YouTube is now trash

Posted:
in AppleOutsider
The advertising on YouTube is now so intrusive it is obnoxious. A little advertising was acceptable but Google wanting you to sit through a fifteen minute infomercial to see a ten minute video is insane. Granted most ads are a minute long and you can skip them after a few seconds but really? A commercial before every video is annoying considering the quality of most videos is not that great and I won't finish watching them. No thank you.

Yes I read about YouTube Red but for how much I watch YouTube it certainly isn't worth the price of a Netflix subscription.

/endRant
Elmo1

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
  • Reply 2 of 29
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,211member
    daven said:
    The advertising on YouTube is now so intrusive it is obnoxious. A little advertising was acceptable but Google wanting you to sit through a fifteen minute infomercial to see a ten minute video is insane. Granted most ads are a minute long and you can skip them after a few seconds but really? A commercial before every video is annoying considering the quality of most videos is not that great and I won't finish watching them. No thank you.

Yes I read about YouTube Red but for how much I watch YouTube it certainly isn't worth the price of a Netflix subscription.

/endRant
    If you take a subscription to Google Music then YouTube Red is free. Just a thought.
  • Reply 3 of 29
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    gatorguy said:
    daven said:

/endRant
    If you take a subscription to Google Music then YouTube Red is free. Just a thought.
    I'll pass. I listen to my owned iTunes music or the radio when I want to listen to music. I have no use for another monthly bill.
  • Reply 4 of 29
    daven said:
    gatorguy said:
    daven said:

/endRant
    I'll pass. I listen to my owned iTunes music or the radio when I want to listen to music. I have no use for another monthly bill.
    Perfectly understand. There's lots of free music available. No need spending money on anything you're not likely to use, just wanted to mention it for those that are into streaming music and really enjoy Youtube too but not the ads. 
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 5 of 29
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    gatorguy said:
    daven said:
    gatorguy said:
    daven said:

/endRant
    Perfectly understand. There's lots of free music available. No need spending money on anything you're not likely to use, just wanted to mention it for those that are into streaming music and really enjoy Youtube too but not the ads. 
    I listen to classic country on Heartland NPR using the Internet station option on my Denon receiver. Every once in a while they have a pledge drive and I toss in $5 which is a much better deal than any streaming service and there are no commercials or political talk shows. It really makes for a more relaxing experience.
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 6 of 29
    I do not care if need to wait a few second before i can skip the ads, but sometimes, the ads cannot be skip, and i think the advertiser pay high to Google for this kind of ads because the "guaranteed" view impression
    daven
  • Reply 7 of 29
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,555member
    The uploader of the video can decide whether ads should be shown before, during, or after the video, and also whether they are skippable or not. The advertiser has no say in this.
    gatorguycgWerksScriling
  • Reply 8 of 29
    lexolexo Posts: 26member
    On one side yes, but on the other side..youtubers are generally earning big from all of this commercialization taking place. My best friend's sister just got to 200,000 subscribers..she is contemplating on quiting her full time job  :o
  • Reply 9 of 29
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,555member
    lexo said:
    On one side yes, but on the other side..youtubers are generally earning big from all of this commercialization taking place. My best friend's sister just got to 200,000 subscribers..she is contemplating on quiting her full time job  :o
    I hope to be able to buy a small dinner from my YouTube earnings at some point. 
    daven
  • Reply 10 of 29
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    lexo said:
    She one of those cleavage displaying video game players?
  • Reply 11 of 29
    lexo said:
    She one of those cleavage displaying video game players?
    Haha. No, she does make-up and Beauty products reviews.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    lexo said:
    Oh, much better, then. I can see why that’d be popular.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    lexo said:
    Oh, much better, then. I can see why that’d be popular.
    But best believe, a little cleavage is always needed..well sometimes. Haha
    edited April 2017 razorpit
  • Reply 14 of 29
    Truth be told nothing is ever really free. We all end up paying somehow. That’s just how it is.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    Yeah, lots of ads in every channel while watching songs or another thing. This really irritating all the time.
    oliv88
  • Reply 16 of 29
    YouTube is consistently shutting down the ability to play straight MP4 streams of its videos, to the point where there’s a very specific sequence of events that you have to do (and an even longer number of actions you can’t take) in order to get a native player in iOS. Without the native player, you can’t Picture in Picture or full screen, and for me that makes YouTube totally useless. HookTube used to be my go-to because of this. It ALWAYS gave the native player. But Google decided to shut them down, and now I’m getting stuck again.

If we ever reach a point where the native player is totally inaccessible, I will never use YouTube again for any reason. You hear that, google? You’ll never finish that profile of me.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    YouTube is consistently shutting down the ability to play straight MP4 streams of its videos, to the point where there’s a very specific sequence of events that you have to do (and an even longer number of actions you can’t take) in order to get a native player in iOS. Without the native player, you can’t Picture in Picture or full screen, and for me that makes YouTube totally useless. HookTube used to be my go-to because of this. It ALWAYS gave the native player. But Google decided to shut them down, and now I’m getting stuck again.

If we ever reach a point where the native player is totally inaccessible, I will never use YouTube again for any reason. You hear that, google? You’ll never finish that profile of me.
    TS, it's not likely Google even knows who you are. At best you're an Advertising Identifier number. 
  • Reply 18 of 29
    Philander said:
    Yeah, lots of ads in every channel while watching songs or another thing. This really irritating all the time.
    I can relate to the pain honestly. 
    grynmacha
  • Reply 19 of 29
    I know this feeling too well. Being able to play music/sound while using other apps is how Youtube will be able to redeem itself for me.  :D
    SmartLJ
  • Reply 20 of 29
    grynmacha said:
    I know this feeling too well. Being able to play music/sound while using other apps is how Youtube will be able to redeem itself for me.  :D
    That's not what they gonna do. And those advertisings are a real disaster now. I tried Youtube kids app for my sister so she could watch cartoons without those unpleasant ads. But now there is a lot of advertising content there as well. I just tired of that my sister calls me all the time to skip the ads...
    edited October 2018