What to expect from Apple's October 30 iPad Pro, Pencil and Mac event

Comments

• Reply 41 of 75
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Apple please make an iOS device in a laptop form factor.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 42 of 75
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    nht said:
    In a recent article, AI discussed:

Massive iPad deployment at OSU paying long-term dividends in higher education

Following the rollout to over 11,000 iPads to the 2018 freshman class, Ohio State University has started to see the benefits of their ambitious program including improvements in grades, higher campus engagement, and the eventual savings of millions of dollars for students.

"This unique program will give students access to the incredible learning tools on iPad, as well as Apple's new coding curriculum that teaches critical skills for jobs in some of the country's fastest-growing sectors," Apple CEO Tim Cook said at the time." I'm thrilled the broader central Ohio community will also have access to coding opportunities through Ohio State's new iOS Design Lab."

https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/10/25/massive-ipad-deployment-at-osu-paying-long-term-dividends-in-higher-education

One of the things OSU students use the iPad Pros for is coding...

While Apple's Swift Playgrounds App for the iPad is good for teaching concepts and incidental coding, IMO it is not very good for actual code development...

IMO, the iPad Pro would be great for [heavy-lifting] code development if it could run Xcode with an external keyboard/trackpad case.

How to accomplish that brings up an interesting dichotomy:

1. Should Xcode be ported to the iPod Pro (if it isn't already running there)?
    2. Should macOS be ported to the iPod Pro (if it isn't already running there)?

...typin' this on my iMac 5K, while listening' to David Bromberg singing "I like to sleep late in the morning" in stereo on paired HomePods... Nice!
    I think it's not long until developers are able to take advantage of the massive processing power of the iPad and do real Xcode coding and app development all on the iPad.
    Not without a mouse or trackpad...if the iPad could dock and let me have a physical keyboard, mouse and use all of a 4K display I would be golden for Xcode.

Right now many apps are pillarboxed on a 16:9 display and using the iPad as the trackpad leaves much to be desired.  Especially when trying to select text.
    It will...   It's like Apple has a lid on that thing that will eventually get removed.   Right now their Mac line is very weak -- so, I suspect that they don't want to kill it by releasing a machine that could take away a big chunk of its market.   (Which is very un-Steve of them)
  • Reply 43 of 75
    nht said:
    wizard69 said:

While i I know this puts me in the minority I’m really hoping that Apple has ARM based Mac Books and Minis in the wings.   The Mini because I will never buy the current iMacs and the Mac Prois stupidly expensive for my needs.  
    Apple has 90% of a ARM based Mac Mini built...it's called the Apple TV.

So far we have seen no indication that they want to let us use either the aTV or iPad as a full laptop replacement or home server.

That doesn't mean they never will but makes it real real unlikely in 2018.
    Home Server:   That has, increasingly, immense potential -- with the growing market of HomePod and Home Automation...   It really feels like Apple is being left behind.  

Last night I held my nose and installed a set of Google Mesh routers for my friend so she can manage her kid's X-Box with their parental controls.  But they will also open the door for her to start automating her home:  "Alexa!  Turn of that GD X-Box and dim the lights in the Family Room!"
    ... It seems that Apple is AWOL from that market.
    ....... I respect them enough to believe that they know exactly what they're doing.   But it's worrisome.
  • Reply 44 of 75
    nht said:

Following the rollout to over 11,000 iPads to the 2018 freshman class, Ohio State University has started to see the benefits of their ambitious program including improvements in grades, higher campus engagement, and the eventual savings of millions of dollars for students.

"This unique program will give students access to the incredible learning tools on iPad, as well as Apple's new coding curriculum that teaches critical skills for jobs in some of the country's fastest-growing sectors," Apple CEO Tim Cook said at the time." I'm thrilled the broader central Ohio community will also have access to coding opportunities through Ohio State's new iOS Design Lab."

https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/10/25/massive-ipad-deployment-at-osu-paying-long-term-dividends-in-higher-education

While Apple's Swift Playgrounds App for the iPad is good for teaching concepts and incidental coding, IMO it is not very good for actual code development...

