Google is downplaying Android to focus its future on Chrome OS

Comments

• Reply 61 of 100
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,244member
    gatorguy said:
    Wow someone here is really worried about Google for some reason. Not sure why.
    He used to be obsessed with Microsoft. Now it's Android. 

And that's perfectly OK. IMO no need for personal attacks on forum members who are connected to neither Apple nor Google. I myself am done with any attempt to have a healthy exchange. It's totally unconstructive and only distracting. 
    If you weren’t a Mac user in the 90’s you probably don’t have the inate hatred of M$ that many of us do, but similar to a sports rivalry that fades because one of the teams is no longer good, Android has replaced Windows on the hate scale for modern Apple fans. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 62 of 100
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,625member
    hexclock said:
    gatorguy said:

And that's perfectly OK. IMO no need for personal attacks on forum members who are connected to neither Apple nor Google. I myself am done with any attempt to have a healthy exchange. It's totally unconstructive and only distracting. 
    If you weren’t a Mac user in the 90’s you probably don’t have the inate hatred of M$ that many of us do, but similar to a sports rivalry that fades because one of the teams is no longer good, Android has replaced Windows on the hate scale for modern Apple fans. 
    But why? Google? I very much doubt it. 

I disliked Microsoft as much as the next guy in the nineties as their monopolistic practices were actively and negatively affecting the the Mac.

Google provided many services that eventually gave users great alternatives. They still do, in a mobile dominated world. Most iOS users actively use those services and users like me use both iOS and Android daily.

And far from hating Android, I prefer my flavour of Android over iOS on a phone.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 63 of 100
    Okay.

What was Google supposed to do?

The whole point of purchasing a smaller corporation, in IT, is to take those ideas and incorporate it into your own tech.  Google would be incredibly dense to just continue with Android and not develop their own operating system.  The OEMs would be just as dumb.  Most OEMs do not have the resources to create their own OS but Samsung does.

When Apple bought Next is it any surprise to anyone that their OS became the basis for macOS?  So how is what Google is doing any different?  How is it any different than what Microsoft did with DOS?  

This is revisionist history.  What is good for the goose is good for the gander.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 64 of 100
    chasm said:
    I have some issues with the conclusions this editorial (and writer generally) continually leap to — he’s the mirror-universe version of Rob “Apple is doooooomed” Enderle. However, I agree that Google is tired of losing money on Android, and the way its partners pollute the experience (even though, like Microsoft’s Windows, this was a conscious decision on their part to increase adoption).

The lure of not having to share any of the masses of harvested data from users must be very alluring as well. To the surprise of nobody here, Google appears to be discovering (like Microsoft in recent years) that controlling the entire experience to the best extent possible results in higher profits, a better experience for users (minus the whole data-collecting thing, of course), and generally better overall products.

Who could have possibly foreseen this? LOL

As a side note: if future versions of Android do continue to go in the direction of Windows (a mediocre-at-best system that sacrifices quality for the widest possible compatibility), leaving Chrome eventually as the sole “pure” experience, this would delight me no end — as it would really clarify the differences between the Google and Apple platforms to enough of a level that most laymen would finally grasp easily.
    Maybe the past is the future and everyone goes back to controlling the entire experience.  I'm thinking Atari, Commodore, etc.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 65 of 100
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    gatorguy said:
    melgross said:
    cropr said:
    Again, Daniel misses a key point while focusing on technical issues and (direct) profits.
    Specifically, he forgets what Google's core business is:   Gathering user information to be used to build advertising revenue.   (They collect your information and sell it)

100% agreed.  In fact,  suppose that Windows Mobile (with Bing) and not Android had 80% market share.   Google  would be nowhere in mobile search. 

In that respect Android is the most successful marketing channel on the planet, boosting the top and bottom line of the Adwords.   Any company would love to have such a failure in its portfolio

And to show just how important that advertising is to Google, they are paying Apple $9 billion this year to be the default search engine, and possibly as much as $12 billion next year. When I read those numbers, I almost fell out of my chair.
    I don't think everyone understands that "as much as $9B" is a guess by an analyst, not fact. Neither Apple nor Google has ever discussed what the monetary arrangements are.
    It wasn’t greeted with shock in the industry though. It’s very likely a pretty good guesstimate. Keep in mind that google acknowledges that iOS is half (at least) of their mobile income. It’s been since the beginning. When mobile was a minority of their search results, it was said that they were paying Apple $1 billion a year. That was quite a while ago. But now, a good 70% of internet use is on mobile. Correspondingly, Apple’s proportion of their income is way up. Google’s a big company these days, and so it makes sense that their payments are way up too.

don’t forget that Google gets zero from the 65% of the phones out there running AOSP, instead of true Android, so the universe of payments doesn’t come from that so called 81% of the smartphone market, it really comes from closer to 29% of the worldwide smartphone market. Apple is about 19% latest numbers of marketshare, and believed to be closer to 23% of total users. But OS users use the internet at a higher rate than Android users, according to various surveys. 
    edited October 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 66 of 100
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,312member
    avon b7 said:
    hexclock said:
    gatorguy said:

I disliked Microsoft as much as the next guy in the nineties as their monopolistic practices were actively and negatively affecting the the Mac.

