Samsung working on cheaper option for 'Galaxy S10,' just like Apple's iPhone XR

Posted:
in iPhone
Samsung is reportedly working on three different versions of its upcoming "Galaxy S10" flagship phone, including a low-cost one that more people can afford very similar to the approach that Apple has taken with the iPhone XR.

The Samsung Galaxy S9.
The Samsung Galaxy S9.

The main S10 will have an edge-to-edge OLED display curved over the edges, roughly the same size as the 5.8-inch S9, according to sources for Bloomberg. The model is also said to have triple cameras on the back, and a front camera hidden under the display. Likewise the company is claimed to be embedding a fingerprint sensor in the screen, a goal phone makers have had for years.

While Samsung is also said to be preparing a bigger "Plus" edition, the draw for many people may actually be the low-cost device, which is expected to sacrifice a curved display and possibly the embedded fingerprint sensor as well, depending on manufacturing costs.

That strategy would mimic Apple's approach with the 2018 iPhone lineup, particularly the the iPhone XR. The device has many of the same features as the iPhone XS, but is $250 cheaper because it uses LCD instead of OLED, has less RAM, drops 3D Touch, and comes with one rear camera instead of two.

Both Apple and Samsung appear to be reacting to greater industry trends. Chinese firms like Huawei and Oppo have scored big by selling high-end phones at relatively low prices, whereas Apple and Samsung have been skewing towards the $1,000 mark. An iPhone XS Max starts at $1,099 and reaches up to $1,449, more than some Macs cost.

Apple's approach has been successful from a financial standpoint. Samsung's tack to this point has been less so, with the company's earnings from smartphones plummeting.

The Bloomberg sources noted that Samsung is also talking with Verizon about launching the "S10" in the U.S. as a 5G device. Longer-term, the company's anticipated foldable phone is reportedly in its "final stretch," the debate being whether its display will unfold horizontally or vertically. Designers are said to favor the vertical option, which would be easier to hold with one hand.

A Samsung foldable phone concept from 2014.
A Samsung foldable phone concept from 2014.

The device lacks an embedded fingerprint sensor, but does include a secondary 4-inch screen, intended to let people check emails and texts without flipping the phone open. Samsung and Google are said to be cooperating on a special edition of Android for the device.

The product probably won't ship until the second quarter, one source said. Samsung is still working on ensuring durability and finalizing the software interface.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    All along Samsug's phone success is closely copying Apple. Here come again.
    aegeanStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 26
    Coming back to flip phones. Didn't I say that they were good and needed to be turned into smartphones. Motorola V60 was the best hand fit and top of sales for some years.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    wood1208 said:
    You have brainwahed info. Many times that was Apple who copied idea (since stary of smartphones), but improved on quality of the solution. Start seeeing facts - not sticking to Apple this, Apple that all the time. You coiuld be surprized what was there a year before Apple released to market. I am fed with those false cliams that everything was copied from Apple. Some ideas was also replicated by Apple from others including biometrics that wsa on Samsung phones a year befrore Apple released them. Go out and check facts - they are not here in group of religious Apple fans that start acting like Microsoft crowd I have seen in '90 and later.
    avon b7muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 4 of 26
    wood1208 said:
    You have brainwahed info. Many times that was Apple who copied idea (since stary of smartphones), but improved on quality of the solution. Start seeeing facts - not sticking to Apple this, Apple that all the time. You coiuld be surprized what was there a year before Apple released to market. I am fed with those false cliams that everything was copied from Apple. Some ideas was also replicated by Apple from others including biometrics that wsa on Samsung phones a year befrore Apple released them. Go out and check facts - they are not here in group of religious Apple fans that start acting like Microsoft crowd I have seen in '90 and later.

Bullshit. Did you forget Samsung was found guilty in court of copying Apple? Not only do they copy Apple, but they copy Google as well. How many "S-Services" did Samsung create which were direct clones of Google services? Always trying so hard to create their own ecosystem and failing miserably.
    racerhomie3LordeHawkgilly33aegeanStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 26
    Samsung copied everything of significance relating to their phones from Apple. You have to be willfully blind to not see this. On the other hand, they make fine components and deserve respect for that.
    racerhomie3radarthekatStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 26
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    wood1208 said:

Your post is word salad trash, completely untethered to reality. No, Samsung did not have a fingerprint solution before Touch ID that was anywhere near reliable. It was the same garbage that was on laptops, and that nobody ever used because the technology and reliability was horrendous. You don't care about "facts", only an agenda of distorting them. I've followed Apple and Samsung's products very closely in the last decade, and it's beyond blatant where all the inspiration comes from with every product and generation. Samsung has contributed absolutely nothing that has been meaningful or unique to the smart phone space. Every single trend and major pivot came from Apple's side. 

Cloning other people's work is deeply, deeply embedded in Samsung's DNA. It's literally their development roadmap. I mean, look at their new "Samsung Book"  for God's sakes. Its not just Apple they clone, it's literally anyone who has any influence and design chops, including Microsoft, Dyson, LG, etc. 

edited October 2018 racerhomie3gilly33aegeanwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 26
    Anyone remember the S3, S4 and S5 Mini? They were supposed to be the smaller, cheaper version of the regular Galaxy S flagships. Except they were watered down with inferior processors, screens, cameras - just about everything.

