Apple's iPhone XS Max smashes Google's Pixel 3 in benchmark testing

Comments

• Reply 41 of 134
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,312member
    MacPro said:
    Copying and a 'good enough' approach to business will only get you so far!

It shows the extraordinary effort Apple puts into every facet of the iPhone. From glass, software, chips, battery, cameras, antennas, etc., etc. 

And, the syncing of everything across all my devices. 

I will never have a Google, MS, Samsung, Amazon, or Facebook device in my home or service on my devices! :)

I can't wait until Apple makes all my devices look "Anonymous" on the internet! 

It's coming! :)

You're in such a tiny minority, like one in a million.  The whole internet is Google's playground and Android OS overwhelmingly dominates.  Almost no one on the planet is concerned with personal privacy because almost everyone wants free services.  Paying for those free services with personal data is completely acceptable to billions of internet users.  Everyone believes Apple is missing out by not having eavesdropping/listening devices in every room.  I believe most consumers don't mind being spied upon.  It makes them feel important that someone is listening to their every word.
    'Android OS overwhelmingly dominates.'  .... Oh, I fell off my chair laughing.  Dominates in landfills, kids' basements and crackerjack toys maybe.
    Not to be too pointed, but you can use a search engine right? You do realize that Apple in 2018 only has between 12-15% of the market share in cell phones, right? Apple is good to keep around, but they are not an overall threat to the entire market, just like in computers. It is the illusion of competition to keep people buying things... There is a reason that Microsoft bailed Apple out when it almost went bankrupt by buying 30% of the stock. Microsoft and ABC need Apple around and they need their customers to think that they are an actual competitor. It's a marketing ploy, nothing more.
    Uhm, it was $150 million in stock, no where close to 30% of Apple's stock value, and 5 years of Office support, as part of a settlement to MS's theft of Quicktime IP. 

Microsoft eventually sold the stock at a nice gain.

Troll.

BTW,

Apple routinely makes 85% of the profits in the industry, so that's a lot of power that Apple is wielding with its 12-15% of a marketshare that is barely defined by "Android" for innumerable variations of the OS and user interface.
    edited October 2018 chiachristopher126StrangeDaysMuntzericthehalfbeeclaire1watto_cobramagman1979
  • Reply 42 of 134
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    bb-15 said:
    saltyzip said:
    I'm sure all that extra performance makes Facebook, WhatsApp and phone calls rock, not!

The value of speed in a smartphone includes; 1. Intensive games like Fortnite. 2. 4K video at high frame rates in which the latest iPhones lead the industry. 
    But that would only be useful if someone played intensive games and recorded 4K video at high frame rates.

I use neither.

How much space does hi res 4k video use on iPhones?

I ask because a national Spanish daily recommended not buying an entry level X last year due to the lack of capacity for hi res video use.
    4K 60P is 24 GB per hour, more or less; 30P would be half of that.

Anyone that was contemplating 4K video, would want to pay for either the 256GB or 512GB model. The same would apply for Android OS devices, although some don't actually support 60P.

Like the Kirin 980, which only offers 4K30.
    Like I said, I have no use for 4K. Not even 4K30. I rarely even record video.

I have three TVs, one of them is a Pioneer Kuro. None of them have HDMI 2.0.

Is 4K60 on a phone a compelling reason for me to upgrade?

So what? You don’t represent all users. It’s always best to record the highest possible quality as you end up with superior results, even if your final output is only 1080P (for example). It’s the same reason why it’s better to take pictures at the highest possible resolution as you can later crop/edit down to what you need.

Then there’s the future. Even before I had a 4K TV I shot everything in 4K. If I’m going to record family memories over the years I want them recorded the best way possible, so that years later I can view them in the best quality possible.

Not everyone will use 4K60. But it’s further proof of the superiority of Apple processors that they can crunch the data fast enough to record it.
    tmayradarthekatStrangeDaysclaire1williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 134
    MacPro said:

It shows the extraordinary effort Apple puts into every facet of the iPhone. From glass, software, chips, battery, cameras, antennas, etc., etc. 

