Early iPhone XR reviews praise performance & battery life

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 58
    guscat said:
    Soli said:
    It amazes me that Apple can offer such a great device for people not wanting to dish out four figures for an iPhone that isn't using last year's A-series chip and these asshats and trolls still find reasons to say how many it and Apple sucks.

saltyzip said:
    georgie01 said:
    If I still had my iPhone 7 I’d upgrade to the XR probably without hestitation. The whole talk about resolution and the XR not being 1080p is pointless—it’s nothing more than a semi-legitimate sounding complaint against Apple delivered simply for the sake of complaining about Apple. The most outstanding aspects of my XS display are the colour and blacks. The higher resolution is only an extremely small benefit.
    Would you buy a TV that wasn't at least full hd in 2018? Of course you wouldn't, so why buy a phone at £750 that wasn't either? Why compromise with downscaled videos etc. ?
    TV and phone completely different things. 720 on an LCD screen is perfectly fine. You didn't see people complaining about 720 on the iPhone 8. You wouldn't even be able to tell the difference between a 1080 and 720 video on your phone with an LCD display. Speaking of TV's, you do realize most channels are broadcast in 720p. 
    So the XR not 1080p because 720p is “perfectly fine”? Since when has Apple ever been about being just fine? I’m not someone into spec whoring but 1080p seems to be the standard on phones these days. For me a bigger question is why the XR offers a 128GB option but the XS and XS Max do not. Honestly the XS line should be 128 > 256 > 512.
    “Honestly” no it shouldn’t. I ordered the 64gb X because with iCloud music and photos, I simply don’t need as much local storage anymore. Why would I want to pay for a larger tier if I don’t need it?

Where did I say you need to pay for a larger tier? I said I think the current XS 64GB entry level tier should be 128GB.
    You just said it there, unless you're say that Apple should be required to double the capacity for free, which would be an even more ridiculous statement.
    The XS storage options are still stupid. If you say you don’t even need 64GB who the heck needs 512GB?

So your argument is that if @StrangeDays is fine with 64 GB since he uses a lot of cloud storage it means that no one ever use more than 64 GB?

128GB is the sweet spot yet Apple doesn’t offer it I’m sure assuming/hoping users will opt for 256GB rather than 64GB and thus increasing revenues & ASPs.

If that's a sweet spot for you then get the 128 GB iPhone XR. For me, I'm in the same boat as @StrangeDays so 64 GB is more than enough for at least the next couple years. Why you believe that no one wants 64 GB, that everyone needs 128 GB, and that 512 GB shouldn't exist is even one person is fine with 64 GB is sounds fucking nuts. You have capacity options of 32, 64, 128, 256, and 512 GB of storage….but all you do is bitch that's it's both not enough options and too many options. JFC, man.

I believe a lot of phone snobs can't imagine that anyone would want something other than the exact phone with the exact specs they want. I also think they like showing off how much more incisive and refined their sensibilities are than the rest of us.

BTW, I have a X with 64GB, and I am more than happy with that. I'd be wasting anything else.
    Well you’re the perfect customer for Apple as you’ll happily pay more for less.
  • Reply 42 of 58
    saltyzip said:
    georgie01 said:
    If I still had my iPhone 7 I’d upgrade to the XR probably without hestitation. The whole talk about resolution and the XR not being 1080p is pointless—it’s nothing more than a semi-legitimate sounding complaint against Apple delivered simply for the sake of complaining about Apple. The most outstanding aspects of my XS display are the colour and blacks. The higher resolution is only an extremely small benefit.
    Would you buy a TV that wasn't at least full hd in 2018? Of course you wouldn't, so why buy a phone at £750 that wasn't either? Why compromise with downscaled videos etc. ?
    TV and phone completely different things. 720 on an LCD screen is perfectly fine. You didn't see people complaining about 720 on the iPhone 8. You wouldn't even be able to tell the difference between a 1080 and 720 video on your phone with an LCD display. Speaking of TV's, you do realize most channels are broadcast in 720p. 
    So the XR not 1080p because 720p is “perfectly fine”? Since when has Apple ever been about being just fine? I’m not someone into spec whoring but 1080p seems to be the standard on phones these days. For me a bigger question is why the XR offers a 128GB option but the XS and XS Max do not. Honestly the XS line should be 128 > 256 > 512.
    “Honestly” no it shouldn’t. I ordered the 64gb X because with iCloud music and photos, I simply don’t need as much local storage anymore. Why would I want to pay for a larger tier if I don’t need it?

