Comments

• Reply 81 of 100
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    avon b7 said:
    knowitall said:
    avon b7 said:
    hexclock said:
    gatorguy said:
    Wow someone here is really worried about Google for some reason. Not sure why.
    He used to be obsessed with Microsoft. Now it's Android. 

And that's perfectly OK. IMO no need for personal attacks on forum members who are connected to neither Apple nor Google. I myself am done with any attempt to have a healthy exchange. It's totally unconstructive and only distracting. 
    If you weren’t a Mac user in the 90’s you probably don’t have the inate hatred of M$ that many of us do, but similar to a sports rivalry that fades because one of the teams is no longer good, Android has replaced Windows on the hate scale for modern Apple fans. 
    But why? Google? I very much doubt it. 

I disliked Microsoft as much as the next guy in the nineties as their monopolistic practices were actively and negatively affecting the the Mac.

Google provided many services that eventually gave users great alternatives. They still do, in a mobile dominated world. Most iOS users actively use those services and users like me use both iOS and Android daily.

And far from hating Android, I prefer my flavour of Android over iOS on a phone.
    That’s impossible.
    What was the last version of Android you actually used?
    My point exactly.
  • Reply 82 of 100
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,621member
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    knowitall said:
    avon b7 said:
    hexclock said:
    gatorguy said:

And that's perfectly OK. IMO no need for personal attacks on forum members who are connected to neither Apple nor Google. I myself am done with any attempt to have a healthy exchange. It's totally unconstructive and only distracting. 
    If you weren’t a Mac user in the 90’s you probably don’t have the inate hatred of M$ that many of us do, but similar to a sports rivalry that fades because one of the teams is no longer good, Android has replaced Windows on the hate scale for modern Apple fans. 

I disliked Microsoft as much as the next guy in the nineties as their monopolistic practices were actively and negatively affecting the the Mac.

Google provided many services that eventually gave users great alternatives. They still do, in a mobile dominated world. Most iOS users actively use those services and users like me use both iOS and Android daily.

And far from hating Android, I prefer my flavour of Android over iOS on a phone.
    That’s impossible.
    My retort;

What was the last version of iOS that you have used?
    Unless I'm mistaken, iOS 10.

It's possible that iOS stealth installed itself but I doubt it.

You know, you get the upgrade notification, you choose 'not now' and instead of continuing to the screen as you would expect, you are prompted to enter your passcode.

What is really happening is that you are giving the ok to a delayed stealth upgrade.

Below the passcode request, and not very clearly presented, you have the option to avoid the upgrade altogether.

That's an example of Apple being underhand.

You are aware that 53% of iPhone users have moved to iOS 12, no major issues, and given the improved performance to the iPhone 6, I'm not understanding why you haven't updated your wife's iPhone.

An article about where Google is going with the Pixel;

https://medium.com/s/story/googles-pixel-3-event-i-have-some-big-questions-b2f55e328e43
    It is still early days. It says a lot that we held off on iOS 11 for so long that iOS 12 went live in the meantime.

So far, 12 is faring better insofar as reports  but I've read a lot about iPhone 6 and iOS 11 equating to pain.
    edited October 2018 docno42
  • Reply 83 of 100
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    knowitall said:
    avon b7 said:
    hexclock said:
    gatorguy said:

That’s impossible.
    My retort;

You know, you get the upgrade notification, you choose 'not now' and instead of continuing to the screen as you would expect, you are prompted to enter your passcode.

What is really happening is that you are giving the ok to a delayed stealth upgrade.

Below the passcode request, and not very clearly presented, you have the option to avoid the upgrade altogether.

https://medium.com/s/story/googles-pixel-3-event-i-have-some-big-questions-b2f55e328e43
    "...I could be misconstruing Google’s smartphone strategy."
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 84 of 100
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,309member
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    knowitall said:
    avon b7 said:
    hexclock said:
    gatorguy said:

That’s impossible.
    My retort;

Sure, as could anyone, but it is certainly fair game for pondering.
  • Reply 85 of 100
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    knowitall said:
    avon b7 said:
    hexclock said:
    gatorguy said:

That’s impossible.
    My retort;

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/google-pixel-three-launch-market-share
    https://www.businessinsider.com/google-hardware-plan-trojan-horse-2017-10?r=UK&IR=T
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 86 of 100
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    melgross said:

but that plan went awry. Instead, Google pulled out of China, leaving the field to Chinese companies backed by the Chinese government. Chinese manufacturers, also backed by the government, began to rise. They had no incentive to move to Android.