I will never have a Google, MS, Samsung, Amazon, or Facebook device in my home or service on my devices! :)

You're in such a tiny minority, like one in a million.  The whole internet is Google's playground and Android OS overwhelmingly dominates.  Almost no one on the planet is concerned with personal privacy because almost everyone wants free services.  Paying for those free services with personal data is completely acceptable to billions of internet users.  Everyone believes Apple is missing out by not having eavesdropping/listening devices in every room.  I believe most consumers don't mind being spied upon.  It makes them feel important that someone is listening to their every word.
    'Android OS overwhelmingly dominates.'  .... Oh, I fell off my chair laughing.  Dominates in landfills, kids' basements and crackerjack toys maybe.
    Not to be too pointed, but you can use a search engine right? You do realize that Apple in 2018 only has between 12-15% of the market share in cell phones, right? Apple is good to keep around, but they are not an overall threat to the entire market, just like in computers. It is the illusion of competition to keep people buying things... There is a reason that Microsoft bailed Apple out when it almost went bankrupt by buying 30% of the stock. Microsoft and ABC need Apple around and they need their customers to think that they are an actual competitor. It's a marketing ploy, nothing more.
    Market share is so yesterday's hype. The real meat is installed user base. And in that area Apple is growing like Topsy. Why? Because unlike junk "smartphones", iPhones wear like iron and are supported for years. Their resale value puts Android to shame, but after two or three users, the price is affordable by practically anyone - and they still have a lot of life left and an ecosystem to back them up. Why do you think Apple Services is growing?

Oh, and that "bailout"? Apple gave Microsoft stock for that. Which they cashed out on way too early. Same with Xerox back in the 80's.

Still, keep your head buried up to your shoulders in the sand. Ignore that freight train sound bearing down on you. What you don't know can't hurt you, right? /s
    edited October 2018 radarthekatStrangeDaysRonnnieOclaire1watto_cobramagman1979
  • Reply 44 of 134
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    MacPro said:

As someone has already said, the stock purchase was a settlement for IP theft, all with the promise to keep Office on the Mac for five years (now expired). Far from being a bailout, the money Apple received for the stock purchase wouldn’t have been enough to keep the company afloat for three weeks. 
    chiatmaywatto_cobramagman1979Muntz
  • Reply 45 of 134
    tmay said:
    MacPro said:

Uhm, it was $150 million in stock, no where close to 30% of Apple's stock value, and 5 years of Office support, as part of a settlement to MS's theft of Quicktime IP. 

Troll.

BTW,

Apple routinely makes 85% of the profits in the industry, so that's a lot of power that Apple is wielding with its 12-15% of a marketshare that is barely defined by "Android" for innumerable variations of the OS and user interface.
    You're right, I shouldnt of said 30% of stock, that was mispoken. The deal was valued totally at $500 million and saved Apple from bankruptcy. 

Apple is no doubt gigantic with its market cap and profits. But it isn't controlling the market, in either race. As far as barely defined, not sure what metrics you are using there. The whole market is catered to ABC and Microsoft... 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 46 of 134
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,312member
    tmay said:
    MacPro said:

Troll.

BTW,

You're right, I shouldnt of said 30% of stock, that was mispoken. The deal was valued totally at $500 million and saved Apple from bankruptcy. 

Apple is no doubt gigantic with its market cap and profits. But it isn't controlling the market, in either race. As far as barely defined, not sure what metrics you are using there. The whole market is catered to ABC and Microsoft... 
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/business/longterm/microsoft/stories/1997/apple080797.htm?noredirect=on

"The $150 million investment will give Microsoft a 7 percent stake in Apple but no voting rights on the board of directors. Microsoft has promised not to sell the shares for at least three years".

You are, in fact, quite the lazy troll.

I have no idea what ABC is other than the network.

Apple does in fact routinely generate 85% of the profits in the smartphone industry.

https://www.investors.com/news/technology/click/apple-rakes-in-bulk-of-smartphone-profits-but-small-slice-of-unit-sales/

The lede'

"Apple Rakes In 87% Of Smartphone Profits, But 18% Of Unit Sales"

By "barely defined", I am speaking of the many variations of Android that are sold regionally, not worldwide, and of varying quality.
    edited October 2018 chiaStrangeDaysclaire1williamlondonwatto_cobramagman1979propod
  • Reply 47 of 134
    What's important about efficiency is saving battery life. All of these phones are already super-fast, but it's the quickest in-out actions (launching apps, etc.) that saves battery life for actually using apps.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 134
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,335member
    MacPro said:

Laughable.

