Saudi journalist used Apple Watch to record own interrogation and execution, report says [...

Comments

• Reply 41 of 64
    lenn said:
    If CNN reported that water is wet I wouldn't believe them. CNN like most other American "news" outlets are in business to make money and create controversy so more people will watch them and their advertisers content. The Washington Post is the same.

Is it anything like Trump saying hurricanes are "wet, very wet, with lots of water"?

If you believe Faux "News" is true and accurate, then you have no clue what's really going on in the world around you. Go back under your rock. 

In all honesty, ALL major "news" media outlets are terrible. They're all run by various parts of government, and NOBODY should be watching ANY of them. 
    Awesome job kicking the guy with your right foot, while cutting off your left.
    You've ultimately shown you know nothing about journalism.
  • Reply 42 of 64
    mcdave said:
    Typical...not to sound too cynical...but as you look around the world, (all hemispheres), there are no real wars left.

Except in the Middle East!

Yes, there are regional problems, as with the Royhinga in Myanmar, whatever is going on in the Philippines and, of course, Crimea/Ukraine.

Only the Middle East continues to be an area of the world that has not obliged itself of the success as have the emerging markets of India, Brazil, China, Africa, Vietnam, etc., etc.

E.g., China, a country of ~1.4 billion people has lifted half their population out of poverty and had ~10% growth in GDP (YOY) for the last 30 years...(Down to ~7% growth, currently, I think?)

Islam needs a Reformation. Similar to what happened to Christendom in the 16th century. (You know, where God told us to burn more Catholics b/c it was 'cold' outside!)  s/

Oh well, don't mean to sound like I know everything...

Saudi Arabia is not our friend! They're too concerned with fighting a 2,500 year old regional war with 'Persia' (i.e., Iran)

:)

P.S. Why is 'Arabia' at war with 'Persia' you might ask? Yes, Arabia are Sunni Muslims, and Persia are Shia Muslims. But, one sect believes the caliphate should be a direct descendent of the Prophet Muhammad and one sect doesn't. Are you f'ing kidding me!  'Que so what, so what' or better yet, 'Inshallah.'
    You mean they need to surrender their free will like the rest of us did.  Perhaps they’re the only ones left who can save us.
    Not sure who you mean by 'they?' :)
  • Reply 43 of 64
    Ciprol said:
    Typical...not to sound too cynical...but as you look around the world, (all hemispheres), there are no real wars left.

Except in the Middle East!
    Islam needs a Reformation. Similar to what happened to Christendom in the 16th century. (You know, where God told us to burn more Catholics b/c it was 'cold' outside!)  s/
    They have OIL and the West can't help themselves but to continue to meddle and stir in the region. Two Iraq wars, endless supply of weapons and military expertise to Israel for decades, the support of Middle Eastern dictators (Shah of Iran, Saddam Hussain of Iraq etc). Whilst it's hard to understand the sectarian conflicts amongst the various Middle Eastern countries, the West is hardly without liabilities with its divide and conquer strategy.
    Agreed.
  • Reply 44 of 64
    It seems to me that there is enough suspicion for both Saudis and Turks given the situation. Can we trust either party at this point and jump to conclusions. Certainly, WaPo and CNN have demonstrated serious credibility issues, using every opportunity to attack the Trump administration. Just the real facts please, no speculation, but we may never have those either!
  • Reply 45 of 64
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Journalism is another form of business making money/living, so Saudis said "nothing personal, it is just a business", kill him. This guy shouldn't mess around with Saudis but respect their culture and whatever form of government.. It is none of his business to criticize someone you don't provide food/shelter and pay bills.

• Reply 46 of 64
    I’ve been using the “Just Press Record” app for a long time to record ideas while out running. They all get synced automatically to the iCloud Files app. Later I listen to my recordings on my iPhone or iPad. If this guy was still in Bluetooth range or on the public WIFI I could see this happening easily.
  • Reply 47 of 64
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    mike54 said:
    lenn said:
    If CNN reported that water is wet I wouldn't believe them. CNN like most other American "news" outlets are in business to make money and create controversy so more people will watch them and their advertisers content. The Washington Post is the same.

Very true. And the same with Wall Street Journal, New York Times, Bloomberg, and others.
    So you prefer propaganda over truth?   OK, it's a free country.   People fought & died for your right to be deceived.
    christopher126radarthekatCarnage
  • Reply 48 of 64

Is it possible this reporter was tortured and executed? Most assuredly, if you look into his background and history. The man had a huge target on his head. Were there a whole lot of reasons for him to be targeted? Well, what’s public versus what the intelligence agencies know are two different things. But looking at what is public knowledge certainly draws a clear picture that he was a serious enemy of the Saudi Royal Crown Prince and not just because of his journalism. He was definitely playing dangerous games. Which makes it very risky to waltz into the Saudi Consolate in Turkey.  
    That sounds a lot like victim blaming. What evidence do you offer that he was an enemy combatant?
    No, I don't think so.   It just means that certain powerful people feared him and didn't like him.   Not all gangsters are in the Mafia.
  • Reply 49 of 64
    glfrost said:
    It seems to me that there is enough suspicion for both Saudis and Turks given the situation. Can we trust either party at this point and jump to conclusions. Certainly, WaPo and CNN have demonstrated serious credibility issues, using every opportunity to attack the Trump administration. Just the real facts please, no speculation, but we may never have those either!
    Reporting the truth isn't an attack.  But, since Trump has no concept of truth, he can't tell the difference.  Or rather, it makes no difference to him.   To him, the press is only free to support him and to praise him.
    radarthekat
  • Reply 50 of 64
    mike54 said:
    lenn said:

Very true. And the same with Wall Street Journal, New York Times, Bloomberg, and others.
    So you prefer propaganda over truth?   OK, it's a free country.   People fought & died for your right to be deceived.
    I agree w/ you, George. One can say the WSJ has a certain perspective and NYT has a different perspective. But, I also would say that both newspapers, albeit not perfect, put a lot of effort into being factual. To lump them altogether as corrupt, as Mike54 seems to think, is just asinine.
    edited October 2018 GeorgeBMacCarnagefastasleep
  • Reply 51 of 64
    gilly017 said:
    lenn said:
    Hmmm. You make good points.

