Apple issues invites to October 30 iPad Pro and Mac 'There's more in the making' event in ...

Comments

• Reply 81 of 111
    thttht Posts: 5,421member
    anome said:

So basically, what you need Apple to do before you can replace your MacBook Pro with an iPad, is turn the iPad Pro into a MacBook. It sounds like the MacBook Pro is the ideal tool for you.

No. I want digital paper that can do the same work that I can do with a clamshell laptop. I like to use drawing input at times. It’s not the same form factor and not the same experience. I think the iPad, or tablets, can definitely get there as refinements go by.

Something like a 15” display at 1.5 lb and 0.25” thick sounds great. Wide enough for a full size software keyboard, big enough for lots of views, large canvas for drawing, and you can use it as an input device while driving an external monitor.

It doesn’t mean I want clamshells to go away. I’m a fan of Apple producing more form factors. 8” 21:9 iPad that can be in your pocket? Yes. 35” iMac? Yes. 17” MBP? Yes. 5” iPhone X? Yes. Heck, a dedicated iPod with cellular that only streams music (cellular fees parts of Apple Music subscription)? Sure. 

Apple has to push and push so that all their devices are as capable and pleasurable to use as possible.

The website for AIR SUPPLY's tour shows they are in NYC and have a wide gap around Oct 30th that could fit into this event. There are a couple of songs in their discography that would be quite appropriate for this event. Their band's name and Apple's product line both contain the word AIR. 

The Greatest Heavy Metal Band in the World!

(Seriously? They're still touring? Who knew?)

I actually went to one of their concerts a few years ago. Still kicking.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 82 of 111
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Such beautiful images in the invites.

Here's a challenge:  Pick a Favorite.

Cheers.

Rayz2016
  • Reply 83 of 111
    qwweraqwwera Posts: 281member
    “In the making” suggests to me that they will show not only products that will go on sale later this year, but probably demo products that are still in development and scheduled for future release next year.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 84 of 111
    chasm said:
    svanstrom said:
    I don’t even believe this myself, but…

Please let me have an iPad mini pro with phone functionality.  :)
    I hate to rain on anyone’s parade, but I think this unlikely. Pros don’t use iPad minis, and that whol line is on death’s door (well, it seems to have the same status as the iPod Touch, let’s put it that way). A mini “pro” iPad with phone functionality seems far-fetched, though of course any iPad with cellular can be used as a VOIP device currently (I use FreedomPop, for example).
    So… what’s a pro, and exactly why are they unable to use smaller iPads?
    edited October 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 85 of 111
    roakeroake Posts: 809member
    I’m actually looking forward to new AirPods and Apple Pencil 2.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 86 of 111
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    tht said:
    anome said:

So basically, what you need Apple to do before you can replace your MacBook Pro with an iPad, is turn the iPad Pro into a MacBook. It sounds like the MacBook Pro is the ideal tool for you.

No. I want digital paper that can do the same work that I can do with a clamshell laptop. I like to use drawing input at times. It’s not the same form factor and not the same experience. I think the iPad, or tablets, can definitely get there as refinements go by.

Something like a 15” display at 1.5 lb and 0.25” thick sounds great. Wide enough for a full size software keyboard, big enough for lots of views, large canvas for drawing, and you can use it as an input device while driving an external monitor.

It doesn’t mean I want clamshells to go away. I’m a fan of Apple producing more form factors. 8” 21:9 iPad that can be in your pocket? Yes. 35” iMac? Yes. 17” MBP? Yes. 5” iPhone X? Yes. Heck, a dedicated iPod with cellular that only streams music (cellular fees parts of Apple Music subscription)? Sure. 

Apple has to push and push so that all their devices are as capable and pleasurable to use as possible.

The website for AIR SUPPLY's tour shows they are in NYC and have a wide gap around Oct 30th that could fit into this event. There are a couple of songs in their discography that would be quite appropriate for this event. Their band's name and Apple's product line both contain the word AIR. 

The Greatest Heavy Metal Band in the World!

(Seriously? They're still touring? Who knew?)

I actually went to one of their concerts a few years ago. Still kicking.
    dedicated iPod with cellular that only streams music...”

Built in to Apple Watch.  Wish granted. 
    StrangeDayswatto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 87 of 111
    eightzero said:
    welshdog said:
    I'm beginning to think the Mac Mini will be updated when the Mac Pro is updated. Not that they are related necessarily, but it would be an opportunity to reveal a Mini with more "pro" features.

Pretty sure the XS Max is the replacement for the iPad mini. 

