iPhone XR repair pricing revealed, screen replacement is $199

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple has announced repair costs for the iPhone XR, with AppleCare+ fees remaining the same as other phones, but out of warranty fees commensurately lower in comparison to the retail price of the phone, and similar in price to screen repairs on the Galaxy S9 with Samsung parts.

A new repair documents was posted by Apple on Monday morning. Where an out-of-warranty or iPhone XR screen repair necessitated by accidental damage costs the user $199, other damage including the rear of the phone is set to $399.

For comparison, the iPhone XS screen repair bill is set to $279 for the iPhone XS and $329 for the iPhone XS Max. Other damage is $549 and $599 respectively. Repair pricing for all models of the iPhone 7 and iPhone 8 remain the same.

Repairs under AppleCare+ also remain the same, at $29 for a screen repair only, and $99 for other damage.

Repair pricing for the Samsung Galaxy S9 with Samsung parts sits at about $250, and hasn't notably decreased. Third-parties are replacing the screens for $150 or less. The Samsung Galaxy Note 9 screen repair is approximately $380, with no reliable range for third party repair pricing as of yet.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    By comparison, do you know if Samsung repairs are done while you wait like an Apple store or do you need to ship the phone to have repairs performed?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    By comparison, do you know if Samsung repairs are done while you wait like an Apple store or do you need to ship the phone to have repairs performed?
    it varies. Depot-level repair is available, but a while-you-wait with Samsung phones with Samsung parts is very difficult to find and generally limited to major metropolitan areas.
    airnerd
  • Reply 3 of 8
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    Ouch, $400 if you crack the glass back... you can buy a refurb iPhone 7 for that money. 
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    AI_lias said:
    Ouch, $400 if you crack the glass back... you can buy a refurb iPhone 7 for that money. 

Or you could buy a case for a whole lot less.
    hammeroftruthairnerd
  • Reply 5 of 8
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    AI_lias said:
    I cracked the back on my X, and have AppleCare, but for now I’ve covered it with a matte black Colorware skin and actually prefer it to the glass. Feels and looks like the back of the matte black 7 kinda. Nobody knows about the cracks underneath. :) I’ll wait til AC is almost, I damage it more, or decide to sell it before getting it fixed. 

I have started looking at thin cases for future reference, so far I haven’t tried one that didn’t have irritating ridges around the screen that makes it very difficult to navigate iOS via edge swipe gestures. I hate it. 
  • Reply 6 of 8
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    AI_lias said:
    I cracked the back on my X, and have AppleCare, but for now I’ve covered it with a matte black Colorware skin and actually prefer it to the glass. Feels and looks like the back of the matte black 7 kinda. Nobody knows about the cracks underneath. :) I’ll wait til AC is almost, I damage it more, or decide to sell it before getting it fixed. 

I have started looking at thin cases for future reference, so far I haven’t tried one that didn’t have irritating ridges around the screen that makes it very difficult to navigate iOS via edge swipe gestures. I hate it. 
    Yeah, my wife uses a case, but she took it out of the case to put it into one of those armband sleeves you run with. And it fell out of that sleeve during the process, and the back is cracked now. We'll wait for a while before we replace that one, at $350. She also chipped the camera lens, and I know that'll be at least $160 more. Seems to work OK as is. Guess this is the new reality of iPhone repairs. 
  • Reply 7 of 8
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    AI_lias said:
    AI_lias said:

Yeah, my wife uses a case, but she took it out of the case to put it into one of those armband sleeves you run with. And it fell out of that sleeve during the process, and the back is cracked now. We'll wait for a while before we replace that one, at $350. She also chipped the camera lens, and I know that'll be at least $160 more. Seems to work OK as is. Guess this is the new reality of iPhone repairs. 
    My camera glass is cracked as well, that was my first injury. Luckily the cracks went around the lens so the camera is unaffected. Check out the Colorware skins, you can’t tell it’s cracked and I actually like it better this way. The one I got literally just covers the back glass and leaves the steel exposed. Pretty cheap too. 

edited October 2018 AI_lias