IMO, the iPad Pro would be great for [heavy-lifting] code development if it could run Xcode with an external keyboard/trackpad case.

...typin' this on my iMac 5K, while listening' to David Bromberg singing "I like to sleep late in the morning" in stereo on paired HomePods... Nice!
    I think it's not long until developers are able to take advantage of the massive processing power of the iPad and do real Xcode coding and app development all on the iPad.
    Not without a mouse or trackpad...if the iPad could dock and let me have a physical keyboard, mouse and use all of a 4K display I would be golden for Xcode.

Right now many apps are pillarboxed on a 16:9 display and using the iPad as the trackpad leaves much to be desired.  Especially when trying to select text.
    If USB on the new iPads is a fact, compatibility with keyboard and mouse (or trackpad) could be in the cards.
    A wired keyboard and mouse on an iPad? How futuristic!
    The iPad Pro already has a wired/smart connector keyboard.  The iPad already has a wireless keyboard.
    They just need to add the trackpad to either.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 45 of 75
    entropys said:
    What is the purpose for MacBook Air? I can say it became useless when 11 inch was dropped. Most of people will buy Macbook or Macbook Pro. Apple overslept need by looking on the sales numbers probably and did not relaize that smallest portable computer that has Retina display and a bit more powerful CPU would be a good choice for some users. I had one as well, but now whne I see there is no vision to it and it is just some pointless squeeze between MacBook and Pro with limping hardware and no size advantage I will not buty it and many will not. This may be a looser just as Mac mini with reduced number of cores comparing to older versions and limiting multitasking users (ity is not about of power on one test or single application).

On to pf that this USB-C connector for all garbage that works intermittently and you can trip on damaging one or another thing without magsafe. That ain't computer for your desk for Pete's sake and some of us used that in some very unfirendly environments when it was designed for that type of traveller and active person.
    Yeah, “Apple overslept”. Like they don’t know what they’re doing. /eyeroll 

The Air has stuck around to maintain the sub-$1K price point until they could bring the rMB to that level, which appears to be next week. 
    The MBA is probably still Apple’s best selling Mac. Walk into any classroom and it is the most common machine in my country, where many schools are BYOD and allow students to bring whatever they want. And the schools that specify the device standardise on MBAs as a rule.  
    Price and reliability are the main reasons for sure, but also I would have to say flexibility with ports.  
    TBH while there are certainly MBPs here and there, I think I have only ever seen one rMB outside of an Apple store. They are just too expensive and port crippled.

Edit: on the win side they are mostly spectres and XPS, with the odd gaming behemoth to break the kid’s back.  Each type are well outnumbered by MBAs. The nerds with the win laptops are always going on about how much better their displays are, which at one point was a key selling point of Apple devices. Galling really.
    At least in pubic schools it seems that Chromebooks are winning.   Apple may retain leadership at the college level, but below that, they have extremely stiff and competent competition.   They made a good effort at getting back into the market with the Gen6 iPad, but they need to do more.
  • Reply 46 of 75
    linkman said:
    What is the purpose for MacBook Air? I can say it became useless when 11 inch was dropped. Most of people will buy Macbook or Macbook Pro. Apple overslept need by looking on the sales numbers probably and did not relaize that smallest portable computer that has Retina display and a bit more powerful CPU would be a good choice for some users. I had one as well, but now whne I see there is no vision to it and it is just some pointless squeeze between MacBook and Pro with limping hardware and no size advantage I will not buty it and many will not. This may be a looser just as Mac mini with reduced number of cores comparing to older versions and limiting multitasking users (ity is not about of power on one test or single application).

On to pf that this USB-C connector for all garbage that works intermittently and you can trip on damaging one or another thing without magsafe. That ain't computer for your desk for Pete's sake and some of us used that in some very unfirendly environments when it was designed for that type of traveller and active person.
    Yeah, “Apple overslept”. Like they don’t know what they’re doing. /eyeroll 

The Air has stuck around to maintain the sub-$1K price point until they could bring the rMB to that level, which appears to be next week. 
    I think the MBA is still a pretty big seller. On college visits about half of the Macs I see are MBAs. Three of my four family members each got one in the last four years and they are still their primary computing devices outside of iPhones.
    The prevalence of MBAs may be due to the lack of competitiveness (at the college student level) of the other Mac products.   But not because the MBA is so powerful great, but because it does the job at lower price point.
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 47 of 75
    My thoughts on the Mac line:
    Hardware wise, its a yawn...  Overpriced for what it offers.
    It is the software/OS/Ecosystem that make it great and set it apart.

Apple needs to bring its Mac line hardware up to snuff so that it meets the needs of the common user at a price that doesn't scare them off.   Anybody with a decent savings account can afford to meet their needs with an MBP but most will shy away from that price tag.

I think Apple can do better.   I think that they WILL do better.
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 48 of 75
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    nht said:
    wizard69 said:

While i I know this puts me in the minority I’m really hoping that Apple has ARM based Mac Books and Minis in the wings.   The Mini because I will never buy the current iMacs and the Mac Prois stupidly expensive for my needs.  
    Apple has 90% of a ARM based Mac Mini built...it's called the Apple TV.

So far we have seen no indication that they want to let us use either the aTV or iPad as a full laptop replacement or home server.

That doesn't mean they never will but makes it real real unlikely in 2018.
    Home Server:   That has, increasingly, immense potential -- with the growing market of HomePod and Home Automation...   It really feels like Apple is being left behind.  

Last night I held my nose and installed a set of Google Mesh routers for my friend so she can manage her kid's X-Box with their parental controls.  But they will also open the door for her to start automating her home:  "Alexa!  Turn of that GD X-Box and dim the lights in the Family Room!"
    ... It seems that Apple is AWOL from that market.
    ....... I respect them enough to believe that they know exactly what they're doing.   But it's worrisome.
    aTV can already be the heart of Apple home automation.

Whats missing on that front is a cheaper HomePod.  The expectation is that everyone has a phone or watch and therefore Siri access but sometimes that’s just not true and having a $50-100 HomePod in each room would be nice to have.

What I would like is an aTV based home server where I can use iPad productivity apps (on the TV) and a large amount of local fast storage.  I want a large screen, keyboard and mouse for content management and content creation.  IPad performance is “good enough” for anything not FCPX
    This has been possible for years so that’s indication that Apple has no desire to do this and this no desire to do an ARM based mini any time soon.

Maybe the next mini proves me wrong.  Which will be more than fine since I’ve wanted one.
  • Reply 49 of 75
    nht said:

