iPad mini 5 refresh predicted, but may not be at October iPad Pro & Mac event

Comments

• Reply 21 of 61
    wonderwomanwonderwoman Posts: 9unconfirmed, member
    iPad mini will most likely launch during the March 2019 iPad education event. 
  • Reply 22 of 61
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    slurpy said:
    I don't think the iPad mini deserves to exist. The iPad is being more and more as a content creation device and as a Mac replacement (for some) and the mini is just too small to adhere to the expectations of the modern iPad, and what it can be. 
    I create no content on an iPad. I use it for consumption only. I think iPads shouldn't ever be used to create content. That belongs exclusively on a mac. We should get rid of all content creation tools on the iPad. Those don't deserve to exist. 
    cgWerksunbeliever2tmayaknabibeowulfschmidtwozwozatomic101
  • Reply 23 of 61
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    entropys said:
    ireland said:
    slurpy said:
    I don't think the iPad mini deserves to exist.
    Young kids.
    Fits well in lab coats, doctors pocket doing ward work, great for running about collecting data after a natural disaster, reading in bed, wherever slightly smaller size is of benefit really.
    Exactly, it isn't just kids. It's a use-case thing.

eightzero said:
    slurpy said:
    I don't think the iPad mini deserves to exist. The iPad is being more and more as a content creation device and as a Mac replacement (for some) and the mini is just too small to adhere to the expectations of the modern iPad, and what it can be. 
    I create no content on an iPad. I use it for consumption only. I think iPads shouldn't ever be used to create content. That belongs exclusively on a mac. We should get rid of all content creation tools on the iPad. Those don't deserve to exist. 
    No doubt. They either can't think their way out of a wet paper sack, or they were just trolling.
    netmage
  • Reply 24 of 61
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,630member
    My wife needs a new mini. Her 2 is cracked.  She doesn’t want a big iPad. She likes the smaller form.  

cgWerkswozwoz
  • Reply 25 of 61
    I’m still getting lots of productivity from a pair of mini 2’s. One WIFI as a soft synth for live music performance, the other my go with me all the time LTE. They are both so practical and useful even with A7 chips now with iOS 12. I would give a serious look at a re-specked low price model.
  • Reply 26 of 61
    I'll buy the new 11" Pro AND the new mini. Both have different uses for me. I've always been a fan of my minis!
    unbeliever2cgWerksnetmage
  • Reply 27 of 61
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    Could this event be where the first new Apple Thunderbolt 3 Display gets introduced? 

It makes sense to me. The event focus is on creatives and imagery, there seem to be supply-chain rumors of new iMac displays, the Mac mini is due and needs a display (yes, some people use them headless but Apple won’t market it that way — they will present it as they always have, with an Apple display), and any new MacBook/Pro model/refresh could obviously use one. Also note recent stock-reduction flash sales of the LG Thunderbolt display ($269, I believe).

The writing is on the wall: the new Apple display is happening this month!
    Totally with you on this. 
  • Reply 28 of 61
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    eightzero said:
    slurpy said:
    Why do you care what people create on their iPads? How bizarre. What do you think the Pencil is for?
    pscooter63
  • Reply 29 of 61
    eightzero said:
    slurpy said:
    Why do you care what people create on their iPads? How bizarre. What do you think the Pencil is for?
    I think he was being hyperbolic and imitating the wording of the original post. The point: you shouldn't make sweeping statements about use cases and what things should or shouldn't exist based on your narrow personal experience.
    unbeliever2cgWerkschristopher126wozwoz
  • Reply 30 of 61
    If Apple would bring out a new Mini iPad I would buy it immediately. My 4 is quick and unblemished, but even smaller and lighter would be great. At this moment I am traveling through the States, traveling light, but I would not go without my little, trusty 4. Also at home I use it every day for work. This news gives me hope!
    christopher126netmagewozwoz
  • Reply 31 of 61
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    Interestingly in the U.K. Argos, PC World and John Lewis, major retailers, are selling the WiFi iPad mini 4 at £299 instead of £399, effectively 25 percent off. Despite Apple U.K. selling at list price the discounting suggests they’re making room for a fresh new product; there’s no discount on the cellular version though...
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 32 of 61
    Aloysius said:
    eightzero said:
    slurpy said:
    I think he was being hyperbolic and imitating the wording of the original post. The point: you shouldn't make sweeping statements about use cases and what things should or shouldn't exist based on your narrow personal experience.
    I see that now. :) I was kinda half awake when I read that, my mistake. :)
    cgWerkschristopher126
  • Reply 33 of 61
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    eightzero said:
    I'll believe it when I see it. Then I'll buy it. I have the original iPad mini, and use it all the time. 
    I agree.  I’ll be pleasantly surprised if it happens and then happily buy one.
    christopher126netmage
  • Reply 34 of 61
    I love my iPad mini 2. It's my oldest Apple device. I just can't seem to give it up. 

