Apple issues invites to October 30 iPad Pro and Mac 'There's more in the making' event in ...

Comments

• Reply 61 of 111
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,418member
    d_2 said:
    Wishful thinking ... the stacked Apple graphic is a hint of Mac modularity 
    Sure, just like the others hint at new Macs being made of paint splatters, black dust, mountains, and chrome. Makes perfect sense. 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 62 of 111
    tht said:
    Landscape orientation as default (Apple logo oriented for landscape, Face ID for landscape)
    Personally I’d rather have a keyboard case that actually supports the iPad in portrait mode.

It’s just ridiculously stupid that I can’t raise the iPad up to portrait mode for more focused typing or FaceTime video. 
  • Reply 63 of 111
    laytechlaytech Posts: 335member
    New iMac mini please. About time I hope.
  • Reply 64 of 111
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Funny, I called this in a Reddit comment early in the morning.   

Sadly we we still have zero rumors about any Mac Mini replacement.  Im really hoping for an ARM based device and a much much lower intro cost.   Apple needs to bring the cost of the base Mini way down to the $250 to $300 dollar range and they can only do that with an ARM powered device.  

Yes I serious about that price for the base model.    I would expect an A12 class processor in the machine with a likely $300 jump to the next level machine which would have an Apple ha sed ARM chip for laptops and desktops.  This would be B1 to distinguish it from the A series in discussion.   B1 would have more high performance cores, an enhanced GPU and a Neural Engine doubled in size.  The CPU’s would support the ARM/Fujitsu variable length vector instructions.   

Heyit it is a dream!    

Recently, after buying the XS, I’ve been reconsidering getting a new iPad.  The XS is rather impressive and is handling many of the things I’d be using an iPad for.  I’m just not sure the expense is worth it for me.  This especially when I need a new low cost Mac Mini or two.  It is actually a bit frustrating to have all of this new Apple hardware come at us att seams time.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 65 of 111
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,572member
    The website for AIR SUPPLY's tour shows they are in NYC and have a wide gap around Oct 30th that could fit into this event. There are a couple of songs in their discography that would be quite appropriate for this event. Their band's name and Apple's product line both contain the word AIR. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 66 of 111
    jbdragon said:
    I think they look good. I'd get a set for my Dad as this is something he would love, but the price tag? Ouch.
    svanstrom said:
    I don’t even believe this myself, but…

Please let me have an iPad mini pro with phone functionality.  :)
    That's already out, it's called the iPhone XS Max.
    No, it's scheduled for 2019 and will be called the iPhone XI Mad Max :#
    curtis hannahwatto_cobra
  • Reply 67 of 111
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    tht said:
    After using my iPad Pro 10.5 for a year (and years and years of the kids’ iPad 9.7 models), and seriously thinking about buying the iPad Pro 12.9, my wishful thinking features for iPad Pros are:

0. Landscape orientation as default (Apple logo oriented for landscape, Face ID for landscape)
    1. 12” and 15” diagonal 5:4 aspect ratio displays
    2. External monitor support
    3. A more capable keyboard layout
    4. Overlapping multi-document, multi view UI
    5. Shell access

I have a MBP15 for work, and the above features are about what I’d need to replace it with a tablet. I use my iPad Pro 10.5 flat on a table in landscape mostly, and use the software keyboard exclusively. I’ve really enjoyed using it this way as it allows easy stylus and keyboard usage. It’s like using it like a piece of paper. While the keyboard is out, it halves the app display area. A 5:4 aspect ratio would give me more app display area. Overlapping apps or views are obvious in their benefits.

The software keyboards have keys that should be there, and keys that should not be there. I want to banish the emoji and microphone keys, at least to the half-height row on top. Current place is horrible. Then, meta keys should be in their place. The copy, cut and paste keys should be permanent on the half height row, instead disappearing for certain apps. Then, 12” will be wide enough for tab, escape, arrow keys, and meta keys. Just go all the way make the text cursor trackpad functionality into a generallize pointer.

The more that Apple can get the iPad UI (and devices) to scale from novice to expert users, the better.

So basically, what you need Apple to do before you can replace your MacBook Pro with an iPad, is turn the iPad Pro into a MacBook. It sounds like the MacBook Pro is the ideal tool for you.

The website for AIR SUPPLY's tour shows they are in NYC and have a wide gap around Oct 30th that could fit into this event. There are a couple of songs in their discography that would be quite appropriate for this event. Their band's name and Apple's product line both contain the word AIR. 

The Greatest Heavy Metal Band in the World!