Google provided many services that eventually gave users great alternatives. They still do, in a mobile dominated world. Most iOS users actively use those services and users like me use both iOS and Android daily.

And far from hating Android, I prefer my flavour of Android over iOS on a phone.
    Of note in the article, there was no mention, no use even, of the "Android" brand during the event.

Dead man walking as far as Google is concerned. They'll continue supporting it because of ad and search, but I can imagine that the next Pixel will be a "Chrome OS" phone, not strictly an "Android OS" phone.

Where does that leave the Android OS device makers? Maybe looking at a completely different licensing model than the current "open" and "free" version if they move to Chrome OS.

Heck, a number of us here called this a long time ago; Google had a shitty business model, and it's partners were often least common denominators.

Now, Google has a chance to change that. Good luck with that.
    edited October 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 67 of 100
    avon b7 said:
    hexclock said:
    gatorguy said:

I don’t hate Google. I have distaste for their business methods, as you should. They lie. They cheat. They steal. 
    watto_cobradocno42
  • Reply 68 of 100
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,178member
    melgross said:
    gatorguy said:
    melgross said:
    cropr said:
    Again, Daniel misses a key point while focusing on technical issues and (direct) profits.
    Specifically, he forgets what Google's core business is:   Gathering user information to be used to build advertising revenue.   (They collect your information and sell it)

100% agreed.  In fact,  suppose that Windows Mobile (with Bing) and not Android had 80% market share.   Google  would be nowhere in mobile search. 

In that respect Android is the most successful marketing channel on the planet, boosting the top and bottom line of the Adwords.   Any company would love to have such a failure in its portfolio

And to show just how important that advertising is to Google, they are paying Apple $9 billion this year to be the default search engine, and possibly as much as $12 billion next year. When I read those numbers, I almost fell out of my chair.
    I don't think everyone understands that "as much as $9B" is a guess by an analyst, not fact. Neither Apple nor Google has ever discussed what the monetary arrangements are.
    It wasn’t greeted with shock in the industry though. It’s very likely a pretty good guesstimate. Keep in mind that google acknowledges that iOS is half (at least) of their mobile income. It’s been since the beginning. When mobile was a minority of their search results, it was said that they were paying Apple $1 billion a year. That was quite a while ago. But now, a good 70% of internet use is on mobile. Correspondingly, Apple’s proportion of their income is way up. Google’s a big company these days, and so it makes sense that their payments are way up too.

don’t forget that Google gets zero from the 65% of the phones out there running AOSP, instead of true Android, 
    You're assuming none of the of users of phones running AOSP are using Google Search, Google Maps, or any other Google services. I suspect even AOSP devices are benefitting Google even if they're not deriving direct app revenue. 
  • Reply 69 of 100
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,178member
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    hexclock said:
    gatorguy said:

Of note in the article, there was no mention, no use even, of the "Android" brand during the event.

Dead man walking as far as Google is concerned. They'll continue supporting it because of ad and search, but I can imagine that the next Pixel will be a "Chrome OS" phone, not strictly an "Android OS" phone.

Where does that leave the Android OS device makers? Maybe looking at a completely different licensing model than the current "open" and "free" version if they move to Chrome OS.

Heck, a number of us here called this a long time ago; Google had a shitty business model, and it's partners were often least common denominators.

And here's some arguments for the "Google isn't dumping Android" side:
    https://www.computerworld.com/article/3245032/android/will-google-kill-chrome-os-and-android-in-2018.html

In well under a year from now we'll see where Android is. 
  • Reply 70 of 100
    gatorguy said:
    melgross said:
    gatorguy said:
    melgross said:
    cropr said:

don’t forget that Google gets zero from the 65% of the phones out there running AOSP, instead of true Android, 
    You're assuming none of the of users of phones running AOSP are using Google Search, Google Maps, or any other Google services. I suspect even AOSP devices are benefitting Google even if they're not deriving direct app revenue. 
    Only in very rare cases. Manufacturers are not allowed to add Google’s Android services to AOSP devices, by license, and contract. Google doesn’t stop individuals from adding them, if they can. So that’s about a fraction of 1%. If a phone isn’t boot locked, as more are these days, a very small number of people buy, or otherwise obtain, alternative software ROMs. But again, that’s a tiny number of people.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 71 of 100

gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    hexclock said:
    gatorguy said:

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3245032/android/will-google-kill-chrome-os-and-android-in-2018.html

