Lack of iPhone XR delivery delays suggest softer launch demand than iPhone XS

Comments

• Reply 21 of 54
    Priced it too high. Priced themselves out of the market. Anyone who has a phone right now that is "good enough" will be sitting out this round of upgrades. 5G will get people to upgrade.  
    williamlondon
  • Reply 22 of 54
    Pre sales slow? Here’s a snapshot of consumer behaviour going on in my household. 1. Want an XR. 2. What colour do I want? 3. Oh no! Every review video, the colours all look different. 4. I won’t pre order, rather wait a week and see the colors for real.
    williamlondonmatrix077
  • Reply 23 of 54
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    So when a product is sold out it’s because Apple is artificially constraining supply to create demand but when a product isn’t sold out it’s not because Apple has sufficiently ramped up supply but because the demand isn’t there?
    Exactly...Apple is damned if they do and damned if they don't. They can't win either way. I'm pretty sure each phone has its own sales goal inside of Apple anyways. Not every single god damn phone is going to sell 50 Million. I don't know why some can't get this through their freaking head and it doesn't mean the phone is a failure if it doesn't sell 50+ Million units. 
    StrangeDayswilliamlondonchia
  • Reply 24 of 54
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    smith54 said:
    Priced it too high. Priced themselves out of the market. Anyone who has a phone right now that is "good enough" will be sitting out this round of upgrades. 5G will get people to upgrade.  
    Bullshit....
    StrangeDayswilliamlondondewmeclaire1Rayz2016
  • Reply 25 of 54
    M68000M68000 Posts: 724member
    Too early to tell how well XR will sell.   But we have to keep in mind the concept of "market saturation" meaning most people have a phone they want or if they don't want - will still hold onto it for a while.   And how many people feel like buying a new phone every year?   Just getting everything stable and setup and then switching out every year?  This is what Wall street may want, but consumers will have the last say...    Also,  pretty obvious a lot of people do not like the new physical sizes of the phones, forget about screen - I'm talking the whole phone size.  It would be awesome to have a new phone bigger than the SE but slightly smaller than the 8 come out with the new all screen look and easier to hold and use.  I know many of you dismiss the idea of these phones being too big, but keep in mind many many others think different than you!  And will vote with their wallet when the time comes.

• Reply 26 of 54
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Why Apple delayed month to release iPhone XR, is to pile up enough inventory to fulfill anticipated high demand quickly.
  • Reply 27 of 54
    smith54 said:
    Omg. You must be joking. They created this market. 
    williamlondonclaire1tmayfastasleep
  • Reply 28 of 54
    M68000 said:
    Too early to tell how well XR will sell.   But we have to keep in mind the concept of "market saturation" meaning most people have a phone they want or if they don't want - will still hold onto it for a while.   And how many people feel like buying a new phone every year?   Just getting everything stable and setup and then switching out every year?  This is what Wall street may want, but consumers will have the last say...    Also,  pretty obvious a lot of people do not like the new physical sizes of the phones, forget about screen - I'm talking the whole phone size.  It would be awesome to have a new phone bigger than the SE but slightly smaller than the 8 come out with the new all screen look and easier to hold and use.  I know many of you dismiss the idea of these phones being too big, but keep in mind many many others think different than you!  And will vote with their wallet when the time comes.

Oh, do tell, how is this obvious? The X was their best-selling model the whole year it was out. 
    williamlondonclaire1tmaytycho_macuserfastasleep
  • Reply 29 of 54
    KBChicagoKBChicago Posts: 21unconfirmed, member
    MacRumors reports that XR models are already selling out.

• Reply 30 of 54
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    So when a product is sold out it’s because Apple is artificially constraining supply to create demand but when a product isn’t sold out it’s not because Apple has sufficiently ramped up supply but because the demand isn’t there?
    Yeah, what a silly assessment. God forbid Apple  learn from past launches and (1) delay the product launch to ensure they have ample supply, and (2) satisfy all orders upon launch.   One would also have to ignore the fact that Apple also realizes this is their biggest seller this year. 

Doesn’t matter, AI along with everyone else will be cheerleading after the October event about how well the launch went.

I was up at 2:45, but that’s just me #Coral
    williamlondon
  • Reply 31 of 54
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    I'm holding off until i can see it and its colors in person; and coincidentally, I just spent $1,000 on tires, so November is my target month for purchase.
  • Reply 32 of 54
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member
    Lack of iPhone XR delivery delays suggest softer launch demand than iPhone XS

Apple are doomed. This time for sure...

Personally I think the XR is going to be a monster hit.
    edited October 2018 claire1anome
  • Reply 33 of 54
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    jgreg728 said:
    Not entirely shocking when you consider the 5c.
    Dude..... No sales have been reported.

5c was a massive success also.
    williamlondonslprescottchiaStrangeDaysfastasleep
  • Reply 34 of 54
    gordy said:
    Yeah, what a silly assessment. God forbid Apple  learn from past launches and (1) delay the product launch to ensure they have ample supply, and (2) satisfy all orders upon launch.   One would also have to ignore the fact that Apple also realizes this is their biggest seller this year. 

Doesn’t matter, AI along with everyone else will be cheerleading after the October event about how well the launch went.

Didn’t you know Apple released the XR last so all the impulse buyers would be forced to buy the more expensive XS. /s
    williamlondon
  • Reply 35 of 54
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    gordy said:

Didn’t you know Apple released the XR last so all the impulse buyers would be forced to buy the more expensive XS. /s
    Snark?

The  release of the Xs & Xs+ were for the [reliable] early adopters and fashionistas, but that wasn’t the point. The Xr is the bread n butter, and Apple couldn’t mess that release up, so they waited until they had millions —in every color — to sell immediately IMO. 
  • Reply 36 of 54
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    gordy said:

Er … this is what you claimed Apple was doing all the time. You've spent years whining about the 'Apple upsell'. So what's the slash S for?
    edited October 2018 StrangeDaysfastasleep
  • Reply 37 of 54
    Wait … Gene Munster?

Isn't he the 'Apple will release a tv set' chap?

Well, since his finger is so firmly on the pulse then I guess I have to believe him.

edited October 2018
  • Reply 38 of 54

macxpress said:
    smith54 said:
    Bullshit....

Succinct.
    Spell-checked
    On topic
    In context.

Yup, gets a point from me.
    williamlondonlkruppmacxpressStrangeDaysfastasleep
  • Reply 39 of 54
    Munster is missing the big point: whether XS, XS Max or XR is the bestselling iPhone doesn’t even matter.

What matters is that the ASP for all 2018 iPhones have increased this year from 2017. So whatever combination Apple sells, guess what, Apple’s final iPhone ASP goes up (a lot) in 2018. 

Unless of course, iPhone volume sales drop drastically. I don’t see that happening. 
  • Reply 40 of 54
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Lots of people are saying there are more supply, but that was never the sole bottleneck. Apple can only do so many delivery per day by their delivery partners, having iPhone Xr still available to order now and delivered on 26th suggest demand is not outstripping the logistics on first day, which is a very rare case for Apple.