Early iPhone XR reviews praise performance & battery life

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    jbdragon said:
    Phone looks great, but saddened that they didn't put the optical zoom on it. It's being sold for $749, so it's the cheap version now, even though it's priced higher than the highest end iPhone 2 years ago, 3 years ago, etc. which all had optical zoom.
    Optical Zoom requires 2 camera's. It's really only a 2x optical Zoom as there's only 2 camera's and 2 fixed lenses. You drop 1 camera and now the 2x optical zoom is gone. You still have Digital Zoom, though it's not really recommended to use as you lose detail and start to see pixels the more you zoom in that way. Better to physically walk forward or back to get the shot you want, so long as you don't do something dumb like walk off a cliff.
    Optical zoom does not require two cameras. There's this technology invented a long time ago that allows devices to optically zoom without electricity or digital image sensors. They are called movable lenses. They aren't practical for putting into a svelte iPhone however.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 58
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    saltyzip said:
    georgie01 said:
    If I still had my iPhone 7 I’d upgrade to the XR probably without hestitation. The whole talk about resolution and the XR not being 1080p is pointless—it’s nothing more than a semi-legitimate sounding complaint against Apple delivered simply for the sake of complaining about Apple. The most outstanding aspects of my XS display are the colour and blacks. The higher resolution is only an extremely small benefit.
    Would you buy a TV that wasn't at least full hd in 2018? Of course you wouldn't, so why buy a phone at £750 that wasn't either? Why compromise with downscaled videos etc. ?
    TV and phone completely different things. 720 on an LCD screen is perfectly fine. You didn't see people complaining about 720 on the iPhone 8. You wouldn't even be able to tell the difference between a 1080 and 720 video on your phone with an LCD display. Speaking of TV's, you do realize most channels are broadcast in 720p. 
    gilly33StrangeDaysguscatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 58
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,929member
    I don't know about the system design and how it uses RAM, so pardon my ignorance, but does the display use RAM? If so, the lower RAM of the Xr vs Xs may be negated by the difference in display resolution.

I would agree with other commenters regarding screen resolution. If I'm viewing a video on my phone, then a 'true HD' picture is not my priority. For those who claim it is I would say you need to get a grip. The bigger issue would be the contrast ratio and color depth difference between the OLED and LED displays, not the resolution.

I've actually gotten used to 3D Touch on my 6s, but it's not all that often that I use it, so I doubt I'd miss it much.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 58
    saltyzip said:
    georgie01 said:
    If I still had my iPhone 7 I’d upgrade to the XR probably without hestitation. The whole talk about resolution and the XR not being 1080p is pointless—it’s nothing more than a semi-legitimate sounding complaint against Apple delivered simply for the sake of complaining about Apple. The most outstanding aspects of my XS display are the colour and blacks. The higher resolution is only an extremely small benefit.
    Would you buy a TV that wasn't at least full hd in 2018? Of course you wouldn't, so why buy a phone at £750 that wasn't either? Why compromise with downscaled videos etc. ?
    TV and phone completely different things. 720 on an LCD screen is perfectly fine. You didn't see people complaining about 720 on the iPhone 8. You wouldn't even be able to tell the difference between a 1080 and 720 video on your phone with an LCD display. Speaking of TV's, you do realize most channels are broadcast in 720p. 
    So the XR not 1080p because 720p is “perfectly fine”? Since when has Apple ever been about being just fine? I’m not someone into spec whoring but 1080p seems to be the standard on phones these days. For me a bigger question is why the XR offers a 128GB option but the XS and XS Max do not. Honestly the XS line should be 128 > 256 > 512.
  • Reply 25 of 58
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 434member
    The Engadget review said the display is good but it would have been nice if it was 1080p. Is there a technical reason it’s not or did Apple just decide 1080p wasn’t necessary? Honestly for me after having an OLED display with the deep blacks I could never go back to an LCD. I wish my iPad Pro could be OLED but I know that’s a pipe dream.
    It seems a lot of folk are making this point about 1080p vs. XRs 828p (720p). Your point is well taken when adding you prefer OLED. At that screen size there is only so much pixels our eyes can really distinguish before it all looks the same on any smartphone. OLED just adds all the pop that everyone craves these days. I found this article helpful https://www.google.com/amp/s/lifehacker. Happy shopping. 
    guscatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 58
    saltyzip said:
    georgie01 said:
    This guy is a troll. He was saying the same crap responding to another article about XR. Maybe like a YouTuber suggested he has mutant eyes so he can tell the difference. Not to mention the XR resolution says 828p. Just trolling this site because he has nothing better to do. 
    guscatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 58
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    saltyzip said:
    georgie01 said:
    Because I’m not watching cinema on my phone held a foot away from my eyes? Maybe? 

