It took Apple four days to sell initial iPhone XR supply

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2018
Apple late Monday sold out of launch day iPhone XR supply in the U.S. and beyond, with orders placed through the company's online storefront now showing estimated delivery dates pushed out to November.

iPhone XR

The online Apple store is showing stockouts of all colors and capacities in Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, Russia, the UK, the U.S. and many other countries where the device was made available for preorder last Friday.

Currently, Apple's storefront displays an estimated delivery date of Nov. 1 or "1 to 2 weeks," depending on the region. Initial shipments are scheduled to arrive at customer doorsteps and in Apple retail stores on Oct. 26.

The stockout arrives a few hours shy of four full days of iPhone XR preorder availability. Supply of the handset remained steady through the weekend -- yellow 128GB units on T-Mobile in the U.S. sold out in less than an hour -- but certain models began to pop up as unavailable as stock dwindled on Monday.

As usual, the number of units Apple managed to manufacture in the buildup to launch is unknown, though some analysts put the figure at around 12 million.

Though the XR launched to seemingly softer demand than its XS series stablemates, some analysts believe the colorful, less-expensive smartphone will ultimately prove vital to Apple's bottom line. Gene Munster of Loup Ventures, for example, expects iPhone XR to be the bestselling iPhone of 2018 with a 38 percent share of shipments. Others, like noted analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, predict better replacement demand than last year's iPhone 8 and better long-term momentum than iPhone XS.

While Apple sold through its iPhone XR stock, customers in the U.S. can still grab a launch day unit through partner carriers including AT&T and Verizon, both of which are still showing availability as of this writing.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    The iPhone XRated
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 39
    This phone will always be known as a 2018 Apple device that doesnt have even a full HD (1080p) screen.

Apple being Apple and saving money anyway they can to keep their shareholders happy. Scamming consumers who dont know better. I thought it was all about the screen, so why not even provide a 1080p screen on a 2018 device that starts from £749 disgraceful!

edited October 2018
  • Reply 3 of 39
    saltyzip said:
    This phone will always be known as a 2018 Apple device that doesnt have even a full HD (1080p) screen.

Apple being Apple and saving money anyway they can to keep their shareholders happy. Scamming consumers who dont know better. I thought it was all about the screen, so why not even provide a 1080p screen on a 2018 device that starts from £749 disgraceful!

No, it doesn’t have a full 1080p screen. It has a 4K screen win 1080p video recording.
  • Reply 4 of 39
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Gene Munster of Loup Ventures, for example, expects iPhone XR to be the bestselling iPhone of 2018 
    So Apple is going to sell more XR units in 2 months than 9 months worth of X sales?
  • Reply 5 of 39
    bdkennedy1002 said:
    No, it doesn’t have a full 1080p screen. It has a 4K screen win 1080p video recording.
    I suggest you look up the specs for iPhone XR:
    6.1-inch LCD Retina Display; 1,792x828 pixels
    326 ppi

Your response is typical of an apple user who isn't educated on these things. Thinking it's a 4k screen just because the camera can record in 4k.

Apple not providing a quick charger in the box is another scam to make more money. Not using usb c is another scam to make more money on cable licensing it just goes on and on.
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 6 of 39
    saltyzip said:

Go away. 
    trashman69fastasleepericthehalfbeechabigApple Exposednetmagewlymwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 39
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,668member
    saltyzip said:

Go away. 
    Why? They are valid points.

This is a late 2018 phone. In reality it's a 2019 flagship phone with a flagship price. It is lacking in areas where you wouldn't really expect it to.

For me, the lack of a fast charger and headphone adapter (I think that is missing too) in the box is very disappointing.
    airnerdApple Exposed
  • Reply 8 of 39
    saltyzip said:

This guy is so goddamned irritating; accidentally watched part of one of these the other day and regretted every second. Partially because I knew he'd be enabling more concern trolls like yourself with these stupid videos.

Who gives a fuck about 1080p on a phone? Since when is that the baseline? It's not a TV. You'd have to hold the screen up to your eyeball to see the difference. The vast majority of the many millions of people who will buy this phone will not notice or care and will love this iPhone. 

StrangeDayschabiglarryaApple Exposednetmagebb-15wlymwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 9 of 39
    I stopped watching about 30 seconds in when he demonstrated ignorance between the concepts of "screen resolution" and "pixel density".
    radarthekatApple Exposednetmagewlymwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 10 of 39
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    saltyzip said:
    bdkennedy1002 said:
    326 ppi

Your response is typical of an apple user who isn't educated on these things. Thinking it's a 4k screen just because the camera can record in 4k.

