Apple opens Beats 1 studio in New York City

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited October 2018
Apple recently opened the doors to a New York studio for its Beats 1 streaming radio station, a satellite location that joins studios already in operation in Los Angeles and London.

Apple's streaming arm takes residence in a space in Manhattan's Union Square, where Beats 1 hosts and popular artists can stop in to record a session or broadcast to Apple Music's broad worldwide audience, reports Fast Company.

"This is a huge moment," said Beats 1 DJ Zane Lowe. "We are fully functioning in one of the greatest cities in the world now."

An opening party held at the new NYC studio saw the likes of Busta Rhymes, French Montana, Swizz Beatz, Joyner Lucas, Diana Gordon, Abir, Teyana Taylor, Nina Sky and others mix with Beats 1 personalities. When, exactly, the gathering took place was left unreported.

"I want this space to represent the sound and energy of New York, and how multicultural this city is," said Beats 1 DJ Ebro Darden and host of New York-based show "Ebro in the Morning."

Beats 1 was previously expected to open a small broadcasting space in the renovated Apple Fifth Avenue store, though plans for a full-fledged studio were apparently scrubbed. The store might still boast a "broadcasting zone," where Apple can host high-profile guests.

Led by Lowe, Beats 1 has been an Apple Music mainstay since the service launched in 2015. An always-on station created specifically to serve new digital frontiers, Apple's radio station not only plays host to industry tastemakers, but features a who's who lineup of celebrities with their own shows.

From one-time specials to weekly series, Beats 1 boasts content from music icons Elton John, Drake The Weeknd, Nicki Minaj, Lars Ulrich and more.

Most recently, reports suggest former BBC presenter Charlie Sloth is headed to Beats 1 after helming a high-profile show called "The 8th."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Shouldn’t that be an iMac mounted on that arm?
    bdkennedy1002watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Does anyone actually listen to Beats radio? Not everyone is into rap and hip-hop.
    bdkennedy1002gumashowdavgregYvLy
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Ugh.
    davgreg
  • Reply 4 of 12
    I didn’t know Beats 1 existed...

I assume it’s not actually on the radio.  When anyone starts talking I switch stations to one playing music.  Stations could replace their hosts/DJ with Siri announcing songs and I wouldn’t notice.

I do listen to local sports radio...

watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Hmm... I always thought Ebro broadcasted from New York..  :#

I haven’t listened to Beat 1 much, not because I don’t like to but because there’re just so much to listen to. But many times I come back to listen to it I always enjoy it. 
    JWSC
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Apple ExposedApple Exposed Posts: 15unconfirmed, member
    Beats 1 is awesome and I wonder how shows hosted at an Apple Store would fare? You get major publicity but a few annoyed customers who just want their iPhone fixed. Yes I know the article isn't about the Apple Store station but the idea and is still floating and it's interesting.

rogifan_new
    said:
    Does anyone actually listen to Beats radio? Not everyone is into rap and hip-hop.
    Nope. no one listens. Apple is pumping millions into Beats 1and the DJs are talking to the wind in hopes they get a listener someday.... /s
    edited October 2018 JWSClolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Beats 1 is awesome and I wonder how shows hosted at an Apple Store would fare? You get major publicity but a few annoyed customers who just want their iPhone fixed. Yes I know the article isn't about the Apple Store station but the idea and is still floating and it's interesting.

rogifan_new
    said:
    Nope. no one listens. Apple is pumping millions into Beats 1and the DJs are talking to the wind in hopes they get a listener someday.... /s
    Remember the Virgin Records stores? They used to do live radio shows in their stores and they had bands play live as well.
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Shouldn’t that be an iMac mounted on that arm?
    Dunno. Should it? 

Maybe they're computers using software that doesn't run on Macs.

Maybe they're monitors wired to the iMac to the right of the picture.

And someone's left a set of Beats headphones balanced on the edge of the desk.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 12
    You can listen to the pop shows. The music app has the timings for those.
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 12
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
      When anyone starts talking I switch stations to one playing music.  

Well, since Beats is all (c)rap all the time, you need not bother. Rap is not music.

Apple has yet to release numbers for the pretend radio station attached to the failing streaming service. Yes, I said failing when you cannot convert even 10% of iTunes accounts to rental rap.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member

I love the Apple Music subscription service.  Endless songs to choose from and endless playlist possibilities.

But like some others here, I find Beats 1 less and less interesting every day.  The rap/hip hop focus of most of their radio programming is overwhelming.  And it’s a BIG TURN OFF!!!

Hey Apple, it wouldn’t be a terrible thing to promote a little more DIVERSITY in DJs would it?!!

watto_cobragrynmacha
  • Reply 12 of 12
    i love Apple Music as well and I just thought that I'm not the target audience of Beats 1 that's why it didn't click to me.