make sense for Apple to use less leather.  Until then, good for you Apple.  Don't let those skins go to waste.
    patchythepirateartdentclaire1
  • Reply 29 of 39
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    larz2112 said:
    Am I the only person on earth who couldn't care less about the color or finish on the backside of my iPhone? I always get the black or space grey because it seriously doesn't matter to me. 
    Agreed. I also do not care about how thin the bezel is.
    Typing on the X S and still think Face ID and no home button is a waste of money. 

It is a phone, people. It’s not something important like a Mac.
  • Reply 30 of 39
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member
    $55 for 3¢ worth of plastic, only Apple!
    davgreglarz2112
  • Reply 31 of 39

Faux leather, you gotta be F kidding me. Leather is natural material that ages and gets a platina while you use it. I can use a leather case for 3-4 years, a leather pair of shoes last me 4-6 years if I repair them. Most plastic just deteriorates and yellowish after a year. It all comes down to how sustainable and  responsibly the materials are produced and manufactured, which Apple probably have a pretty good grip around.

• Reply 32 of 39
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    I’d love an Apple clear case for my Max.
    claire1
  • Reply 33 of 39
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    larz2112 said:
    Am I the only person on earth who couldn't care less about the color or finish on the backside of my iPhone? I always get the black or space grey because it seriously doesn't matter to me. 
    If it doesn't matter to you, why aren't you getting the silver or (rose) gold?
  • Reply 34 of 39
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    gutengel said:

Faux leather, you gotta be F kidding me. Leather is natural material that ages and gets a platina while you use it. I can use a leather case for 3-4 years, a leather pair of shoes last me 4-6 years if I repair them. Most plastic just deteriorates and yellowish after a year. It all comes down to how sustainable and  responsibly the materials are produced and manufactured, which Apple probably have a pretty good grip around.

The irony is that plastic will actually last forever and pollute the planet, while leather breaks down eventually if you stop caring for it. 

Btw, you need to get better shoes. I just gave away a pair of leather shoes after twenty years because they no longer fit my style. They'd been repaired twice I think. 
  • Reply 35 of 39
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    larz2112 said:
    Geeze, you just know that any post that starts with that egotistical declaration is going to be followed by a dumbass statement.

You don't care about the color finish, only to always select the same color because you don't care about color? 

If you care so little about color, why would you possibly care about what other people care about? Geeze.

And will in the dumass posts department, Apple slaughtering cows for the leather? Really? Did that guy say that aloud before clicking Post? Do you not think that those cows were raised for a purpose in addition to providing leather? Or did PETA send you secret footage of Schiller, Federighi, and Ive slaughtering cattle, and leaving their dead carcasses in the field to rot? At least post your evidence.

As far as Apple accessory pricing is concerned, yes, it's really pricy. Overpriced. But generally their accessories are of a better quality than most if not all third-party kit. Some people find a balance of low cost and lower quality and are ok with it. Sometimes, good enough is good enough. The leather bands, cases, and covers I've purchased from Apple have always been superior to anything a third party vendor sells. But pricey. And I'm ok with that. If this clear case wears well and doesn't yellow, it would be worth the money to me, instead of buying a half-dozen cheap cases, that will absolutely yellow.

In the meantime let me help Apple be eco-friendly. I'll have a leather case and a rib-eye, rare, thank you.
    claire1
  • Reply 36 of 39
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    mike1 said:
    Be great if their clear case doesn't yellow over time, like everything else I've seen.
    Some of the best ones, anywhere from $15 to $30 actually don't yellow over time. But $40? 

It better be something special.
  • Reply 37 of 39
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member

You're the type who would blame Apple for all of the planets issues and ignore the actual source.

Instead of emailing Cook, why not email all the factory farms that abuse cows daily for decades?
  • Reply 38 of 39
    I've had a clear case on my 6 Plus for three years - it was only $15, I think. Admittedly, I haven't dropped it, so Apple's case might be better, but I think $40 is beyond what I'd pay for a new one.
  • Reply 39 of 39
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    claire1 said:

You're the type who would blame Apple for all of the planets issues and ignore the actual source.

Instead of emailing Cook, why not email all the factory farms that abuse cows daily for decades?
    Because he/she is full of sh** and came to an Apple centric website to troll under the guise of fake fanboy. It’s so tired anymore. To even suggest that Apple is slaughtering cows to just make iPhone cases tells us how legitimate this person is as an Apple fan. It took around 3 posts I think until the “hypocrisy” line came out.

This whole of Apple is green, leather cases negate all of the green initiatives by the company. Making sure to sprinkle in the “ trillion dollar “ company BS a couple of times for good measure.  Hahaha. Unreal.