What to expect from Apple's October 30 iPad Pro, Pencil and Mac event

Comments

• Reply 21 of 75
    As far as AirPods, when Apply will finally realize that some people cannot shove some device into their earlobes and some even do not want to look like weirdos with something sticking out of their ears? It is also not good quality sound comparing to on-ear proper (not some so-so quality Beats) headphones like Sennheisers (no Bose is not near that quality so do not offer that advice to me).
  • Reply 22 of 75
    As far as AirPods, when Apply will finally realize that some people cannot shove some device into their earlobes and some even do not want to look like weirdos with something sticking out of their ears? It is also not good quality sound comparing to on-ear proper (not some so-so quality Beats) headphones like Sennheisers (no Bose is not near that quality so do not offer that advice to me).

No advice for you, just a statement. Welcome to the block list, troll.
    fastasleeppatchythepirateSpamSandwichanantksundaramStrangeDays
  • Reply 23 of 75
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    1) What's worse: to "look like weirdos" by wearing the most well known and advanced BT headphones on the market -or- writing and acting like a weirdo because you personally don't care for earbud-style headphones? 🤔

2) What exactly does Apple need to "realize"? They don't prevent users from using any other headphones of their choose. I, personally, don't like how ear-bud type headphones feel and because of my active lifestyle I find bone conducting headphones to be the best choice for me since it keeps my earholes open. I get plenty of looks since those are an atypical design (or maybe I'm just that sexy 😊), but they certainly don't me a "weirdo" because they aren't the most dominate type of headphone types on the market.
    fastasleepanantksundaramStrangeDayschia
  • Reply 24 of 75
    I still think if there is a Mac mini, then the new Thunderbolt 3 display will be launched. Posting it here so I can gloat later. My original thinking is that Apple has always presented the Mac mini along with the current Apple display, starting in 2005 with the 2004 DVI Cinema Display(s) and so on, through to the 2011 Thunderbolt Display which is featured in the 2012 and 2014 Mac mini manuals and such. The Thunderbolt Display was discontinued in 2015, and we have not seen a Mac mini since.

Also makes sense with regard to MacBook and MacBook Pro updates/refreshes. Apple is leaving money on the table by not having a TB 3 display on the market. Waiting for the Mac Pro next year makes no sense. 
    edited October 2018 PickUrPoison
  • Reply 25 of 75
    In a recent article, AI discussed:

Massive iPad deployment at OSU paying long-term dividends in higher education

Following the rollout to over 11,000 iPads to the 2018 freshman class, Ohio State University has started to see the benefits of their ambitious program including improvements in grades, higher campus engagement, and the eventual savings of millions of dollars for students.

"This unique program will give students access to the incredible learning tools on iPad, as well as Apple's new coding curriculum that teaches critical skills for jobs in some of the country's fastest-growing sectors," Apple CEO Tim Cook said at the time." I'm thrilled the broader central Ohio community will also have access to coding opportunities through Ohio State's new iOS Design Lab."

https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/10/25/massive-ipad-deployment-at-osu-paying-long-term-dividends-in-higher-education

One of the things OSU students use the iPad Pros for is coding...

While Apple's Swift Playgrounds App for the iPad is good for teaching concepts and incidental coding, IMO it is not very good for actual code development...

IMO, the iPad Pro would be great for [heavy-lifting] code development if it could run Xcode with an external keyboard/trackpad case.

How to accomplish that brings up an interesting dichotomy:

1. Should Xcode be ported to the iPod Pro (if it isn't already running there)?
    2. Should macOS be ported to the iPod Pro (if it isn't already running there)?

...typin' this on my iMac 5K, while listening' to David Bromberg singing "I like to sleep late in the morning" in stereo on paired HomePods... Nice!
    I think it's not long until developers are able to take advantage of the massive processing power of the iPad and do real Xcode coding and app development all on the iPad.
  • Reply 26 of 75
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Following the rollout to over 11,000 iPads to the 2018 freshman class, Ohio State University has started to see the benefits of their ambitious program including improvements in grades, higher campus engagement, and the eventual savings of millions of dollars for students.