I sort of agree with this observation but with a significant reservation. Isn't there a huge price difference between the two product categories? Personally, I have been chomping at the bit for the largest iPad Pro that Apple will offer. I want my phone as small as possible (i.e. still capable of running apps effectively like the iPhone SE which I currently use) and iPad as large as possible.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 88 of 111
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,335member
    HomePod Video to go up against similar products from Amazon, Google, and Facebook. With built in Apple TV functionality and HomeKit dashboard. Perfect holiday gift.
  • Reply 89 of 111
    Appleish said:
    Hoping for the long shot AirPods. Hoping for some water proofing. The mics in mine are dead due to water damage. (My wife wore them while running in the rain).

Still sound great, but no talky with them. sigh.
    That’s really surprising, reviewers and testers have submerged them in water and run thru the clothes washer, no damage. I’d have a hard time believing rain could be more invasive.
    I took them to the Genius Bar (not expecting any help since they were over a year old and they don't sell AppleCare for them). They took them in the back, came back out about 90 seconds later and said, "Water damage. Nothing we can do, other than sell you a new full set." They pointed out green corrosion in the case and said it was bad too. I asked, "Did you come back so fast because this happens a lot and your "lead tech" and you knew so?" He smiled and shrugged. So keep your AirPods out of water. The rumor is that v2 will be "water resistant."
  • Reply 90 of 111
    Will there be a new iPad keyboard at this event?
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 91 of 111
    wizard69 said:
    Funny, I called this in a Reddit comment early in the morning.   

Sadly we we still have zero rumors about any Mac Mini replacement.  Im really hoping for an ARM based device and a much much lower intro cost.   Apple needs to bring the cost of the base Mini way down to the $250 to $300 dollar range and they can only do that with an ARM powered device.  

Yes I serious about that price for the base model.    I would expect an A12 class processor in the machine with a likely $300 jump to the next level machine which would have an Apple ha sed ARM chip for laptops and desktops.  This would be B1 to distinguish it from the A series in discussion.   B1 would have more high performance cores, an enhanced GPU and a Neural Engine doubled in size.  The CPU’s would support the ARM/Fujitsu variable length vector instructions.   

Heyit it is a dream!    

Recently, after buying the XS, I’ve been reconsidering getting a new iPad.  The XS is rather impressive and is handling many of the things I’d be using an iPad for.  I’m just not sure the expense is worth it for me.  This especially when I need a new low cost Mac Mini or two.  It is actually a bit frustrating to have all of this new Apple hardware come at us att seams time.  
    Mark Gurman has a decent track record so I believe him when he says a new Mac mini will be announced.  Sounds like it's going up market

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-10-18/apple-to-unveil-ipad-macbook-laptop-overhauls-on-oct-30

"Beyond tablets, the company is planning an entry-level Mac with a high-resolution screen to succeed the once-popular MacBook Air. The new Mac mini desktop will focus on professional users."
    I’m assuming upmarket means more expensive?
  • Reply 92 of 111
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Take my money. Give me the 11" iPad pro today.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 93 of 111
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    Appleish said:
    Appleish said:
    Hoping for the long shot AirPods. Hoping for some water proofing. The mics in mine are dead due to water damage. (My wife wore them while running in the rain).

That’s really surprising, reviewers and testers have submerged them in water and run thru the clothes washer, no damage. I’d have a hard time believing rain could be more invasive.
    I took them to the Genius Bar (not expecting any help since they were over a year old and they don't sell AppleCare for them). They took them in the back, came back out about 90 seconds later and said, "Water damage. Nothing we can do, other than sell you a new full set." They pointed out green corrosion in the case and said it was bad too. I asked, "Did you come back so fast because this happens a lot and your "lead tech" and you knew so?" He smiled and shrugged. So keep your AirPods out of water. The rumor is that v2 will be "water resistant."
    First I’ve heard of it. Submersion tests sound pretty water resistant already. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 94 of 111
    Here is what I prognosticate ( and yes it is wishful thinking ).