If USB on the new iPads is a fact, compatibility with keyboard and mouse (or trackpad) could be in the cards.
    The iPad Pro already has a wired/smart connector keyboard.  The iPad already has a wireless keyboard.
    iPad keyboards are crap. There’s no comparison to a good laptop keyboard. And the ‘smart’ connector has to be, at least so far, one of the dumbest things Apple has come up with. Basically no conceivable use for it except to connect a third-rate, overpriced, ugly keyboard (I have two, unfortunately), and afaik, zero third-party products that use it. 
    williamlondonmacplusplus
  • Reply 50 of 75
    linkman said:
    A model sorely lacking in the current lineup is a reasonably priced 15" laptop. Want a 15" Mac laptop right now? It's only available in the MBP w/TB and that'll be at least $2399 US (ignoring sale items, refurbished, etc.).
    I’d like to see a 14/15” MacBook. And by MacBook I mean 5W series-Y CPU. The 12” is too small but it’s plenty powerful for my (and many others’) requirements. 
  • Reply 51 of 75
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    kruegdude said:
    Would a sufficiently more powerful iPad mean we might get a sufficiently more capable iOS for that iPad?  One hopes (and no, I don’t mean taking a step backward with mouse support and an MsDos file system). 
    ADDING mouse support would be a step forward not backward.   It would remove the constraints that block the iPad from being what Apple promised it to be:   a real computer.   It will be there in time.   It's when, not if.
    It is a real computer. As is my iPhone. different form factors have different use cases and merely being different (a touch-based tablet) doesn’t make it not a computer. Nonsense. 
    fastasleepmacplusplus
  • Reply 52 of 75
    As far as AirPods, when Apply will finally realize that some people cannot shove some device into their earlobes and some even do not want to look like weirdos with something sticking out of their ears? It is also not good quality sound comparing to on-ear proper (not some so-so quality Beats) headphones like Sennheisers (no Bose is not near that quality so do not offer that advice to me).
    You’re confusing use cases. APs are not all things to all people, and that’s OK.
    williamlondonRayz2016
  • Reply 53 of 75
    As far as AirPods, when Apply will finally realize that some people cannot shove some device into their earlobes and some even do not want to look like weirdos with something sticking out of their ears? It is also not good quality sound comparing to on-ear proper (not some so-so quality Beats) headphones like Sennheisers (no Bose is not near that quality so do not offer that advice to me).

No advice for you, just a statement. Welcome to the block list, troll.
    Yeah I agree. Too much unintelligible gibberish from this person, who has a fundamental misunderstanding of technology, design, and Apple’s prerogatives. PLONK!
  • Reply 54 of 75
    nht said:

It will...   It's like Apple has a lid on that thing that will eventually get removed.   Right now their Mac line is very weak -- so, I suspect that they don't want to kill it by releasing a machine that could take away a big chunk of its market.   (Which is very un-Steve of them)
    Which is also why you’re completely wrong, as usual. You routinely reveal your ignorance of how they operate. They don’t care if they cannibalize their own product with another product. It’s a win-win. 
    fastasleepmacplusplus
  • Reply 55 of 75
    nht said:

That was his point - Apple isn’t going to switch I/O so that they could offer keyboard compatibility. It already has had keyboard support from day 1. That was his point, which you missed. 
    fastasleep
  • Reply 56 of 75
    kruegdude said:
    Would a sufficiently more powerful iPad mean we might get a sufficiently more capable iOS for that iPad?  One hopes (and no, I don’t mean taking a step backward with mouse support and an MsDos file system). 
    ADDING mouse support would be a step forward not backward.   It would remove the constraints that block the iPad from being what Apple promised it to be:   a real computer.   It will be there in time.   It's when, not if.
    It is a real computer. As is my iPhone. different form factors have different use cases and merely being different (a touch-based tablet) doesn’t make it not a computer. Nonsense. 
    Not if you have to do "real" work on it -- rather than merely playing Fortnite or FaceBooking on it.
  • Reply 57 of 75
    nht said:

Which is also why you’re completely wrong, as usual. You routinely reveal your ignorance of how they operate. They don’t care if they cannibalize their own product with another product. It’s a win-win. 
    Steve didn't.   But the Mac line has become so weak that Tim has had to do just that.  Sorry -- reality sucks.
  • Reply 58 of 75
    nht said:

That was his point - Apple isn’t going to switch I/O so that they could offer keyboard compatibility. It already has had keyboard support from day 1. That was his point, which you missed. 
    I didn't miss a thing.   Sorry.   But, nice try.
  • Reply 59 of 75
    iOS 12.1, only certain high model iPhones and iPad can handle FaceTime....
  • Reply 60 of 75
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    elfig2012 said:
    iOS 12.1, only certain high model iPhones and iPad can handle FaceTime....
    GROUP FaceTime. Air 2 and newer can do it, and so can the the 7 and newer. I wouldn't call all of those "high model."
    edited October 2018 GeorgeBMac