What value specifically do you argue in favor of for the added pixels considering the energy cost?
    guscatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 58
    linkman said:
    Phone looks great, but saddened that they didn't put the optical zoom on it. It's being sold for $749, so it's the cheap version now, even though it's priced higher than the highest end iPhone 2 years ago, 3 years ago, etc. which all had optical zoom.
    No, the iPhone 7 Plus was introduced in 2016 at prices of $769 and up. The priciest 7 was $849. The iPhone 8 Plus started at $799 and the 256GB 8 was $849. https://9to5mac.com/2016/09/07/apple-announces-iphone-7-pricing-availability-pre-orders-start-sept-9-available-sept-16/
    Got him my friend. The trolls are out en masse. 
    guscatmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 58
    saltyzip said:
    georgie01 said:
    So the XR not 1080p because 720p is “perfectly fine”? Since when has Apple ever been about being just fine? I’m not someone into spec whoring but 1080p seems to be the standard on phones these days. For me a bigger question is why the XR offers a 128GB option but the XS and XS Max do not. Honestly the XS line should be 128 > 256 > 512.
    “Honestly” no it shouldn’t. I ordered the 64gb X because with iCloud music and photos, I simply don’t need as much local storage anymore. Why would I want to pay for a larger tier if I don’t need it?

gilly33Soliguscatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 58
    saltyzip said:
    georgie01 said:
    “Honestly” no it shouldn’t. I ordered the 64gb X because with iCloud music and photos, I simply don’t need as much local storage anymore. Why would I want to pay for a larger tier if I don’t need it?

Where did I say you need to pay for a larger tier? I said I think the current XS 64GB entry level tier should be 128GB. For some reason with the XR Apple decided to offer the sweet spot. The XS storage options are still stupid. If you say you don’t even need 64GB who the heck needs 512GB? 128GB is the sweet spot yet Apple doesn’t offer it I’m sure assuming/hoping users will opt for 256GB rather than 64GB and thus increasing revenues & ASPs.
  • Reply 31 of 58
    kakagoatkakagoat Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    mannn i dont even know where to begin. for this price i have bought a full freaking 13 inch macbook and just yesterday the new ipad 2018 for a price which sounds like a steal. 
    I cant get it into my head to pay so much for an iPhone. the camera is a joke. at this price you get a magnificent mirror less camera if you are really into taking the best in image quality. Quite frankly cheapass android phones are reaching high Dxomark ratings already, similar to the google pixel which was a great camera, have a look at honor 8x which is under $250, bezel less 6.5 phone which has glowing reviews while being compared to a iPhone Xs on youtube.
    the dumbing down is getting real.
  • Reply 32 of 58
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    It amazes me that Apple can offer such a great device for people not wanting to dish out four figures for an iPhone that isn't using last year's A-series chip and these asshats and trolls still find reasons to say how many it and Apple sucks.

saltyzip said:
    georgie01 said:

Where did I say you need to pay for a larger tier? I said I think the current XS 64GB entry level tier should be 128GB.
    You just said it there, unless you're say that Apple should be required to double the capacity for free, which would be an even more ridiculous statement.
    The XS storage options are still stupid. If you say you don’t even need 64GB who the heck needs 512GB?

So your argument is that if @StrangeDays is fine with 64 GB since he uses a lot of cloud storage it means that no one ever use more than 64 GB?

128GB is the sweet spot yet Apple doesn’t offer it I’m sure assuming/hoping users will opt for 256GB rather than 64GB and thus increasing revenues & ASPs.

If that's a sweet spot for you then get the 128 GB iPhone XR. For me, I'm in the same boat as @StrangeDays so 64 GB is more than enough for at least the next couple years. Why you believe that no one wants 64 GB, that everyone needs 128 GB, and that 512 GB shouldn't exist is even one person is fine with 64 GB is sounds fucking nuts. You have capacity options of 32, 64, 128, 256, and 512 GB of storage….but all you do is bitch that's it's both not enough options and too many options. JFC, man.

edited October 2018 guscatStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 58
    The original iPhone 7 Plus cost $769 when it was released 2 years ago, and that was with a tight 32GB. Earlier iPhone Plus models may have started out at a slightly lower price, but they came with an unusable 16GB. (I really think this is phone is comparable to the Plus phones and not the non-Plus ones.)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 58
    Soli said:
    It amazes me that Apple can offer such a great device for people not wanting to dish out four figures for an iPhone that isn't using last year's A-series chip and these asshats and trolls still find reasons to say how many it and Apple sucks.

saltyzip said:
    georgie01 said:

Where did I say you need to pay for a larger tier? I said I think the current XS 64GB entry level tier should be 128GB.
    You just said it there, unless you're say that Apple should be required to double the capacity for free, which would be an even more ridiculous statement.
    The XS storage options are still stupid. If you say you don’t even need 64GB who the heck needs 512GB?

So your argument is that if @StrangeDays is fine with 64 GB since he uses a lot of cloud storage it means that no one ever use more than 64 GB?

128GB is the sweet spot yet Apple doesn’t offer it I’m sure assuming/hoping users will opt for 256GB rather than 64GB and thus increasing revenues & ASPs.

