Early iPhone XR reviews praise performance & battery life

Posted:
in iPhone
Some of the first iPhone XR reviews are emerging ahead of the product's official launch on Friday, pointing out some limits for Apple's device, but maintaining an overall positive tone.

Apple iPhone XR

There is "no difference" in the power or performance of the iPhone XR versus the iPhone XS, Pocket Lint noted. Both phones use an A12 Bionic processor, but the XR technically has 3 gigabytes of RAM versus the 4 in the XS and XS Max.

"Battery is where the iPhone XR really shines," CNET commented, writing that it was able to run the XR on a single charge for a full day, despite tasks like games, videos, music, and reading. "It looks like a smart choice for anyone who's been waiting for some extra battery kick without needing to bring a battery pack," the site said.

One of the earliest battery benchmarks comes from Tom's Guide, which found the phone able to last 11 hours and 26 minutes during continuous Web browsing at 150 nits of brightness. That's equal to Samsung's Galaxy Note 9, but better than the 10 hours and 38 minutes of the XS Max, and the 9 hours and 41 minutes of the standard XS.

The lower-resolution LCD display on the XR is "fine," according to The Verge. "Anyone coming to this phone from any iPhone save the iPhone X will not notice a huge discrepancy in resolution."

TechCrunch observed that people who put the XR side-by-side with an XS will see the deeper colors and blacks made possible by the latter's OLED panel.

On the XR's camera, Wired indicated that while it's largely on par with the XS, Apple has implemented some restrictions to Portrait mode for a single-lens camera. Trying to use the mode with anything but a person will trigger a "no person detected" message, and the phone only has access to three Portrait Lighting options, two less than the XS. The XS and XS Max have dual-lens cameras that enable more depth data, as well as 2x optical zoom.

Another gap between the devices is 3D Touch, which is absent on the XR. iMore noted that Apple has a functional replacement, but it only works with the Flashlight and Camera lockscreen icons, the Control Center, and the keyboard when long-pressing the spacebar to invoke the trackpad.

"Everything else, from Live Photos on the Lock screen to shortcuts on the Home screen to peek and pop... are simply not there. Like you might as well be using an iPhone 6 or iPhone SE or, yeah, iPad, not there," the site wrote.

Initial preorders of the iPhone XR have sold out, but Apple stores and third-party retailers should still have at least limited stock on Friday.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 58
    Phone looks great, but saddened that they didn't put the optical zoom on it. It's being sold for $749, so it's the cheap version now, even though it's priced higher than the highest end iPhone 2 years ago, 3 years ago, etc. which all had optical zoom.
    williamlondoncornchip
  • Reply 2 of 58
    The Engadget review said the display is good but it would have been nice if it was 1080p. Is there a technical reason it’s not or did Apple just decide 1080p wasn’t necessary? Honestly for me after having an OLED display with the deep blacks I could never go back to an LCD. I wish my iPad Pro could be OLED but I know that’s a pipe dream.
    cornchip
  • Reply 3 of 58
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    The XR is the same PPI as my 6S, so I'm sure I won't miss 1080p on a cell phone.  I welcome the increased real estate--the screen is overall larger than the 6S while maintaining its PPI. 

Losing 3D Touch may burn a little, I've gotten used to that feature. 
    edited October 2018 chiagilly33magman1979airnerdwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 58
    This will be the best selling phone in history beating the IPhone 6 & 6 Plus(230 Million) & Nokia 1100(250Million).
    gordymagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 58
    It’s 1080p for VIDEO. Photos are 4k
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 58
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    The Engadget review said the display is good but it would have been nice if it was 1080p. Is there a technical reason it’s not or did Apple just decide 1080p wasn’t necessary? Honestly for me after having an OLED display with the deep blacks I could never go back to an LCD. I wish my iPad Pro could be OLED but I know that’s a pipe dream.
    Come on. You know the technical reasons why Apple uses the same PPI or easily scalable PPI on their non-windowed, app-focused devices.

You should be asking why anyone in the last decade still thinks that 1080p—no more, no less—on a smartphone has any relevance.
    curtis hannahgilly33magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 58
    This will be the best selling phone in history beating the IPhone 6 & 6 Plus(230 Million) & Nokia 1100(250Million).
    I think you'll be proven correct.
    racerhomie3magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 58
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    Phone looks great, but saddened that they didn't put the optical zoom on it. It's being sold for $749, so it's the cheap version now, even though it's priced higher than the highest end iPhone 2 years ago, 3 years ago, etc. which all had optical zoom.
    No, the iPhone 7 Plus was introduced in 2016 at prices of $769 and up. The priciest 7 was $849. The iPhone 8 Plus started at $799 and the 256GB 8 was $849. https://9to5mac.com/2016/09/07/apple-announces-iphone-7-pricing-availability-pre-orders-start-sept-9-available-sept-16/
    king editor the gratetht
  • Reply 9 of 58
    Soli said:
    Come on. You know the technical reasons why Apple uses the same PPI or easily scalable PPI on their non-windowed, app-focused devices.

