iPad mini 5 refresh predicted, but may not be at October iPad Pro & Mac event

Comments

• Reply 41 of 61
    k2kw said:
    Could this event be where the first new Apple Thunderbolt 3 Display gets introduced? 

It makes sense to me. The event focus is on creatives and imagery, there seem to be supply-chain rumors of new iMac displays, the Mac mini is due and needs a display (yes, some people use them headless but Apple won’t market it that way — they will present it as they always have, with an Apple display), and any new MacBook/Pro model/refresh could obviously use one. Also note recent stock-reduction flash sales of the LG Thunderbolt display ($269, I believe).

The writing is on the wall: the new Apple display is happening this month!
    Totally with you on this. 
    New Display makes me wonder if they will then either present, release, or preview the new Mac Pro.    Although I doubt that it is what they want because of the lack on 10nm Intel Chips.  "Hi here's our great new machines running Intel's slow chips".   They need to get this machine out for Professionals as it should be the last intel based MacPro.
    With the next one in 5 years being an based on multiple A17X chips using the new SuperOS.
    Release isn’t likely, since the 28-core flagship Xeon-W (3175X) won’t begin to ship until December at best. Maybe a preview, but I don’t think that’s likely either, because the controversy (no matter what they do) would upstage everything else.

No, this presentation will be about meeting expectations: that the iMac display stay ahead of the competition, that the Thunderbolt 3 display work seamlessly with the MacBook, MacBook Pro, and new Mac mini, that the iPad, iPad Pro, and new iPad mini stay ahead of the competition and continue to innovate as a tool for art and graphic design.

Just my 2¢.
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 42 of 61
    All the new refresh iPad Mini 5 needs is a new A12 and 4GB RAM.  Everything else can remain the same.  Apple can at the very least manage to do that for the Mini users.  There is no new development.  Just a simple upgrade of two parts and that is it.  Charge $600 for 128GB version with LTE!  I am will to pay more if needed!  Cannot be that hard for Apple to make it so.  I think they can do the testing in a hours time and let it go into the marketing using labels to cover up the 4 and have the 5 on top.  Same packaging too.  Quick, simple and no time to bring it to market.
    edited October 2018 netmagemuthuk_vanalingamMisterKitGobnucgWerks
  • Reply 43 of 61
    slurpy said:
    I don't think the iPad mini deserves to exist. The iPad is being more and more as a content creation device and as a Mac replacement (for some) and the mini is just too small to adhere to the expectations of the modern iPad, and what it can be. 

Totally wrong! Mini is more important the Mac is for me!
    netmage
  • Reply 44 of 61
    k2kw said:
    Could this event be where the first new Apple Thunderbolt 3 Display gets introduced? 

It makes sense to me. The event focus is on creatives and imagery, there seem to be supply-chain rumors of new iMac displays, the Mac mini is due and needs a display (yes, some people use them headless but Apple won’t market it that way — they will present it as they always have, with an Apple display), and any new MacBook/Pro model/refresh could obviously use one. Also note recent stock-reduction flash sales of the LG Thunderbolt display ($269, I believe).

New Display makes me wonder if they will then either present, release, or preview the new Mac Pro.    Although I doubt that it is what they want because of the lack on 10nm Intel Chips.  "Hi here's our great new machines running Intel's slow chips".   They need to get this machine out for Professionals as it should be the last intel based MacPro.
    With the next one in 5 years being an based on multiple A17X chips using the new SuperOS.
    Release isn’t likely, since the 28-core flagship Xeon-W (3175X) won’t begin to ship until December at best. Maybe a preview, but I don’t think that’s likely either, because the controversy (no matter what they do) would upstage everything else.

No, this presentation will be about meeting expectations: that the iMac display stay ahead of the competition, that the Thunderbolt 3 display work seamlessly with the MacBook, MacBook Pro, and new Mac mini, that the iPad, iPad Pro, and new iPad mini stay ahead of the competition and continue to innovate as a tool for art and graphic design.