Where did I say you need to pay for a larger tier? I said I think the current XS 64GB entry level tier should be 128GB. For some reason with the XR Apple decided to offer the sweet spot. The XS storage options are still stupid. If you say you don’t even need 64GB who the heck needs 512GB? 128GB is the sweet spot yet Apple doesn’t offer it I’m sure assuming/hoping users will opt for 256GB rather than 64GB and thus increasing revenues & ASPs.
    You said the XS should start at 128gb. Are you suggesting if Apple doubled (again) the entry-level model storage that customers would not be paying for it? Were you born in an alternative dimension?

Yeah no. 64gb is a great entry-level tier. I don’t want to pay more for more. 
    iPhone 6s started at $649 for 16GB. iPhone 7 started at the same price but storage was bumped to 32GB. Somehow Apple managed that and the world didn’t end and their financials and stock price didn’t collapse. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 43 of 58
    saltyzip said:
    georgie01 said:
    For me it completely has to do with the fact that I don't rely on my phone as my source of high end movies and videos.  As long as I can tell what the gif is and watch the occasional show on netflix while waiting somewhere I'm good.  

Considering I'm moving up from the 6 to the Xr I don't expect to miss out on any features.  Sure compared to every other poster here I'm the exception, but for the vast majority of people who don't upgrade their phone every year but only when they actually start to see performance issues this Xr is perfect.  Gives me all the power and speed of the latest and greatest and all I give up are 3D touch (which I don't have now) and some deeper colors (which I don't have now) and save $250 per phone.  I'm happy with it, if Fiday would just get here already!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 58
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Soli said:
    It amazes me that Apple can offer such a great device for people not wanting to dish out four figures for an iPhone that isn't using last year's A-series chip and these asshats and trolls still find reasons to say how many it and Apple sucks.

saltyzip said:
    georgie01 said:

Where did I say you need to pay for a larger tier? I said I think the current XS 64GB entry level tier should be 128GB.
    You just said it there, unless you're say that Apple should be required to double the capacity for free, which would be an even more ridiculous statement.
    The XS storage options are still stupid. If you say you don’t even need 64GB who the heck needs 512GB?

So your argument is that if @StrangeDays is fine with 64 GB since he uses a lot of cloud storage it means that no one ever use more than 64 GB?

128GB is the sweet spot yet Apple doesn’t offer it I’m sure assuming/hoping users will opt for 256GB rather than 64GB and thus increasing revenues & ASPs.

If that's a sweet spot for you then get the 128 GB iPhone XR. For me, I'm in the same boat as @StrangeDays so 64 GB is more than enough for at least the next couple years. Why you believe that no one wants 64 GB, that everyone needs 128 GB, and that 512 GB shouldn't exist is even one person is fine with 64 GB is sounds fucking nuts. You have capacity options of 32, 64, 128, 256, and 512 GB of storage….but all you do is bitch that's it's both not enough options and too many options. JFC, man.

The X is the most expensive phone Apple has ever shipped.
    No it's not.

Can you explain why the XR and XS don’t have the same storage options?
    Of course.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 58
    thttht Posts: 5,437member
    Madtiger said:
    One thing to remember...Xr has 720p LCD screen.
    The iPhone XR does not have a 720p display. Please don’t repeat it. I know you are making the point of OLED Pentile displays having lower color reproduction density than their advertised resolution would indicate, but you shouldn’t repeat this weird thought that the XR has a 720p display. The XR display has a resolution of 1792x828, or about 60% more pixels than a 720p display has.

If someone wants to have 1920x1080 display (or 2160x1080, or 2340x1080, whatever high aspect ratio is wanted), they should get a phone with it. The Engadget reviewer said that he wanted a higher res display, but he at least said the right thing that the differences will be negligible for the vast majority of the market. It’s the same PPI as all previous non-Plus phones going back the 4.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 58
    Soli said:
    Soli said:

saltyzip said:
    georgie01 said:

No it's not.

Of course.

The X isn’t the most expensive phone Apple has shipped (and don’t give me a comparison of the highest prices sku of a previous model compared to the cheapest X sku)? Do tell. And the XS doesn’t offer 128GB because?
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 47 of 58
    Soli said:
    Soli said:

saltyzip said:
    georgie01 said:

No it's not.

Of course.

The X isn’t the most expensive phone Apple has shipped (and don’t give me a comparison of the highest prices sku of a previous model compared to the cheapest X sku)? Do tell. And the XS doesn’t offer 128GB because?
    1) The 512 GB XS Max is the most expensive iPhone Apple offers, not last year’s iPhone X. The real
    question why do you care? Nokia sold cheap-ass phones and owned Vertu for ridiculously priced dumb phones. This notion that you feel slighted by Apple because the most expensive model (that you don’t need) is out of your price range despite you being such a loyal customer all these years is a ridiculous exclamation of entitlement.