- iPad Pro (pass; iPad is good enough for me). 
    - Mac mini (with some pro options; maybe a 'Mac' as the indicator for the pro Mac mini)
    - iMac updates
    - Macbook 12" update
    - MacBook Air replacement (including the non-touch bar MacBook Pros which will be retired).  not sure what they are going to be called or if the line will be a merger with the MacBook 12" line.
    - A new "low end" monitor (27" 5K; 32" 8K will be released in conjunction with Mac Pro
    - A preview of the Mac Pro (potentially) with the 32" 8K monitor.
    - Revision of Magic Keyboard and trackpads.

watto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 95 of 111
    Appleish said:
    Appleish said:

First I’ve heard of it. Submersion tests sound pretty water resistant already. 
    That about the case suggests that they were wet when placed back in it; that changes a lot. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 96 of 111
    aknabiaknabi Posts: 211member
    See the one with an Apple logo of mini black grains being blown away?
    That's their way of telling you any product with the word "mini" in it is getting blown away.
    Fact. Heard it here first...
    and beat Ming-Chi to it.  ;)
  • Reply 97 of 111
    eightzero said:
    sevenfeet said:
    Predictions:

Review of macOS Mojave

Imac: spec bumped to Coffee Lake architecture.  Updated AMD graphics option.  Maybe USB 3.1 gen 2.

Imac Pro: No changes

Mac mini: redesign. Coffee Lake w/Intel graphics. Thunderbolt 3 driving two 4K screens.  Two models, Core I3 & Core I5. A "Pro" version with Core i7 hyper threaded functionality. USB 3.1.  No hard drives will be offered, only SSD options.  8, 16 and 32 GB (pro model) memory options.

Macbook: spec bump, Amber Lake chipset

Macbook Air: either a Whiskey Lake spec bump or cancellation altogether.  If cancelled, a second MacBook model (14") will be introduced

Mac Pro: probably skipped but we may see the chassis with a "stay tuned" notice if the shipment is Q1 of 2019.  Later than that, no mention.

Apple TV: unchanged but will likely discuss updates to tvOS 12

Review of iOS 12

iPad Pro 10.5 and 12.9" both get new chassis with edge screens...screens might be different sizes than current models. A12X Bionic chips. LED LCD screens.  Updated Apple Pencil.  USB-C is a maybe.

2nd gen AirPods but no charging mat

I predict very very little of that will happen at all. This is clearly a iPad artsy event. The second one from the bottom will consume nearly all of the event. Any use of the word "mac" will relate to software and how easy it is to do artsy stuff on you iPad then move it to the mac, and vice versa.We will see game demos and photo demos. A big long demo of photoshop and pencil stuff. Maybe some movie making. Other that iPad hardware, I predict Apple will not announce any new mac stuff at all. 

But...I hope I'm wrong.
    I don't think they'd do an event just for the iPad Pro.  And as far as the Macs go, everything except for the iMac Pro and MacBook Pro is now over 12 months since refresh and you want to give people a reason to buy new hardware leading up to the Christmas buying season.

Oh and I forgot two things.  They will spend some time talking about how well the Apple Watch 4 is doing.  And the iPad mini is dead.  All that makes a usual 1.5-2 hour Apple event.
  • Reply 98 of 111
    thttht Posts: 5,421member
    Heck, a dedicated iPod with cellular that only streams music (cellular fees parts of Apple Music subscription)? Sure. 
    “dedicated iPod with cellular that only streams music...”

Built in to Apple Watch.  Wish granted. 

Yeah, I see your point, but music discovery (finding the music you want) would be kind of hard on a 1.5” display. Notionally, the product would be like a Kindle to Amazon’s ebook service: a focused product whose only function is to stream and play Apple Music. An Apple Watch LTE could do that, as all other Apple products can, but I want to strip it down even further, to reduce cost. The point is to sell Apple Music subscriptions.

You inevitably get to the point that an Apple Music player is just an iPhone, which basically means $400 minimum. I was thinking of something like $150, a click-wheel interface like in older iPods, LTE, and it only plays Apple Music. But how would people find the music they want? They’ll need to enter text, which means keyboard, which means larger display, which means iPhone. Like, maybe sell the iPhone 5c with Apple S4 SiP (Watch SoC), but limit it to only run Apple Music and sell for $200 plus Apple Music subscription, which will pay for LTE services?

Eventually, AirPods, their future tin can headphones, HomePods (display-less devices) all should be able to act as their own product without an iPhone. They would have LTE built in, and should act as conduits to Apple’s Music and voice assistant services.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 99 of 111
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,695member
    wizard69 said:
    Funny, I called this in a Reddit comment early in the morning.   

Sadly we we still have zero rumors about any Mac Mini replacement.  Im really hoping for an ARM based device and a much much lower intro cost.   Apple needs to bring the cost of the base Mini way down to the $250 to $300 dollar range and they can only do that with an ARM powered device.  

Yes I serious about that price for the base model.    I would expect an A12 class processor in the machine with a likely $300 jump to the next level machine which would have an Apple ha sed ARM chip for laptops and desktops.  This would be B1 to distinguish it from the A series in discussion.   B1 would have more high performance cores, an enhanced GPU and a Neural Engine doubled in size.  The CPU’s would support the ARM/Fujitsu variable length vector instructions.   