Just my 2¢.
    I think the new Mac Pro is more likely to use the Skylake-SP processors than the W-series the iMac Pro uses. Not holding out too much hope for a dual-socket machine, which would rule out the W-series, but there are definitely a lot more interesting CPUs available with Skylake-SP, at similar TDPs as the W series. Cost is another matter, however. Of course the 3175-X could be a $10,000+ part itself, unknown at this point. 
    edited October 2018 fastasleep
  • Reply 45 of 61
    netmagenetmage Posts: 314member
    Apple sees what Google apparently can't - that this is a very useful form factor. I have a Mini 4 and Nexus 7 for work, but don't see a replacement for the Nexus 7 that has lost support, while my Mini runs iOS 12.
  • Reply 46 of 61
    slurpy said:
    I don't think the iPad mini deserves to exist. The iPad is being more and more as a content creation device and as a Mac replacement (for some) and the mini is just too small to adhere to the expectations of the modern iPad, and what it can be. 
    Doctor here.  Fits nicely in lab coat pocket, blazer pocket and inside pocket of travel vest.  I have a fantastic 10.5 ipad pro for around the house and certain travel, but I spend much more time with the 7.9 as it is significantly more convenient to carry around.
    harry wild
  • Reply 47 of 61
    k2kw said:

Just my 2¢.
    I think the new Mac Pro is more likely to use the Skylake-SP processors than the W-series the iMac Pro uses. Not holding out too much hope for a dual-socket machine, which would rule out the W-series, but there are definitely a lot more interesting CPUs available with Skylake-SP, at similar TDPs as the W series. Cost is another matter, however. Of course the 3175-X could be a $10,000+ part itself, unknown at this point. 
    The SP series would be a step forward, and supposedly Cascade Lake (or whatever, I didn’t look it up, the next generation of SP after Skylake) could appear in time for the new Mac Pro. Best thing about SP is they are designed to be swapped out — if Apple’s new “modular” is going to mean easy CPU upgrades, then SP would fit the bill.

But such a step would be a departure from the past. The W series is the parallel to the CPUs Apple used in the 2013 Mac Pro.
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 48 of 61
    1348513485 Posts: 343member
    eightzero said:
    I create no content on an iPad. I use it for consumption only. I think iPads shouldn't ever be used to create content. That belongs exclusively on a mac. We should get rid of all content creation tools on the iPad. Those don't deserve to exist. 
    I don't use the content creation tools very much I would like to, as I find the iPad Air 2 too slow and unresponsive, and tools like Numbers and even Excel way too clumsy, weird and tedious. For me the iOS simulacra tools don't do it. That being said, it doesn't mean others shouldn't have the tools available to them. It's not like they're in the way or anything. And they're not heavy. 

Still looking for the right tool, I guess.
  • Reply 49 of 61
    All the new refresh iPad Mini 5 needs is a new A12 and 4GB RAM.  Everything else can remain the same.  Apple can at the very least manage to do that for the Mini users.  There is no new development.  Just a simple upgrade of two parts and that is it.  Charge $600 for 128GB version with LTE!  I am will to pay more if needed!  Cannot be that hard for Apple to make it so.  I think they can do the testing in a hours time and let it go into the marketing using labels to cover up the 4 and have the 5 on top.  Same packaging too.  Quick, simple and no time to bring it to market.
    To quote "In Tuesday's note, the analyst predicts "a new iPad mini equipped with an upgraded processor and a lower-cost panel" is coming" ...

>> I agree with harry wild, however, if they downgrade the laminated display to a cheap "retina" display like the entry level iPad, I will be furious!!!
  • Reply 50 of 61

benji888 said:
    To quote "In Tuesday's note, the analyst predicts "a new iPad mini equipped with an upgraded processor and a lower-cost panel" is coming" ...

>> I agree with harry wild, however, if they downgrade the laminated display to a cheap "retina" display like the entry level iPad, I will be furious!!!
    I think you will end up furious despite Apple releasing an iPad Mini after a long long time instead of abandoning it !!!
    cgWerks
  • Reply 51 of 61
    Just fix the iTunes so it sees those devices through any type of cable, because it does not now while other applications do.
  • Reply 52 of 61
    Just fix the iTunes so it sees those devices through any type of cable, because it does not now while other applications do.
    What?
  • Reply 53 of 61
    Predicted based on what exactly?
    Pure speculation.
    Based on (paid) supply chain sources, like always. I know it’s upsetting to some—for what reason I have no clue—that Kuo often has accurate info, but get over it. Deal with reality on realities terms. 

