iOS 12.1 beta confirms Face ID on iPad Pro, will work in both landscape and portrait modes...

Posted:
in iPad edited October 2018
A string of code unearthed in the latest iOS 12.1 beta offers instructions to set up Face ID authentication on iPad, seemingly confirming integration of the technology in an iPad Pro refresh expected for unveiling next week.

2018 iPad Pro
Purported render of Apple's next-generation iPad Pro.

Shared in a tweet by 9to5Mac's Guilherme Rambo, the iOS code snippet provides parameters for using Face ID on iPad.

Specifically, the code appears to be an excerpt from Apple's initial iOS device setup process, and calls for users to "Lift and Rotate iPad" into portrait mode to configure Face ID.

"Face ID needs to be in portrait to learn how to recognize you. After Face ID has been set up, it will work in portrait and landscape."

An option to "Set up Later in Settings" is also provided.

Rumors of a Face ID-equipped iPad Pro have circulated for nearly a year, as analysts and insiders predicted Apple to build its latest biometric security technology into the flagship tablet. In July, an initial iOS 12 beta build included iPad-specific tools for creating and using Animoji and Memoji, avatar features exclusive to the TrueDepth camera system that underpins Face ID.

More recent rumblings hinted at multi-orientation support for Face ID, as seen in today's code discovery, while rumors earlier this month suggest the slate will feature a new magnetic connector.

Apple is widely expected to launch revamped iPad Pro models at a special event in New York on Oct. 30. The new slates are rumored to come in 12.9- and 11-inch sizes, and feature a full-face design with reduced bezels thanks to Face ID integration. A second-generation Apple Pencil is also anticipated.

AppleInsider will be attending Apple's "There's more in the making" event on Oct 30th, where we expect new iPad Pros, and maybe even new Macs! Keep up with our coverage by downloading the AppleInsider app for iOS, and follow us on YouTube, Twitter @appleinsider and Facebook for live, late-breaking coverage. You can also check out our official Instagram account for exclusive photos.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,415member
    Why can't iPhone do the same as well? Sometimes I pick the iPhone the landscape mode. I don't see any technical reasons why it cannot be done.  
    netmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 21
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    netrox said:
    Why can't iPhone do the same as well? Sometimes I pick the iPhone the landscape mode. I don't see any technical reasons why it cannot be done.  
    I don’t know, but given iPad is used it both orientations the hardware sensors could be different. 
    edited October 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 21
    netrox said:
    As I understand it has to do with the coverage angle of the dot projector. A couple of possibilities: maybe there two TrueDepth systems on the iPad Pro, one on the long edge for landscape and one on the short edge for portrait. Or maybe one TrueDepth camera but two dot projectors, with one aimed at a different angle, or possibly rotated 90° wrt the other. Since there is no notch they have more flexibility with component placement; they don’t need to be grouped close together like on the iPhone.
    edited October 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 21
    $90 billion quarter coming up.
    tmaychasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 21
    I’m all for removing the home button to make way for additional screen space, but I’m skeptical that Face ID is the best way to login.  It’s a matter of “mechanics” — the iPad often sits on a desk or lap where people often turn it on, it’s not directly facing the users face.  The iPhone is smaller and easier to turn towards your face to login.  It’s a subtle thing, but kind of a nuisance.  Maybe it’s just my pet peeve.  

I’d probably get one nevertheless.  It’s too bad your hand can’t be used as biometric authentication instead of the face.  Or can it??
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 21
    drewys808 said:
    I’m all for removing the home button to make way for additional screen space, but I’m skeptical that Face ID is the best way to login.  It’s a matter of “mechanics” — the iPad often sits on a desk or lap where people often turn it on, it’s not directly facing the users face.  The iPhone is smaller and easier to turn towards your face to login.  It’s a subtle thing, but kind of a nuisance.  Maybe it’s just my pet peeve.  

I’d probably get one nevertheless.  It’s too bad your hand can’t be used as biometric authentication instead of the face.  Or can it??
    I think you’re making a good point there. To me these ‘small things’ matter a lot.
    Apple tends to prioritize aesthetics above usability more than they used to these days.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Ready to upgrade my iPad Air 2.
    racoleman29watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 21
    So will it work in 2 orientations or 4? If only two how will you know what’s considered right side up? I hope with this hardware change Apple finally changes the Apple logo on the back to landscape.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member
    I am still using my first generation iPad - each day. I'll be ordering the new iPad and pencil upon release. Kid in a candy store!!! 
    chasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 21
    mejsricmejsric Posts: 152member
    netrox said:
    wait next year.. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 21
    drewys808 said:

I don’t get this. If you’re using a iPad, you’re looking at the screen. If you’re looking at the screen, then FaceID will unlock it. In what use case are you using an iPad without looking at the screen. 