Unlike the SE, for example, which had a processor that was faster than 98% of Android devices available at the time.
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 26
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    wood1208 said:
    Hahaha and the OP is brainwashed?  What a joke.  Calling out people as Apple fans on an Applecentric website makes you look even more foolish than you did with your nonsensical  post.

For the record the Motorola Atrix was the first phone that was publicly available with biometrics, and was introduced in 2011. Which is 2 years before the iPhone 5s.

What I am fed up with are weak minded trolls that try and come off so self righteous with your pro Samsung horseshit comments. 
    radarthekatgilly33StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 26
    FatmanFatman Posts: 513member
    Samsung uses a 'follow the wake' strategy - others innovate and they copy (and in some cases refine). Apple often has the concept and technology first, but their annual release schedule allows rivals to copy features and release prior, leading people to believe that the first to market is the innovator (the real strength in Asia is their ability to rush product to market). But in more cases than not they are lesser versions of what Apple releases that don't function as well.

Once Apple can lose their (Samsung) dependence on memory chips and displays -- something Samsung actually does very well -- Apple can really clean-up in the market. mLED mass production and ramping up memory production from the Toshiba acquisition cannot come soon enough!
    aegeanwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 26
    wood1208 said:
    You have brainwahed info. Many times that was Apple who copied idea (since stary of smartphones), but improved on quality of the solution.
    All through history there have been pioneers and alongside them there are the people who take those pioneering ideas and really make them work often, in ways that the originators had never even dreamed of doing. Sure company X releases a device with feature Y before Apple but almost without fail, it is Apple that improves on the idea/concept and makes it work to the benefit of their users and those who come along and take that technology and improve on it again.
    that is a feature of life as we know it.
    radarthekatStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 26
    croprcropr Posts: 1,122member
    Samsung copied everything of significance relating to their phones from Apple. You have to be willfully blind to not see this. On the other hand, they make fine components and deserve respect for that.
    Samsung did copy a lot but not all.

Just 2 examples:
     - The Galaxy S4 was the first flagship with a 5" screen.  Apple followed only 18 months later with the iPhone 6.
     - Apple copied a lot of the improvements in the notifications from Android to iOS.    
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 12 of 26
    Galaxy S9XR! Featuring Super Liquid Quantum Pixel Display
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 26
    Let me guess. It’ll be called the “Samsung Galaxy SR”...
    gilly33watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 26
    Probably just like Samsung's first watch, the folding phone will be a short hype. After that, Apple enhances it and make it 10x better just like AppleWatch.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 26
    thttht Posts: 5,421member
    I don’t get the point of this article and why there is even an implication of copying Apple here.

Samsung has like a gazillion phone models, well not gazillions, but thousands maybe, and they have models spanning free on-contract, almost free, low low-end, middle low-end, high low-end, low mid-range, middle mid-range, high mid-range, low high-end, middle high-end, high high-end to specialty phones for hiking, clamshells, or playing Fortnite or something like that. What is different here, other then adding a phone that’ll have an S model brand which will perform virtually the same as a Galaxy A series phone or maybe Galaxy J series phone, which isn’t all that unusual either?

Heck, Samsung is whiteboxing models now. Samsung! They are taking a Chinese built phone and putting their name on it. Samsung! There will be a high probability that they’ll whitebox an Indian built phone for the Indian market too.
    supadav03muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 26
    We present the smart R&D saving tool..... :D
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 26
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Coming back to flip phones. Didn't I say that they were good and needed to be turned into smartphones. Motorola V60 was the best hand fit and top of sales for some years.
    No, Razr V3 was the best!
  • Reply 18 of 26
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    cropr said:
    Samsung copied everything of significance relating to their phones from Apple. You have to be willfully blind to not seie this. On the other hand, they make fine components and deserve respect for that.
    Samsung did copy a lot but not all.

Just 2 examples:
     - The Galaxy S4 was the first flagship with a 5" screen.  Apple followed only 18 months later with the iPhone 6.
     - Apple copied a lot of the improvements in the notifications from Android to iOS.    
    Are you really that dumb or hust ignorant? Apple was the first one that released the huge screen: 3.5”. Sansung came after with bigger sizes like 4”, 4.5” or 5”. You can’t just cherry pick 1 size and claim to be the first. What a stupid comment!
    btw, for your cluelessness, entire Android was iOS copycat! All notifications, cool features and Widgets came from iOS jailbreak communities. You don’t know what the fck you’re talking about. Go back to pre-iOS Android: it’s a damn OS for physical keyboard, not multitouch UI.
    edited October 2018 StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 26
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    fallenjt said:
    No, Razr V3 was the best!
    Out of all my non-iPhones, the Motorola Razr I thought was one the best.  It was in my opinion, the iPhone of its day in terms of design.  Everyone wanted one.  Oh my how the mighty have fallen.  Motorola really could have taken the lead, but failed miserably at it.  So sad.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 26
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member

Cry me a river.  Everyone knows that Samsung's R&D shop resides in Cupertino.  FACT.  Your desire to skew history to suit your agenda does not negate what actually happened.  Apparently you failed to notice that Samsung got caught red-handed - in court - taking all their cues from Apple.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra