Analysts change tune, now say $1,000 Huawei Mate 20 Androids are a bargain

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    maestro64 said:
    Wow this site is really obsessed over what the media says about Apple competitors. Why do you care?
    Because it is DED and it always a good thing to call out the fake media and point out their obvious mistake. If this is not done then people walk around thinking these people know what they are talking about.

Just more evidence you should not trust most things you may read.

And trusting DED is even more evidence that you should not trust most things you read. He spins a narrative based around twisting facts to ensure that Apple always comes out on top. Basically if he writes a hit piece against a competitor, you can be sure that the competitor is doing something right because it has DED afraid for Apple.
    avon b7KITAmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 22 of 44
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member
    KidAKidB said:

And trusting DED is even more evidence that you should not trust most things you read. He spins a narrative based around twisting facts to ensure that Apple always comes out on top. Basically if he writes a hit piece against a competitor, you can be sure that the competitor is doing something right because it has DED afraid for Apple.
    The “narrative” is actually 10K SEC reports, not any “twisted facts,” but you are right that “Apple always comes out on top.” 

It undermines your accusations that you can’t point out any inaccuracy in anything said here.  

Android fanaticism is particularly odd in how it turns its adherents into blind proponents of a wildly corrupt South Korean conglomerate and a bunch of marginal Chinese PC makers who largely ship shoddy $200 phone hardware and spy on users for the PRC. The more legitimate licensees have all been destroyed by Android itself.

Google doesn’t even care about Android anymore. It’s chatting up Fuchsia and Chrome, and trying to figure out how to ditch Andy Rubin’s unlicensed JavaME the same way it got rid of Rubin’s disasterois Motorola acquisition and Rubin’s cash hemorrhaging robotics firms. 
    tmaypscooter63claire1netmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 44
    I feel DED needs to write articles in attempt to "defend" apple from "threats". look how venomous he is to samsung and now since Huawei overtook apple in phone sales, he needs to attack them. I have two Huawei phones Honor 8 and Honor 7x and they are both fantastic phones for their price.
    KITAclaire1muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 24 of 44
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    I feel DED needs to write articles in attempt to "defend" apple from "threats". look how venomous he is to samsung and now since Huawei overtook apple in phone sales, he needs to attack them. I have two Huawei phones Honor 8 and Honor 7x and they are both fantastic phones for their price.
    For the record, Huawei beat Apple in sales in Apple's third quarter. If you want to make comparisons, do it year on year.

Maybe Huawei will exceed Apple's numbers for this year, but I doubt that. Apple is going to have a blow out, epic first quarter, driven by iPhone X sales. That's the quarter we are in now.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 44

Wow this site is really obsessed over what the media says about Apple competitors. Why do you care?
    DED is an opinion columnist and this is his beat. He's "employed", not "obsessed". Have you ever read a newspaper? Do you accuse the Star Tribune staff of being "obsessed" about their beats? Why not?

The more interesting question is, why do you stalk DED every single week to whine about not understanding an opinion column? It's pathological at this point. Does it affect your life in other ways? Doesn't sound very pleasant.
    DED is indeed obsessed in attacking anything that is against apple, he is a hardcore apple fanboy and most of his articles attack anything that dares to go against apple. He has repeatedly predicted the failure of android several times. Once in 2009
    http://www.fakesteve.net/2009/11/rabid-fanboy-guest-blogger-daniel-eran-dilger-on-why-android-will-fail.html

and 2013 titled "Google appears ready to ditch Android over its intellectual property issues

and last week
    "Google is downplaying android to focus its future on Chrome OS"

Android is not going anywhere and no matter what Mr.Dilger predicts android will not disappear
    KITAclaire1muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 26 of 44
    avon b7 said:
    AI has a largely healthy attitude to competitors. The problem with this piece, which I had to stop reading because I realisee who had penned it, is that the author's obsession with competitors is not healthy IMO.
    The point though is that that situation has NOTHING to do with Apple.
    Maybe you shouldn’t have stopped reading. This piece talks about how Apple was taken to task for a $1000 phone, but when an android phone costs $1000 it’s deemed fine and totally acceptable by the media.
    Apple generates clicks. That’s why. Of course DED knows that.
    claire1
  • Reply 27 of 44

DED is an opinion columnist and this is his beat. He's "employed", not "obsessed". Have you ever read a newspaper? Do you accuse the Star Tribune staff of being "obsessed" about their beats? Why not?