Having an X and an iPad Pro, I hate having to use TouchID now. FaceID is so much easier. Especially on an iPad where the home button is useless. 
    mike1StrangeDaysnetmageRayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 21
    Aloysius said:
    drewys808 said:

I don’t get this. If you’re using a iPad, you’re looking at the screen. If you’re looking at the screen, then FaceID will unlock it. In what use case are you using an iPad without looking at the screen. 

Having an X and an iPad Pro, I hate having to use TouchID now. FaceID is so much easier. Especially on an iPad where the home button is useless. 
    As I mentioned, iPad is flat on the table or on your lap....the light projectors/sensors are not pointed at your face.  Happens on iPhone too when you want to turn it on while it’s sitting on a desk or table and you then have to hover your face directly above the iPhone (or tilt the iPhone).  iPad may be even more awkward because it’s bigger and the sensor may be even deeper/farther from you. 

I’m not trying to convince anyone that it’s a problem.  Just anticipating the awkwardness of Face ID that’s all.
    edited October 2018 ManicMoov
  • Reply 13 of 21
    drewys808 said:
    Aloysius said:
    drewys808 said:

As I mentioned, iPad is flat on the table or on your lap....the light projectors/sensors are not pointed at your face.  Happens on iPhone too when you want to turn it on while it’s sitting on a desk or table and you then have to hover your face directly above the iPhone (or tilt the iPhone).  iPad may be even more awkward because it’s bigger and the sensor may be even deeper/farther from you. 

I’m not trying to convince anyone that it’s a problem.  Just anticipating the awkwardness of Face ID that’s all.
    I must use an iPad differently than you. I can’t imagine using it flat on a table. Why would you use it flat? 

It’s usually always angled toward me. Even on my lap. I would imagine the angle for FaceID would be designed with the typical viewing angles and distance in mind. There’s a much bigger area for sensors too. 
    StrangeDaysRayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 21
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    netrox said:
    As I understand it has to do with the coverage angle of the dot projector. A couple of possibilities: maybe there two TrueDepth systems on the iPad Pro, one on the long edge for landscape and one on the short edge for portrait. Or maybe one TrueDepth camera but two dot projectors, with one aimed at a different angle, or possibly rotated 90° wrt the other. Since there is no notch they have more flexibility with component placement; they don’t need to be grouped close together like on the iPhone.

From what I've seen, coverage of the dot projector shouldn't be a problem. Even if it is on the current iPhone, there's no reason they couldn't build a new one that covers both scenarios. It should be just a software problem, orienting the face. That's not difficult. (Says the definitely not a software engineer, with no experience in face recognition based solely on stuff he's read about such things and poorly remembered Comp Sci from 30 years ago.)

Curiously, if it is an issue with the coverage, then it should be possible to proof of concept it with upside-down FaceID. (The phone upside-down relative to the face, that is. As mentioned elsewhere, if you're hanging upside down, the shape of your face changes in interesting ways presenting a non-trivial, but also not insurmountable, challenge.)

watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 21
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    netrox said:
    You’re probably also not an electrical engineer. 

I’m sure they’ll figure it out soon enough. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 21

drewys808 said:

I think you’re making a good point there. To me these ‘small things’ matter a lot.
    Apple tends to prioritize aesthetics above usability more than they used to these days.
    Nah that’s just “things used to be better back in my day!” syndrome. 

If you use the screen then Face ID will see you. It’s not like they don’t think of these things. 
    Rayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 21

So will it work in 2 orientations or 4? If only two how will you know what’s considered right side up? I hope with this hardware change Apple finally changes the Apple logo on the back to landscape.
    Will not happen. Despite your use case most people hold it like a book or magazine.
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 21
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    Current iPad doesn't care if I put the home button at the top.
    Has to be 4... or it really is a fail.

Question to me is will the system track my eyes and lock orrientation to my face even if gyro says otherwise?
    edited October 2018 netmageentropyswatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 21

Will not happen. Despite your use case most people hold it like a book or magazine.
    Most people hold the 12.9” iPad like a book? I highly doubt it.
  • Reply 20 of 21

mattinoz said:
    Current iPad doesn't care if I put the home button at the top.
    Has to be 4... or it really is a fail.

Question to me is will the system track my eyes and lock orrientation to my face even if gyro says otherwise?
    Seems like it would be difficult to get Face ID to work from the opposite end of the camera. Somehow though Apple will need to make it clear what’s up and down.