Hands on: Apple's iPhone XR brings color and value to the 2018 lineup

Comments

• Reply 21 of 125
    wood1208 said:
    I plan to upgrade 5 lines with XR but one thing bothers me is why XR has limitation of not able to take in portrait mode for animals/objects when Pixel 3 with it's single camera can do so. Why is so ? Could such XR's limitation be overcome in future with software updates ?
    Unclear, but probably not. Simplified: the XR portrait mode uses software in total to generate the effect as it has only the one lens. The dual-lens iPhones use less software to do so, and as such can use non-human objects as a subject.
    To put it slightly differently the AI for the XR was trained to recognize human faces for portrait mode. 
  • Reply 22 of 125
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,753member
    airnerd said:
    ireland said:
    ireland said:
    At €879 for a 64 GB LCD iPhone, I'm going to say it does not bring value. What it does however it bring the price of iPhones higher than last year. Higher and higher. What Apple has actually done in the past two years is of benefit mostly to shareholders. And the spoiled kids of rich people.
    Good news! The iPhone 7 is what, $499? "Value" very much depends on who's making the assessment.
    Actually, that two year old 32 GB iPhone starts at €539 here. But I’m clearly talking about new iPhones continually increasing in price. And the reality is at a certain point value doesn’t depends on who’s asking. €50 toilet roll is €50 toilet roll, and a new LCD phone that starts at almost €900 starts at almost €900. Shareholders, apologists, people with a lot of money and Apple bloggers—very few other people defend these price increases. It’s telling that Apple execs are all multi-millionaires. I’m not denying Apple make good hardware, I’m just pointing an awareness to the reality of new iPhones continually increasing in price.
    Inflation is a thing.  You know gas, bread, milk, etc all cost more each year as well.
    That they do, but inflation is around 2-3% per year, the cheapest iPhone goes up by around $100/£10 per year. The once flagship 64GB iPhone 6 was £619 when it was released here in 2015, now the flagship is £1000. That's 40% more expensive. The SE was just £399 on release, now the cheapest current phone Apple has to offer is £749. That's almost doubled in price.

As Ireland says, it's only Apple bloggers and rich kids that defend this, I am as much an Apple fan as the next guy but I don't defend these prices. Apple is once again becoming out of touch with its users on the value front, and I fear the history of the Mac will be repeated; a tipping point will be hit where developers start leaving due to lack of marketshare, and then users leave due to lack of apps. We're a long way off that, but I really don't want that to happen again.

I would like a new iPhone to replace my 6s, and previous to it I upgraded to every new S version. I'm now 4 generations behind purely because the cost of new iPhones is extortionate. If the price was more reasonable I would likely have upgraded twice in the same period, and Apple would have made more money than me upgrading once. And even more than my current situation of not upgrading at all. Android phones can do 90% of what iPhones can do for half the cost. People will pay a premium for Apple gear, but they won't pay double.
    canukstormmuthuk_vanalingamlarz2112
  • Reply 23 of 125
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,753member

lkrupp said:
    ireland said:
    At €879 for a 64 GB LCD iPhone, I'm going to say it does not bring value. What it does however it bring the price of iPhones higher than last year. Higher and higher. What Apple has actually done in the past two years is of benefit mostly to shareholders. And the spoiled kids of rich people.
    So when will you finally be leaving the platform for cheaper pastures? Inquiring minds want to know.
    Your arrogance doesn't help anything, If Apple fans are saying Apple devices are too expensive, the general public will be even more inclined to think they're too expensive. Apple is losing sales due to attitudes like yours, and sticking your head in the sand isn't a solution.
    GeorgeBMacwilliamlondonmuthuk_vanalingamlarz2112
  • Reply 24 of 125
    Love the color choices but not a fan of the larger bezels.
  • Reply 25 of 125
    As long as it does not come as SIM-free it is not worth penny. Also $750 is not cheap for phone that basically requires that you have to be on iCloud (no I do not use it or plan to use it for number of reasons that Apple did not sort out so far). Hardware is good - the attached strings to it are not so good. This is phone in the first place for Pete's sake!
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 26 of 125
    Carnage said:
    This one might be the best gift for the spouse or the kids this holiday season.
    Phone will never be good gift for kids. One needs to learn how to rise them and what heppens to them with smart devices given to them as gift. Far better gift is iPad.
    macseeker
  • Reply 27 of 125
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    These sexy things with larger bezels might look better with bangles. ;-)
  • Reply 28 of 125
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    ireland said:
    ireland said:
    Good news! The iPhone 7 is what, $499? "Value" very much depends on who's making the assessment.
    Actually, that two year old 32 GB iPhone starts at €539 here. But I’m clearly talking about new iPhones continually increasing in price. And the reality is at a certain point value doesn’t depends on who’s asking. €50 toilet roll is €50 toilet roll, and a new LCD phone that starts at almost €900 starts at almost €900. Shareholders, apologists, people with a lot of money and Apple bloggers—very few other people defend these price increases. It’s telling that Apple execs are all multi-millionaires. I’m not denying Apple make good hardware, I’m just pointing an awareness to the reality of new iPhones continually increasing in price.
    In reality most iPhone buyers will have a phone ( Android or iPhone) to trade in and most people are on contract. In Ireland Vodafone offer the XR 256GB from €250 to €650. The XR64GB sells from €50 to 450. The XR128GB sells from €150 to 550.