The more interesting question is, why do you stalk DED every single week to whine about not understanding an opinion column? It's pathological at this point. Does it affect your life in other ways? Doesn't sound very pleasant.
    DED is indeed obsessed in attacking anything that is against apple, he is a hardcore apple fanboy and most of his articles attack anything that dares to go against apple. He has repeatedly predicted the failure of android several times. Once in 2009
    http://www.fakesteve.net/2009/11/rabid-fanboy-guest-blogger-daniel-eran-dilger-on-why-android-will-fail.html

and 2013 titled "Google appears ready to ditch Android over its intellectual property issues

and last week
    "Google is downplaying android to focus its future on Chrome OS"

Android is not going anywhere and no matter what Mr.Dilger predicts android will not disappear
    Google didn't say the Android word during the big event that they just had. That is an indication, in my opinion, that Google is moving to Chrome for its hardware. The only question is whether the well received, but limited sales Pixel, will move on to Chrome OS in the future, or will stick to Android OS.

Huawei et al, barely compete with Apple, simply as they aren't running iOS. That's also the reason that Apple keeps its margins so high; Apple doesn't compete in the zero sum Android OS device marketplace.
    KITAwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 44
    KidAKidB said:
    maestro64 said:
    Because it is DED and it always a good thing to call out the fake media and point out their obvious mistake. If this is not done then people walk around thinking these people know what they are talking about.

Your last sentence nails it. Reading all these DED “editorials” one gets the impression deep down DED has fears about Apple. It’s all projection.
    KITAavon b7muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 29 of 44
    KITAKITA Posts: 392member
    clarker99 said:
    Galaxy Note series has been in the $1000+ range for a couple years and the tech media didnt say a thing about the price or the lack of sales (not to mention the the mostly free pass Samsung got for the Note 7 debacle).

The Pixel 3 XL 64gb is priced at $899 which is $150USD more than the iPhone XR 64gb. 

Anyway the price narrative around Apple devices needs to be shot into the sun. 

PS: I just looked at the Pixel Slate cost... and almost spit up my coffee. 
    The Pixel 3 XL competes with the iPhone XS Max, not the XR.
  • Reply 30 of 44
    " if Google's global brand and its expertise with Android and Chrome OS isn't enough to push out premium hardware, how will a bunch of failing licensees best known for bundling spyware on copycat hardware designs rival Apple?" Love it. On the fake media front, try not to conflate business/industry analysts for media. The analysts are the meat, media generally just communicates what analysts are saying and don't imply knowledge/strategy about the industry. When it comes to device reviews, tech media can definitely get fan-boyish, but they don't generally forecast Apple's doom on their own. It's the industry analysts that are providing the flawed arguments.
    wlymwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 44
    KITA said:
    clarker99 said:
    Galaxy Note series has been in the $1000+ range for a couple years and the tech media didnt say a thing about the price or the lack of sales (not to mention the the mostly free pass Samsung got for the Note 7 debacle).

The Pixel 3 XL 64gb is priced at $899 which is $150USD more than the iPhone XR 64gb. 

Ha. No it doesnt
    claire1netmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 44
    KidAKidB said:
    maestro64 said:

You're right.
    For the competition; copying Apple is the right thing to do.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 44
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    Ummm this is about APPLE. Nice try twisting the narrative though.

The writers are pissed about hypocrisy and bias against Apple.
    tmaynetmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 44
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    KidAKidB said:
    maestro64 said:

I'm sorry, was something factually incorrect?

These knockoffs copy everything else, may as well copy the price, too.

