Lack of iPhone XR delivery delays suggest softer launch demand than iPhone XS

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 54
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    mike54 said:
    Not surprising there. It has sub par specs and its a larger phone than the XS.
    No it does not have sub par specs.

Larger phone?

is this an oxymoron or?.....
    williamlondonguscatStrangeDays
  • Reply 42 of 54
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    Any phone manufacturer would be happy to have the sales of the 'failed' 5c.

I'm waiting to see what the colors look like in person. But I've got the iPad event to sort out first.

The XR is a little bigger than the Xs. I wish it wasn't, smaller would be my preference. But I won't rule it out until I try it in person.

In the mean time all I can say is poor, poor, beleaguered Apple. They just can't seem to do anything right. A phone sells out— Apple must and misjudged the market and didn't make enough, or their have production problems and aren't skilled enough to keep up. 

OR they don't have a backlog so nobody's buying. Customers are staying away in droves. Apple is doomed. DOOMED, I say!

You just can't miss an analyst predicting a poor future for Apple based on how many people walk out of a store with something that may or may not be a phone.  I suppose Sammie may not meet supposed expectations, but I seldom seen anything in print about it. How will Apple ever survive.
    claire1muthuk_vanalingamStrangeDays
  • Reply 43 of 54
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    avon b7 said:

I was back in the market for an X model until prices were announced. It's now a no go for us.
    From your posting history I highly doubt you were “back in the market” for any iPhone.

The new XS range has launched at the same price level as last year’s X; thus you should be able to get the X at an even cheaper price in clearance sales.
    williamlondonlkruppguscatclaire1StrangeDaysmacxpressfastasleep
  • Reply 44 of 54
    chia said:
    avon b7 said:

I was back in the market for an X model until prices were announced. It's now a no go for us.
    From your posting history I highly doubt you were “back in the market” for any iPhone.

The new XS range has launched at the same price level as last year’s X; thus you should be able to get the X at an even cheaper price in clearance sales.
    I've never really understood the Android/Windows fans who like to pretend to be Apple users who for whatever reason have decided to bail on a product or give up on Apple because they've decided to do something. These people, as opposed to people who are genuine Apple users, are pretty easy to spot.
    williamlondonclaire1fastasleep
  • Reply 45 of 54
    TomETomE Posts: 172member
    lkrupp said:
    Or maybe it suggests Apple got the demand right and has enough product to sell. And so now the metric for how successful an Apple product is means counting the number of people in line? Like going into Best Buy and counting boxes on the shelves? Do these asshats really do that? I know a lot of people wake up every morning and check the news to see if Apple has failed yet but my God, really?
    Lkrupp is correct.  The analysts are trying to keep their jobs and prognosticate at will.  Who really cares ?  I don't care what they say because I have my own internal "feel" of is Apple doing the right thing and are the hiccups even important.  The Prognosticators never come back and report that they were wrong.  They are just selling stories and causing stock churns (+/-).

I care more about the technical articles from reputable people.  Also, I understand enough to know what I read.  
    This stuff is hardy worth reading, especially when Apple has not spoken or shipped a product.  It is all guess work.  And Apple rarely confirms much.  
    It does concern me about the Bloomberg article re Servers being tapped by China.  Tim Cook has spoken out on this and asked for a Public Retraction from Bloomberg.  Either Bloomberg can prove it or not.  They say allegations are that Apple has been spied upon as have up to 20 other companies (+ / -).

This has damaged Not only Apple and the other companies, but Bloombergs own reputation.  I hope Apple can extract a retraction from Bloomberg or take them to court.

Bloomberg, as well as others, who make up this unrealistic stuff, need to be responsible.  Now if Bloomberg can prove it , show the proof or keep quiet.  
    Same for the Analysts that make up news that is not factual.  Now days anyone who has a computer can seemingly write anything - I just did.

RonnnieO
  • Reply 46 of 54
    robjnrobjn Posts: 283member
    The only data is shipping delays. These suggest depleted inventory or constrained logistics.

It flawgic to use this to estimate demand because we don’t know how much supply there is.

Many people think the delayed launch of this product is tactical from a marketing perspective. For all we know, Apple could have been stock piling these for several weeks.

lines at Apple Stores are another flawgic indicator. Pre-orders, launch day delivery and in-store pickup mean that no one needs to go get in line. These days people can drop into the Apple Store late in the afternoon of launch day and pick up the reserved phone they purchased a week earlier or just sit at home and wait for a knock at the door.

The other relevant considerations are that 1) XS only saw short delays for the highest capacity models and this took many hours (the sales mix of higher capacity models seems skewed with pre-order day adopters) 2) many of the XS delivery dates were pulled in, so they delivered sooner than initially stated 3) When I checked after about 16 hours almost all of the XRs on T-Mobile were delayed, even lower capacity models 4) Apple have been getting much better at improving iPhone launches - we have not seen significant delays for phone availability in years (think iPhone 6). 5) The likely buyers of the XR likely fit a different profile to buyers of the XS and may tend to be less likely to be ‘pre-order day’ type people. 6) Now that the product line is split and launches staggered, launch day delays are less of a good indication of anything.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 47 of 54
    Gene Munster knows about delays, he predicted for many years in a row that Apple would make a television. His predictions are much less than awesome. 
  • Reply 48 of 54
    jgreg728 said:
    Not entirely shocking when you consider the 5c.
    Actually, it would be EXCEEDINGLY shocking... were it true.
    However, it seems highly likely that the additional month between launches this year allowed for a much larger than usual ramp up of production, for the iPhone model that they knew would sell much better than any other model this year.
  • Reply 49 of 54
    If the stock of iPhones are greater than before, sales could be the same and simply have less delays. I don't know how they draw these conclusions that demand is soft, especially in the course of a single day. What they really need to know is exactly how many units are being sold. There's lots of time before the holiday season, so I think they should give XR sales some time before claiming anything, positive or negative. Wall Street only sees Apple as the iPhone company although it's becoming more than that.
  • Reply 50 of 54
    You could believe this crap, or you know, wait for Apple to announce their earnings.
    Wait for earnings?!! It's almost impossible to manipulate the stock at that point. It's better to just use the first day of sales to determine a sales trend. /s
    claire1muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 51 of 54
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,881member
    chia said:
    avon b7 said:

Well noted — this guy is a troll poser for sure. His mission is plain, pump up the chinese knockoffs. 
    macxpress
  • Reply 52 of 54
    Or the extra month gave them more time to build supplies or pinpoint demand.
  • Reply 53 of 54
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,694member
    chia said:
    avon b7 said:

1. If you doubt I was in market, are you saying the iPhone 6 is not due for an upgrade?

2 . I didn't upgrade to the X last year precisely due to the price. In more than a year I have seen less than 5 in the wild. I know exactly one person who has one (and it is a hand-me-down). I travel around Barcelona Capital and parts of the Barcelona Metropolitan area five days a week. I commute for more than an hour  in and out of Barcelona on one of the busiest lines that passes through a very popular tourist destination for affluent people. I use public transport exclusively.

With a client listing of over 200 people you can be sure that I see a huge amount of phones at work and in the wild. I work with some very rich people.

The lack of iPhone X sightings this past year has been notable to say the least.

3. If I am upgrading I would prefer to have a new phone, not a clearance item, which ironically, is also expensive. In fact, I don't even remember seeing any at clearance prices.

My personal phone is an Android phone and is perfect for me. I left iOS on phones as iPhones were not affordable for me. This, in spite of all the horror stories about Android phones, and the experience has been amazing.