As I mentioned, it could be hard for them to knock Android from phones, because development of Chrome OS these days seems to be either limited to, or mainly oriented towards x86.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 72 of 100
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    avon b7 said:
    hexclock said:
    gatorguy said:

That’s impossible.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 73 of 100
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member
    and that article from 2013 "google ready to ditch android" hasnt happened yet danny boy
    If you pay attention, you see that Google is ditching Android as fast as it can, and so is its biggest licensee in the world. Just as with rolling out new versions of Android, that can't happen very fast (certainly not on the same timescale that Apple maneuvers in). Pretty solid evidence to ignore, but please linger in ignorance defying reality as long as you care to. The article is pointing out what's actually happening, not arguing that something may happen. It doesn't need you to agree to be accurate. Comments have been full of deniers for a decade now. They just keep disappearing and reappearing to deny new things with different goalposts. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 74 of 100
    And boy somebody else is really worried so much so that they routinely troll DED’s opinion column every single week just to say “But you’re wrong!” over and over. Without fail. Compulsively. Without ever tackling the arguments within the piece.

Because more often than not there’s no point to wasting time tackling the piece. You have to admit though so many of these “editorials” are focused on Google. I simply don’t understand the obsession. Especially on a site that’s called Apple Insider.
    You don't understand why discussions of iOS involve its primary competitors? That's a selective ignorance you have, as you don't seem to have any problem with AI videos that constantly compare iPhone X models against random Androids. Seems what you're most upset about is anyone telling the truth about what's going on, rather than playing the Verge line that Google is doing great and that every idea it has is genius until three years after it fails, at which point they can turn around and accurately access that it was a failure. 
  • Reply 75 of 100
    gatorguy said:

This Mike Elgin piece (he has never been right about anything by the way) rambles on about Fuschia and whether it might replace Android. It says virtually nothing about the subject of this article--which is merely documenting how Google keeps stepping away from Android to invest instead on Chrome OS. Instead, he thinks Google won't be able to launch an entirely new RT OS kernel and deploy it this year. Yeah, probably not, genius! Google can't even deploy a point up to Android within a couple years. 

But we don't have to wait for a year. The prediction was made 5 years ago and has been increasingly proven correct since. Thus, the words above, which you could read if you weren't furiously trying to throw up a smoke screen of nonsense to distract attention away from reality. Google has already dumped Android in tablets (where it was supposed to "win," where it was credited with "dominating" and where everyone was wrong. Google is now dumping Android in IoT applications. 
    williamlondontmay
  • Reply 76 of 100
    knowitall said:
    avon b7 said:
    hexclock said:
    gatorguy said:

That’s impossible.
    What was the last version of Android you actually used?
  • Reply 77 of 100

You've read a lot of DEDs articles and just signed up today?

Curious, what was your previous troll account that got banned such that you had to create a new one just to tell us this?
    To be honest I've been reading articles on this site and spent some time in the forums for at least 7 years now. But registered for the fisrt time a couple of months ago. So that's not unusual.
    gatorguysingularity
  • Reply 78 of 100
    avon b7 said:
    knowitall said:
    avon b7 said:
    hexclock said:
    gatorguy said:

That’s impossible.
    My retort;

What was the last version of iOS that you have used?
    williamlondonknowitall
  • Reply 79 of 100
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    knowitall said:
    avon b7 said:
    hexclock said:
    gatorguy said:

That’s impossible.
    My retort;

Unless I'm mistaken, iOS 10.

It's possible that iOS 11 stealth installed itself but I doubt it.

You know, you get the upgrade notification, you choose 'not now' and instead of continuing to the screen as you would expect, you are prompted to enter your passcode.

What is really happening is that you are giving the ok to a delayed stealth upgrade.

Below the passcode request, and not very clearly presented, you have the option to avoid the upgrade altogether.

That's an example of Apple being underhand.

edited October 2018 gatorguymuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 80 of 100
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    knowitall said:
    avon b7 said:
    hexclock said:
    gatorguy said:

That’s impossible.
    My retort;

Unless I'm mistaken, iOS 10.

It's possible that iOS stealth installed itself but I doubt it.

You know, you get the upgrade notification, you choose 'not now' and instead of continuing to the screen as you would expect, you are prompted to enter your passcode.

What is really happening is that you are giving the ok to a delayed stealth upgrade.

Below the passcode request, and not very clearly presented, you have the option to avoid the upgrade altogether.

That's an example of Apple being underhand.

You are aware that 53% of iPhone users have moved to iOS 12, no major issues, and given the improved performance to the iPhone 6, I'm not understanding why you haven't updated your wife's iPhone.

An article about where Google is going with the Pixel;

https://medium.com/s/story/googles-pixel-3-event-i-have-some-big-questions-b2f55e328e43
    edited October 2018 williamlondon