Apple 'fixes' bagel emoji to look tastier in upcoming iOS 12.1 update

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    Meanwhile, still no kangaroo.
    olswatto_cobraireland
  • Reply 22 of 47
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    neilm said:
    When is it that proper netiquette calls for the use of a bagel emoji?

Enquiring minds want to know.

Meet me at the (bagel emoji) store.

Although, personally, I would never, ever do that.  When did Apple start thinking we're all immature 12-year-old girls?   Maybe I'm just too old.  I'm not expecting Apple to only design for my demographic, but when Apple started pushing stickers in their TV ads combined with every company's emphasis on emojis, it really rubbed me the wrong way.  Can you imagine how many hours of productivity are lost by people wasting time sticking cartoon stickers over their selfies?   It's definitely millions and I wouldn't be surprised if it's billions.   Mao said, "Religion is the opiate of the masses".   If he were alive today, he'd say, "Smartphones are the opiate of the masses".  
  • Reply 23 of 47
    At what point will this emoji madness end? It may have been cute and maybe even slightly useful with the first hundred or so, but with the number now approaching 3,000, it's just ridiculous now.
    patchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 47
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    Rayz2016 said:
    I expected the Samsung bagel to be a lot more crispy.

Hahaha, good one!

Honestly, I want to know who copied who? Samsung copy Apple's original, or did both come up with similar bagel emoji, so Apple wanted to make their's unique by adding cream cheese?

Those other companies have no taste... pun intended.
  • Reply 25 of 47
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member

neilm said:

Yah, the explosion of emoji boggles one's mind. I suspect it's Apple's effort to keep favourable to Asian cultures where emoji has been popular far longer than Western cultures. But since they are merely following along with the industry as a whole, I still ponder the question — how many of these emoji will never get used?
  • Reply 26 of 47
    ireland said:
    ATP episode 294:
    http://atp.fm/episodes/294

Show notes: "The abomination that is Apple's take on the bagel emoji."

Play from 0:30 for a listen. This episode happened two weeks ago... previous to this update. If you listen you may conclude this conversation in particular influenced Apple here. It’ll be interesting to hear John’s take on Apple’s second effort. His uncanny valley comment was enlightening and spot on:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley
    There's no way a podcast episode from 2 weeks ago initiated this.  Apple isn't a mom-and-pop startup that goes from idea to implementation (of anything) in days.

Most of those other icons look like donuts or cakes.  Apple will surely will the Best Bagel Emoji of 2018 award.  
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 27 of 47
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Really slow news day, huh?
    You'd be surprised about the emails and calls we got about this, this morning. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 28 of 47

coolfactor said:

Yah, the explosion of emoji boggles one's mind. I suspect it's Apple's effort to keep favourable to Asian cultures where emoji has been popular far longer than Western cultures. But since they are merely following along with the industry as a whole, I still ponder the question — how many of these emoji will never get used?
    They made a movie about this very thing. :wink: 
    llama
  • Reply 29 of 47
    What, and i repeat WHAT, the heck is that Twitter abomination supposed to be? It could be a tasty cookie?
  • Reply 30 of 47
    ireland said:
    ATP episode 294:
    http://atp.fm/episodes/294

Show notes: "The abomination that is Apple's take on the bagel emoji."

Play from 0:30 for a listen. This episode happened two weeks ago... previous to this update. If you listen you may conclude this conversation in particular influenced Apple here. It’ll be interesting to hear John’s take on Apple’s second effort. His uncanny valley comment was enlightening and spot on:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley
    I heard that podcast too. God I hope Apple is not basing decisions on that kind of crap. The endless whining about the bagel emoji was unbearable, and just plain wrong. They even found a way to complain about the texture inside the bagel, as if there's another way to do it (there isn't, so now we have the unnecessary complication of the shmear). Emoji's could not be simpler to understand, but some people will find a way to complain about anything I guess. IIRC they were even parroting criticism of some entomologist who said an insect emoji didn't have the correct number of body segments ffs.