2) The XS doesn’t have 128 GB for the same reason the XR doesn’t offer 32 GB or 512 GB… APPLE FUCKING CHOOSE NOT TO OFFER THAT CAPACITY! But, hey, if you feel there is a class action lawsuit you can win because you think Apple is being anti-competitive then go ahead and file in the Eastern district of Texas.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 58
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,874member
    saltyzip said:
    georgie01 said:

Where did I say you need to pay for a larger tier? I said I think the current XS 64GB entry level tier should be 128GB. For some reason with the XR Apple decided to offer the sweet spot. The XS storage options are still stupid. If you say you don’t even need 64GB who the heck needs 512GB? 128GB is the sweet spot yet Apple doesn’t offer it I’m sure assuming/hoping users will opt for 256GB rather than 64GB and thus increasing revenues & ASPs.
    You said the XS should start at 128gb. Are you suggesting if Apple doubled (again) the entry-level model storage that customers would not be paying for it? Were you born in an alternative dimension?

iPhone 6s started at $649 for 16GB. iPhone 7 started at the same price but storage was bumped to 32GB. Somehow Apple managed that and the world didn’t end and their financials and stock price didn’t collapse. 
    Your position boils down to “I want free stuff and Apple can afford to”. It’s pretty clear you don’t and haven’t run a business. It just doesn’t work that way. Some (including Buffet) argue the price of the iPhone is too low based on the value received and the willingness to buy. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 58
    Soli said:No it's not.
    1) The 512 GB XS Max is the most expensive iPhone Apple offers, not last year’s iPhone X. The real
    question why do you care? Nokia sold cheap-ass phones and owned Vertu for ridiculously priced dumb phones. This notion that you feel slighted by Apple because the most expensive model (that you don’t need) is out of your price range despite you being such a loyal customer all these years is a ridiculous exclamation of entitlement.

2) The XS doesn’t have 128 GB for the same reason the XR doesn’t offer 32 GB or 512 GB… APPLE FUCKING CHOOSE NOT TO OFFER THAT CAPACITY! But, hey, if you feel there is a class action lawsuit you can win because you think Apple is being anti-competitive then go ahead and file in the Eastern district of Texas.
    The OP’s questions about how and why Apple decided to offer what they have this year with the XSs and XR are really rhetorical questions since they (Apple) are very deliberate in their strategy for selling product, but these retorts to those questions are among the dumbest I’ve read.  

Apple IS undeniably working to increase ASP of the iPhone (they believe it will yield the best ROI). For many years Apple has offered its flagship phones at high prices but they were obtainable and apparently, by measure of their success, seemed appropriate for the value received. You use this straw man attack and say OP feels slighted as a loyal customer...dude, Apple’s new phone are freaking expensive, full stop. (for vast majority of people). No indication that OP felt Apple owed him something...just that Apple would improve the value proposition.

And genius insight on how Apple chose storage capacity for the new phones - it added a lot to the discussion.

Some people, maybe OP, believe Apple is somehow benevolent; in my youth I used to. Could be because this is how Apple portrays itself - they are the good guys.  But, they are not the good guys, they are a corporation. And corporations exist to generate profit.  So, no surprise that they keep pushing prices higher...as long as people are willing to pay, this will continue.

So, to those that lament Apple’s current offerings, simply don’t buy...if enough people feel this way, then maybe something better will come along.
    avon b7rogifan_new
  • Reply 50 of 58

The OP’s questions about how and why Apple decided to offer what they have this year with the XSs and XR are really rhetorical questions since they (Apple) are very deliberate in their strategy for selling product, but these retorts to those questions are among the dumbest I’ve read.  

Apple IS undeniably working to increase ASP of the iPhone (they believe it will yield the best ROI). For many years Apple has offered its flagship phones at high prices but they were obtainable and apparently, by measure of their success, seemed appropriate for the value received. You use this straw man attack and say OP feels slighted as a loyal customer...dude, Apple’s new phone are freaking expensive, full stop. (for vast majority of people). No indication that OP felt Apple owed him something...just that Apple would improve the value proposition.

And genius insight on how Apple chose storage capacity for the new phones - it added a lot to the discussion.

Some people, maybe OP, believe Apple is somehow benevolent; in my youth I used to. Could be because this is how Apple portrays itself - they are the good guys.  But, they are not the good guys, they are a corporation. And corporations exist to generate profit.  So, no surprise that they keep pushing prices higher...as long as people are willing to pay, this will continue.