(Seriously? They're still touring? Who knew?)

pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 68 of 111
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    wizard69 said:

Sadly we we still have zero rumors about any Mac Mini replacement.  Im really hoping for an ARM based device and a much much lower intro cost.   Apple needs to bring the cost of the base Mini way down to the $250 to $300 dollar range and they can only do that with an ARM powered device.  
    New Mac features typically debut in the Macbook Pro. It had the first Retina display, first super-fast SSD, first "T" chip. And it gets a major redesign every 4 years so I'm thinking we will see an ARM Macbook Pro in 2020, and that lines up with Ming-Chi Kuo's timeline for an ARM Mac too.

Buuutttt, if Apple is shifting the Mac to ARM they will have to release an ARM dev box maybe 1 year before that to give devs a chance to adapt. So maybe the Mac Mini will be recast from the low-cost Mac to an dev-centric device and will be the first to get ARM. 

Because if you made it dev-centric, then even though it was lower end in spec, it could still run Xcode faster than a higher end box, because the iOS emulator could run natively.
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 69 of 111
    eightzero said:
    welshdog said:
    I'm beginning to think the Mac Mini will be updated when the Mac Pro is updated. Not that they are related necessarily, but it would be an opportunity to reveal a Mini with more "pro" features.

I've concluded that the iPad mini is at its end of life as well. I don't expect to see an update, putting it in the same category as Apple Airports. I will miss both of these products.

Pretty sure the XS Max is the replacement for the iPad mini. 

I've pondered going with a mac mini and separate display instead of replacing my iMac when the time comes. But given how Apple treats the mac mini vs. the iMac, I really am gun shy of that.
    I too think it doesn’t look good for the iPad mini. But I haven’t written it off as dead quite yet. Even if it doesn’t get an update at the October 30th event, I still think there is one more chance. When the regular iPad gets an update again next Spring. If the iPad mini doesn’t get at least an update and pencil support then....then it’s over for sure. Personally I would love to see an 8.5” bezel-less iPad mini with pencil support. But I am not going to wait for that to happen. I will definitely be updating my iPad mini to one of the new pros this month. Can’t wait.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 70 of 111
    Predictions:

Review of macOS Mojave

Imac: spec bumped to Coffee Lake architecture.  Updated AMD graphics option.  Maybe USB 3.1 gen 2.

Imac Pro: No changes

Mac mini: redesign. Coffee Lake w/Intel graphics. Thunderbolt 3 driving two 4K screens.  Two models, Core I3 & Core I5. A "Pro" version with Core i7 hyper threaded functionality. USB 3.1.  No hard drives will be offered, only SSD options.  8, 16 and 32 GB (pro model) memory options.

Macbook: spec bump, Amber Lake chipset

Macbook Air: either a Whiskey Lake spec bump or cancellation altogether.  If cancelled, a second MacBook model (14") will be introduced

Mac Pro: probably skipped but we may see the chassis with a "stay tuned" notice if the shipment is Q1 of 2019.  Later than that, no mention.

Apple TV: unchanged but will likely discuss updates to tvOS 12

Review of iOS 12

iPad Pro 10.5 and 12.9" both get new chassis with edge screens...screens might be different sizes than current models. A12X Bionic chips. LED LCD screens.  Updated Apple Pencil.  USB-C is a maybe.

2nd gen AirPods but no charging mat

curtis hannahwatto_cobra
  • Reply 71 of 111
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    wizard69 said:

Yes I serious about that price for the base model.    I would expect an A12 class processor in the machine with a likely $300 jump to the next level machine which would have an Apple ha sed ARM chip for laptops and desktops.  This would be B1 to distinguish it from the A series in discussion.   B1 would have more high performance cores, an enhanced GPU and a Neural Engine doubled in size.  The CPU’s would support the ARM/Fujitsu variable length vector instructions.   

Heyit it is a dream!    

Recently, after buying the XS, I’ve been reconsidering getting a new iPad.  The XS is rather impressive and is handling many of the things I’d be using an iPad for.  I’m just not sure the expense is worth it for me.  This especially when I need a new low cost Mac Mini or two.  It is actually a bit frustrating to have all of this new Apple hardware come at us att seams time.  
    Mark Gurman has a decent track record so I believe him when he says a new Mac mini will be announced.  Sounds like it's going up market

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-10-18/apple-to-unveil-ipad-macbook-laptop-overhauls-on-oct-30

"Beyond tablets, the company is planning an entry-level Mac with a high-resolution screen to succeed the once-popular MacBook Air. The new Mac mini desktop will focus on professional users."
  • Reply 72 of 111
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    What about new Macbook ?
  • Reply 73 of 111
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    Appleish said:
    Hoping for the long shot AirPods. Hoping for some water proofing. The mics in mine are dead due to water damage. (My wife wore them while running in the rain).