This is the guy who called the 5.8” and 6.5” OLED iPhones, and the 6.1” LCD, all with a notch and TrueDepth camera system, on November 13th 2017. He didn’t just make that up; he (likely) paid good money for that info. That you’re upset he has good sources isn’t meaningful or relevant. 
    Exactly.   Kuo gets fed information that there are , say, 10 million orders for a 6.1" LCD screen for a certain company, and yes, he would speculate that a 6.1" iPhone is coming out.
  • Reply 54 of 61

benji888 said:

I think you will end up furious despite Apple releasing an iPad Mini after a long long time instead of abandoning it !!!
    If you haven't had the Mini 4 with the laminated display (anti-glare, better color), you simply don't understand that there is no going back. Apple made the entry level 9.7" iPad cheaper by eliminating the laminated display and opting for the old technology, thick, glossy, (lots of glare), glass + display, this year adding pencil support to the touch tech. While the iPad Air 2 had the laminated display back in 2014, followed by the Mini 4 (and iPad Pro) in 2015, no iPad should be going back to 2013 display tech.

Problem is, most people either haven't seen the difference because they've not had an iPad with laminated display or they don't care about glare and color quality.
  • Reply 55 of 61
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    christopher126 said:
    P.S. Anyone else notice the iOS Apple Podcast App now has a 15 second rewind button on the left side and the new 30" advance button on the RH side. This is why I love Apple, incremental, smart improvements. :)
    Heh... while other apps have had that for years, and even the ability to adjust how big the jumps for each are. And, unfortunately, Apple's Podcast app made a bunch of backward steps too... so it's more like 2 steps forward, 10 back.

christopher126 said:
    Hmmm...whatever the future of 'computing' is, I think it's safe to say, it's something closer to the iPad than the Mac. 
    Sorry.
    For the masses, who mostly consume content? Or, for the content creators?
    I guess my argument there would be that something more akin to a desktop is a form-factor more closely matched to the task of content creation. If so, then an iPad will never be as good of content creation device.

The difference is that an iPad would have always been a great device for the masses, but that wasn't possible when a computer was the size of a room, or even a pretty large 'box.'

Hmmm, after reading all the above posts... I may give my SE and my iPad Mini to my GF and get a new iPhone XR.
    I don't think if you love the iPad mini, the XR is going to be a great replacement.

Absolutely... same for the iPhone SE. If Apple doesn't continue the mini, or iPhone SE... it isn't because it is hard/costly to do so. It would be because they made some kind of ideological decision to do so.

13485 said:
    I don't use the content creation tools very much I would like to, as I find the iPad Air 2 too slow and unresponsive, and tools like Numbers and even Excel way too clumsy, weird and tedious. For me the iOS simulacra tools don't do it. That being said, it doesn't mean others shouldn't have the tools available to them. It's not like they're in the way or anything. And they're not heavy. 
    Oh for sure... it isn't so much a matter of can/can't do, but of the right/best tool for the job. You *could* do CAD on an iPhone, but a desktop with 27"+ monitor will always be a better way to do it, etc.

muthuk_vanalingam said:
    Yeah, unfortunately I'd be even more furious if it went away totally. It's kind of like the iPhone SE. I'm not happy Apple hasn't made it in feature-parity with the other iPhones, but I'm also happier I have one than don't have one at all.

benji888 said:
    If you haven't had the Mini 4 with the laminated display (anti-glare, better color), you simply don't understand that there is no going back. Apple made the entry level 9.7" iPad cheaper by eliminating the laminated display and opting for the old technology, thick, glossy, (lots of glare), glass + display, this year adding pencil support to the touch tech. While the iPad Air 2 had the laminated display back in 2014, followed by the Mini 4 (and iPad Pro) in 2015, no iPad should be going back to 2013 display tech.

