CVS Apple Pay rollout in US complete after long struggle with CurrentC

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Appleish said:
    Finally. I have 8 CVSs within a mile of me. The closest Walgreens is 5 miles away.

Target? Your turn...
    I would drive the 5 miles.
  • Reply 22 of 26
    Yeah, that line about Apple getting 30% of the retail price was what corporate overlords at CVS told the store managers to say.

That "30% of every transaction" is the number bandied about because that's what Apple receives for apps in the App Store-- the transaction fees for Apple Pay are not related to this at all, and amounts to roughly 0.15% of the total transaction total, which means that Apple gets 15c on a $100 transaction. Ultilmately, that payment comes from the bank, not the store.

The stores already pay a fee to take credit cards-- and the Apple Pay fee is part of that fee.
    edited October 2018 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 23 of 26
    kenckenc Posts: 195member
    Used Pay at CVS Pharmacy twice yesterday. Finally, almost switched, but drug prices are so different between pharmacies, the lowest prices, trump convenience, but barely!
  • Reply 24 of 26
    Appleish said:
    Finally. I have 8 CVSs within a mile of me. The closest Walgreens is 5 miles away.

Target? Your turn...
    I have a CVS within a mile of me. Because of Apple Pay, I drive about 6 miles each way to Walgreens. And I'm betting I can still get to Walgreens, get what I want and get home faster than if I go to CVS.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 25 of 26
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    kenc said:
    Used Pay at CVS Pharmacy twice yesterday. Finally, almost switched, but drug prices are so different between pharmacies, the lowest prices, trump convenience, but barely!
    Yeh, the difference in drug prices can be huge.   But it does swing both ways.  Unfortunately BigPharma has put gag orders on pharmacists to block any and all transparency. 

But, all things being equal, I'll shop at the place that has proven itself to value me, my business and my personal data.
  • Reply 26 of 26

eightzero said:
    ocmikem said:
    lkrupp said:
    CVS is a big one to finally get onboard. I think we’ll be waiting a long time for Walmart to get its act together. Even my local independent coffee shop accepts Pay. They use a simple Square terminal that does it all.
    Heck. I set up a small booth at the local swap meet and I even accept ApplePay
    I get cranky at Safeway when their terminals fail. They adopted about a year ago, and I was thrilled. But their vendor system works about 80% of the time. Last time I was there, I was paying with my Apple Watch, and lady behind me in line was intrigued and fascinated. Then the reader failed. I said, quite loudly in fact, "it is because SAFEWAY's implementation of great technology is terrible. This works flawless everywhere else, like TRADER JOES and WALGREENS so I can rely on GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE." 
    ACME grocery stores must use the same vendor. I double click my watch and instead of a ding, the terminal just clicks at me for a few seconds. About 1 in 5 of their terminals work correctly. Trader Joes, Whole Foods, Shoprite, and Giant all work perfectly.