One month later: iPhone XS versus the iPhone XS Max

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    netrox said:
    I really hate the super sized iPhones. It's really a problem. It's the same mindset with people having for McMansions and supersized meals where they measure their egos based on how big their things are. It's a sickness. There is nothing appealing about carrying a big ass phone around. I have XS and while I love it, it's really pushing to how much I can tolerate the size. I don't like the weight and the size being too large. The sense of portability is lost. I have Appe Watch. I have iPad. I have MacBook Pro. I have iMac. I much have everything Apple but damn it, Apple, stop making iphones bigger to appeal to those size queen idiots.
    Congrats Netrox.  I went and registered just to reply to this comment.  I'm not going to flame you because I think there is too much of that on these iPhone and Android forums.  Having said that, where do you get your information?  I use a large phone because.... I like a large phone.  Simple as that!  I'm not an idiot, no more than anyone else.  I don't have an ego.  I just like a phone that I can see well.  I like the large screen for watching videos on.  I even like regular sized meals in the drive thru!  Maybe you're just trolling and I took the bait, but what a moronic comment.  Large phones are popular for a reason.  The beautiful thing is that there is a phone for everyone nowadays.  Big, small, iPhone, Android, flip phone.  Someone else made a comment that I agree with 100% when responding to your comment:  You’ve made the terrible mistake of believing your own opinions are facts.
    iqatedowatto_cobramuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 22 of 38
    I was tempted by the larger screen of the XS Max, but even the XS is too big for my taste. If Apple released an iPhone X-style phone but was smaller than the X/XS I’d probably have gotten that. I’ve had the 4s, 5s, 6, 7, X, and now the XS, and ever since the 6 the phones were too big for my taste. Otherwise I really like the XS though, and I was ‘lucky’ because the screen colour uniformity is excellent like my 7 was while all the others (including the X, which I had two) weren’t so great.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 38
    Disagree with this article. Just returned my max for a regular xs. The max is the most uncomfortable phone i ever had. Reaching for the notifications and control panel is just possible with two hands or if u use a lot of finger/hand gymnastics. Other big android phones don't have this problem because one just swipes down in the middle of the screen to pull down the notifications. 
    Also the weight of the max is just to much. Heavy as hell for a phone. 
    A phone has to be comfortable because it stays with u everytime. The max can't give u that at all. Much happier with the much more pocketable regular xs. 

• Reply 24 of 38
    So that was a little confusing. There is landscape mode in the iPhone XS max or not? I’ve been told there isn’t, and when I went to look at it at the Apple store I couldn’t get it to go into landscape mode.
  • Reply 25 of 38
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    The real question for the gift I want to give Mrs Entropy for her birthday tomorrow, is do I give her an XS Max or a picture of an iPhone XR?
    edited October 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 38
    I wasn’t convinced I wanted a bigger phone than my 5s...the 7 changed my mind in an hour.  Then the X changed my mind further in another hour.  The Xs Max...man it seemed big at first, it actually took me a day!  No turning back now though...words cannot describe how much I love this phone!!!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 38
    Smaller bezels? the difference in screen to body ratio is likely because the notch and bezels are the same size but the screen is larger. Not due to bezels being smaller.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 38
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    If iPhone XS MAX is worth more than $100 price difference than iPhone XS than XS at $999 is $100 more expensive. All along XS was suppose to be $899. I believe XR is better deal for most.
  • Reply 29 of 38
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    I would expect that the iPhone XS is a little faster overall than the MAX because the CPU wouldn't have to push around so many pixels as on the MAX.

The MAX would also really look silly on my Harley. It's just to BIG. The screen size is already just over a inch bigger from my iPhone 6. Going from 4.7" to 5.8" I don't want to carry around a huge phone everywhere I go. If you had a purse, OK, a big phone is not a big deal.

I have my 12.9" iPad Pro when I want a BIG screen!!! I take it to work every day. That's not a big deal. I bring it to work, put it in my Office and it sits there. I'm sure not going to bring it everywhere I go.

I just think the overall size of the XS is perfect. It's mostly screen and yet not much larger overall than my iPhone 6 it replaced.
  • Reply 30 of 38
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    Yes, I agree with the author! I have Max, and once you go Max, everything else looks cramped. I just wished Apple made Max size last year for X release, but also glad they didn't so all the kinks should be ironed out regarding FaceID, etc.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 38
    M68000 said:
    What would really be cool is a new phone size bigger than the SE but slightly smaller than the iPhone 8 with the new "liquid" retina LCD screen making the most out of the size.  
    iPhone XS size is exactly what you described. It is is bigger than SE but slightly smaller than 8. Just because the display covered the whole front screen, the physical size itself is not bigger.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 38
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,368member
    I went from an iPhone 6 Plus to an iPhone XS Max. Not once have I noticed any difference in size, whether it’s in my hand or in my pocket. The size is simply a non-issue. One thing to note is that after using the 6 Plus for a while I did realize that placing the icons of the most often accessed apps in the lower half of the screen, including the dock, makes your life easier. If you are constantly stretching to reach the top rows of your plus sized phones you may want to rethink your icon layout. You should prioritize app icon placement from the bottom to the top, with frequency of use being the determining factor. If you think your most important app icons should be on top, you’re doing yourself a disservice. 