So, to those that lament Apple’s current offerings, simply don’t buy...if enough people feel this way, then maybe something better will come along.
    Of course they are a profitable corporation.  I appreciate Apple in how they do business.  It is up front.  I see the prices.  I choose to buy or not buy.  I appreciate their ecosystem because it provides several entertainment avenues...at a cost of their hardware...again, up front.  I appreciate their customer service and long-standing hardware support that comes with the relatively high price i pay up front.  I appreciate that their hardware also carries very good resale value due to their long-standing support of their hardware...which consequently makes the relatively high initial price easier to swallow.

But if none of above is your cup of tea, then there are plenty of hardware being offered on Android/Windows side where initial lower hardware cost comes with minimal aftersale support, piss poor resale value, and hidden cost (personal data being siphoned to Google or 3rd party).

But yeah, continue to moan the high initial cost of Apple...no one is holding a gun to your head to choose Apple.
    Soliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 58

They weren't rhetorical as he repeatedly asked them.

Apple IS undeniably working to increase ASP of the iPhone (they believe it will yield the best ROI).
    What's that? A company wants to sell as many units as possible to help shrink think R&D and component cost per unit to help increase their ASP. I'll file that under No Shit, Sherlock.

It's common sense, which is why the non-rhetorical questions shouldn't have been asked in the first 

1) No, he doesn't. Did you not read his comments? He thinks they're evil and greedy for making expensive changes to their devices to help sell to a majority that will maximize their units sales, revenue, and profits.

2) A for-profit company can be benevolent, which is just well meaning, which taking an entitled stance to state to think that means they need to give you stuff for free. Benevolent ≠ altruistic, and to assume that any multi-national corporation is altruistic is ridiculous.

3) How does Apple portray itself? An example one might consider is Apple's "green" initiative. It is to help the environment but it's also to help sales. Does anyone actually believe Tim Cook is for child slaves mining cobalt in Africa? They make demands of suppliers and their supplier's suppliers to keep this from happening… but I'm sure they can do better. Or, take security. Does anyone think Apple doesn't want your data to be safe, but only does it because it's only good for business? None of this means Apple can't do more and they surely will as time goes on (just like all these big tech companies) but there is also a cost issue that limits some of their effort. If it costs 10x the amount to make their security 0.01% more effective they surely won't do it, but if you think that's Apple is "the bad guy," like they're operating from some remote island island volcano with a skull carved into the side then you're being foolish to have swung from one silly extreme to the other since your youth. For-profit ≠ evil.

Now that is a reasonable statement. Rogifan doesn't like what Apple is offering, then she shouldn't buy it.

Personally, Im still on an iPhone 7 Plus because I'm no longer a heavy iPhone (because of the Apple Watch) and if an when I need a new smartphone I'll get whatever is the best brand and model for my needs…. and that has nothing to do with Apple. While it will likely be an iPhone I would gladly switch to another company if they better suit my needs. I owe nothing to Apple and they owe nothing to me.

edited October 2018 watto_cobramuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 52 of 58
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:

saltyzip said:
    georgie01 said:

No it's not.

Of course.

Oh for gods sake you knew what I meant when I said the X is the most expensive phone Apple shipped. It was last year and now it’s successor the XS is the most expensive. And when did I ever say any iPhone was out of my price range? Quote me where I said that. Of course you can’t because I didn’t. 

As far as point number 2 saying because Apple chose not to isn’t an answer. Apple doesn’t just do things for the heck of it. They have reasons.
  • Reply 53 of 58

saltyzip said:
    georgie01 said:

Your position boils down to “I want free stuff and Apple can afford to”. It’s pretty clear you don’t and haven’t run a business. It just doesn’t work that way. Some (including Buffet) argue the price of the iPhone is too low based on the value received and the willingness to buy. 
    So when Apple introduced the 32GB iPhone 7 at the same price as the 16GB 6S was that Apple giving us free stuff? Do you think the iPad announced at that education event this year is too cheap? Honestly if you think you’re not paying Apple enough money go ahead and send a check to Tim Cook.
  • Reply 54 of 58

I’ll admit they are mostly rhetorical questions. It seems pretty clear with slowing sales growth Apple’s business model is to raise prices to what they feel the market will bear. If they can’t increase sales growth at least they’re growing revenues and ASPs. We’ll see how long they can keep doing it. I had an X and loved it. I have an XS right now and love it. I still think Apple’s storage offerings are a rip off but I have no interest in Android so iPhone it is,
  • Reply 55 of 58
    Madtiger said:

Of course they are a profitable corporation.  I appreciate Apple in how they do business.  It is up front.  I see the prices.  I choose to buy or not buy.  I appreciate their ecosystem because it provides several entertainment avenues...at a cost of their hardware...again, up front.  I appreciate their customer service and long-standing hardware support that comes with the relatively high price i pay up front.  I appreciate that their hardware also carries very good resale value due to their long-standing support of their hardware...which consequently makes the relatively high initial price easier to swallow.