I have a 7s, 64Gb, which could sell for up to 320 according to what I see. I'd probably buy the 128 RAM XR and the lowest priced contract  ( 40 per month) so thats an upfront of 550. Net cost 200-250.

https://n.vodafone.ie/content/gowingmyself/en/shop/phones/iphone-xr.html

edited October 2018 bb-15
  • Reply 29 of 125
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    elijahg said:
    airnerd said:
    ireland said:
    ireland said:
    Inflation is a thing.  You know gas, bread, milk, etc all cost more each year as well.
    That they do, but inflation is around 2-3% per year, the cheapest iPhone goes up by around $100/£10 per year. The once flagship 64GB iPhone 6 was £619 when it was released here in 2015, now the flagship is £1000. That's 40% more expensive. The SE was just £399 on release, now the cheapest current phone Apple has to offer is £749. That's almost doubled in price.

As Ireland says, it's only Apple bloggers and rich kids that defend this, I am as much an Apple fan as the next guy but I don't defend these prices. Apple is once again becoming out of touch with its users on the value front, and I fear the history of the Mac will be repeated; a tipping point will be hit where developers start leaving due to lack of marketshare, and then users leave due to lack of apps. We're a long way off that, but I really don't want that to happen again.

I would like a new iPhone to replace my 6s, and previous to it I upgraded to every new S version. I'm now 4 generations behind purely because the cost of new iPhones is extortionate. If the price was more reasonable I would likely have upgraded twice in the same period, and Apple would have made more money than me upgrading once. And even more than my current situation of not upgrading at all. Android phones can do 90% of what iPhones can do for half the cost. People will pay a premium for Apple gear, but they won't pay double.
    You are not comparing like with like there. There used to be only one model of iPhone per year and that was the flagship. However Apple have created a new category which is a better level of device which is now the flagship,  but the equivalent phone to the 6S is the XR. Most people don't buy the top level anything, try work out how much more expensive a tricked out MacBook is compared to the standard purchase. 

you got doubling by comparing a year when the SE was new.
    williamlondonbb-15
  • Reply 30 of 125
    elijahg said:

lkrupp said:
    ireland said:
    So when will you finally be leaving the platform for cheaper pastures? Inquiring minds want to know.
    Your arrogance doesn't help anything, If Apple fans are saying Apple devices are too expensive, the general public will be even more inclined to think they're too expensive. Apple is losing sales due to attitudes like yours, and sticking your head in the sand isn't a solution.

If they were too expensive, Apple wouldn't be selling record numbers of them every year.

Losing sales? Where did you pull this from?
    StrangeDayschiawilliamlondonbb-15
  • Reply 31 of 125
    robjnrobjn Posts: 280member
    You write: For a start, the resolution of 1,792 by 828 pixels is a lot lower than the Super Retina versions in the XS and Max. This also brings the pixel density down to 326 pixels per inch versus the 458ppi of the other two variants, which may seem disappointing.

You can’t fairly compare pixel resolution between the two technologies. The OLED is pentile which means the resolution only applies to the green color and those green sub-pixels share very, very low resolution red and blue sub-pixels.

In fact, the lower resolution LCD display on the XR has MORE sub-pixels per inch (978) than the Super Retina Displays on the XS and XS Max. (916)
    bb-15
  • Reply 32 of 125
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    macgui said:
    And, while the Xr is a very reasonably priced offering, it's TOO BIG!  

I'm tired of carrying one of these plus sized phones.
    Now that Apple has reasonably priced iPads, I am more than happy to carry a smaller phone and use an iPad or iPad Mini while at home -- it makes for an all around better experience:  The iPad is easier to use, to see and to type on while I'm not burdened with huge chunk of something in my pocket.
    This is my complaint and position as well. I thought the XR would be just what I was looking for, then see that it's bigger than the XS. Less tech but bigger ? WTF. 

So now my game plan is first and foremost to upgrade my mini to a mini 5, should there be one. Then I'll consider a phone, maybe. I like the look of the edge-to-edge display, but I may just hold off. 