Still sound great, but no talky with them. sigh.
    That’s really surprising, reviewers and testers have submerged them in water and run thru the clothes washer, no damage. I’d have a hard time believing rain could be more invasive.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 74 of 111
    svanstrom said:
    tht said:
    Landscape orientation as default (Apple logo oriented for landscape, Face ID for landscape)
    Personally I’d rather have a keyboard case that actually supports the iPad in portrait mode.

It’s just ridiculously stupid that I can’t raise the iPad up to portrait mode for more focused typing or FaceTime video. 
    New keyboard dock mock-up:

thtmattinozclaire1fastasleep
  • Reply 75 of 111
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,066member
    sevenfeet said:
    Predictions:

Review of macOS Mojave

Imac: spec bumped to Coffee Lake architecture.  Updated AMD graphics option.  Maybe USB 3.1 gen 2.

Imac Pro: No changes

Mac mini: redesign. Coffee Lake w/Intel graphics. Thunderbolt 3 driving two 4K screens.  Two models, Core I3 & Core I5. A "Pro" version with Core i7 hyper threaded functionality. USB 3.1.  No hard drives will be offered, only SSD options.  8, 16 and 32 GB (pro model) memory options.

Macbook: spec bump, Amber Lake chipset

Macbook Air: either a Whiskey Lake spec bump or cancellation altogether.  If cancelled, a second MacBook model (14") will be introduced

Mac Pro: probably skipped but we may see the chassis with a "stay tuned" notice if the shipment is Q1 of 2019.  Later than that, no mention.

Apple TV: unchanged but will likely discuss updates to tvOS 12

Review of iOS 12

iPad Pro 10.5 and 12.9" both get new chassis with edge screens...screens might be different sizes than current models. A12X Bionic chips. LED LCD screens.  Updated Apple Pencil.  USB-C is a maybe.

2nd gen AirPods but no charging mat

I predict very very little of that will happen at all. This is clearly a iPad artsy event. The second one from the bottom will consume nearly all of the event. Any use of the word "mac" will relate to software and how easy it is to do artsy stuff on you iPad then move it to the mac, and vice versa.We will see game demos and photo demos. A big long demo of photoshop and pencil stuff. Maybe some movie making. Other that iPad hardware, I predict Apple will not announce any new mac stuff at all. 

But...I hope I'm wrong.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 76 of 111
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,066member
    wizard69 said:
       Apple needs to bring the cost of the base Mini way down to the $250 to $300 dollar range and they can only do that with an ARM powered device.  

Heyit it is a dream!    

It is indeed a dream. Apple doesn't do cheap. Ever. If/when we ever see a new mac mini, it will be in the $500 range. For a base model. 

At some point, I sort of wonder if Apple simply makes a monitor with some basic connectivity. Simply slide in your iOS device, and viola! A desktop computer.
  • Reply 77 of 111
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,303member
    Ming-Chi Kuo is covertly Tim Cook’s boss is the rumor why Kuo is right 98% of the time on his predictions!
    Kuo is not even close to 98 percent right in his predictions. I’ve been checking his record closely, and he’s closer to 50 percent right. He makes good educated guesses, then walks back a lot of his long-term predictions later (everyone forgets this). He’s good at calling specific stuff 3-4 months out, suggesting he has a factory source, but his more general predictions are often wrong.
    macky the mackySpamSandwichclaire1ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 78 of 111
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,303member
    svanstrom said:
    I don’t even believe this myself, but…

Please let me have an iPad mini pro with phone functionality.  :)
    I hate to rain on anyone’s parade, but I think this unlikely. Pros don’t use iPad minis, and that whol line is on death’s door (well, it seems to have the same status as the iPod Touch, let’s put it that way). A mini “pro” iPad with phone functionality seems far-fetched, though of course any iPad with cellular can be used as a VOIP device currently (I use FreedomPop, for example).
  • Reply 79 of 111
    eightzero said:
    wizard69 said:
       Apple needs to bring the cost of the base Mini way down to the $250 to $300 dollar range and they can only do that with an ARM powered device.  

Heyit it is a dream!    

It is indeed a dream. Apple doesn't do cheap. Ever. If/when we ever see a new mac mini, it will be in the $500 range. For a base model. 

At some point, I sort of wonder if Apple simply makes a monitor with some basic connectivity. Simply slide in your iOS device, and viola! A desktop computer.
    They already patented the laptop version of that, and some other company I'd that this year, so it definitely could happen in the future.
  • Reply 80 of 111
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    eightzero said:
    10am EDT =  7am PDT. Yuck.
    11:00 pm here. Not so bad.