Hands on with the 40mm women's Hermes Apple Watch Series 4

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Pink is for girls, blue is for boys  :D 
    I've had the Watch (not the Hermes edition) since it first came out. I have, at this point, 8 or 9 Sports bands of various colors, which I often mix and match, just for fun. Pink is among those colors.

I think your post is a silly throwback. It's 2018 -- wear the color you like, and move on.
    I was being sarcastic. 
    Yes, I picked up on the dry humor and appreciated it.  Some are a bit sensitive on the trigger.  Oh, can we say, "trigger" anymore?
    There are some really complex and non-obvious norms to follow if someone is trying to be sarcastic in a forum like this. 

/sarcasm
    18K posts here and still can’t pick up on the obvious.   Just own it and move on.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 31
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    kkqd1337 said:
    For me these Hermes watches don’t offer enough differentiation, style, or substance to justify the price. Very underwhelming.
    The power of brand.
  • Reply 23 of 31
    I saw in the comments section of a story on the new Hermès watch on a different site someone complained that the double-loop band option (Double Tour) only comes in one size, 140-160 mm, which apparently only fits small women with petite wrists. That person said she returned her watch since no Double Tour band is available in the "average" adult women's wrist size ... 7.5 inches ... 190.5 mm. 

I guess Hermès and Apple only want that particular band worn by small women, huh?

• Reply 24 of 31
    simply258 said:
    You can save a few hundred $ by buying a non-Hermes watch and separately a Hermes band, but you won't get the Hermes watch faces.
    No one has managed to hack the files to make the Nike and Hermès watch faces available on all the Apple Watch models? Amazing. 
  • Reply 25 of 31
    cgWerks said:
    bikertwin said:
    Nowhere in Apple’s marketing is this referred to as a “Women’s Watch”, not for Hermès and not for any Apple Watch. Likewise for the larger watch being the “Men’s Watch”.

If more women buy it, great, good for them. More men buy the larger watch? Great.

Buying a Chevy Suburban used to be a guy thing; now I see lots of moms buying them. Is a Chevy Suburban a “Men’s Car” or a “Men’s Model”? Of course not. How ridiculous is that?! Think of the sales they would lose if they called it a men’s model.
    To be fair, there are - in general - different sizes to men's and women's wrists and hand sizes, so one size watch might be more appropriate to a higher percentage of men than women, or vice versa.

And - in general  –  men are taller and stronger and bought trucks and large SUVs; but now more women & moms are buying them. Don’t brand your product “for men” or “for women” and guess what—you get more sales!

And, brands absolutely do create products and market to certain demographics, even men vs women, however (rather recently) culturally inappropriate it might be.
    That was exactly my point. Trucks, SUVs, even electric vehicles like Teslas are designed & marketed mainly to men. Just not exclusively, by including “mens’ model” in their names.

If neither Apple nor Hermès market their products using gender terms, why is the reviewer adding it, especially in the title of the article? How do Apple & Hermès differentiate the models? Just use their terminology, such as size, and keep it at that.
    cgWerks
  • Reply 26 of 31
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    I was a little disappointed to see 'women's' in the title, when it could have easily read:

Hands on with the 40mm Hermès Apple Watch Series 4

and been just as accurate (though I only looked at the pictures).

The truth of the matter is that gender bias, deliberate or unintended, will exist long after everyone here is moved to a dirt condo. As with every other bad trait of humanity, there is no 'cleansing' that can be done. Gender bias can and will be reduced, but never close to being eliminated. Lines will blur somewhat as those who like to pejoratively observe 'soccer moms' driving SUVs instead of minivans, and women wearing 'men's' watches, etc. I remember a time when a robust American Male wouldn't be caught dead wearing a mauve shirt, knowing what mauve was, and certainly not admitting to either. It's not as bad today as back then, but there are still many 'masculine' and 'feminine' boundaries that some dare not cross. So faux pas like this one will occur in the most well meaning situations. I just consider intent before getting upset.

Fashion is and will always be a tightrope of opinion, especially at the 'more fashionable' end of the spectrum. I like the look of the Hermès line. It reminds me of the pop art look of the '60s. But I don't like it enough to buy or wear it.

I would buy their watch faces if the Apple store sold them, or more accurately, similar, non-branded Watch faces. That's one reason my next Watch will be a Nike+, to get additional faces.

There's absolutely no doubt Apple has plans for Watch faces. I just have no clue what they are. But there's no way they haven't kicked around the idea of third-party faces, even if it was to say 'no f'ing way!'
  • Reply 27 of 31
    Japhey said:
    Setting aside the debate on social color programming for a second, I’d like to know the purpose of this article. It added absolutely nothing to the previous one of the 44mm version. Couldn’t you have just provided a link to that with a simple line saying “it’s exactly the same, only smaller”? 

Also, PLEASE learn how to pronounce “Hermès”. It’s like nails on a chalkboard to those who like the brand.
    For the love of God, please please tell us your interpretation of the correct French pronunciation of Hermès! Humanity's future lies in the balance!

A link to an audible pronunciation, and not just a dictionary version with diacritical symbols.

This is how I've said it, though full disclosure, I don't speak French. I can't rest until I know 'the proper' pronunciation. 

Another disclosure — I don't use this pronounciation when reading Greek mythology. Because, well— it's Greek.

Your turn.
  • Reply 28 of 31
    And

• Reply 29 of 31
    sully54sully54 Posts: 108member
    macgui said:
    And

I’ve seen this video before. He butchers some of the names in his list. 
  • Reply 30 of 31
    christophb said:

Just own it and move on.
    Funny, I was thinking the same... about you...
  • Reply 31 of 31
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    bikertwin said:
    And - in general  –  men are taller and stronger and bought trucks and large SUVs; but now more women & moms are buying them. Don’t brand your product “for men” or “for women” and guess what—you get more sales!
    That was exactly my point. Trucks, SUVs, even electric vehicles like Teslas are designed & marketed mainly to men. Just not exclusively, by including “mens’ model” in their names.

If neither Apple nor Hermès market their products using gender terms, why is the reviewer adding it, especially in the title of the article? How do Apple & Hermès differentiate the models? Just use their terminology, such as size, and keep it at that.
    Agree.
    I'd probably buy the smaller watch, personally, though I haven't really looked in person yet. But, I just like more minimal and thin watches (when I used to wear them).