Unicode's Emoji 12.0 candidates for iOS 13 include more skin tone combos & handicap option...

Posted:
in General Discussion
The Unicode Consortium on Tuesday showed off 236 draft candidates for Emoji 12.0, which should make its way onto Apple platforms sometime in 2019 with iOS 13 and macOS 10.15.

Image Credit: Emojipedia

Some of the proposed additions include skin tone variations for multi-person characters, such as "holding hands," which will have 55 combinations of skin tones for same- and opposite-sex couples. The six multi-person emoji without specific genders will have five skin tones that can be mixed and matched for diverse families.

50 of the new emoji -- incorporating gender and skin variations -- are themed around accessibility, such as "woman in manual wheelchair."

Some other incoming characters include a sloth, a flamingo, a kite, and a white heart, Emojipedia noted.

Emoji 12.0 won't be cemented until after Consortium's next Technical Committee meeting in January, the goal being a March launch. Even then it will likely take companies like Apple, Google, and Microsoft some time to actually implement the standard.

In fact Apple has yet to support Emoji 11.0 in iOS with just two months left in the year. That will be fixed with the impending release of iOS 12.1, which will add over 70 new characters, such as more hair options, including none at all.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    rwesrwes Posts: 200member
    Would welcome a way to search emoji, right in the iOS keyboard...

difficult to know/guess which keywords are tied to certain emoji so that after typing you can pick it.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    I want an emoji face with a drool bucket.  That way I’ll feel included.
    napoleon_phoneapartlolliverleighc-sfo
  • Reply 3 of 23
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    The amount of attention Apple devotes to emojis is eleventy zillion times more than it should. The Esperanto of mobile phone users.

Where are new Macs?
    larz2112JonInAtl
  • Reply 4 of 23
    I'm offended that they don't offer variations on facial hair, hair styles, and body shape.  If I can't get a male-male couple with a fat, dark-skinned, bald guy with a Hitler mustache holding hands with a slightly fatter, albino, guy with a mullet and a neck tattoo how will I not feel marginalized.  (I'll let you guess which of those, I am.)

Or maybe they should go back to the yellow cartoon people and call it a f'ing day. 
    georgie01wonkothesanenetroxentropysJWSChagarlarz2112JonInAtl
  • Reply 5 of 23

Once upon a time very few people cared. We saved our recognition of discrimination for real issues. It wasn’t until the ‘victim’ mindset became mainstream that average people started to think they are being mistreated and discriminated against just because there isn’t something like an emoji there to represent them. As a culture, we consider ourselves and how we feel as far too interesting and important.
    edited October 2018 randominternetpersonentropyslarz2112JonInAtl
  • Reply 6 of 23
    Is no one looking out for the furries?
    entropysleighc-sfo
  • Reply 7 of 23
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    Where is the orange skinned fat guy with a comb over?
    dewmehagar
  • Reply 8 of 23
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    I'm offended that they don't offer variations on facial hair, hair styles, and body shape.  If I can't get a male-male couple with a fat, dark-skinned, bald guy with a Hitler mustache holding hands with a slightly fatter, albino, guy with a mullet and a neck tattoo how will I not feel marginalized.  (I'll let you guess which of those, I am.)

Or maybe they should go back to the yellow cartoon people and call it a f'ing day. 
    Or you could simply use your brain power to focus on more important matters. 

It occurs to me that the amount of resistance these kinds of articles bring up, shows me how entrenched we are in our idea of what is acceptable and how limited it is to the rest of the world. 

Wake up, people. The world is vast and has many different kinds of people & cultures. Stop your racist &  isolationist ideas and grow up. The people around you will greatly appreciate it. 
    lolliverStrangeDaysRayz2016
  • Reply 9 of 23
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    It is pretty clear Apple sees some marketing value in their investment in emoji, although I can’t see how it could sell one extra iPhone. 
    It really is at the point of ludicrously, vanishingly small return. How many of these would ever be used in real life? How often, by what % of the population?
    There is a reason alphanumerics are a more efficient and technical form of communication than hieroglyphics. Let’s not retrograde back there.
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 10 of 23
    I can't express how long I been waiting for the "Mate" emoji.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    Must make sure not a single user is offended or feels excluded.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    FatmanFatman Posts: 513member
    55 race combinations for couples and the sport of lacrosse played by millions doesn’t even have an emoji - who decides on emojis? nerdy, liberals?
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 13 of 23
    mac_dog said:

Or you could simply use your brain power to focus on more important matters. 

It occurs to me that the amount of resistance these kinds of articles bring up, shows me how entrenched we are in our idea of what is acceptable and how limited it is to the rest of the world. 

Wake up, people. The world is vast and has many different kinds of people & cultures. Stop your racist &  isolationist ideas and grow up. The people around you will greatly appreciate it. 
    Unfortunately I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon. 
  • Reply 14 of 23
    Queue all the triggered old white guys who can’t stand inclusion and don’t see the value of things that don’t represent them.
    leighc-sfosingularitydewme
  • Reply 15 of 23
    entropys said:
    The amount of attention Apple devotes to emojis is eleventy zillion times more than it should. The Esperanto of mobile phone users.

Where are new Macs?
    entropys said:
    It is pretty clear Apple sees some marketing value in their investment in emoji, although I can’t see how it could sell one extra iPhone. 
    It really is at the point of ludicrously, vanishingly small return. How many of these would ever be used in real life? How often, by what % of the population?
    There is a reason alphanumerics are a more efficient and technical form of communication than hieroglyphics. Let’s not retrograde back there.
    No, it’s just pretty clear you’re ignorant to how emoji work. Apple doesn’t invent them, they’re characters ratified by a committee into thr character set. If a vendor doesn’t implement the characters its users get a blank box.
  • Reply 16 of 23

Says a white guy. You know, like Homer Simpson. If you’re black, a yellow comic book white guy tone doesn’t offer the same value.
    Rayz2016
  • Reply 17 of 23
    georgie01 said:

Once upon a time very few people cared. We saved our recognition of discrimination for real issues. It wasn’t until the ‘victim’ mindset became mainstream that average people started to think they are being mistreated and discriminated against just because there isn’t something like an emoji there to represent them. As a culture, we consider ourselves and how we feel as far too interesting and important.
    Nah, the real victims/whiners/princesses are all the triggered white guys upset at the inclusion of other racial identities.
    netroxanomeRayz2016singularitydewme
  • Reply 18 of 23
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    georgie01 said:

Nah, the real victims/whiners/princesses are all the triggered white guys upset at the inclusion of other racial identities.
    THIS IS THE TRUTH! All I am seeing is how upset they are that they feel slighted because they're making emojis for other racial/ethnic/sexual groups. It's what white privilege is about. I am a white male but if there were emojis that don't resemble me as a white male yet resemble other racial groups, I'll probably be upset as well but here's the thing - those things don't happen.  
  • Reply 19 of 23
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member

Just once in a while an apple really is an apple.  Take care gentlemen in your presumptions.  Because sometimes what one perceive’s is more a reflection of the observer rather than the object of judgement.

randominternetperson
  • Reply 20 of 23
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Wow.

You’d think old white men were an endangered species or something. 

It’s just an emoji. It can’t hurt you. It’s just a bit of fun for the kids. It doesn’t mean the darker races are taking over, and it won’t have any effect on your rights to beat your wife. 
    dewme