Apple issues invites to October 30 iPad Pro and Mac 'There's more in the making' event in ...

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 111
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,319member
    bkkcanuck said:
    Here is what I prognosticate ( and yes it is wishful thinking ).

- iPad Pro (pass; iPad is good enough for me). 
    - Mac mini (with some pro options; maybe a 'Mac' as the indicator for the pro Mac mini)
    - iMac updates
    - Macbook 12" update
    - MacBook Air replacement (including the non-touch bar MacBook Pros which will be retired).  not sure what they are going to be called or if the line will be a merger with the MacBook 12" line.
    - A new "low end" monitor (27" 5K; 32" 8K will be released in conjunction with Mac Pro
    - A preview of the Mac Pro (potentially) with the 32" 8K monitor.
    - Revision of Magic Keyboard and trackpads.

More wishful thinking but...
    What if iMac/iMacPro and display all merge in to one modular product line?

Front part just the display in maybe 3 sizes. 4k-21, 5k-27, 8K-32

Back part the guts plus stand or VESA mount.
    All the back parts the same footprint to work with the display panel but different thickness to suit.
    So from thinness to thickest.
    - Display with embedded AppleTV
    - iMac
    - Display with embedded eGPU
    - iMac Pro.
    - Display with eGPU socket (maybe pushing it)
    Retail boxes would be standard configuration.
    BTO could mix and match including selling upgrades as just the back with a box to return and recycle the old part.
  • Reply 102 of 111
    mattinoz said:

All the back parts the same footprint to work with the display panel but different thickness to suit.
    - iMac
    - iMac Pro.
    BTO could mix and match including selling upgrades as just the back with a box to return and recycle the old part.
    Cute idea, but I don't see Apple getting back into the display business any time soon.

If they did, then I'd expect it to be just a display with an integrated Apple TV; and then you either buy a Mac Mini or a Mac Pro to go with it.

Buuuut… as far as that goes you already have the iMac-line, and you have the Apple TV, and you have decent displays without the Apple brand.

Soooo… at the end of the day it comes down to business strategy, and as far as that goes it seems like Apple is straight up choking their own non-mobile businesses to death.

Days since the last update:
    Mac mini: 1467.
    Mac pro: 
  • Reply 103 of 111
    svanstrom said:
    mattinoz said:

- iMac
    - iMac Pro.
    Cute idea, but I don't see Apple getting back into the display business any time soon.

If they did, then I'd expect it to be just a display with an integrated Apple TV; and then you either buy a Mac Mini or a Mac Pro to go with it.

Buuuut… as far as that goes you already have the iMac-line, and you have the Apple TV, and you have decent displays without the Apple brand.

Soooo… at the end of the day it comes down to business strategy, and as far as that goes it seems like Apple is straight up choking their own non-mobile businesses to death.

Mac pro: 1769.
    No? They've already said they were getting back into the display business:

"In addition to the new iMac Pro, Apple is working on a completely redesigned, next-generation Mac Pro architected for pro customers who need the highest-end, high-throughput system in a modular design, as well as a new high-end pro display."

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2017/06/imac-pro-most-powerful-mac-arrives-december/
  • Reply 104 of 111
    svanstrom said:
    mattinoz said:

- iMac
    - iMac Pro.

"In addition to the new iMac Pro, Apple is working on a completely redesigned, next-generation Mac Pro architected for pro customers who need the highest-end, high-throughput system in a modular design, as well as a new high-end pro display."

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2017/06/imac-pro-most-powerful-mac-arrives-december/
    That's the “iMac-line” though.

At least in my head that's a completely different beast than what a more separate display-line of products (modular or not) would be. Sorry if what's going on in my head made what I actual wrote a bit unclear. :smile: 
  • Reply 105 of 111
    svanstrom said:
    mattinoz said:

- iMac
    - iMac Pro.

That COULD be interpreted to mean that Apple plans to INCORPORATE a "new high-end pro display" in the iMac and/or Mac Pro. It may NOT mean Apple plans to sell a new stand-alone monitor.

I suspect Apple does plan to offer a stand-alone monitor, but based only on the wording of the statement it's at least possible they meant something else.
  • Reply 106 of 111
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    svanstrom said:
    svanstrom said:
    mattinoz said:

- iMac
    - iMac Pro.

At least in my head that's a completely different beast than what a more separate display-line of products (modular or not) would be. Sorry if what's going on in my head made what I actual wrote a bit unclear. :smile: 
    svanstrom said:
    mattinoz said:

- iMac
    - iMac Pro.

That COULD be interpreted to mean that Apple plans to INCORPORATE a "new high-end pro display" in the iMac and/or Mac Pro. It may NOT mean Apple plans to sell a new stand-alone monitor.

I suspect Apple does plan to offer a stand-alone monitor, but based only on the wording of the statement it's at least possible they meant something else.
    Sorry, maybe your first language isn’t English? It says very plainly, “In addition to the new iMac Pro” meaning separate from.

Modular in this context, despite speculation by others, I think indicates a headless Mac Pro and a separate monitor as that would be the most logical assumption. Why would the Mac Pro have a built-in display? That’s the iMac. 
  • Reply 107 of 111
    svanstrom said:
    svanstrom said:
    mattinoz said:

- iMac
    - iMac Pro.

svanstrom said:
    mattinoz said:

- iMac
    - iMac Pro.

Sorry, maybe your first language isn’t English? It says very plainly, “In addition to the new iMac Pro” meaning separate from.

Modular in this context, despite speculation by others, I think indicates a headless Mac Pro and a separate monitor as that would be the most logical assumption. Why would the Mac Pro have a built-in display? That’s the iMac. 
    My English is just fine, thank you. Perhaps you overlooked how the description of the display does not specify that it's a discrete device. They could be saying that iMacs will be getting better displays. Probably not, but the wording allows for that interpretation.

As for why Apple would incorporate a display in the Mac Pro when they already have an iMac, I draw your attention to discussions some years ago about why Apple would compromise the MacBook Pro just to make it thinner when they already had the MacBook Air. Again, it seems unlikely, but who knows what goes through executive heads in Cupertino.

This entire conversation is completely pedantic, of course. It seems pretty likely that Apple intends to produce a monitor. We just don't know for sure, and probably won't until the middle of next year.
  • Reply 108 of 111
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,319member
    svanstrom said:
    mattinoz said:

- iMac
    - iMac Pro.

Mac pro: 
    To me the situation with the Mac Pro is fairly simple in that it is a trade between heat and noise. Want masses of grunt get lots of noise.
    The newishMacPro tried to tackle it by being clever with airflow but then put limits on the grunt. As Apple have said they backed the wrong workflow.

The other tactic would be to move grunt along way but cable length becomes an issue unless you can reduce bandwidth. If Apple go for that tactic they have to show it works so either a branded display, branded +30m Thunderbolt cable (optic fibre internal) and the new modular system. Or some from of certified hardware system for the display and cable. Apple want the brand near eyeballs not in an airconditioned sound insulated cupboard.

So they need a Display for business marketing reasons if they want the mMacPro to get more powerful or flexible.
    Adds upsell to macbooks as a bonus. 
  • Reply 109 of 111
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    svanstrom said:
    svanstrom said:
    mattinoz said:

- iMac
    - iMac Pro.

svanstrom said:
    mattinoz said:

- iMac
    - iMac Pro.

My English is just fine, thank you. Perhaps you overlooked how the description of the display does not specify that it's a discrete device. They could be saying that iMacs will be getting better displays. Probably not, but the wording allows for that interpretation.

As for why Apple would incorporate a display in the Mac Pro when they already have an iMac, I draw your attention to discussions some years ago about why Apple would compromise the MacBook Pro just to make it thinner when they already had the MacBook Air. Again, it seems unlikely, but who knows what goes through executive heads in Cupertino.

This entire conversation is completely pedantic, of course. It seems pretty likely that Apple intends to produce a monitor. We just don't know for sure, and probably won't until the middle of next year.
    Lol okay. It was mostly aimed at Svanstrom who didn't seem to notice they were talking about two different Macs. I do draw your attention to the "as well as"—— never mind. They literally say they're making a display and you're grasping at straws to argue how it's not a display. Have it your way. :)
  • Reply 110 of 111
    [...] They literally say they're making a display and you're grasping at straws to argue how it's not a display.
    Oh, no no no, that's not what I mean at all. It's very clear Apple is building a new display. I'm grasping at linguistic straws to make the pointless argument that the wording leaves open the unlikely possibility of the display being part of a computer rather than a stand-alone monitor in the traditional sense.

I don't actually think that's what's going to happen, it's just fun to pick apart what Apple wrote to see if there are hidden clues.

Personally I'm very much looking forward to a new Apple monitor. I'm going to need a couple monitors for a little edit suite in the next few months and was thinking maybe I should wait for Apple's new model. Then I remembered the reference to "high-end" and realized they'll probably be positioned well above what my meagre needs and budget can justify!
  • Reply 111 of 111
    [...] They literally say they're making a display and you're grasping at straws to argue how it's not a display.
    Oh, no no no, that's not what I mean at all. It's very clear Apple is building a new display. I'm grasping at linguistic straws to make the pointless argument that the wording leaves open the unlikely possibility of the display being part of a computer rather than a stand-alone monitor in the traditional sense.

I don't actually think that's what's going to happen, it's just fun to pick apart what Apple wrote to see if there are hidden clues.

Personally I'm very much looking forward to a new Apple monitor. I'm going to need a couple monitors for a little edit suite in the next few months and was thinking maybe I should wait for Apple's new model. Then I remembered the reference to "high-end" and realized they'll probably be positioned well above what my meagre needs and budget can justify!
    Ah, gotcha. See, I've been arguing with people who are in complete denial of the mini rumors, and even funnier, one person on 9to5 — who I think might be the (now-banned here thankfully) Tallest Skil —  who claims there haven't been even any rumors of a new Mac Pro even in the face of the TechCrunch article from earlier this year outlining how they're developing one. I thought you were being one of those people. :)