Apple issues invites to October 30 iPad Pro and Mac 'There's more in the making' event in ...

Comments

• Reply 41 of 111
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    welshdog said:
    I'm beginning to think the Mac Mini will be updated when the Mac Pro is updated. Not that they are related necessarily, but it would be an opportunity to reveal a Mini with more "pro" features.

I've concluded that the iPad mini is at its end of life as well. I don't expect to see an update, putting it in the same category as Apple Airports. I will miss both of these products.

Pretty sure the XS Max is the replacement for the iPad mini. 

I've pondered going with a mac mini and separate display instead of replacing my iMac when the time comes. But given how Apple treats the mac mini vs. the iMac, I really am gun shy of that.
    ronn
  • Reply 42 of 111
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,280member
    eightzero said:
    10am EDT =  7am PDT. Yuck.
    Time to even it up a little. Those 10am pacific events are a bit inconvenient for those of us on the east coast.
  • Reply 43 of 111
    mike1 said:
    eightzero said:
    Time to even it up a little. Those 10am pacific events are a bit inconvenient for those of us on the east coast.
    1pm ET is inconvenient? Right in the middle of the day? Really?
    ronnfastasleepmacseekerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 111
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,008member
    All the graphical variations makes me think Adobe will be a big part of the iPad segment...
    edited October 2018 StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 111
    eightzero said:

Oh, well no problem then. My grandson's iPad Mini feels really sluggish with iOS12 so I would like to replace it with something that has faster hardware. I'll just pay $1,100 for an iPhone XS Max instead of $400 for an iPad Mini.

;) 
    svanstrom
  • Reply 46 of 111
    Interestingly, the Brooklyn Academy of Music, or BAM as most call it, is literally a hundred feet from the new Downtown Brooklyn Apple Store. A minor side street, that is often shut down for various events, separates them. Wondering if the Apple Store might be used for the product demos. Could probably even setup temporary tents to connect the Store to BAM and increase the demo area
    ronncurtis hannahwatto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 111
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member

In NYC ?!?!

Seems unusual …No ?

Reminds me of good times past when Macworld Expo was also held in NYC. I still have one of the the I🍎NY pinback buttons they handed out.
    Never knew that!   I went to tons of them in Boston and San Francisco but never New York.
  • Reply 48 of 111
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    MacPro said:

In NYC ?!?!

Seems unusual …No ?

Reminds me of good times past when Macworld Expo was also held in NYC. I still have one of the the I🍎NY pinback buttons they handed out.
    Never knew that!   I went to tons of them in Boston and San Francisco but never New York.
    The clamshell iBook, the first laptop with built in wifi, was introduced at the 1999 Macworld event in New York.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 111
    wonderwomanwonderwoman Posts: 9unconfirmed, member
    eightzero said:
    people in Asia, Europe be like.... YAY!!!
    ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 50 of 111
    eightzero said:
    people in Asia, Europe be like.... YAY!!!
    Nah. I prefer like 9 or 10 west coast time. So much more convenient with what in Europe becomes an evening event; just relaxing infront of the tv with a pizza.  B)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 111
    Such beautiful images in the invites.

Here's a challenge:  Pick a Favorite.

Cheers.
    pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 52 of 111
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    Maybe they chose New York to announce Apple is splitting off the Mac division. Might get some attention.
  • Reply 53 of 111
    eightzero said:

Oh, well no problem then. My grandson's iPad Mini feels really sluggish with iOS12 so I would like to replace it with something that has faster hardware. I'll just pay $1,100 for an iPhone XS Max instead of $400 for an iPad Mini.

;) 
    My original iPad mini runs fine for what I use it for on iOS9, where it is frozen. I'd buy a new iPad Mini 4 for < $200 if I could find that. But certainly not the retail prices currently demanded. 
  • Reply 54 of 111
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    bkkcanuck said:
    eightzero said:
    9pm here.

1am the next day, here.

So are they going back to the 6 colour logo? Or are they just doing a retrospective on Apple logos and products? One of them looks like it's calling back to e-World.

I hope there are new Mac minis, although I'm not immediately in need of one. I'd just like them to update the line before I need to buy a new one.

Eric_in_CTwatto_cobra
  • Reply 55 of 111
    The invites are all just graphics that were designed on the iPad Pro. I'd love to see them announce an iMac with Pencil support, but that won't happen. Still I'll probably buy that new iPad even though my original 9.7 inch Pro is fine.
    curtis hannahwatto_cobra
  • Reply 56 of 111
    thttht Posts: 5,437member
    After using my iPad Pro 10.5 for a year (and years and years of the kids’ iPad 9.7 models), and seriously thinking about buying the iPad Pro 12.9, my wishful thinking features for iPad Pros are:

0. Landscape orientation as default (Apple logo oriented for landscape, Face ID for landscape)
    1. 12” and 15” diagonal 5:4 aspect ratio displays
    2. External monitor support
    3. A more capable keyboard layout
    4. Overlapping multi-document, multi view UI
    5. Shell access

I have a MBP15 for work, and the above features are about what I’d need to replace it with a tablet. I use my iPad Pro 10.5 flat on a table in landscape mostly, and use the software keyboard exclusively. I’ve really enjoyed using it this way as it allows easy stylus and keyboard usage. It’s like using it like a piece of paper. While the keyboard is out, it halves the app display area. A 5:4 aspect ratio would give me more app display area. Overlapping apps or views are obvious in their benefits.

The software keyboards have keys that should be there, and keys that should not be there. I want to banish the emoji and microphone keys, at least to the half-height row on top. Current place is horrible. Then, meta keys should be in their place. The copy, cut and paste keys should be permanent on the half height row, instead disappearing for certain apps. Then, 12” will be wide enough for tab, escape, arrow keys, and meta keys. Just go all the way make the text cursor trackpad functionality into a generallize pointer.

The more that Apple can get the iPad UI (and devices) to scale from novice to expert users, the better.
  • Reply 57 of 111
    Hoping for the long shot AirPods. Hoping for some water proofing. The mics in mine are dead due to water damage. (My wife wore them while running in the rain).

Still sound great, but no talky with them. sigh.
    edited October 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 58 of 111
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    thrang said:
    All the graphical variations makes me think Adobe will be a big part of the iPad segment...
    QuarkXPress also just appeared on the Mac App Store. Blast from the past!
  • Reply 59 of 111
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    entropys said:
    Maybe they chose New York to announce Apple is splitting off the Mac division. Might get some attention.
    That seems as likely as Apple announcing they found extraterrestrial life. 
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 60 of 111
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member

Appleish said:
    Hoping for the long shot AirPods. Hoping for some water proofing. The mics in mine are dead due to water damage. (My wife wore them while running in the rain).

Still sound great, but no talky with them. sigh.
    Maybe it was sabotage.