Schiller says Apple & Adobe working on 'really amazing technology' for iPad Pro

Posted:
in iPad edited October 2018
Apple marketing head Phil Schiller made an unannounced appearance at Adobe's MAX conference on Monday, bragging about the upcoming Photoshop CC for iPad, as well as the companies' ongoing collaboration -- particularly as it involves the iPad Pro.

Schiller

"At Apple, we care deeply about the evolution of the iPad into increasingly a tool that is essential to a creative workflow," Schiller said at the event. "That's why over the last few years we've been creating the iPad Pro line and we've been building unique technologies like our A-Series chips, special versions of that with the CPU and GPU performance for professionals."

The SVP added that "Adobe has understood the potential of the iPad Pro," and that the companies' teams have been "working together on some really amazing technology."

He didn't elaborate on that last point except to say today's MAX announcements are "the beginnings" of what Apple and Adobe can produce.

On the topic of Photoshop CC coming to iPad, and Apple's role in enabling creatives, Schiller said not much has changed since company co-founder Steve Jobs laid early foundations with the first Macs.

"As I think back on it, I know Steve showed us all the idea that people with passion can change the world. And Those words mean a lot to us. And we think long and hard about what Apple's role should be in supporting Adobe and all of the users out there," Schiller said. "It is that old line that Steve said, that, 'We exist at the intersection of technology and liberal arts.' And that focus on creativity and the arts to unleash that passion, unleash that vision is just as important to us today as it was from the very, very beginning. None of that has changed. What has changed is the technology. When we talked about that, we never envisioned a world where we would be running Photoshop on an iPad Pro everywhere you are. I mean that's just mind-blowing what's going to be created from all these brilliant people with that."

Photoshop CC for iPad, coming in 2019, will be Adobe's first iOS version of Photoshop to have all the same tools as its Mac and Windows counterparts. Professional artists and photographers have frequently complained that despite Apple positioning the iPad Pro as a laptop replacement, they haven't been able to do the same level of editing on the tablet.

Adobe also used MAX to unveil Premiere Rush CC, a cross-platform video editing tool that will include support for iPhones and iPads.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 63
    I hope this means that the new iPad Pro announcement is around the corner along with MacBook upgrades. 
    fred steinwatto_cobraclaire1
  • Reply 2 of 63
    Could be big. Apple's A12 chip runs circles around Intel. But all the essential SW runs on IA. Perhaps Adobe and Apple have found a way to port to an all A12 and successor chip.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 63
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    Adobe and Apple working together again.  So I guess it’s been long enough since Steve’s ‘Thoughts on Flash’ for the animosity to ebb.
    mike egglestonclaire1
  • Reply 4 of 63
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    i just want to be able to manually select faces in my photos and label them. and add keywords. in the native app on the iPad. and I actually tweeted Phil this AM to ask him why I still can't do something that simple when Abode can put freaking photoshop on the device 
    d_2irelandmuthuk_vanalingampatchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 63
    Can you get Adobe CC subscription on iPad? Because that'd be the real reason Apple is playing so nice with Adobe. I really dislike the adobe subscription tears, because I don't use the suit enough to justify cost. On the other hand Adobe seems to be copying a lot from Affinity, a company that was born from developing creative tools for the iPad and sell great products fairly priced. That's why I think is a bit sad Apple ended up working with Adobe, just making is stronger and letting them charge whatever they want; instead of supporting a smaller company which would benefit the industry and consumer a bit more.
    deminsdcornchipjmulchinomac_dogLukeCageracerhomie3caladanian
  • Reply 6 of 63
    I was watching this presentation and I was so shocked when Phil came on. I was ecstatic because I was thinking hey he might say something about the iPad Pro coming. Lol. Wishful thinking I know. I’m not a creator but I love the technology they displayed. I also like that they are working so close together. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 63
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    If iPad was a hybrid device Adobe would have never made a custom version of PS CC for it. It may have taken nine years, but it never would have happened without iOS being a touch experience from the ground-up.
    edited October 2018 macxpressbb-15watto_cobraclaire1
  • Reply 8 of 63
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    gutengel said:
     That's why I think is a bit sad Apple ended up working with Adobe, just making is stronger and letting them charge whatever they want; instead of supporting a smaller company which would benefit the industry and consumer a bit more.
    Yeah, that would have been cool, but perhaps that tech will be beneficial to all graphics apps - not just adobe. But I can’t say for sure since I didn’t watch the presentation. Don’t know how specific they were.
    edited October 2018 gutengel
  • Reply 9 of 63
    It's easy to get the two companies confused. Both of their names are 5 letters long, both start with A, both and with E, and in the middle are similar looking letters: "pp" vs "db".
    watto_cobraclaire1
  • Reply 10 of 63
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    gutengel said:
    Can you get Adobe CC subscription on iPad? Because that'd be the real reason Apple is playing so nice with Adobe. I really dislike the adobe subscription tears, because I don't use the suit enough to justify cost. On the other hand Adobe seems to be copying a lot from Affinity, a company that was born from developing creative tools for the iPad and sell great products fairly priced. That's why I think is a bit sad Apple ended up working with Adobe, just making is stronger and letting them charge whatever they want; instead of supporting a smaller company which would benefit the industry and consumer a bit more.
    Neither of these companies stopped working with each other. Adobe has had apps on the iPhone and iPad for years, and some are really good, despite the snark I read from time to time here.