If that's a sweet spot for you then get the 128 GB iPhone XR. For me, I'm in the same boat as @StrangeDays so 64 GB is more than enough for at least the next couple years. Why you believe that no one wants 64 GB, that everyone needs 128 GB, and that 512 GB shouldn't exist is even one person is fine with 64 GB is sounds fucking nuts. You have capacity options of 32, 64, 128, 256, and 512 GB of storage….but all you do is bitch that's it's both not enough options and too many options. JFC, man.

I believe a lot of phone snobs can't imagine that anyone would want something other than the exact phone with the exact specs they want. I also think they like showing off how much more incisive and refined their sensibilities are than the rest of us.

BTW, I have a X with 64GB, and I am more than happy with that. I'd be wasting anything else.
    Soliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 58
    kakagoat said:
    mannn i dont even know where to begin. for this price i have bought a full freaking 13 inch macbook and just yesterday the new ipad 2018 for a price which sounds like a steal. 
    I cant get it into my head to pay so much for an iPhone. the camera is a joke. at this price you get a magnificent mirror less camera if you are really into taking the best in image quality. Quite frankly cheapass android phones are reaching high Dxomark ratings already, similar to the google pixel which was a great camera, have a look at honor 8x which is under $250, bezel less 6.5 phone which has glowing reviews while being compared to a iPhone Xs on youtube.
    LOL, reading your comment, I agree the dumbing down is getting real but I think you're looking in the wrong direction.

If Android phones are that much greater, then why are you posting on here? I really can't think of a more moronic way of spending my time than complaining on an Apple site.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 58
    gilly33 said:
    linkman said:
    No, the iPhone 7 Plus was introduced in 2016 at prices of $769 and up. The priciest 7 was $849. The iPhone 8 Plus started at $799 and the 256GB 8 was $849. https://9to5mac.com/2016/09/07/apple-announces-iphone-7-pricing-availability-pre-orders-start-sept-9-available-sept-16/
    Got him my friend. The trolls are out en masse. 
    The bad thing about the Android trolls is they just don't know what they're talking about most of the time. This comment is a good example of that. I don't know why they're all over Apple sites. I'd never comment on an Android site because I don't know enough about their phones. If I posted comments like these, guys I'd sound like an idiot. (I also frankly have better things to do with my time than post comments about phones I'm not interested in.)
    StrangeDayscornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 58
    saltyzip said:
    georgie01 said:

Where did I say you need to pay for a larger tier? I said I think the current XS 64GB entry level tier should be 128GB. For some reason with the XR Apple decided to offer the sweet spot. The XS storage options are still stupid. If you say you don’t even need 64GB who the heck needs 512GB? 128GB is the sweet spot yet Apple doesn’t offer it I’m sure assuming/hoping users will opt for 256GB rather than 64GB and thus increasing revenues & ASPs.
    You said the XS should start at 128gb. Are you suggesting if Apple doubled (again) the entry-level model storage that customers would not be paying for it? Were you born in an alternative dimension?

Yeah no. 64gb is a great entry-level tier. I don’t want to pay more for more. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 58
    kakagoatkakagoat Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    guscat said:
    kakagoat said:
    LOL, reading your comment, I agree the dumbing down is getting real but I think you're looking in the wrong direction.

If Android phones are that much greater, then why are you posting on here? I really can't think of a more moronic way of spending my time than complaining on an Apple site.
    i dint say android phones are better. they are offering similar specs for 1/4th the price.
  • Reply 39 of 58
    One thing to remember...Xr has 720p LCD screen.  Most 1080p Android phones are OLED.......and OLED Pentile display.  Pentile display resolution is less than what is advertised.  

1080p Pentile OLED = 1564 x 880.

Source: https://medium.com/@suyashsrijan/1080p-pentile-is-not-true-1080p-9951b9e5c2ee

So, while many Android may bash Xr LCD resolution, they need to understand that their 1080P OLED is not all that much better....

And as we all know, resolution alone is not what defines a display quality.  Now that we got 1080p vs. 720p blah blah out of the way, we do know that Xr display brightness (far superior to Pixel 3) and color accuracy (on par with Xs OLED) are excellent.

Source: https://www.tomsguide.com/us/iphone-xr,review-5868.html

I do think that the Xr is an amazing value...top notch display (relatively), class leading processor (by a wide margin), FaceID (still best in industry), top notch camera (just a a small notch below Xs due to less flexibility), and a nice design overall......all for $750.  That's a huge value IMHO.
    edited October 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 58
    Soli said:

saltyzip said:
    georgie01 said:

It’s not for free. The X is the most expensive phone Apple has ever shipped. When the 7 came out the entry price was $649, the 128GB model was $749. A 64GB XS starts at $999. I think it should start at 128GB but if that’s impossible then Apple should at least offer it as another option for those where 64GB might not be enough but 256GB is overkill. 

Can you explain why the XR and XS don’t have the same storage options?
    edited October 2018