A couple of years ago, my 2009 MacBookPro gave up the ghost (since recycled) I used my iPad mini with an inexpensive keyboard for about 2 months. Granted all my forms and charts had been created on my MacBookPro and I was essentially just updating them on the Mini...it was kind of fun. Minimilist and all that. :)

Finally, bought a rose gold 2017 MacBook and really haven't had the occasion to pickup the Mini. Especially, since the News App is now on MacOS! Thanks Apple. :)

Sad.  

P.S. Anyone else notice the iOS Apple Podcast App now has a 15 second rewind button on the left side and the new 30" advance button on the RH side. This is why I love Apple, incremental, smart improvements. :)

• Reply 35 of 61
    eightzero said:
    slurpy said:
    Hmmm...whatever the future of 'computing' is, I think it's safe to say, it's something closer to the iPad than the Mac.

Sorry.
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 36 of 61
    Hmmm, after reading all the above posts... I may give my SE and my iPad Mini to my GF and get a new iPhone XR.

Or better yet, sell her the iPad Mini for a $100 and the SE for $75!!!! And put that money towards the iPhone XR!

I know, I know, what a guy! :)

Best! :)
  • Reply 37 of 61
    Predicted based on what exactly?
    Pure speculation.
    Based on (paid) supply chain sources, like always. I know it’s upsetting to some—for what reason I have no clue—that Kuo often has accurate info, but get over it. Deal with reality on realities terms. 

This is the guy who called the 5.8” and 6.5” OLED iPhones, and the 6.1” LCD, all with a notch and TrueDepth camera system, on November 13th 2017. He didn’t just make that up; he (likely) paid good money for that info. That you’re upset he has good sources isn’t meaningful or relevant. 
    muthuk_vanalingamfastasleep
  • Reply 38 of 61
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    entropys said:
    ireland said:
    slurpy said:
    I don't think the iPad mini deserves to exist.
    Young kids.
    Fits well in lab coats, doctors pocket doing ward work, great for running about collecting data after a natural disaster, reading in bed, wherever slightly smaller size is of benefit really.
    Certainly all this, plus something very important for the general population that people often forget: the cellular mini is the perfect travel companion. It can be used as a low-rate phone, you have GPS and digital maps (some outstanding third-party ones, non-Apple and non-Google) and a whole array of very useful applications for travel (trains, buses, planes, booking, weather, restaurants). The bigger iPads are just this, too big for convenient use outdoors.

• Reply 39 of 61
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Could this event be where the first new Apple Thunderbolt 3 Display gets introduced? 

It makes sense to me. The event focus is on creatives and imagery, there seem to be supply-chain rumors of new iMac displays, the Mac mini is due and needs a display (yes, some people use them headless but Apple won’t market it that way — they will present it as they always have, with an Apple display), and any new MacBook/Pro model/refresh could obviously use one. Also note recent stock-reduction flash sales of the LG Thunderbolt display ($269, I believe).

The writing is on the wall: the new Apple display is happening this month!
    Totally with you on this. 
    New Display makes me wonder if they will then either present, release, or preview the new Mac Pro.    Although I doubt that it is what they want because of the lack on 10nm Intel Chips.  "Hi here's our great new machines running Intel's slow chips".   They need to get this machine out for Professionals as it should be the last intel based MacPro.
    With the next one in 5 years being an based on multiple A17X chips using the new SuperOS.
  • Reply 40 of 61
    I love my first generation mini.  It's the only device in the house that can still use the Stanza e-book reader reader (f--k you Amazon!), and that makes it priceless! :)