Once Google pulled out they couldn't move to android even if they wanted to.  Seems like a mind boggling strategic error on their part.
  • Reply 87 of 100
    MR.Dilger seems to have anger problems towards Android, or anything that isnt apple products for that nature
    Youre nuts. DED’s articles are always well-reasoned and explain why Apple is doing fine and others aren’t as rosy as some would have us believe. If you think that’s “anger” then, well, youre nuts.
    Lol...DED articles read like they were written by Nunzy...if Nunzy was articulate rather than a one line post troll...

Its not like Apple isn't doing fine and generally the articles are fine for the first few paragraphs but eventually it shifts to Nunzyland and even as a fanboy I'm like "Woah...that's just silly.

Android didn't pan out as Google planned but it sure is a major success from every perspective, especially from Google's point of view.  Had Windows Phones become dominant then Bing would have been the major mobile search engine.  iOS was never an existential threat...especially given that Apple, even at peak annoyed, didn't replace Google on the search bar.  

That ASOP sucks for Google is their own fault for pulling out of China and maintaining a presence and fighting for share.
    gatorguymuthuk_vanalingamCarnage
  • Reply 88 of 100
    gatorguy said:
    melgross said:
    gatorguy said:
    melgross said:
    cropr said:
    Again, Daniel misses a key point while focusing on technical issues and (direct) profits.
    Specifically, he forgets what Google's core business is:   Gathering user information to be used to build advertising revenue.   (They collect your information and sell it)

100% agreed.  In fact,  suppose that Windows Mobile (with Bing) and not Android had 80% market share.   Google  would be nowhere in mobile search. 

In that respect Android is the most successful marketing channel on the planet, boosting the top and bottom line of the Adwords.   Any company would love to have such a failure in its portfolio

And to show just how important that advertising is to Google, they are paying Apple $9 billion this year to be the default search engine, and possibly as much as $12 billion next year. When I read those numbers, I almost fell out of my chair.
    I don't think everyone understands that "as much as $9B" is a guess by an analyst, not fact. Neither Apple nor Google has ever discussed what the monetary arrangements are.
    It wasn’t greeted with shock in the industry though. It’s very likely a pretty good guesstimate. Keep in mind that google acknowledges that iOS is half (at least) of their mobile income. It’s been since the beginning. When mobile was a minority of their search results, it was said that they were paying Apple $1 billion a year. That was quite a while ago. But now, a good 70% of internet use is on mobile. Correspondingly, Apple’s proportion of their income is way up. Google’s a big company these days, and so it makes sense that their payments are way up too.

don’t forget that Google gets zero from the 65% of the phones out there running AOSP, instead of true Android, 
    You're assuming none of the of users of phones running AOSP are using Google Search, Google Maps, or any other Google services. I suspect even AOSP devices are benefitting Google even if they're not deriving direct app revenue. 
    The numbers of AOSP phones using Google services approaches zero in the grand scheme of things just like Hackintosh.  The large distributors of AOSP devices do so because Google services are unavailable (China) or replaced by their own ecosystem (Amazon).
    gatorguy
  • Reply 89 of 100
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    knowitall said:
    avon b7 said:
    hexclock said:
    gatorguy said:

That’s impossible.
    My retort;

Nobody, likely including Google, knows what Google’s plans have been, or are currently, much less what they will be. You read nonsense about how they are just for developers, or how they are intended mostly to show other OEMs how to do it right. That’s all bunk. Google wants to sell phones, and tablets, and Chromebooks.