"This unique program will give students access to the incredible learning tools on iPad, as well as Apple's new coding curriculum that teaches critical skills for jobs in some of the country's fastest-growing sectors," Apple CEO Tim Cook said at the time." I'm thrilled the broader central Ohio community will also have access to coding opportunities through Ohio State's new iOS Design Lab."

https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/10/25/massive-ipad-deployment-at-osu-paying-long-term-dividends-in-higher-education

While Apple's Swift Playgrounds App for the iPad is good for teaching concepts and incidental coding, IMO it is not very good for actual code development...

IMO, the iPad Pro would be great for [heavy-lifting] code development if it could run Xcode with an external keyboard/trackpad case.

...typin' this on my iMac 5K, while listening' to David Bromberg singing "I like to sleep late in the morning" in stereo on paired HomePods... Nice!
    I think it's not long until developers are able to take advantage of the massive processing power of the iPad and do real Xcode coding and app development all on the iPad.
    Not without a mouse or trackpad...if the iPad could dock and let me have a physical keyboard, mouse and use all of a 4K display I would be golden for Xcode.

Right now many apps are pillarboxed on a 16:9 display and using the iPad as the trackpad leaves much to be desired.  Especially when trying to select text.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 27 of 75
    wizard69 said:

While i I know this puts me in the minority I’m really hoping that Apple has ARM based Mac Books and Minis in the wings.   The Mini because I will never buy the current iMacs and the Mac Prois stupidly expensive for my needs.  
    Apple has 90% of a ARM based Mac Mini built...it's called the Apple TV.

So far we have seen no indication that they want to let us use either the aTV or iPad as a full laptop replacement or home server.

That doesn't mean they never will but makes it real real unlikely in 2018.
    GeorgeBMacchia
  • Reply 28 of 75
    Apple needs to do a Mac Mini with that new Intel Core/AMD Vega APU. It's a no-brainer for that form-factor, IMHO. Minimum 8GB RAM, 256 SSD with options for better and you have an entry-level unit with enough power to run most apps and even play most games. They already favor Intel for CPU and AMD for graphics. Give it 2x TB3, 4x USB3, SD slot, combo audio port, and Gigabit Ethernet. include USB-C to HDMI dongle in the box. No need to reinvent the wheel. Though, I'd still personally prefer to have the SD slot on the FRONT of the computer, Apple.
  • Reply 29 of 75
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    I still think if there is a Mac mini, then the new Thunderbolt 3 display will be launched. Posting it here so I can gloat later. My original thinking is that Apple has always presented the Mac mini along with the current Apple display, starting in 2005 with the 2004 DVI Cinema Display(s) and so on, through to the 2011 Thunderbolt Display which is featured in the 2012 and 2014 Mac mini manuals and such. The Thunderbolt Display was discontinued in 2015, and we have not seen a Mac mini since.

Also makes sense with regard to MacBook and MacBook Pro updates/refreshes. Apple is leaving money on the table by not having a TB 3 display on the market. Waiting for the Mac Pro next year makes no sense. 
    Yup. There’s no way the mini comes out without a display. 
  • Reply 30 of 75
    nht said:

Not without a mouse or trackpad...if the iPad could dock and let me have a physical keyboard, mouse and use all of a 4K display I would be golden for Xcode.

Right now many apps are pillarboxed on a 16:9 display and using the iPad as the trackpad leaves much to be desired.  Especially when trying to select text.
    If USB on the new iPads is a fact, compatibility with keyboard and mouse (or trackpad) could be in the cards.
  • Reply 31 of 75
    nht said:

If USB on the new iPads is a fact, compatibility with keyboard and mouse (or trackpad) could be in the cards.
    A wired keyboard and mouse on an iPad? How futuristic!
    StrangeDayschiamacplusplus
  • Reply 32 of 75
    What is the purpose for MacBook Air? I can say it became useless when 11 inch was dropped. Most of people will buy Macbook or Macbook Pro. Apple overslept need by looking on the sales numbers probably and did not relaize that smallest portable computer that has Retina display and a bit more powerful CPU would be a good choice for some users. I had one as well, but now whne I see there is no vision to it and it is just some pointless squeeze between MacBook and Pro with limping hardware and no size advantage I will not buty it and many will not. This may be a looser just as Mac mini with reduced number of cores comparing to older versions and limiting multitasking users (ity is not about of power on one test or single application).