The same search engine would tell you that Apple is slurping up nearly 90% of smartphone profits. Would you rather have the world's large pile of paperclips or the world's largest pile of cash? Cash matters, profits matter. If Microsoft is only allowing Apple to survive to preserve an illusion of competition, as you claim, how do you explain Apple absolutely crushing any hope of Microsoft ever succeeding in the smartphone market?

I do agree that Apple and Microsoft are no longer direct competitors, and haven't been since the iPhone transformed the entire computing industry worldwide. Personal computers from the PC-XT, to the Compaq 386, through generations of Pentiums, to the latest fully built out Core i9 gaming rigs moved workers away from typewriters, moved some gamers away from dedicated consoles, freed scientists and business analysts from waiting in queues for mainframe access, and allowed little Jimmy to send an electronic letter to grandma after he learned how to work around the claptrap inherent in Microsoft's software. All the while Microsoft went on to become enormously successful by slapping a $100 tax on every PC shipped with their operating system installed on it. PCs were all about humans adapting to follow the stringent requirements imposed by the PC and its operating system. It's sit-down, shut-up, and do what you're told if you want to be productive with the PC. The PC and its OS dictates the terms and conditions and users had no choice but to comply, using Microsoft's rules in the vast majority of cases. 

Then the iPhone happened.

The iPhone is the most personal computing device ever created and along with its iPad and Apple Watch siblings has forever changed how the collective mass of humanity interacts with computers, information, recorded knowledge, photography, music, personal communication, social media, news, weather, travel information, entertainment, personal health regimens, and just about every other aspect of modern life of billions of people worldwide. The iPhone flipped the script. The computer adapts to you. You want it in your pocket? There it is. You want it always connected to the world? There it is. You want to talk to it? It talks back. You want it to serve you information, news, music, entertainment, your favorite novels? No problem. Anywhere. Anytime. On your terms, not the terms dictated by a desk anchor and the wizard programming the anchor.  Calling PCs "personal" was like calling early automobile's horseless carriages. We thought PCs were personal, but we were so naive, shortsighted, and ignorant. The iPhone made that reality abundantly clear.   

So yeah, Apple vs Microsoft is a moot point. One company had the Old Way almost all to itself, had us all by the short hairs, dictated its own terms and conditions with little regard to what we really wanted, and imposed a universal tax on its partners and customers. And then they lost, big time, and got slogged down in a tarpit of their own creation. Apple on the other hand, stripped of the burden of playing a game of someone else's making, threw out the Old Way and reinvented the core of the computing universe around truly personal computing, putting a supercomputer in your pocket that reacted to your every need.  The iPhone is today as close to being a man-made appendage to the human form as any device ever created by man. The Old Way, the way dominated by PCs, is not even on the same plane of existence as the iPhone. At some point the iPhone too will appear crude in form, but the functional precedent that it established for personal computing will only be eclipsed when the sensory based man-machine interaction models can be replaced by a more direct integration with the intellectual and cognitive organ perched between our ears. 
    edited October 2018 tmayclaire1chiawilliamlondonmagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 134
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    foggyhill said:
    I still want to see a video that times opening, in sequence, all the “same” apps on each phone (twice) like we used to get every year. 
    Their not the "same", you have a huge dependency on how shitty the current release is, and if they're actually doing the same thing on startup.
    There is a hell of a lot of setup that's done on startup of an app and assuming it's the same between releases and OS's is not wise.
    For example, if on IOS/Android you could do a lot of things up front that you can't in Android (and vice versa), it would be penalized using this kind of things.

That's why you have to go for benchmarks where you actually know they're actually mostly doing the same small tasks and you have access to the source code.
    Worst self rationalization I have read in years. There are, of course, many differences between iOS and Android on what pre-setup and lazy initialization can be done to improve the user experience of using applications. 