I was hoping Apple would do a little upgrading on the SE. But apparently the Slab is king.
    I suspect that a smaller external form factor is coming:   The edge to edge display lends itself to that so very well.   They make a natural pair:   Small external form factor with a big screen.
  • Reply 33 of 125
    Usually I agree with you.  But this time I'm in the opposite camp.
    While I haven't seen the Xr and its colors first hand, from the photos they look like cheap, gaudy, Walmart type stuff to me.   (But that's not a big deal for me as my phones are always covered by a case anyway -- except when I'm running).    As for the bezels:   they are still a very big improvement over the what we had previously.
  • Reply 33 of 125
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
     - content removed -

edited October 2018
  • Reply 35 of 125
    robjn said:
    You write: For a start, the resolution of 1,792 by 828 pixels is a lot lower than the Super Retina versions in the XS and Max. This also brings the pixel density down to 326 pixels per inch versus the 458ppi of the other two variants, which may seem disappointing.

You can’t fairly compare pixel resolution between the two technologies. The OLED is pentile which means the resolution only applies to the green color and those green sub-pixels share very, very low resolution red and blue sub-pixels.

In fact, the lower resolution LCD display on the XR has MORE sub-pixels per inch (978) than the Super Retina Displays on the XS and XS Max. (916)
    I have no idea if that is true or not -- but I'll assume that it is.

But, for me, the proof is in the pudding.   Except for an occasional video (or maybe a game) I see little of no difference between the two types of screens.   I equate it to comparing a $5K audio system to a $10K system -- at some point it just exceeds your body's physical ability to discern a difference.   And, if memory serves, that is kind of the explanation Apple gave when pundits tried comparing their retina display to a higher resolution Samsung phone - after a certain point, your eye just can't see a difference.
  • Reply 36 of 125
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,695member
    robjn said:

In layman's terms, what does this mean with respect to display quality?
  • Reply 37 of 125
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,695member
    elijahg said:

lkrupp said:
    ireland said:

If they were too expensive, Apple wouldn't be selling record numbers of them every year.

Losing sales? Where did you pull this from?
    Depends on what you mean by record numbers, revenue or unit sales? For FY2018, unit sales in terms of YoY growth was flat while revenue increased due higher ASP's.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 38 of 125
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    ireland said:
    Year over year the iPhone X is/was the same price.  I am not defending the prices ( they are crazy ) just making a point. i had to really come to grips with the price prior to getting the Xs Max this year..I mean really wrap my head around it. Yikes!

However coming from an 8 Plus there is no comparison. gestures instead of home button is just an awesome way to navigate the phone, Face Id is very smooth and fast ( had my reservations with this as well ) and the screen is simply amazing in my opinion. I was one of the folks saying that I couldn't come down from the 1080P 401ppi screen on the Plus model iPhone for the XR in a comment here a while back. To my eyes in every day use the Plus screen was crisper and easier to read and to watch youtube or other video content.

I am not a spoiled kid ( in my 40's ) nor am I rich.  My phone is my splurge for myself yearly. I get a new phone and she gets my previous years model. I sell the phone she was using and pay off the previous year's lease. So from year to year I pay exactly half of the lease price to have the newest phone and she always has a next to new device with a year of Applecare left ( I buy via the Apple Upgrade program ).  I am frugal with other things ( expensive coffee, eating out .trying to save as much as I can... ) but my phone is my thing as I mentioned,  and it doesn't put me in the poor house doing things the way we have been. 

Just so we are clear I was not happy about the price, but I am able to make it work without robbing Peter to pay Paul.... but DAMN!  is this Xs Max impressive... and using it daily has softened the price blow considerably in my case. 
  • Reply 39 of 125
    big kcbig kc Posts: 141member
    ireland said:
    ireland said:
    Mercedes Benz automobiles are expensive too, and are also escalating rapidly in price. both among (many) reasons I don't drive one. But do I visit Mercedes forums to troll and complain? No, I just drive a less expensive car that fits my needs.

I suggest you jump into your Dodge Neon and head over to your local swap meet, and pick up a nice Moto G6. It's a great value proposition and I'm sure you'll be quite happy with it.

StrangeDayswilliamlondonbb-15
  • Reply 40 of 125
    big kc said:
    ireland said:
    ireland said:
    Mercedes Benz automobiles are expensive too, and are also escalating rapidly in price. both among (many) reasons I don't drive one. But do I visit Mercedes forums to troll and complain? No, I just drive a less expensive car that fits my needs.

I suggest you jump into your Dodge Neon and head over to your local swap meet, and pick up a nice Moto G6. It's a great value proposition and I'm sure you'll be quite happy with it.

Oh!  So Apple products are only for the rich and famous?    Thanks for letting us know....
    canukstormasdasdwilliamlondon