Teen intent to buy iPhone hits record 86 percent, Android wallows at 10 percent

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    frantisek said:
    And does it really materialize in sales to teens?
    One really does have to wonder if intent actually leads to sales. The teen might want an iPhone but will the parents spring for the cost? I think it's a waste of time doing surveys with teens or anyone who doesn't actually have the purchasing power to buy a particular product.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    Apple blocked this web page on my iPad which has content restrictions on.
    i had to add AppleInsider to my do not block list.
    what sort of crazy is going on with Apple’s restrictions list?

Settings->ScreenTime->Content and privacy restrictions->Content restrictions->web content->Limit adult content.

• Reply 23 of 29
    frantisek said:
    And does it really materialize in sales to teens?
    One really does have to wonder if intent actually leads to sales. The teen might want an iPhone but will the parents spring for the cost? I think it's a waste of time doing surveys with teens or anyone who doesn't actually have the purchasing power to buy a particular product.
    1) a quick visual while out in public will reveal that many teens are carrying iPhones. 

2) why do you think teens don’t have purchasing power? I started working full-time in the summer when I was 12 years old, I was buying my own car and stereo equipment etc, by the time I was 16. 

3) how old do you think the kids were who made Cabbage Patch Kids a thing? Or Power Rangers? Lots of parents buy their kid’s things the kids want even when the kids don’t have money of their own.  I take it you have never seen one of those surveys that show what the younger set is interested in for Christmas. 
    watto_cobraking editor the grate
  • Reply 24 of 29
    avon b7 said:
    It's weird that with all that intent, actual sales have been flat for three years now. 
    It’s not that weird. I know plenty of parents who take their kid’s “old” iPhone and let the kid upgrade. And since iPhones receive updates and stay functional for so long after the initial purchase that same phone is likely to get handed down again to another parent, younger sibling, grandparent etc. 

Who expects the entire family to upgrade every year? It may happen but I bet it isn’t the norm. 
    Same in my family. My teenager upgraded (on my dime) to a XS and gave her 6S to my mother. I'm keeping my 8 Plus until next year. At that time I'm sure there will be a family member (maybe even my mother) who wants to upgrade and take my phone. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 29
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    avon b7 said:
    It's weird that with all that intent, actual sales have been flat for three years now. 
    It’s not that weird. I know plenty of parents who take their kid’s “old” iPhone and let the kid upgrade. And since iPhones receive updates and stay functional for so long after the initial purchase that same phone is likely to get handed down again to another parent, younger sibling, grandparent etc. 

Who expects the entire family to upgrade every year? It may happen but I bet it isn’t the norm. 
    AvonB7 should go read the latest weekly
    article on AboveAvalon.  It speaks exactly to the secondary market for iPhones and how the existence of demand for used iPhones allows Apple to go farther upmarket rather than downmarket as every analyst for years has suggested Apple needed to do.  Apple sells fewer iPhones at higher prices while benefiting (by selling software and services) from the huge used-iPhone market and growing installed base.  Let other sell iPhones at low prices - used iPhones - while Apple controls the premium priced market by offering only the most technologically advanced models. 

Sometimes it looks almost as if Apple knows what it’s doing. 

🤔
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 29
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    MacPro said:
    avon b7 said:

article on AboveAvalon.  It speaks exactly to the secondary market for iPhones and how the existence of demand for used iPhones allows Apple to go farther upmarket rather than downmarket as every analyst for years has suggested Apple needed to do.  Apple sells fewer iPhones at higher prices while benefiting (by selling software and services) from the huge used-iPhone market and growing installed base.  Let other sell iPhones at low prices - used iPhones - while Apple controls the premium priced market by offering only the most technologically advanced models. 
    Aside from Apple Music, what services does Apple sell?
    (I don't count repairs.  Nor do  count the $0.99 I spend for expanded iCloud storage.)

But, in fact, Apple has opened up its market to lower cost phones.  But NOT by selling junk but by continuing to sell older versions of its phones at discounted prices.

I think the main way Apple benefits from the used iPhone market is that buyers are more willing to spend on the latest and greatest if they know there will be a resale market for it when they decide to upgrade again.
    Apple Services is a massive sector and is far more than Apple Music these days I believe.  This is a year out of date: https://www.businessinsider.com/apple-services-business-strategy-2017-8
    It is!  I agree!   But my question was not "What services does Apple offer?"  It was "what services does Apple sell?"  and was prompted by the claim:
    "Apple sells fewer iPhones at higher prices while benefiting (by selling software and services) from the huge used-iPhone market"
    Apple Services also includes the App Stores, AppleCare and ApplePay. Remember that the app stores take about 30% of the apps sold. 