Attention Apple pundits:
    Emojis need to be the most easily identifiable and relatable to the majority of people. It is not complicated.

The original bagel fit that description perfectly.
  • Reply 31 of 47
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    Maybe as a substitute for the real thing we can get a new iMac, Mac mini and Mac Pro emoji.

• Reply 32 of 47
    zoetmb said:
    neilm said:

Meet me at the (bagel emoji) store.

Although, personally, I would never, ever do that.  When did Apple start thinking we're all immature 12-year-old girls?   Maybe I'm just too old.  I'm not expecting Apple to only design for my demographic, but when Apple started pushing stickers in their TV ads combined with every company's emphasis on emojis, it really rubbed me the wrong way.  Can you imagine how many hours of productivity are lost by people wasting time sticking cartoon stickers over their selfies?   It's definitely millions and I wouldn't be surprised if it's billions.   Mao said, "Religion is the opiate of the masses".   If he were alive today, he'd say, "Smartphones are the opiate of the masses".  
    Total nonsense. First, Apple doesn’t design the emoji characterset spec, it’s by committee and Apple is just implementing the characters. Second, I’m not a child and use them all the time. As do my correspondents. Third, no, hours of productivity are not being wasted. Put down the bourgeoisie pipe. 
    fastasleep
  • Reply 33 of 47

At what point will this emoji madness end? It may have been cute and maybe even slightly useful with the first hundred or so, but with the number now approaching 3,000, it's just ridiculous now.
    People complaining about too many emoji characters are as crazy as people complaining about too many words in a language. It’s madness to complain about that. Use the ones you like. Don’t use the ones you don’t like. You are not a victim.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 34 of 47

neilm said:

Sorry but you’re apaprently quite ignorant on how emoji are created. They aren’t invented by Apple, it’s a standardized character set. You may not use ones relevant to you but I may. 
  • Reply 35 of 47
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member

People complaining about too many emoji characters are as crazy as people complaining about too many words in a language. It’s madness to complain about that. Use the ones you like. Don’t use the ones you don’t like. You are not a victim.
    Funny, it reminds me of the fiction I just read the other day, where in the near future people replace words with emojis to be used as international language.
  • Reply 36 of 47
    zoetmb said:
    Mao said, "Religion is the opiate of the masses".   If he were alive today, he'd say, "Smartphones are the opiate of the masses".  
    I believe you’ll find the quotation is more closely associated with Marx than Mao. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opium_of_the_people
    And, our devices (smartphones, etc.) might indeed be serving in the place of religion for many!

😎🇮🇪☘️ 
  • Reply 37 of 47
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,361member
    hexclock said:
    Microsoft’s version looks the worst of course, and Twitters... not really sure what that is supposed to be. 
    Agreed, Microsoft’s bagel is totally lame. An unpaid intern probably did it. Google’s bagel is okay, it has seeds, but the filling is yellowed, like the cream cheese has gone bad or maybe it’s egg salad. The Twitter bagel doesn’t look like a bagel. It looks more like Sheetz Pumpkin Gobbz / Whoopi Pie with a hole in it.
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 38 of 47
    Has it really come to this? We have a thread on a bagel emoji...
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 39 of 47
    I am not a cream cheese eater so this bagel looks less appealing to me. HOW IS APPLE GOING TO RECTIFY THIS SITUATION TO PLEASE ME?!?! This must be another change brought about by Angela Arhendts!!

(just kidding. I don’t eat cream cheese but I also don’t care about emojis to the point I would complain)
    Wtf does Angela have to do w/ emojis???

I think you may be confused about her job position- she’s in charge of retail: https://www.apple.com/leadership/angela-ahrendts/
  • Reply 40 of 47
    rolyroly Posts: 74member
    This is all well and good, but I don’t even HAVE the bagel emoji on iOS 12. Maybe it’s not on the UK keyboard?