Apple not providing a quick charger in the box is another scam to make more money. Not using usb c is another scam to make more money on cable licensing it just goes on and on.
    I suggest you look up the definition of the word Scam:

scam
    /skam/
    noun
    INFORMAL
    1. 1. 
      a dishonest scheme; a fraud.
      "an insurance scam"
      synonyms:fraud, swindle, fraudulent scheme, racket, trick; More
    verb
    1. 1. 
      swindle.
      "a guy that scams the elderly out of their savings"
      synonyms:swindle, cheat, deceive, trick, dupe, hoodwink, double-cross, gull; More
    fruitstandninjaApple Exposednetmagedsdwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 11 of 39

hentaiboy said:
    Gene Munster of Loup Ventures, for example, expects iPhone XR to be the bestselling iPhone of 2018 
    So Apple is going to sell more XR units in 2 months than 9 months worth of X sales?
    It’s pretty obvious what he meant is it will be the most popular among the three models introduced in 2018.  Even if he didn’t articulate it properly. 
    edited October 2018 bb-15watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 39
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    saltyzip said:
    bdkennedy1002 said:
    326 ppi

You’re funny. 

It’s a cheaper version of the flagship models with an appropriately reduced feature set. 

The word “scam” means to sell something under false pretense. 

It does not mean selling something that doesn’t fit your personal purchase criteria. 
    StrangeDaysnetmagerhinotuffbb-15anantksundaramfastasleepwlymwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 39
    avon b7 said:
    saltyzip said:

Go away. 

This is a late 2018 phone. In reality it's a 2019 flagship phone with a flagship price. It is lacking in areas where you wouldn't really expect it to.

For me, the lack of a fast charger and headphone adapter (I think that is missing too) in the box is very disappointing.
    I fail to see how an LCD display that’s been generally recognized as the best at color reproduction, with very good brightness scores and with pixels too small for the human eye to individually discern (same 326ppi as has been standard in the non-plus models since iPhone 4) is suddenly disappointing.  Has the user community been railing about Apple downsampling HD video all these years? Seems like that’s among the few issues the naysayers have never much made noise about.  And maybe that’s because... nobody would have noticed the difference had Apl,e been packing more pixels into displays all along, except for the difference it would have made in time between charges of the battery.  I’m thinking Apple made a fair compromise on that score. 
    sphericairnerdApple Exposednetmagebb-15fastasleepwlymwatto_cobraSpamSandwich
  • Reply 14 of 39
    saltyzip said:

The XR has the same pixel density as my iPhone SE. The SE has a gorgeous screen that looks better than any of my 1080p OLED screens. 
    airnerdApple Exposednetmagebb-15watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 39
    saltyzip said:
    bdkennedy1002 said:
    326 ppi

Then just buy an Android.

I can't see the difference from a 1080p screen, and the Xr screen. 

So I'm just going to buy that because it's cheaper, and the processor can run circles around any android phone.

And the amazing battery life of course.....
    airnerdApple Exposednetmagecrossladbb-15wlymwatto_cobraSpamSandwich
  • Reply 16 of 39
    95% of "ordinary people" have no idea what 1080p is, USB-C and many more. The only thing that interests them is the size of the screen and the camera. Apple knows it and the other companies too. Wake up! People don't know a thing about technology as we are, it's the reality. iPhone XR is a very good phone for the needs of just about everyone. That's all. No drama.
    Cesar Battistini Mazierofastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 39
    saltyzip said:

Welcome the the block list, troll.
    StrangeDaysApple Exposednetmagekruegdudewlymwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 39
    avon b7 said:
    saltyzip said:

Go away. 

“Apple being Apple and saving money”

”Scamming consumers”

”disgraceful”

...yeah, ‘valid points’, if you’re a troll with an agenda. 

Love how you’re “disappointed” by the lack of an unneeded adapter for a device you would never actually purchase in a million years. What bullshit. 
    edited October 2018 ericthehalfbeetmayApple Exposednetmagebb-15fastasleepwlymwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 39
    saltyzip said:
    bdkennedy1002 said:
    326 ppi

You literally do not know the definition of a scam.  This is a product advertised by a company that lists all features. If you don’t like it you don’t buy it. There is no scam you ignorant troll. 
    ericthehalfbeeApple ExposednetmageStrangeDaysgilly33bb-15fastasleepwlymwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 39
    hentaiboy said:

hentaiboy said:
    It’s pretty obvious what he meant is it will be the most popular among the three models introduced in 2018.  Even if he didn’t articulate it properly. 
    I didn't see Munster's original remarks, but the author of this piece didn't represent the linked article very well at all.  The statement from the linked article is: "In spite of the this early data, Munster argues that the XR will become the bestselling iPhone in the next year, representing 38 percent of shipments in Apple's fiscal 2019."