On to pf that this USB-C connector for all garbage that works intermittently and you can trip on damaging one or another thing without magsafe. That ain't computer for your desk for Pete's sake and some of us used that in some very unfirendly environments when it was designed for that type of traveller and active person.
    Yeah, “Apple overslept”. Like they don’t know what they’re doing. /eyeroll 

The Air has stuck around to maintain the sub-$1K price point until they could bring the rMB to that level, which appears to be next week. 
    PickUrPoison
  • Reply 33 of 75
    nht said:

We could have had that anytime.  We always had keyboards as an option.
    GeorgeBMacSpamSandwichStrangeDays
  • Reply 34 of 75
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    What is the purpose for MacBook Air? I can say it became useless when 11 inch was dropped. Most of people will buy Macbook or Macbook Pro. Apple overslept need by looking on the sales numbers probably and did not relaize that smallest portable computer that has Retina display and a bit more powerful CPU would be a good choice for some users. I had one as well, but now whne I see there is no vision to it and it is just some pointless squeeze between MacBook and Pro with limping hardware and no size advantage I will not buty it and many will not. This may be a looser just as Mac mini with reduced number of cores comparing to older versions and limiting multitasking users (ity is not about of power on one test or single application).

On to pf that this USB-C connector for all garbage that works intermittently and you can trip on damaging one or another thing without magsafe. That ain't computer for your desk for Pete's sake and some of us used that in some very unfirendly environments when it was designed for that type of traveller and active person.

The Air has stuck around to maintain the sub-$1K price point until they could bring the rMB to that level, which appears to be next week. 
    The MBA is probably still Apple’s best selling Mac. Walk into any classroom and it is the most common machine in my country, where many schools are BYOD and allow students to bring whatever they want. And the schools that specify the device standardise on MBAs as a rule.  
    Price and reliability are the main reasons for sure, but also I would have to say flexibility with ports.  
    TBH while there are certainly MBPs here and there, I think I have only ever seen one rMB outside of an Apple store. They are just too expensive and port crippled.

Edit: on the win side they are mostly spectres and XPS, with the odd gaming behemoth to break the kid’s back.  Each type are well outnumbered by MBAs. The nerds with the win laptops are always going on about how much better their displays are, which at one point was a key selling point of Apple devices. Galling really.
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 35 of 75

Except the latest Bloomberg Mark Gurman rumor suggests this is going to be a new laptop separate from the rMB. Which keeps the laptop lineup as confusing as ever.
  • Reply 36 of 75
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member

I think the MBA is still a pretty big seller. On college visits about half of the Macs I see are MBAs. Three of my four family members each got one in the last four years and they are still their primary computing devices outside of iPhones.
  • Reply 37 of 75

Except the latest Bloomberg Mark Gurman rumor suggests this is going to be a new laptop separate from the rMB. Which keeps the laptop lineup as confusing as ever.
    I read that and what you suggest will only be true if Apple still intends to keep the 13" MBP Escape & current MBA in the line-up.
  • Reply 38 of 75

I read that and what you suggest will only be true if Apple still intends to keep the 13" MBP Escape & current MBA in the line-up.
    If Apple announces a retina MBA what is the point of the retina Macbook?
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 39 of 75

If Apple announces a retina MBA what is the point of the retina Macbook?
    Nobody knows what they're announcing exactly. If I had to put money on it, I'd guess they're going to finally reveal a bigger brother to the rMB, drop the 12" rMB down to sub-$1K prices, kill the Air and the MBPEscape. Two sizes of MacBook (12 and 14" make sense to me, or they go 11" and 13" because people loved the 11" Air), two sizes of MacBook Pro as they exist now. That's a pretty clearly delineated lineup. What those MBs look like and their ports/etc is anyone's guess at this point since nobody seems to know. We'll just have to wait a couple days and find out. But please don't let me stop your handwringing over it.
    PickUrPoisonStrangeDaysmacplusplus
  • Reply 40 of 75

entropys said:
    The MBA is probably still Apple’s best selling Mac. 
    linkman said:
    I think the MBA is still a pretty big seller. 
    No shit. It's also way overdue for a viable replacement. What's your point?