But if none of above is your cup of tea, then there are plenty of hardware being offered on Android/Windows side where initial lower hardware cost comes with minimal aftersale support, piss poor resale value, and hidden cost (personal data being siphoned to Google or 3rd party).

But yeah, continue to moan the high initial cost of Apple...no one is holding a gun to your head to choose Apple.
    I see nothing wrong with saying hey Apple love your products but I think your storage pricing options need to be revisited. I’m certainly not the only one who feels this way. Heck the first few paragraphs of John Gruber’s XR review was all about storage options and which option (between the XR and XS) was the best value for the money. His conclusion was the 128GB XR. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to say the XS should offer a 128GB model or even better that the base model should be 128GB not 64GB. Samsung’s $999 Galaxy Note 9 starts at 128GB. Gruber was also a frequent critic of the base storage staying at 16GB for so long as well as going from 16 > 64 instead of 32 > 64. Of course it’s obvious why Apple didn’t do that. They want the upsell. Apple analyst Neil Cybart once estimated that leaving the base storage at 16GB was worth over $3B to Apple. For the most part I love my Apple products but never once did I think I wasn’t paying enough for them. It baffles me that anyone thinks they should be even more expensive.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 56 of 58

I’ll admit they are mostly rhetorical questions. It seems pretty clear with slowing sales growth Apple’s business model is to raise prices to what they feel the market will bear. If they can’t increase sales growth at least they’re growing revenues and ASPs. We’ll see how long they can keep doing it. I had an X and loved it. I have an XS right now and love it. I still think Apple’s storage offerings are a rip off but I have no interest in Android so iPhone it is,
    Well, last year, analysts say the same...lets see how long they can raise ASP...surely, this year, Xs (non-Max) will be cheaper than X (per numerous rumors, even Kuo i think).  Nope.  Xs costs the same...and apparently selling by the buttloads!  Couldn’t be done they say...and look at where we’re at today.  

The question i have is...why do we all expect prices to stay the same?  For example, let’s look at cars.  Does a 2019 Toyota Camry cost the same as a 2018 Camry?  No.   And a lot of the time, there are not even any changes to a car from year to year, yet prices go up by $500 or more.

Comparing Xs to X, Apple improved slightly the display, improved slightly the speakers, made HUGE improvement to the camera with new hardware and software, and made HUGE improvement to the processor.........YET, kept the prices the exactly the same!!  Who does that?!  

Does OnePlus (the Walmart of smartphones) keep prices the same from year to year?  Does Samsung?  Does Pixel??

Answer: No.  No.  No.  YET, some here complain endlessly about Apple prices...and yet Apple is the ONLY one that have kept prices the same from last year despite HUGE improvement overall to the phone!

In fact, i would argue that Apple was quite generous in keeping Xs prices the same as X!!!  
    edited October 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 57 of 58
    Madtiger said:

Well, last year, analysts say the same...lets see how long they can raise ASP...surely, this year, Xs (non-Max) will be cheaper than X (per numerous rumors, even Kuo i think).  Nope.  Xs costs the same...and apparently selling by the buttloads!  Couldn’t be done they say...and look at where we’re at today.  

The question i have is...why do we all expect prices to stay the same?  For example, let’s look at cars.  Does a 2019 Toyota Camry cost the same as a 2018 Camry?  No.   And a lot of the time, there are not even any changes to a car from year to year, yet prices go up by $500 or more.

Comparing Xs to X, Apple improved slightly the display, improved slightly the speakers, made HUGE improvement to the camera with new hardware and software, and made HUGE improvement to the processor.........YET, kept the prices the exactly the same!!  Who does that?!  

Does OnePlus (the Walmart of smartphones) keep prices the same from year to year?  Does Samsung?  Does Pixel??

Answer: No.  No.  No.  YET, some here complain endlessly about Apple prices...and yet Apple is the ONLY one that have kept prices the same from last year despite HUGE improvement overall to the phone!

In fact, i would argue that Apple was quite generous in keeping Xs prices the same as X!!!  
    What are the HUGE improvements between the X and the XS?
  • Reply 58 of 58
    Madtiger said:

What are the HUGE improvements between the X and the XS?
    Uhhh, didn’t i say that in my post what the HUGE improvements are?