Gruber points out how this chinese-knockoff is now even copying many of the iOS icons. Pathetic: 

https://daringfireball.net/linked/2018/10/16/huawei-ripoff-express

And twitter convo here:

- copies the iPhone X notch 
    - copies icons (Health, Music, Settings, Phone)
    - copies tons of UI like camera including the Live Photo icon
    - copies battery icon when charging

...Similar to my screen-element-comparison of the google-knockoff, they really go all-out in copying the Camera app UI:

What I don't get is, there are some idiots actually buying these knockoffs at Apple prices!

See.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 44
    KITAKITA Posts: 392member
    clarker99 said:
    KITA said:
    clarker99 said:

Ha. No it doesnt
    It has a better camera, better display, better modem and leagues better AI features. While its Snapdragon 845 is from early 2018, it's supplemented by Google's own Pixel Visual Core SoC for ML processing and their own Titan M chip for security. It's a fast and responsive flagship phone that will receive the latest of Google's offerings for years to come.

It also comes with unlimited online cloud storage for photos and videos, Pixel USB-C headphones, USB-C fast charger, USB-C to USB-A adapter and a USB-C to 3.5 mm in the box (although I won't count it, there's also a free Pixel Stand wireless charger for pre-orders).

It's not going to sell in vast numbers, and its notch is rather ugly, but saying that it doesn't complete in the flagship space along with the iPhone XS Max is just being ignorant.
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 36 of 44
    KITA said:
    clarker99 said:
    KITA said:
    clarker99 said:

Ha. No it doesnt
    It has a better camera, better display, better modem and leagues better AI features. While its Snapdragon 845 is from early 2018, it's supplemented by Google's own Pixel Visual Core SoC for ML processing and their own Titan M chip for security. It's a fast and responsive flagship phone that will receive the latest of Google's offerings for years to come.

It also comes with unlimited online cloud storage for photos and videos, Pixel USB-C headphones, USB-C fast charger, USB-C to USB-A adapter and a USB-C to 3.5 mm in the box (although I won't count it, there's also a free Pixel Stand wireless charger for pre-orders).

It's not going to sell in vast numbers, and its notch is rather ugly, but saying that it doesn't complete in the flagship space along with the iPhone XS Max is just being ignorant.
    It's a boutique product. That's the nicest way of putting the Pixel product line. Maybe call it a hobby, like all Google phones since the Nexus models.

I don't think that either Pixel 3 model competes directly with the XS Max, but it certainly does compete in the Android OS flagship space, but only in a very bland way. Huawei threw every bit of hardware features available into the Mate 20 line as a differentiator to Samsung primarily, but still comes up short against the Pixel 3 in the Android OS variant contest, a particular weakness of Chinese OEM's selling into the rest of the world.

Lots of choice with Android OS, but almost never is a single phone model as good as an iPhone in actual use. It's that vertical stack of software, silicon, and hardware that Apple excels at.

edited October 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 44
    KITA said:
    clarker99 said:
    KITA said:
    clarker99 said:

Ha. No it doesnt

Hey look free stuff and fast charging cube. I go to bed with nearly 50% battery life in my Max. My camera is awesome. My screen is awesome. I dont need fast charging or adapters (AirPods). My network speeds are great. A12 is the best. Face ID is terrific  I could get a great Google experience on my iPhone using all the Google apps. I trust Android zero with security/privacy so I just choose to avoid Google and their surveilance services. I dont have any interest in paying Google $900 to surveil and exploit my privacy. ‘Free’ unlimited cloud storage and a ‘free’ charging stand are not a fair trade off for $900 and my personal data. 
    tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 44
    Hgo SHgo S Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    The 128GB Mate 20X is 899 Euros, and it IS a bargain when it costs 1155 Euros for a 64 GB iPhone XS.
  • Reply 39 of 44
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    I suppose people who complain DED's article:
    1. never read the articles he wrote before, or
    2. can't handle the truth, or
    3. all of the above
    tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 44
    Wow this guy is really obsessed over what AppleInsider says about what the media says about Apple competitors. Why do you care?
    tmaynetmagekiltedgreenwatto_cobra