Unfortunately for Google, Andrroid is about 5 years behind and is encumbered by an antiquated memory management scheme making it much more difficult to make many of the improvements Apple has been doing over the past half decade.

it makes these real world comparisons very important. I think it drove Apple to vastly streamline this after Android handsets with 6GB of RAM were able to best iPhones last year. 
    Muntzwatto_cobra
  • Reply 50 of 134
    Google is an AI technology company. The pixel is a more interesting phone because of its experimental features and AI integration. I am more interested in Google as a company than Apple, and that's my preference. iOS has been around for ages now and it's still pretty much the same. I've never found it to be as user friendly as windows and Android UI. Plus Apple's interest in progressing their AI doesn't seem incredibly pronounced. I haven't heard a lot of good feedback about Siri, and while Assistant is flawed it does work very well for my purposes.

The concern for user data privacy is strange to me. Folks don't want privacy, they want secrecy, anonymity. Apple does farm its user data, only "anonymously". Every time you buy a monster energy, a demon bird flies off to tell Coke, thereby harvesting your data anonymously. What's so scary about that?

Google seeks to provide a personalized user experience by tracking personal user data and using it to simplify the user interface. Searching personal archives of emails and photos is one of my favorite features. Searching information is what Google does all day every day. Machine learning and algorithms. A Google user typically wants access to as much information as they can get their hands on, as fast and conveniently as possible. Apple is still the oldschool tech model, hardware and software. I refuse to waste a moment of time with fortnite, but if that was my tea iPhone would be my cup.

To summarize, Apple is the Perfect Machine, while Google is the New Machine. Fear them both!
    inbruCHeswilliamlondon
  • Reply 51 of 134
    Blunt said:
    The Pixel 3 is pobably to busy sending data to Google.

If it runs on Android OS, then yes.  Android OS is built to harvest personal data for Google.  Guess what?  99 out of 100 consumers don't care.
    Stupid people don't care about climate change, doesn't mean there aren't people very worried about it.
    claire1magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 52 of 134
    MacPro said:

Oh look, we have a new worshipper at the Church of Market Share! Welcome, pilgrim. 

Yeah no. First off because most of the worldwide androids are various no-name forks, and generate no revenue for google. Second, because when it comes to business profit is king. Profit is the air corporations breathe. Market share is worthless if it doesn’t drive profit...and here Apple smokes MS and Google and even knockoff. iOS users spend more, which is why it’s develop for “iOS first, android maybe”.
    edited October 2018 Muntzclaire1chiawilliamlondonRayz2016magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 53 of 134
    jreock said:
    It smashes the Pixel 3 in every area except that it runs iOS.
    That’s a feature, not a bug.
    dsdclaire1chiawilliamlondonmagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 54 of 134
    I have used both iPhone & tier5 Android phone for past 3yrs. I'm on T-Mobile, speed is never apparent to me. My opinion is Apple has the best phone , even if the camera is debatable now. Android vannila is the best OS. The distance between iPhone and the 2nd best phone is much closer than distance between Android OS and ios. Real world tests for me is what I can do or can't do with the phones. 
    cropr
  • Reply 55 of 134
    I'm writing this on an original Google Pixel. I'm a big tech enthusiast, but have held on to this phone because it does everything I need. I can even play Fortnite... I'm a heavy user of email, WhatsApp, music, online banking, several games, web browsing, social media, etc. In addition, I use it for photography and am still amazed with the quality - often leaving my Nikon D7000 DSLR at home.

I'm upgrading to the Pixel 3 for a couple of reasons: wide-angle selfie camera, which allows for cool group pictures, front firing speakers which I love for watching YouTube, and overall slightly snappier experience. Oh and I really like wireless charging.

Would the iPhone be able to do all of that? Probably. (Except I don't think it has a wide-angle front lens) The reason I'm staying with Google is primarily because I'm bought into the ecosystem. YouTube Red, Google Play music, Google Pay, Gmail, etc. - I could probably get all of that working on an iPhone, but sounds like a huge pain in the a$$.

So while the iPhone may indeed beat the Pixel in performance test, I have yet to find something that I can't do due to lack of horsepower. And I love the pictures the Pixel takes, which is the primary reason for not going with any other Android phone.

PS: my wife loves the iPhone. And I'm the first to admit, it looks much better than the Pixel...
    morglegatorguywilliamlondonmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 56 of 134
    TechyEngTechyEng Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Guys here is a really good review by couple of famous techy geeky guys..
    williamlondon
  • Reply 57 of 134
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,400member
    dewme said:
    MacPro said:

Laughable.

