Unsurprisingly, the 2019 iPhones are expected to be as waterproof as the iPhone XR

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2020
More details have started to emerge about Apple's 2019 iPhone releases, with an early report from Ming-Chi Kuo saying that the new devices will retain the existing level of waterproofing as the iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR.

Ming-Chi Kuo has declared that the 2019 iPhone lineup will retain the IP68 waterproofing, with no increase in intrusion protection -- but no decrease either. The note was provided to Taiwan-based publication Economic Daily News on Monday morning, and no other information about the 2019 line was given.

Apple made a big deal during the iPhone XS reveal that the company had put a lot of work into the waterproofing. IP68 waterproofing allows for water resistance of up to two meters for 30 minutes.

Other data previously predicted includes the continuation of Face ID in the line, as well as the company not looking to include a rear-facing 3D sensor or new rangefinder in the rear of the unit. TSMC is expected to be the sole supplier of the "A13" processor for the unit.

Also expected in 2019 are a new HomePod model, "AirPods 2", and the complete death of 3D Touch across the iPhone product line.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    I don’t care about improving the iPhone water resistance further. I think it’s fine right now. What I would like to see is for Apple to apply the same water resistance on their iPads. I travel & backpack a lot. The iPad is my go to device for editing photos & videos while on the road. I do protect my iPad when traveling abroad, but it would be nice to have the extra peace of mind a water resistant iPad would bring while backpacking thru a downpour.
    edited October 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 10
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,279member
    It's a moot point. There is no higher standard than IP68 for dust ingress and water immersion.

Per Wikipedia, IP69K is "Protected against close-range, high pressure, high temperature spray downs." Nothing to do with immersion.

wlymwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 10
    I am surprised about the predicted death of 3D touch ...which I use every day - especially the keyboard curser is one of the best inventions ever. 

What could possibly replace it?!

That sounds like Apple would drop the right click on macOS. 
    wlymbageljoeywatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 10
    The death of 3D Touch is questionable, touch based inputs have few options for advanced uses.  Other than gesture, touch location and time are the only metrics, outside of hardware options like a stylus.  There’s a reason that the mouse has evolved into a device with multiple buttons, wheels and macros.  As our mobile devices do more with greater complexity, It’s hard to believe Apple would throw away tech that is useful and expansive. I personally like 3D Touch, but I feel Apple missed out on an opportunity to advance their GUI.  Would it be so hard to pioneer a new interface, as a dual option?  As a millennial (just barely) I find the standard grid of apps to be archaic and at times counterproductive. These devices are capable of more than just a polite nod to 90’s interfaces.
    wlymwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 10
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,555member
    I call bullshit on the death of 3D Touch. They've embraced it on the Xs and made it much nicer than it was on the 6s. Feels absolutely seamless. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 10
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member
    Isn't iPhone Xr actually IP67?  I thought only S models are IP68
    curtis hannahwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 10
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,279member
    I am surprised about the predicted death of 3D touch ...which I use every day - especially the keyboard curser is one of the best inventions ever. 

What could possibly replace it?!

That sounds like Apple would drop the right click on macOS. 
    The cursor feature, which I also love, works just fine on my 9.7" iPad Pro which does not have 3D Touch.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

... especially the keyboard curser is one of the best inventions ever. 

And I learned something today!!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 10
    I don’t care about improving the iPhone water resistance further. I think it’s fine right now. What I would like to see is for Apple to apply the same water resistance on their iPads. I travel & backpack a lot. The iPad is my go to device for editing photos & videos while on the road. I do protect my iPad when traveling abroad, but it would be nice to have the extra peace of mind a water resistant iPad would bring while backpacking thru a downpour.
    Yes, waterproofing coming to all ios devices and even macbooks at a later point would be the next objective.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 10
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    After my iphone 6 was ruined for being in sea water for 30 seconds,  I am glad they did this.  I use my iphone to take photos and video on vacation and that includes the beach.