Adobe announces Photoshop CC for iPad, debuts Premiere Rush CC iMovie competitor and CC up...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2018
Adobe unleashed a slew of new software at its MAX 2018 conference on Monday, including cross-platform video editing tool Premiere Rush CC and updates to existing Creative Cloud apps, while announcing a 2019 launch date for a much-rumored iPad version of Photoshop CC.

Adobe MAX 2018

Headlining today's release lineup is Premiere Rush CC, an all-in-one cross-platform video editing solution first teased as Project Rush in June.

Designed with online content creators in mind, Premiere Rush CC enables fast, easy and comprehensive edits of captured and imported video on a variety of devices, from desktops to tablets and smartphones. Advanced features like smart audio ducking are powered by Adobe Sensei machine learning technology, helping users create professional content in minutes.

In a demonstration prior to MAX, Adobe showed off Premiere Rush's clean user interface, which shares simplified design elements across platforms. A video preview is displayed front-and-center, below which is a timeline for arranging audio and video clips, as well as special effects like Motion Graphics templates.

Premiere Rush CC

Like other video editors, Premiere Rush utilizes a drag-and-drop control scheme for manipulating timeline assets, while iPad optimization supports multitouch gestures like pinch-to-zoom.

A clip editing menu is positioned on the bottom-left of the screen in line with the timeline, while a range of refinement tools reside in pop-out menus on the top-right. In these menus users can find a comprehensive suite of audio and visual adjustment options like Adobe Sensei-powered auto ducking.

Highly granular color editing tools are accompanied by a selection of animated Motion Graphics templates.

Premiere Rush can pull in local media, as well as clips stored in Creative Cloud, which also handles project syncing. Users can share their creations to social media outlets like YouTube, Facebook, Instagram and Adobe's Behance network, with videos automatically converted and optimized for each platform.

Premiere Rush CC iPhone

Premiere Rush CC is available now through Adobe's website and the iOS App Store. Users can try out the app with the Premiere Rush CC Starter Plan, which grants access to all mobile and desktop features with the ability to export three projects. Regular pricing starts at $9.99 per month for individuals, $19.99 per month for teams and $29.99 per month for enterprise customers.

Photoshop CC iPad

Adobe also previewed Photoshop CC for iPad, an upcoming app that promises to bring the "real" Photoshop to Apple's tablet next year.

The iOS iteration of Adobe's premiere image editing tool features support for PSD files, layers, advanced compositing, masking and other features familiar to users of the desktop version. Adobe says the app is built on the same codebase as its current Photoshop CC suite of apps, meaning users can seamlessly "roundtrip" an image to and from iPad.

Demonstrated at MAX, Photoshop for iPad features a user interface designed to take advantage of the new format. A number of popular tools like brush, eraser, gradient, marquee, text and crop appear on the left side of the screen, while a minimal layer pane occupies the right. Active layers are displayed as icons, but a two-finger pinch opens a comprehensive layer view with properties scaffolded into tiers to fit iPad's display.

Adobe says users can create, manage and tweak as many layers per image as they can on desktop, no small feat for the pro-level software.

The app also features optimizations for navigating large canvasses, and users are able to make non-destructive edits down to individual pixels.

To handle iPad's form factor, and lack of keyboard-and-mouse control, Adobe created a context-aware UI. For example, the marquee tool brings up a sub-menu bar that includes common operations like invert, mask and deselect. The brush tool, on the other hand, features an on-screen touch modifier that, when pressed, toggles input to the erase tool, handy for two-handed editing with Apple Pencil.

Other highlights include a complete assortment of layer adjustments, including masking, clipping and blending options like opacity, color and more. Layer properties are arguably one of the most powerful, and resource intensive, tools in a non-destructive editing suite. That Adobe is able to include a "real" version of Photoshop layers in an app made for iPad is impressive.

Photoshop CC for iPad is scheduled to launch in 2019. Those interested in keeping abreast of the latest developments can sign up for updates through Adobe's website.