but with Android, they’re foundering. It’s always interesting to see all the articles, reviews and posting that loves the phones, but almost no one buys them. 0.7% of the worldwide market, and not much more here. It’s not that Google doesn’t spend enough advertising them, or paying for product placement, or to celebrities to use them, because they do.

so what’s the problem, because it’s a big one. It’s why they went from the almost invisible Nexus lines to the new Pixel. Supposedly, the ‘Pixel would be a completely Google designed phone and tablet, unlike the Nexus, which was supposed to be “inspired” by Google, but was just a standard phone in an OEMs lineup with different externals, and pure Android. The Pixel has turned out to be not much more designed by Google than the old Nexus. A bit more, but not a lot.
    edited October 2018 StrangeDays
  • Reply 90 of 100
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    knowitall said:
    avon b7 said:
    hexclock said:
    gatorguy said:

That’s impossible.
    My retort;

https://www.businessinsider.com/google-hardware-plan-trojan-horse-2017-10?r=UK&IR=T
    Feh! Google blew it. Now they’re trying to fix the disaster they made for themselves. It won’t work.
  • Reply 91 of 100
    melgross said:
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    knowitall said:
    avon b7 said:
    hexclock said:
    gatorguy said:

That’s impossible.
    My retort;

Feh! Google blew it. Now they’re trying to fix the disaster they made for themselves. It won’t work.
    Maybe it won't. Maybe it will...
    We all have opinions.
  • Reply 92 of 100
    melgross said:
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    Eh, they are nice phones and no worse than MS is doing with Surface IMHO.  

If I wanted to be in their ecosystem I'd likely seriously consider them vs the cheaper 3rd party alternatives.
  • Reply 93 of 100
    gatorguy said:
    melgross said:
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    knowitall said:
    avon b7 said:
    hexclock said:
    gatorguy said:

That’s impossible.
    My retort;

We all have opinions.
    It’s will be one hell of a problem getting themselves out of it. The more they try to get out by removing services, the deeper the hole they dig as others fill the gaps they leave.
  • Reply 94 of 100
    melgross said:
    gatorguy said:
    melgross said:
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    knowitall said:
    avon b7 said:
    hexclock said:
    gatorguy said:

That’s impossible.
    My retort;

We all have opinions.
    It’s will be one hell of a problem getting themselves out of it. The more they try to get out by removing services, the deeper the hole they dig as others fill the gaps they leave.
    The only Android/Chrome servcie I'm aware of them discontinuing recently is Google+ and far from hurting them it helps IMHO. 
  • Reply 95 of 100
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    MR.Dilger seems to have anger problems towards Android, or anything that isnt apple products for that nature
    I read this as "he is wrong obviously not because our opinion differ but more because I am always right."
  • Reply 96 of 100
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    chasm said:
    he’s the mirror-universe version of Rob “Apple is doooooomed” Enderle.
    Heh - I laughed out loud at that.  Enderle - there's a name I haven't thought of in a long time.  Again, hehe...
  • Reply 97 of 100

bigmushroom said:
    So whatever happens with the current trial, it will cover damages up to Android 6 which is on the way out. 
    Ha - not as quickly as many would hope!
  • Reply 98 of 100
    melgross said:
    nobody knows what their long term strategy is, and that might include Google itself. 
    lol - you got it!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Google_products#Discontinued_products_and_services
  • Reply 99 of 100
    avon b7 said:

But why? Google? 
    Eric Schmidt using is position on the Apple board to directly knife Steve Jobs personally in the back? 

That might have some to do with it.  

SpamSandwichwilliamlondon
  • Reply 100 of 100
    docno42 said:
    avon b7 said:

But why? Google? 
    Eric Schmidt using is position on the Apple board to directly knife Steve Jobs personally in the back? 

That might have some to do with it.  

Mr Schmidt only became a member of Apple's board less than 4 months before the iPhone was revealed, so claiming he must have been stealing plans for the device seems pretty unlikely. Particularly so considering articles right here at AI saying Google was surprised at the iPhone when Apple publicly announced it, going "back to the drawing board" after seeing it first-hand.

If Schmidt was a spy he was a pretty bad one. 
    avon b7