Added: To better support the bottom-up optimization Apple should put a setting in the iPhone to allow unused screen space to be on the top rather than on the bottom. This would solve almost all reachabilty issues since you’d be able to have multiple screens half filled from the bottom-up. I wonder if Apple even thought of this ridiculously simple solution? 
    edited October 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 38
    dewme said:
    I went from an iPhone 6 Plus to an iPhone XS Max. Not once have I noticed any difference in size, whether it’s in my hand or in my pocket. The size is simply a non-issue. One thing to note is that after using the 6 Plus for a while I did realize that placing the icons of the most often accessed apps in the lower half of the screen, including the dock, makes your life easier. If you are constantly stretching to reach the top rows of your plus sized phones you may want to rethink your icon layout. You should prioritize app icon placement from the bottom to the top, with frequency of use being the determining factor. If you think your most important app icons should be on top, you’re doing yourself a disservice. 

Added: To better support the bottom-up optimization Apple should put a setting in the iPhone to allow unused screen space to be on the top rather than on the bottom. This would solve almost all reachabilty issues since you’d be able to have multiple screens half filled from the bottom-up. I wonder if Apple even thought of this ridiculously simple solution? 
    I use reachability which is very easy to use to get into the top row icons with one hand. On iOS12 it is off by default but you can turn it on in settings. To bring the screen down on X/Xs/XsMax, just slide the screen down over the bottom edge.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 38
    The real question is "why no product red?" If there was a RED Xs Max, at least for me, it would be game over. I'd  be all over it. 
    Just wait for it. Most iPhones with the exception of the XR never initially came out with a product red color. They usually come out much later.
    I wouldn’t expect it on iPhone XS.
    It’s a 6 month “trick” to swing up sales as they start to dwindle. Notice it happened on the 8/8+, but NOT on their bestselling iPhone X last year. I fully expect XS/XS Max sales to not need this boost in 2019.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 38
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,368member
    kevin kee said:
    dewme said:

I use reachability which is very easy to use to get into the top row icons with one hand. On iOS12 it is off by default but you can turn it on in settings. To bring the screen down on X/Xs/XsMax, just slide the screen down over the bottom edge.
    You kind of missed the point. If Apple included a setting to allow users to bottom-justify their screen icons rather than only providing the top-justify mode users could only fill their screens from the bottom-up based on their own natural reachability.  Reachability as a "mode" is required because Apple pushes all of the icons to the top. In a greater sense, the inability of define screen layouts on iOS is a bit of a problem. The "matrix of icons" model was a good first start in 2007, but with newer iOS devices with much larger and higher resolution screens, and especially iPads, it is woefully inadequate and outdated. It's like driving the Flintstones car when your neighbors are driving the Jetson's hover car.
  • Reply 36 of 38
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    It ain't just me, more and more people are getting fed up with supersized phones and Palm announced a small phone designed for that. Apple needs to do the same with its phones as well. I'd buy it in a heartbeat and I know millions would. Apple is lunatic to keep churning out big phones and not understanding that more and more of us are TIRED of phones getting bigger and bigger (with bigger prices as well). We want SMALLER phones. Those people who are size queens are just not "cool" anymore. They are losers. Always have told them I hate their big ass phones. And their excuses are typical - "I have big hands" or "My eyes suck" or whatever. Just stop. I am 46 wearing eyeglasses and I think my Xs is still too big. And I am tired of paying 250 more just because of it being the smallest of all current generation iPhones.

Again, I don't give a damn if I hurt your feelings. Your feelings don't matter to me whatsoever. My post is all about how I feel, not how you feel.

As for Palm: https://mashable.com/article/palm-phone-vs-google-pixel-3/#a2jrKi5bPPqY
  • Reply 37 of 38
    PhillyJim said:
    So that was a little confusing. There is landscape mode in the iPhone XS max or not? I’ve been told there isn’t, and when I went to look at it at the Apple store I couldn’t get it to go into landscape mode.
    I think the author was referring to the home screen working in landscape. Safari, Mail etc all work happily in either orientation on the Xs.

I was a small-iPhone hold-out, buying the SE at launch for its size and holding on until earlier this year for an SE Mk2 ...but it never came. So I replaced my SE with Apple's smallest iPhone: the Xs. It's a great piece of kit and much of the time I can convince myself that the bigger phone is fine. But it's still bulkier and, what I notice most, heavier than the SE. However, I think the extra usability is a fair trade: the bigger display obviously but also the camera: the dual cameras give a big increase in the types of photo you can take and their picture quality is getting really quite good.
    netroxwatto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 38
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    The iPhone XSmax would be my dream iPhone, were it not for Apple scamming people with the eSIM.

Bought the phone because I’m sick and tired of running around with two phones, so when I noticed my overseas carrier supporting eSIM, that’s when I decided to get the new phone.

Got QR code and all, just to get an error message, that this carrier isn’t supported.
    Upon inquiries with the carrier, it turns out their QR code is hardware independent, provided the phone has a GSMA industry standard eSIM.
    Apple deviates from the standard to insert itself as gatekeeper between carriers and their customer, a move that should get the anti-trust authorities active.

In short, do not expect increased competition and lower prices from the eSIM, as Apple makes you want to believe; instead expect lower number of options and expensive “tailored for iPhone” plans, as well as carriers having to pay Apple to get access to their proprietary crap.

Thanks Apple, for nothing!