Certainly, having news organizations owned by 'entertainment' or other corporations is deleterious to good news reporting and one could argue, democracy in general.

We would all be better served if we didn't watch either FoxNews or MSNBC. I agree they are pugilists and provocateurs.

One could make the argument not to watch TV altogether. (Except Fareed Zakaria's GPS on CNN- the best and most intelligent news show on television.)

Essentially, we should read more.

Here's an idea...

Start with Time Magazine and if you think it's a bit biased, take out a subscription to the WSJ or the Economist and read that as well.

Then take an empirical approach to understanding the problems confronting the world, instead of, parroting an opinion of the last person you spoke to. 

P.S. Thomas Jefferson said, he'd prefer "newspapers w/o government" over "government w/o newspapers." (ca 1787)

Gives one pause. Or it should.

Best.
    You are awesome!!!
    Thanks, Gilly! Nice of you to say. :)
    radarthekat
  • Reply 52 of 64
    backstab said:
    lenn said:

This is, of course, complete horseshit. 
    Unnecessarily dismissive and does very little to forward your argument.

No offense, of course. :)
    Really?
    If that's how you describe his comment; then how would you describe the original comment that he was replying to?
    Sorry, I actually agree with FastaSleep...I just think calling something 'horse shit' is infantile.

My bad. :)
  • Reply 53 of 64
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 1,989member
    mike54 said:
    lenn said:

I agree w/ you, George. One can say the WSJ has a certain perspective and NYT has a different perspective. But, I also would say that both newspapers, albeit not perfect, put a lot of effort into being factual. To lump them altogether as corrupt, as Mike54 seems to think, is just asinine.
    The statement at the beginning of this chain is the most foolish of all. “If [X] reported that water is wet I wouldn’t believe them.” That’s not independent thought; it’s a statement of pure bias, and not on the part of news outlet X. Water is wet, by definition. If news outlet X reports that water is wet, then they are reporting the truth. Refusing to believe that water is wet just because you don’t like news outlet X, and they reported it, is to reject the truth. Rejecting the truth because of personal bias is foolishness. There is a big difference between exercising critical thought and just succumbing to blind tribalism.
    radarthekatGeorgeBMacmuthuk_vanalingamfastasleep
  • Reply 54 of 64
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    AppleZulu said:
    mike54 said:
    lenn said:

The statement at the beginning of this chain is the most foolish of all. “If [X] reported that water is wet I wouldn’t believe them.” That’s not independent thought; it’s a statement of pure bias, and not on the part of news outlet X. Water is wet, by definition. If news outlet X reports that water is wet, then they are reporting the truth. Refusing to believe that water is wet just because you don’t like news outlet X, and they reported it, is to reject the truth. Rejecting the truth because of personal bias is foolishness. There is a big difference between exercising critical thought and just succumbing to blind tribalism.
    Agreed.  It’s the whole difference. 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 55 of 64
    wanderso said:
    I carry 2 iPhones every day and have an Apple Watch. One phone is for work and only contains work related items; the other is personal. I agree there are some holes in the article, but getting the file to iCloud over WiFi, Bluetooth or the like is plausible. I agree from the photos that, if public WiFi was not available, his watch may have made it to being in range of his iPhone. It is possible that his work / second iPhone was with him, or he is smart to only bring an iPhone with him for dangerous settings that does not reveal personal details about family or incriminating evidence from the sources he interviews. 

One other thought: he was in the US before Turkey. How do we know for certain that he didn’t have a cellular capable Apple Watch that he purchased in the US and it somehow was on a cellular network in Turkey after all?  Just because it isn’t sold there doesn’t mean that the infrastructure isn’t there. Perhaps it was spoofed to look like a phone rather than an Apple Watch on cellular. Also, how do we know for sure that a cellular watch purchased in the   US can’t be used on a network in Turkey as part of a roaming plan? This guy knew that entering this Saudi building in Turkey was the most dangerous thing he would probably ever do. I have to think that he would make creative preparations with what he knew about his government. Yep - I know this is the least likely option. 
    Apple Watch bought in the US cannot roam in any other country. Not even in Canada. I’ve tested this and spoke with both my carrier and with Apple about this. The watch would have to be enrolled in a local carrier plan to be able to function autonomously on LTE. This autonomous LTE functionality for the Apple Watch is not available in Turkey. 
  • Reply 56 of 64
    Of course there are third-party options, but why doesn’t Apple offer Voice Memos on Apple Watch!?
    edited October 2018 anantksundaramfastasleep
  • Reply 57 of 64
    Of course there are third-party options, but why doesn’t Apple offer Voice Memos on Apple Watch!?
    Good question! (I've wondered the same re. Weather for the iPad)
  • Reply 58 of 64
    backstab said:
    Sorry, I actually agree with FastaSleep...I just think calling something 'horse shit' is infantile.

My bad. :)
    It's a pretty old school term. Hardly "infantile".
  • Reply 59 of 64
    Christian A.Christian A. Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    If this is accurate reporting, where is the recording? Proof, people, PROOF!
  • Reply 60 of 64
    JavedJaved Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    If someone folishly connect the watch wifi and there is option once connected to the wifi data automatically transfer to the icloud or iPhone. Mostly close person have the icloud pwd specially when have serious threat