The same search engine would tell you that Apple is slurping up nearly 90% of smartphone profits. Would you rather have the world's large pile of paperclips or the world's largest pile of cash? Cash matters, profits matter. If Microsoft is only allowing Apple to survive to preserve an illusion of competition, as you claim, how do you explain Apple absolutely crushing any hope of Microsoft ever succeeding in the smartphone market?

I do agree that Apple and Microsoft are no longer direct competitors, and haven't been since the iPhone transformed the entire computing industry worldwide. Personal computers from the PC-XT, to the Compaq 386, through generations of Pentiums, to the latest fully built out Core i9 gaming rigs moved workers away from typewriters, moved some gamers away from dedicated consoles, freed scientists and business analysts from waiting in queues for mainframe access, and allowed little Jimmy to send an electronic letter to grandma after he learned how to work around the claptrap inherent in Microsoft's software. All the while Microsoft went on to become enormously successful by slapping a $100 tax on every PC shipped with their operating system installed on it. PCs were all about humans adapting to follow the stringent requirements imposed by the PC and its operating system. It's sit-down, shut-up, and do what you're told if you want to be productive with the PC. The PC and its OS dictates the terms and conditions and users had no choice but to comply, using Microsoft's rules in the vast majority of cases. 

The PC is one of the most adaptable devices ever created.  It is personal since I can use it in whatever I need, from example, gaming, productivity, business, and many others tasks.  Yes, you have to learn and adapt to an OS, but the same can be said for iOS or any other modern OS. 

Then the iPhone happened.

The iPhone is the most personal computing device ever created and along with its iPad and Apple Watch siblings has forever changed how the collective mass of humanity interacts with computers, information, recorded knowledge, photography, music, personal communication, social media, news, weather, travel information, entertainment, personal health regimens, and just about every other aspect of modern life of billions of people worldwide. The iPhone flipped the script. The computer adapts to you. You want it in your pocket? There it is. You want it always connected to the world? There it is. You want to talk to it? It talks back. You want it to serve you information, news, music, entertainment, your favorite novels? No problem. Anywhere. Anytime. On your terms, not the terms dictated by a desk anchor and the wizard programming the anchor.  Calling PCs "personal" was like calling early automobile's horseless carriages. We thought PCs were personal, but we were so naive, shortsighted, and ignorant. The iPhone made that reality abundantly clear.   

The examples you have only show that the iPhone (and mobile devices before the iPhone) did was to put in the palm of your hand what PC's have done for years.  Both mobile devices as the iPhone and PC's, both are personal, one designed for the palm of your hand and the other designed for more complex tasks. 

So yeah, Apple vs Microsoft is a moot point. One company had the Old Way almost all to itself, had us all by the short hairs, dictated its own terms and conditions with little regard to what we really wanted, and imposed a universal tax on its partners and customers. And then they lost, big time, and got slogged down in a tarpit of their own creation. Apple on the other hand, stripped of the burden of playing a game of someone else's making, threw out the Old Way and reinvented the core of the computing universe around truly personal computing, putting a supercomputer in your pocket that reacted to your every need.  The iPhone is today as close to being a man-made appendage to the human form as any device ever created by man. The Old Way, the way dominated by PCs, is not even on the same plane of existence as the iPhone. At some point the iPhone too will appear crude in form, but the functional precedent that it established for personal computing will only be eclipsed when the sensory based man-machine interaction models can be replaced by a more direct integration with the intellectual and cognitive organ perched between our ears.
    First, Apple didn't threw the "old way", since they still sell Mac's, a device that it's considered a PC.  Second, what Apple did didn't replace the "old way".  It just gave users another device where they can access some of the information and do some tasks they did in their PCs.  So I cannot said that and iPhone is better than the "old way" or vice versa.  Both have advantages and disadvantages. 
    williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 58 of 134
    Wow, this article has generated a lot of brand-new 1 post accounts.
    claire1chiaStrangeDaysRayz2016magman1979watto_cobraMuntz
  • Reply 59 of 134
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    It was part of a massive lawsuit settlement because MS stole QuickTime code. Steve Jobs decided it was strategically time to settle because they were running out of cash quickly.
    magman1979watto_cobraMuntz
  • Reply 60 of 134
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    MacPro said:

Most stupid reply I've read today.

One-post-moron see yourself out>>>
    StrangeDaysmagman1979watto_cobraMuntz