Apple says 'top apps' are integrating Siri Shortcuts

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2018
Apple is drumming up consumer interest in Siri Shortcuts following its release in iOS 12, and on Thursday threw a spotlight on popular apps that integrate the Siri-powered automation feature.

In a press release posted to its website, Apple lists a handful of "top apps" that integrate Siri Shortcuts, an iOS 12 app and underlying service that lets users create powerful system macros with Siri integration.

Apple in its release frames Siri Shortcuts as a do-all automation tool for solving everyday problems from personal productivity to staying healthy.

Similar to AppleInsider's compendium of Shortcuts-compatible apps, Apple lists a few popular titles that now support the iOS 12 feature.

Starting with morning routines, Apple highlights weather reports from The Weather Channel, CARROT and Dark Sky, noting users can access forecasts with voice requests like "radar," "rain report" and "UV index." With Tile integration, users can ask Siri to find their keys or wallet, while Citymapper and Transit help with morning commutes.

Moving on to productivity, Evernote integration allows for quick note creation and sharing, while Day One provides access to journal entries. Fantastical incorporates deeper app control, as users can schedule and preview calendar entries. Trello, Omnifocus 3 and Things also get brief mentions.

Finally, users can log calories and water intake with Lose It!, Yazio and Waterminder, check medication status with MyTherapy, track habits with Streaks and start meditation sessions with 10% Happier and Headspace.

The timing of Apple's release suggests Siri Shortcuts might be off to a slow start. Many of the apps mentioned, including Tile, CARROT, The Weather Channel, Things 3 and others, were updated to support the feature when iOS 12 launched last month.

Built on the latticework of Workflow, an iOS automation app Apple purchased in 2017, Shortcuts delivers a vast array of app and system control options through a drag-and-drop card UI. With Siri integration, the service allows users to roll their own voice prompts for apps that support the feature.

The solution is extremely powerful, but its implementation can be intimidating for some. Apple attempted to break down the complex system, and introduce first-time users to the concept of automations, in a comprehensive user guide last month.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    One of my favorites: alarm.com updated their app to support Siri Shortcuts a couple of weeks ago. It may sound silly but I love that I can arm/disarm my alarm system via Apple Watch now. It’s somewhat of a pain to close the door I plan to exit through, hit the “exit” button, re-open the door and leave while trying to rush a 2 1/2 year old, who doesn’t want to be carried but also doesn’t understand “hustle”, out the door. And not listening to the obnoxious “beeeeeeep” when coming back in is nice, too. I just give the “arm” command when leaving and the “disarm” command when I come home. 

If if I give the command on my iPhone I have to authenticate (with Face ID or passcode) but if I use my Watch I don’t need to (just like using Apple Pay). 

But what’s nicer is building a shortcut that integrates with Home so I can give a command to arm the system and turn off lights and set thermostats at night, and vice verse in the morning. 

Now, Hue adding Siri Shortcuts support has me scratching my head a little. Hue already supports Siri and is available in Home (also with Siri) so it just seems redundant. 
    edited October 2018 laytech
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Streaks has integrated with Siri Shortcuts from day one and it made the app 10 times better. Now you just tell your watch (without having to say Hey Siri btw) and the task is done. So simple yet so effective.  

If you’re like me who set the task for drinking 7 glasses of water a day for example, having to find a phone to finish each one will be very tedious before long. Thanks to Siri Shortcuts it’s now doable and smooth. 

And outside 3rd party app support Siri Shortcuts is also useful. If you logging your blood pressure in Health every morning for example. You'll see this task in Setting/Siri & Search/All Shortcuts and can set whatever operative words you want to call it up. Again, so simple and so smooth. 
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Do shortcuts only work on Apple Watch Series 3 upwards. I cannot get any shortcut going on My Series2

It just says it cannot recognis the command. 
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Rayz2016 said:
    Do shortcuts only work on Apple Watch Series 3 upwards. I cannot get any shortcut going on My Series2

Hmm, I believe I had them work on my Series 0. I’ll check it out later and post back. 
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Rayz2016 said:

Hmm, I believe I had them work on my Series 0. I’ll check it out later and post back. 
    Thanks.

I think they're supposed to work.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Ah, okay.

It looks like the only shortcuts that work are the ones that don't require any screen interaction, which is a massive step backward from the original Workflow app.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Interesting. I only used Workflow for a couple of things and not from my Watch. Did the Watch work for anything with Workflow? If not, then being able to use it for some things seems like a step forward.

Sorry I didn’t get back yet. I set up myy XS yesterday, setup acknowledged both watches but I didn’t start syncing my Series 0 until late and had forgotten how long that process takes. It was pretty fast on my Series 4 but I went to bed waiting for the Series 0 to finish. 
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Siri Shortcuts are nice because they are easy to implement, yet smart and useful.
    Even Kids apps like MyTeeth remind via Siri to brush every evening and let you Autosparte with your kids toothbrush buddy.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,293member
    One of my favorites: alarm.com updated their app to support Siri Shortcuts a couple of weeks ago. It may sound silly but I love that I can arm/disarm my alarm system via Apple Watch now. It’s somewhat of a pain to close the door I plan to exit through, hit the “exit” button, re-open the door and leave while trying to rush a 2 1/2 year old, who doesn’t want to be carried but also doesn’t understand “hustle”, out the door. And not listening to the obnoxious “beeeeeeep” when coming back in is nice, too. I just give the “arm” command when leaving and the “disarm” command when I come home. 

If if I give the command on my iPhone I have to authenticate (with Face ID or passcode) but if I use my Watch I don’t need to (just like using Apple Pay). 

But what’s nicer is building a shortcut that integrates with Home so I can give a command to arm the system and turn off lights and set thermostats at night, and vice verse in the morning. 

Now, Hue adding Siri Shortcuts support has me scratching my head a little. Hue already supports Siri and is available in Home (also with Siri) so it just seems redundant. 
    Thanks for this tip.  I too have Alarm.com and will set this up.