like it or not, Adobe is the professional choice. Right now, they are the only one making software in their field that is professionally acceptable. These other apps are nice, but they’re just a shadow of Adobe.
    bb-15
  • Reply 11 of 63
    YvLyYvLy Posts: 89member
    It's easy to get the two companies confused. Both of their names are 5 letters long, both start with A, both and with E, and in the middle are similar looking letters: "pp" vs "db".
    ???? He ???? Come again?
    gutengelirelandRayz2016
  • Reply 12 of 63
    I guess the rumors are pointing to a possible USB connector for the new iPad Pro, which could be just the thing to make it an even more serious choice for professionals and businesses. I tend to use my iPad Pro for more things than my iMac these days!
    ireland
  • Reply 13 of 63
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Could be big. Apple's A12 chip runs circles around Intel. But all the essential SW runs on IA. Perhaps Adobe and Apple have found a way to port to an all A12 and successor chip.
    I keep hearing this baloney about Intel and the so called essential software there.   The fact is in a very short time iPad has developed a fairly large software library of its own, including professional apps.    You don't port to the iPad you leverage the platform to create new and interesting solutions.   Even in this case I would expect that all Adobe apps coming to the iPad will be fresh code exploring new ways to do things.
    StrangeDaystmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 63
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    JWSC said:
    Adobe and Apple working together again.  So I guess it’s been long enough since Steve’s ‘Thoughts on Flash’ for the animosity to ebb.
    Adobe might have taken awhile to realize this but I believe they now know that Flash is evil!
    watto_cobraclaire1
  • Reply 15 of 63
    gutengel said:
    They’ve worked with and featured indy dev Pixelmator before. Not worried about the balance, we need both sets of tools, indy and enterprise. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 63
    gutengel said:
    This is a really good point.
    How folks quickly forget Steve Jobs’s war on Adobe. Not that anyone wants a permanent state of animosity, but this current lovefest is a but much. Too bad Apple didn’t showcase other image editing software!
  • Reply 17 of 63
    melgross said:
    gutengel said:
    Neither of these companies stopped working with each other. Adobe has had apps on the iPhone and iPad for years, and some are really good, despite the snark I read from time to time here.

like it or not, Adobe is the professional choice. Right now, they are the only one making software in their field that is professionally acceptable. These other apps are nice, but they’re just a shadow of Adobe.
    I haven’t heard much snark other than you slamming anyone who dares criticize mighty Adobe. BTW, I am a graphics professional. Haven’t used P.S. since they dumped one-time paid biz model. And finally, there are competent image editing apps for both iPad and desktop. You should get out more. Or are you trying to justify the thousands of dollars you’ve spent needlessly on subscription fees to Adobe?
    JWSCbeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 18 of 63
    The new A13 chip includes Intel-on-a-chip....
  • Reply 19 of 63
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    JWSC said:
    It's over. Adobe lost. It even said it won't support Flash anymore. And there's time for them to make up.
    claire1
  • Reply 20 of 63
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    This is great news.  In the short term to boost iPad Pro’s kudos & capability as hands down the best photographic post production tool (I couldn’t get my semi-pro photographer wife back to the Mac if I tried).  But in the long term to get Adobe onto ARM & take Metal seriously at last.

I was thinking what would be the greatest barrier to an A12X MacBook?  If Apple convinced MS & Adobe to support the new platform along with full availability of Apple’s 1st-party apps (done already I assume) all they  need is a way to emulate x86/ClickOnce/.NET reasonably well (A12Xi ?) - job done.  Once the performance is up then MBPs to follow.