Problem is, most people either haven't seen the difference because they've not had an iPad with laminated display or they don't care about glare and color quality.
    Hmm... maybe I just haven't looked closely enough. But, I had an iPad 2, and my wife and son both had mini 2. Now they have iPad mini 3 and 4, and I can't say I noticed the difference (though I'm not using them daily). I'm sure you're right that there is a difference, I'm just questioning how much. I was thinking of getting a base iPad soon... so now you have me wondering and wanting to take a closer look.
  • Reply 56 of 61
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    cgWerks said:
    benji888 said:

Hmm... maybe I just haven't looked closely enough. But, I had an iPad 2, and my wife and son both had mini 2. Now they have iPad mini 3 and 4, and I can't say I noticed the difference (though I'm not using them daily). I'm sure you're right that there is a difference, I'm just questioning how much. I was thinking of getting a base iPad soon... so now you have me wondering and wanting to take a closer look.
    Well, benji888 is right. I have seen and used both (mini 2 and 4) and I can tell that, to my eyes, the difference in display quality is pretty big. It
    would be a large step back if Apple downgrades the excellent display that the mini 4 has for three years already. Unless this is an entry level model and they offer also a pro variant of the mini with an even better display than the current one, like the actual pro models (with the corresponding premium of course). Without bezels such a model would easily go up to 8.5", or even more, which would be a noticeable difference from the 7.9" of today's mini. I think there is a slim chance to see two mini models coexisting but with this kind of differentiation (plus other features from the pro models) perhaps it is not impossible.
  • Reply 57 of 61
    pb said:
    Well, benji888 is right. I have seen and used both (mini 2 and 4) and I can tell that, to my eyes, the difference in display quality is pretty big.
    Retina vs non-retina, right? But, I guess I mean without having them both side-by-side, I'm having trouble remembering the quality (retina aside) being that dramatically different. But, again, we had them in succession, not so much in side-by-side use.
  • Reply 58 of 61
    Apple has no love for the iPad Mini!  The Mini 3 had the A8 with 1GB in 2014?  In 2015, Mini 5 was release with same A8 but Apple doubled the RAM to 2GB.  It is going on 2019 and we are still have the iPhone 6 A8 inside still!  No love!
    edited November 2018 cgWerks
  • Reply 59 of 61
    Out of desperation, I am forced to buy a new Mini 4 (2015)!  Not happy about buying a 4 year old technology at the end of 2018 for $399!  A8 SoC and 2GB of LPDDR3 inside!  Yuk!  But not alternative!  Thanks Apple! :#  
    cgWerks
  • Reply 60 of 61
    Apple has no love for the iPad Mini!  The Mini 3 had the A8 with 1GB in 2014?  In 2015, Mini 5 was release with same A8 but Apple doubled the RAM to 2GB.  It is going on 2019 and we are still have the iPhone 6 A8 inside still!  No love!
    Out of desperation, I am forced to buy a new Mini 4 (2015)!  Not happy about buying a 4 year old technology at the end of 2018 for $399!  A8 SoC and 2GB of LPDDR3 inside!  Yuk!  But not alternative!  Thanks Apple! :#  
    Yeah, I hear you. They have gone bonkers with this 'bigger screen = better' thing. :disappointed:
    I sometimes wonder if anyone there is actually thinking 'use case' any longer.

On the bright side, my son's mini 4 still works OK, and seems to perform adequately. And, I think much of Apple's product line has 2GB of RAM, so unless you start to feel the slower speed (compared to newer models), I'm guessing it will be compatible for some time yet with new iOS releases.

But, yeah... it's pretty braindead stupid. I'm hoping it will someday get another refresh like the Mac mini, as well as the iPhone SE. I don't think they've said they are dead products. That seems to be an assumption.

But, I know what you mean when you have to buy one now, then you do. Frustrating. My luck has too often been that right after I do, that's when they introduce the new model. So, I'm excited - for once - that I didn't have to buy something and can now finally get a Mac mini I'm pretty happy with.