These are the top features of the Nike+ Apple Watch Series 4

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited February 2020
The Nike+ variant of the Apple Watch Series 4 is packed with amazing technology and features. AppleInsider digs into this special edition model and picks out our top features.

Like in years past, the Nike+ Apple Watch Series 4 is only available in aluminum, clearly with the athlete in mind. There are also both cellular, and GPS + Wi-Fi models in 40mm and 44mm sizes. All of our favorite features apply to all versions of this sporty wearable.

Exclusive bands

First on our list, are the exclusive bands. Bundled with each Nike+ Apple Watch is either a Nike+ Sports Band or Sports Loop. There are three color combos of the Nike+ Sports Band -- black/black, black/white, black/volt -- all of which are available by a la carte.

New this year, is the Nike+ Sports Loop with a reflective yarn woven throughout.

This is great for early morning and late night runners who are out in low light situations. It looks quite striking and can help you stand out, though it isn't a replacement for proper reflective clothing.

Exclusive watch faces

There are two great Nike+ watch faces as well exclusive to this version of the Apple Watch. Both an analog and a digital option are available, though the analog does support one additional complication over the digital.

There are many configurable options for these faces including typeface, size, colors, and more. Our favorite was the full-screen analog face but it is a bummer that it doesn't support any complications in this state.

Nike complication

On those exclusive watch faces, is a non-removable Nike+ complication. On the digital face, it takes up residency at the top of the left column, a spot that could have gone to another complication. On the analog face, it sits just below the center, keeping the top two corners and bottom available for other complications.

These complications are essentially shortcuts to the Nike+ Run Club app. If you're a frequent runner, it is a nice convenience to have. Of course, if you use other watch faces you can just use one of your existing complication spots for the same.

Ceramic back

Durability is key when using the Apple Watch for sports and workouts. That is why we love that the new Apple Watch adopts a more durable ceramic back with a sapphire crystal heart rate monitor cover.

On the Series 3, high-end models such as the stainless steel would adopt sapphire crystal where the aluminum and Nike+ models had a more susceptible composite.

Additionally, the ceramic back allows for better signal pass-through which should improve cellular and Wi-Fi reception. If you are out on a run and streaming Apple Music, you don't want that to cut out, and with better cellular performance, it won't.

Display

The new display had to be on our list. There has been debate on how much of a difference it makes, but to us, it is huge. Especially when you go back to looking at a smaller Series 3, which in comparison feels utterly cramped.

Now the display goes nearly edge to edge, while almost unnoticeably increasing the dimensions of the case.

For those using the Nike+ Apple Watch when running, a practical application is while out for a session. Especially with watchOS 5 and the new running workout metrics, we always keep an eye on our watch to gauge our performance. It is easier than ever with a larger display so we can quickly see our time, distance, and pace.

Series 4 upgrades

Lastly, lumped all together, are the other year-over-year improvements that are common throughout all the new models -- like the display and back are.

These make a huge difference in usability, even if they are small when taken one by one. This includes the faster processor, upgraded accelerometer and gyroscope, louder and clearer speaker, relocated microphone, and slightly thinner body.

Where to buy

Debating whether to purchase the Nike+ version of the Apple Watch Series 4? Let AppleInsider help you decide which model is right for you.

Nike is currently accepting orders for several of the Nike+ Series 4 devices, with free delivery in an estimated two to four business days. Abt.com also has a number of the watches in stock, with the remaining backordered two to four weeks.

For the latest deals and product availability, be sure to check out our Apple Watch Price Guide.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    I really dislike that analog face.  It's just too hard to read the time at a glance without proper reference tick marks at the periphery.  To add insult to injury the 3 and 9 are out of place.  I actually prefer analog over digital, but it's got to be functional.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Did I miss the Series 4 in-depth review?
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Correct me if I’m wrong, but all Series 3 watches had Ceramic charging backs. I’m wearing an Aluminum one right now and it says “Ceramic Back.” This is not a new feature.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Correct me if I’m wrong, but all Series 3 watches had Ceramic charging backs. I’m wearing an Aluminum one right now and it says “Ceramic Back.” This is not a new feature.
    I believe that the round sensor piece on the 3s is ceramic, but the rest is part of the aluminum case. Now the entire back piece is ceramic, outside of the sensor as well. There is actually a seam around the rounded rectangle, separate from the aluminum case.
    edited October 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 11
    roakeroake Posts: 809member
    I’ll pass on Nike.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    I remember last year the exclusive bands that came with the Nike+ became available separate band after a while, I just can't remember how long it took. I will be picking one of these reflective ones up when that happens for sure.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 11
    roake said:
    I’ll pass on Nike.
    I have a Nike Apple Watch, three pairs of Nike shoes, several Nike workout shirts and shorts.

It's a great American brand, like Apple.
    minicoffeelolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Nike will no longer get my money or Apple I loved Apple products but that iPhone with the horrible notch, Camara bump, and very high price I’ll pass!!
  • Reply 9 of 11
    larrystar said:
    Nike will no longer get my money or Apple I loved Apple products but that iPhone with the horrible notch, Camara bump, and very high price I’ll pass!!
    Great! More for us. Here. 
    edited October 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 11
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    Correct me if I’m wrong
    Done.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member

larrystar said:
    And we're glad you did. 

Now if you could just stop posting crap, that would be a good thing.