Apple getting set up for Oct. 30 iPad Pro & Mac event at Howard Gilman Opera House

Posted:
in iPad
Crews working for Apple are in the process of decorating the Howard Gilman Opera House in New York City for the company's Oct. 30 press event, where it's expected to reveal new iPad Pros and possibly other products such as updated Macs.

Image Credit: Macotakara
Image Credit: Macotakara

The decorations include an Apple logo out front, and colorful window coverings reminiscent of the graphics in Apple's media inviations. Similar imagery is being used for brick arches on one side of the building, Macotakara noted.

Facilities often begin decorating for Apple events days in advance, particularly its annual Worldwide Developers Conference.

Redesigned iPad Pros should take after the iPhone XS and XR, swapping a home button and Touch ID for gestures and Face ID. Accordingly they should have much smaller bezels, but will likely retain 10.5- and 12.9-inch displays. Some signs have pointed to Apple replacing Lightning with USB-C.

New Macs could include three desktops and one basic MacBook. The desktop lineup may involve updated iMacs and/or an overhauled Mac mini, the latter long overdue, given that Apple hasn't refreshed the Mini since October 2014.

Some possible but less likely announcements could include an updated iPad mini and a lower-cost HomePod. Apple has often been speculated as ending the Mini line, since the latest model -- the Mini 4 -- came out in September 2015.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Why Brooklyn, I wonder?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    These being AppleInsider’s forums I’m sure that whatever Apple announces will be pounced upon as inadequate, disappointing, overpriced trash. You can take that to the bank. Most Apple centric sites these days have become infested with disgruntled naysayers, trolls, and negativism. And so it goes. Oh, and in case you were wondering, that asshat known as Leo Laporte didn't get an invitation once again... thank God.
    edited October 2018 Rayz2016macxpress
  • Reply 3 of 8
    The only reason I’m not super excited about this is because I just found out I’m getting laid off. Otherwise I’d totally be down for buying an iPad with Face ID! If anything Face ID makes even more sense on the iPad. Even unlock with Apple Watch would have been good with the iPad. I hate hunting for the home button if I’m using it in low light. 

Im also seriously thinking of getting one for mobile writing in part because I’m kinda stressing a bit taking my MacBook Peo out of the house to write since the thing was so damned expensive. 
  • Reply 4 of 8
    thedbathedba Posts: 762member
    The only reason I’m not super excited about this is because I just found out I’m getting laid off. Otherwise I’d totally be down for buying an iPad with Face ID! If anything Face ID makes even more sense on the iPad. Even unlock with Apple Watch would have been good with the iPad. I hate hunting for the home button if I’m using it in low light. 

Im also seriously thinking of getting one for mobile writing in part because I’m kinda stressing a bit taking my MacBook Peo out of the house to write since the thing was so damned expensive. 
    Sorry to hear that. Hope something comes up for you soon. 
    JFC_PAThrashman
  • Reply 5 of 8
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    Why Brooklyn, I wonder?
    Manhattan being too expensive even for Apple? Plus, Brooklyn is far more fun. 
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 6 of 8
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member
    The only reason I’m not super excited about this is because I just found out I’m getting laid off.
    I hope you get picked up somewhere soon.

I so enjoyed that video, a few minutes of street life in Brooklyn. About 10 years since I was last in NY, must get back before too long.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

That’s bad news. Sorry to hear that. 

Job market tends to slow slow down approaching Christmas, so don’t get frustrated if pickings seem a bit slim right now. 
  • Reply 8 of 8
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    Get renter's/homeowner's insurance, keep your data backed up, and you'll never worry about that again.