Whether you count repairs or not is immaterial because whether it is part of Apple Services or not isn’t up to you.  And saying that you don’t count the $0.99 you pay for iCloud storage is a somewhat idiotic statement because you’re not the only person paying for it. It’s a bit like saying Toyota isn’t a success because you don’t own a Toyota car. 

Folk round here really need to expand their view beyond their computer desks. 

GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 29
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Rayz2016 said:
    MacPro said:
    avon b7 said:

Aside from Apple Music, what services does Apple sell?
    (I don't count repairs.  Nor do  count the $0.99 I spend for expanded iCloud storage.)

But, in fact, Apple has opened up its market to lower cost phones.  But NOT by selling junk but by continuing to sell older versions of its phones at discounted prices.

I think the main way Apple benefits from the used iPhone market is that buyers are more willing to spend on the latest and greatest if they know there will be a resale market for it when they decide to upgrade again.
    Apple Services is a massive sector and is far more than Apple Music these days I believe.  This is a year out of date: https://www.businessinsider.com/apple-services-business-strategy-2017-8
    It is!  I agree!   But my question was not "What services does Apple offer?"  It was "what services does Apple sell?"  and was prompted by the claim:
    "Apple sells fewer iPhones at higher prices while benefiting (by selling software and services) from the huge used-iPhone market"
    Apple Services also includes the App Stores, AppleCare and ApplePay. Remember that the app stores take about 30% of the apps sold. 

Whether you count repairs or not is immaterial because whether it is part of Apple Services or not isn’t up to you.  And saying that you don’t count the $0.99 you pay for iCloud storage is a somewhat idiotic statement because you’re not the only person paying for it. It’s a bit like saying Toyota isn’t a success because you don’t own a Toyota car. 

Folk round here really need to expand their view beyond their computer desks. 

Good points on the App Store, AppleCare and ApplePay.

But I'll stand by what I said about repairs and $0.99 iCloud storage:   They seem, to me, to be more to support the Apple Ecosystem than revenue generators.  And, from that standpoint, it doesn't matter how many people use them.  It seems that many people around here believe that every individual thing Apple does is solely designed to increase profit.   Well run businesses know better.   And Apple is a well run business. 
  • Reply 28 of 29
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,691member
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    "Save for a blip in spring 2015, Apple's draw of the teen market -- both in ownership and intent to own -- has steadily risen over the past five years. Last year, for example, 82 percent of teens planned to buy an iPhone, a figure that was at the time a new height for the brand."

Or maybe, it might be that 82% of teens already have them.

https://www.ped30.com/2018/10/22/taking-stock-with-teens-apple/

So yeah, flat market, with no room for Android OS growth in that market either.
    We can't know. The article said 'ownership and intent'.

As for room for growth, there is plenty to be had from both camps but obviously at the expense of the other. I get the impression that your average US purchaser sees quality phones as a two-option choice and has little or no idea that other premium options exist (independently of whether they are actually available in the US or not). I can understand this might be reality for many there but clearly (as highlighted by Gatorguy) the devil is in the details and this survey just isn't very representative.
  • Reply 29 of 29
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    MacPro said:
    NY1822 said:
    I've yet to see a teen in the wild wearing a Rolex...unless Rolex plans to offer Instagram notifications, I doubt I ever will.
    List of things they are impressed by is probably all it means.  Teens probably have a list of favorite supercars too, doesn't mean any actually have one.  

That said, I joked about giving mine (edit ... Rolex not supercar lol) to a grandkid now I have an Watch plus a new Watch v4 on the way but my wife pointed out they wouldn't want it as it doesn't have walkie-talkie mode lol.
    You'd be surprised.  I offered my Apple Watch 3 to my kid for homecoming and he wanted grandpa's daily wear watch because it "looked nicer".

Never mind Grandpa's watch is a just mid grade Seiko...he did want the vintage seamaster but I just laughed at him.  He'd have been all over your Rolex.

I love my Apple Watch but it is just a nice daily wear.  Which really is all the seamasters were too back in the day.