Apple issues invites to October 30 iPad Pro and Mac 'There's more in the making' event in ...

Posted:
in iPad edited October 2018
Apple has started to dispatch invitations to the media for an event on October 30, one which is expected to involve the launch of new iPad Pro models and potentially refreshed Mac models.

Distributed at 12pm Eastern on Thursday, the invitations reveal the event will take place in New York City at 10am on October 30, held at the Brooklyn Academy of Music, Howard Gilman Opera House.

Along with the teaser text advising "There's more in the making," it is noted that not everyone received the same invitation. Shared images of the invitations on Twitter reveal a number of different designs for the Apple logo are being used to promote the event, suggesting the theme for the event could be art related.

Apple has historically given seven or eight days notice before an October event. The company hasn't given more than that for a fall event since Steve Jobs was CEO.

AppleInsider will be bringing you the reveal of whatever Apple releases, live from the event.

What's coming

Only Apple knows what it will reveal at this event -- but there were so many rumors before the September one that Apple could just mop up what's left. Sources who got the details right about the new iPhones and Apple Watch Series 4 continue to point to there being specific releases up Apple's sleeves before the end of the year and this is the event to reveal them in.

New iPad Pro models are expected at the event. Rumors suggest the new iPads will take on design elements from the iPhone X such as the drastically reduced bezel around the display screen.

Renders of a purported iPad Pro redesign
Renders by Onleaks

Alongside this, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo claims that the iPad Pro will come in an updated 12.9-inch model and a brand new 11-inch one.

New Macs

Although this is not as solidly backed up as the iPad rumors, several rumors claim that there will be a refreshed iMac. It's specifically said to have an improved screen and, possibly supporting this idea, earlier this month Apple informed its stores that its supplies of some existing iMac screens were low.

Apple's current iMacs

Apple's other desktop, the Mac mini, is similarly rumored to be getting updated with a "professional" remake, but more attention from the mainstream consumer is being focused on the claim that there will be new -- and cheaper -- MacBooks.

What's missing

We've stuck to where there is at least decent evidence of a new product coming. Other rumors suggest that HomePods, AirPods, and presently vaporware AirPower are all conceivable with the former two being outside possibilities.

Keep up with AppleInsider by downloading the AppleInsider app for iOS, and follow us on YouTube, Twitter @appleinsider and Facebook for live, late-breaking coverage. You can also check out our official Instagram account for exclusive photos.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 111

In NYC ?!?!

Seems unusual …No ?

cornchipjbdragonwelshdogcaladanianMisterKit
  • Reply 2 of 111
    Ming-Chi Kuo is covertly Tim Cook’s boss is the rumor why Kuo is right 98% of the time on his predictions!
  • Reply 3 of 111
    I don’t even believe this myself, but…

Please let me have an iPad mini pro with phone functionality.  :)
    cornchipleftoverbaconpontavignon
  • Reply 4 of 111
    Ming-Chi Kuo is covertly Tim Cook’s boss is the rumor why Kuo is right 98% of the time on his predictions!
    I heard that Ming-Chi Kuo actually is a Steve Jobs that’s traveled back in time from an alternate timeline.  ;) 
    melodyof1974
  • Reply 5 of 111
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes!!!!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 111
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    10am EDT =  7am PDT. Yuck.
    samrodmacseeker
  • Reply 7 of 111
    So looking forward to an iPad Pro with an A12X.
    jbdragonjoeljrichardssarthoswatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 111
    almost too late. almost don't care. almost
    claire1
  • Reply 9 of 111
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,110member

In NYC ?!?!

Seems unusual …No ?

Yeah, I don’t remember that ever happening. Certainly not recently. And it’s interesting given that they have that beautiful Steve Jobs Theater which is probably not booked for something more important on the same day. Maybe they wanted to coincide with somebody’s travel schedule, like a band performing at the event. A quick look at the NYC concerts for that period makes me think it has to be Air Supply...or Descendents...or Lee Scratch Perry...or GWAR?
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 10 of 111
    d_2d_2 Posts: 118member
    Wishful thinking ... the stacked Apple graphic is a hint of Mac modularity 
    leftoverbacondewmedocno42watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 111
    oh, I was getting a little worried... it was getting late in October with no invitation... saved! 

Finally an event I can hopefully get excited about.
    sarthosclaire1watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 111
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    I think they look good. I'd get a set for my Dad as this is something he would love, but the price tag? Ouch.
    svanstrom said:
    I don’t even believe this myself, but…

Please let me have an iPad mini pro with phone functionality.  :)
    That's already out, it's called the iPhone XS Max.
    mwhiterare commentronntenthousandthings
  • Reply 13 of 111
    Is this a private event or can we buy tickets?
  • Reply 14 of 111

In NYC ?!?!

Seems unusual …No ?

Reminds me of good times past when Macworld Expo was also held in NYC. I still have one of the the I🍎NY pinback buttons they handed out.
    ronn
  • Reply 15 of 111

In NYC ?!?!

Seems unusual …No ?

They did their most recent education event in Chicago. Maybe NY as it's a mecca for art?
    curtis hannahbb-15dewmepscooter63
  • Reply 16 of 111
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    If the new iPads look like that above, I'll be upgrading my almost 1 year old 12.9" iPad Pro. I already have someone at work who wants to buy it. That may change when I tell the person what I want for it. They're not cheap.

Strange it's being held in N.Y. at the Brooklyn Academy of Music, Howard Gilman Opera House. Then again it has a Seating capacity of 2,104. I just figured this one would be a smaller low key event. Looks to be the complete opposite. So iPad Pro's and Mac's? Updated Macbook Air? Mac Pro, or still to early for that. That may be a 2019 product. For holding the press conference here of all places, it would have to be GRAND.
    edited October 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 111
    The images almost seem too obvious as a reference to the iPad Pro and drawing (or perhaps Photoshop).
    bb-15sarthosronnMisterKitfastasleeppscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 111
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    I'm beginning to think the Mac Mini will be updated when the Mac Pro is updated. Not that they are related necessarily, but it would be an opportunity to reveal a Mini with more "pro" features.

Would like to see Airpods 2 at this October event. My wife lost hers on a trip recently. Her mother had just died a couple of weeks prior and she was not really thinking clearly. She believes they popped out of her purse when she pulled out her wallet. I'll get her a new pair for Christmas - it would be nice to have gen 2 by then.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 111
    cpenzone said:

In NYC ?!?!

Seems unusual …No ?

They did their most recent education event in Chicago. Maybe NY as it's a mecca for art?
    Just covering the most visited/ populated cities in the U.S.? San Francisco, Chicago and New York are all on the I80 corridor, but I doubt that's a reason.

Could it be a possibility they are opening a New Apple Store near the venue or one of these product launches might make New York a great backdrop for a new AR or maps iPad app?
    macky the mackyradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 111
    eightzero said:
    10am EDT =  7am PDT. Yuck.
    9pm here.