Project Gemini

Adobe also previewed three updates related to the Photoshop family. The first, Project Gemini, is a dedicated raster and vector drawing app built on the latticework of Photoshop's painting engine. Demonstrated on iPad, the app boasts a range of professional tools and a highly customizable UI that works seamlessly with Apple Pencil. The app is expected to launch in 2019.

Second, Adobe Dimension CC, the company's 3D modeling tool for designers used to working in 2D, received an update. Along with Photoshop and Illustrator workflow improvements, Dimension 2.0 gets updated material layers, canvas tweaks, a new native rendering engine, support for more 3D file formats and more.

Project Aero is Adobe's answer to augmented reality media. Currently under development as part of a private beta, the app lets users deliver immersive AR experiences without knowledge of advanced coding techniques. Artists can use tools like Photoshop CC and Dimension CC to create AR works, which are output to open AR standards like usdz, which debuted in partnership with Apple and Pixar at WWDC 2018 earlier this year. The closed beta will slowly open up to more participants in late 2019.

Adobe's main line of Creative Cloud apps also received major updates today.

Photoshop CC Fill

Starting with Photoshop CC, the image editing app receives a new Context-Aware Fill tool that lets users select which surrounding pixels to include and exclude from a fill. A new frame tool creates a placeholder for an image size or shape and auto-scales an asset to fit, while Symmetry Painting creates mirrored brush strokes along an axis.

Other changes include a redesigned home screen with quick links to tutorials, news, learning assets, user content and more.

Adobe threw a spotlight on Adobe XD, the company's UI/UX design platform, which now features voice prototyping capabilities through voice triggers and speech playback. Voice triggers can be added in much the same way as defining a traditional click or tap, enabling interactivity when a user says a specific word or phrase. Speech playback taps into a text-to-speech engine for fast integration without coding overhead.

Adobe XD is also receiving support for plug-ins to automate tasks, integrate with other tools, leverage data and more. Initial add-ons include offerings from Slack, JIRA, and Microsoft Teams, but interested developers can expand on the first set by rolling their own using Adobe XD APIs.

Other additions include a new Auto-Animate function for animating transitions between artboards and Drag Gestures that simulate dragging on assets like image carousels.

Adobe XD

As usual, Adobe is using MAX as an opportunity to update its keystone app offerings. Lightroom CC and Lightroom Classic get performance enhancements, Illustrator CC nabs new features to design photorealistic gradients, InDesign CC benefits from a new Content-Aware Fit function.

Adobe is further integrating Sensei technology into its broader software suite. Along with Premiere Rush CC features like auto ducking, Sensei powers Photoshop CC's Context-Aware Fill tool, InDesign CC's Content-Aware Fit feature and Illustrator CC's freeform gradients. The machine learning tech is also applied to a new tool in Character Animator CC that transforms styled portraiture into animated characters.

Adobe Sensei powers visual search functionality in Adobe Stock, which is expanding its selection of Motion Graphics templates and adding a new library of clips from GoPro.

Finally, Typekit is now known as Adobe Fonts. All Creative Cloud subscribers get access to a compete library of fonts, with no syncing restrictions or web font page view and domain limits. All fonts are available for use on the web and desktop. Adobe is introducing new Font Packs at MAX and allowing users to activate a free pack every day for 30 days. More Font Packs are due to arrive in 2019.