You should be asking why anyone in the last decade still thinks that 1080p—no more, no less—on a smartphone has any relevance.
    So you’re calling the Engadget reviewer an idiot?
    guscat
  • Reply 10 of 58
    linkman said:
    No, the iPhone 7 Plus was introduced in 2016 at prices of $769 and up. The priciest 7 was $849. The iPhone 8 Plus started at $799 and the 256GB 8 was $849. https://9to5mac.com/2016/09/07/apple-announces-iphone-7-pricing-availability-pre-orders-start-sept-9-available-sept-16/
    The iPhone XR is the same price as the iPhone 6S+ was at launch, that’s the fact. I still don’t understand the reason they raised the 7+ and 8+ prices compared to the 6S+ when they planned to release the X anyways, I sort of think that’s one factor the X was the best selling last year.
  • Reply 11 of 58
    Soli said:

So you’re calling the Engadget reviewer an idiot?
    Nah. I wouldn't call the reviewer an idiot, but If they think that it would be better for Apple to make all their iPhones 1080p without any regard for developers or users then I'd say they said something really fucking ignorant. I think there's a greater possibility of simply trying to find some fault to pander to an audience that mostly only understands technology from the PoV of a superficial spec sheet.
    edited October 2018 racerhomie3magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 58
    If I still had my iPhone 7 I’d upgrade to the XR probably without hestitation. The whole talk about resolution and the XR not being 1080p is pointless—it’s nothing more than a semi-legitimate sounding complaint against Apple delivered simply for the sake of complaining about Apple. The most outstanding aspects of my XS display are the colour and blacks. The higher resolution is only an extremely small benefit.
    Solichiamagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 58
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Optical Zoom requires 2 camera's. It's really only a 2x optical Zoom as there's only 2 camera's and 2 fixed lenses. You drop 1 camera and now the 2x optical zoom is gone. You still have Digital Zoom, though it's not really recommended to use as you lose detail and start to see pixels the more you zoom in that way. Better to physically walk forward or back to get the shot you want, so long as you don't do something dumb like walk off a cliff.
    Soliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 58

Another gap between the devices is 3D Touch, which is absent on the XR. iMore noted that Apple has a functional replacement....
    3D Touch is the most overrated iOS feature. I wouldn't be surprised if it disappeared altogether, one of these days.
  • Reply 15 of 58
    Soli said:
    Do you both think that iPhone Xr alone will sell more than 230 million units in 1 year, despite being launched along with Xs and Xs Max? And Apple is continuing to sell old iPhones (7/7 Plus/8/8 Plus) apart from the 3 newly launched phones for this year. All 3 combined (Xs, Xs Max and Xr) selling 230 million itself is going to be a difficult target to pull off, with FLAT unit sales overall (including older models in the lineup) in the past 3 years. 230 million for Xr alone - I would say near impossible.
    avon b7cornchip
  • Reply 16 of 58
    Soli said:
    Do you both think that iPhone Xr alone will sell more than 230 million units in 1 year, despite being launched along with Xs and Xs Max? And Apple is continuing to sell old iPhones (7/7 Plus/8/8 Plus) apart from the 3 newly launched phones for this year. All 3 combined (Xs, Xs Max and Xr) selling 230 million itself is going to be a difficult target to pull off, with FLAT unit sales overall (including older models in the lineup) in the past 3 years. 230 million for Xr alone - I would say near impossible.
    The 6 is still being made & sold for developing nations. So that 230 Mill is increasing. I think the Xr will achieve 250 Million in its lifespan of 4-8 years of manufacturing. It will also gain good market share in Southeast Asia.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 58
    Soli said:
    The 6 is still being made & sold for developing nations. So that 230 Mill is increasing. I think the Xr will achieve 250 Million in its lifespan of 4-8 years of manufacturing. It will also gain good market share in Southeast Asia.
    When 6 & 6 Plus were launched back in 2014, there were only 2 older models 5s & 5c being sold along with 6 & 6 Plus. And majority of that 230 million sales were made in first year itself. That is NOT the case anymore. Xr is competing with 6 other options (7, 7 Plus, 8, 8 Plus, Xs and Xs Max) for sales. If you include the 6/6s/6s Plus/SE which are being available in developing countries, Xr is going to compete with 10 other options in its lifespan. Hard to imagine it beating the 6/6 Plus record when the overall iPhone sales trend is FLAT for last 3 years. If there is double digit percentage growth in units sold for next 3 years, it is possible. But for that scenario to play out in reality is very slim.
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 18 of 58
    Purely a profit booster for Apple, however it will improve battery life too, less pixels, less power required.
  • Reply 19 of 58
    georgie01 said:
    If I still had my iPhone 7 I’d upgrade to the XR probably without hestitation. The whole talk about resolution and the XR not being 1080p is pointless—it’s nothing more than a semi-legitimate sounding complaint against Apple delivered simply for the sake of complaining about Apple. The most outstanding aspects of my XS display are the colour and blacks. The higher resolution is only an extremely small benefit.
    Would you buy a TV that wasn't at least full hd in 2018? Of course you wouldn't, so why buy a phone at £750 that wasn't either? Why compromise with downscaled videos etc. ?
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 20 of 58
    saltyzip said:
    Would you buy a TV that wasn't at least full hd in 2018? Of course you wouldn't, so why buy a phone at £750 that wasn't either? Why compromise with downscaled videos etc. ?
    As I remember, “retina” means that the resolution is fine enough so that a healthy human eye cannot see the pixels - no matter how close you move your face to the screen. 
    Meaning that as long as the pixel density is at least as high as the iPhone 4, you won’t be able to tell whether it’s 720, 1080, 4K or whatever. 
    Obviously, what you are sacrificing is the contrast ratio of an OLED screen. 
    gilly33cornchipwatto_cobra