Heyit it is a dream!    

Recently, after buying the XS, I’ve been reconsidering getting a new iPad.  The XS is rather impressive and is handling many of the things I’d be using an iPad for.  I’m just not sure the expense is worth it for me.  This especially when I need a new low cost Mac Mini or two.  It is actually a bit frustrating to have all of this new Apple hardware come at us att seams time.  
    Mark Gurman has a decent track record so I believe him when he says a new Mac mini will be announced.  Sounds like it's going up market

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-10-18/apple-to-unveil-ipad-macbook-laptop-overhauls-on-oct-30

"Beyond tablets, the company is planning an entry-level Mac with a high-resolution screen to succeed the once-popular MacBook Air. The new Mac mini desktop will focus on professional users."
    I’m assuming upmarket means more expensive?
    Probably
  • Reply 100 of 111
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    bkkcanuck said:
    Here is what I prognosticate ( and yes it is wishful thinking ).

- iPad Pro (pass; iPad is good enough for me). 
    - Mac mini (with some pro options; maybe a 'Mac' as the indicator for the pro Mac mini)
    - iMac updates
    - Macbook 12" update
    - MacBook Air replacement (including the non-touch bar MacBook Pros which will be retired).  not sure what they are going to be called or if the line will be a merger with the MacBook 12" line.
    - A new "low end" monitor (27" 5K; 32" 8K will be released in conjunction with Mac Pro
    - A preview of the Mac Pro (potentially) with the 32" 8K monitor.
    - Revision of Magic Keyboard and trackpads.  

1) Tim comes out and makes a joke about how he almost died on his way out of the house when a pile of money collapsed on him after he opened the wrong closet door. Customer Sat™. Talks about art and creation on iOS and shows a Banksy drawing on an iPad being shredded by its frame.

2) iPad Pro as rumored in both sizes, FaceID in both orientations, some weird new connector shit and Pencil 2: Electric Boogaloo (it has an eraser? Works with the MacBook Pro trackpad?). Some new Smart Keyboard Case type thing that folds like origami to work in both orientations. Silhouette of the mini appears next to the others with a question mark on it in the lineup slide before an arm with a gun appears from off screen and shoots it in the "head".

3) "Alright, haters" says Tim. "Let's talk about the fucking Mac."

MacBooks - Not sure what's happening here at all, but if the Air exists any longer after this I'll eat my shoe. MacBook line gets updated regardless: Two sizes, price drop — 12" goes to $799, 14" (?) starts at $999? More connectivity/Thunderbolt? No idea except the low end has to drop and kill the Air finally. Anyone picturing the current Air with all of the old school ports and just an updated screen is smoking crack.

Mini - Not dead! Redesigned case, more robust processors (quad/hexacore options) and storage/RAM options, TB3 ports. Anyone expecting some kind of easy-to-mess with box with DIMMs and unsoldered storage is going to be disappointed. I would love to see a first party storage option like the miniStack that OWC sells that basically snaps onto the bottom, but seems unlikely. I really can't picture anything other than a slimmer, more compact box here, nothing super mind-blowing but a solid update for those who want a new mini. And with it, we get new displays.

The 27" 5K display option could possibly explain the shortage of iMac display panel replacement parts maybe? I have no idea, just spitballing. That seems like a likely initial offering though, similar to how the Thunderbolt Display was the same display from the iMac at the time. I've mentioned this before, but I can't imagine them releasing a new mini without a display to market alongside it, as there's no way they're pushing the LG display again. I have no idea about larger/higher res panels as far as what's available on the market and what's possible to be driven by what GPUs, so maybe this is a next year/Mac Pro type thing. Also pairs nicely with the current line of MBPs (shows four running on the 2018 15"). 

iMacs - due for a design refresh by now. Thinner! Thinner bezels, reduced chin, larger screens (dunno what kind of panels are available for this though)? No more 3.5" hard drives, finally. Hexacore i9 options, etc similar to the MBP lineup. New GPUs. Not sure what else to expect here. No more USB-A?

Phil then says, "Can't innovate, my ass!" then pauses and says "Speaking of, we've got a little preview of something we're working on." "We've been listening to our pro customers, and we've completely rethought our rethinking of our approach to our flagship Pro Mac. Video plays, ultimately revealing the Mac Pro which is literally the 2012 Mac Pro case in Space Gray. Mac Pro, coming in 2019. 

THE END