Adobe's latest Creative Cloud apps are available for purchase through the company's website. Plans start at $20.99 per month for single apps, while access to the entire collection of more than 20 creative desktop apps costs $52.99 per month. Tacking on Adobe Stock brings the price up to $82.98 per month.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    It would be easy to mock those who have always claimed the iPad is simply a media consumption device and that a “pro" cannot do “real” work on an iPad. But that would be just sarcasm and cynicism. The iPad has come a long way since its introduction and the future will be interesting to watch transpire. 
    williamlondontmayRayz2016ericthehalfbeemagman1979kriswekfirelockwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 31
    Full version of Photoshop on the iPad along with a nice big 28 inch surface studio style iPad would be ideal for me!
  • Reply 3 of 31
    Full version of Photoshop on the iPad along with a nice big 28 inch surface studio style iPad would be ideal for me!
    Surface-style iMac which would convert between drafting table touchscreen mode and traditional mouse and keyboard control is what I’ve wanted from Apple for some time.
  • Reply 4 of 31
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    It's maybe just me but I'd rather pay for a product up front, have a few free upgrades and a year or two later have the option to pay for a major upgraded or just keep using the one I already have.
    williamlondonmagman1979dysamoria
  • Reply 5 of 31
    This will be a nice add-on to the new iPad Pros that are expected for launch in a few weeks.
    LoneStar88williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 31
    For all those who said the iPad isn’t and will never be an iPad replacement... 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 31
    I’m sure there’s an equivalent Android App that’s just as good. /s
    tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 31
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    That's a pretty big announcement isn't it? The kind of thing that would be done on stage at an Apple event. I wonder if Apple are going to have a Mac/iPad event this month or if it will just be some quiet updates on the Store.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 31
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    say whut?
  • Reply 10 of 31
    Why wouldn’t this be announced at an iPad event? Unless this is a clue there won’t be an iPad event this fall?
  • Reply 11 of 31
    Why wouldn’t this be announced at an iPad event? Unless this is a clue there won’t be an iPad event this fall?

Because Adobe wanted to do it at their big event?

This doesn't preclude Adobe also appearing onstage at an upcoming iPad/Mac event to go into more details or show how fast it runs on the latest iPad Pro. Maybe even compare it next to a Surface (or similar) doing complex manipulations.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 31
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    Uhm, because it's a big product announcement for Adobe, at their Adobe Max conference, going on now. It had nothing to do with whether or not Apple is having an upcoming iPad released event.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 31
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    For the same reason that Microft doesn’t wait for a MacOS release to announce a new version of Office: they’re two separate companies. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 31
    wlymwlym Posts: 102member
    I know right?! Who would replace an iPad with an iPad. Crazy!
    rezwitswatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 31
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    I wish Adobe would put as much effort into getting their desktop Lightroom working decently, as they do their iOS implementation.  It's still dog-slow when doing anything that requires more than a few retouches.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 31
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    For anyone using copies of Creative Cloud licensed via your enterprise, DO NOT update your apps!

This update, especially to Lightroom CC, just nuked the enterprise license we use at my workplace, and now the bloody POS is demanding an Adobe ID to use the app, and when I click Cancel it just shuts down. Using the re-serialization utility to re-apply the enterprise license is inoperative now.

Now I have to roll back my Mac to regain Lightroom functionality.

Adobe, FU with your horrendous subscription model and your constant holding of user data hostage when you screw up your licensing with your enterprise vendors! I swear with each screw up you make I'm leaning more and more towards dumping your shit software and going to the likes of Affinity, Pixelmator, on1 Software, anything except you!!!
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 31
    For anyone using copies of Creative Cloud licensed via your enterprise, DO NOT update your apps!

This update, especially to Lightroom CC, just nuked the enterprise license we use at my workplace, and now the bloody POS is demanding an Adobe ID to use the app, and when I click Cancel it just shuts down. Using the re-serialization utility to re-apply the enterprise license is inoperative now.

Adobe, FU with your horrendous subscription model and your constant holding of user data hostage when you screw up your licensing with your enterprise vendors! I swear with each screw up you make I'm leaning more and more towards dumping your shit software and going to the likes of Affinity, Pixelmator, on1 Software, anything except you!!!
    I've been a happy Adobe professional customer for over thirty years. Their customer support has always been very competent in getting any of my issues resolved. Perhaps you should try that instead of complaining here.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 31
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    MacPro said:
    It's maybe just me but I'd rather pay for a product up front, have a few free upgrades and a year or two later have the option to pay for a major upgraded or just keep using the one I already have.
    Them days is gone. No point in crying over it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 31

Because this is more than something that’s just for iPads. It’s an announcement of a number of improvements and new items. If it were something that Apple and adobe worked closely together on, it might be different.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 31

Oops! Yeah, just try to replace Adobe’s Products with those nice, but unprofessional apps. Good luck with that. I use them all, and they have years to go before they’re professionally usable in a major way.
    edited October 2018