Apple Watch reportedly assembled by illegal high school labor, Apple investigating

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple is undertaking an in-house investigation into allegations one of the company's manufacturing partners -- Quanta -- has been hiring high school students to build Apple Watches in China.

Apple Watch Series 4

"We are urgently investigating the report that student interns added in September are working overtime and night shifts," a company spokesperson told the Financial Times. "We have zero tolerance for failure to comply with our standards and we ensure swift action and appropriate remediation if we discover violations."

A Hong Kong-based labor rights group, Sacom, said it interviewed 28 such students this summer at a Quanta factory in Chongqing. The people said that they had nominally been sent to the factory on internships, but in reality handled the same tasks as anyone else, often working overtime and night shifts, which are illegal for student interns in China yet a recurring problem.

Eleven students said they were told they wouldn't graduate on schedule if they didn't complete their internships.

"We are scheduled to work at night, from 8 p.m. to 8 a.m.," one student said of the labor violations. "Only one day off is allowed per week." Another said that "about 120" students from their school were working at the Chongqing factory.

Apple conducts regular audits of its supply chain, but still regularly encounters violations of both government and internal labor standards. In 2017, for example, it was forced to admit that interns at a Foxconn factory in Zhengzhou worked illegal overtime building iPhones.

The company's manufacturing partners are often under intense pressure to keep up with Apple demand during the fall launch season, with some factories as much as tripling their workforces. Younger Chinese have meanwhile become increasingly uninterested in working on assembly lines, leading to factories making pacts with local schools.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    "In other news... water is wet."
    jbdragonviclauyyc
  • Reply 2 of 28
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    How come the parents didn't say anything about the school slaving their kids out to the local factory? Was it an orphanage?
    bonobob
  • Reply 3 of 28
    In other news that company will no longer be contracted by Apple if the story is true. Apple takes these things very seriously.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 4 of 28
    horvatic said:
    In other news that company will no longer be contracted by Apple if the story is true. Apple takes these things very seriously.
    Really? When will we see Apple fire Foxconn?
    They are repeat offenders and I don’t see anyone taking their business away from them. 
  • Reply 5 of 28
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Apple doesn't own any of these factory's. What is Apple suppose to do? They are doing all they can, but when these companies are also breaking Chinese laws?!?! How these company's can make deals with High Schools for so called Interns, what a joke.

The companies that do this should get big fines.Big enough to not make doing this crap worth it. If you can't keep up with demand, you can't keep up, simple as that. Maybe it's time to invest in some robots that can do at least some of the work, so you don't need as many people.

Apple can only do so much. It's not like Apple can have their own personal guards at these factory's inspecting everyone coming in 24/7 to make sure they're not kids. These companies in no way should be making any deals with any high schools. Something needs to be done with those schools that accept such deals. Fire the principal, or toss out the school board. Whoever approved this garbage and also affecting the kid from graduating.
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 6 of 28
    It’s more likely these kids wanted to earn some money. Factory work is all most of them are suited for given their work experience.
    racerhomie3
  • Reply 7 of 28
    Previlaged folks in the west whining about factory conditions in China ,is my comedy for the day! 
    anton zuykovSpamSandwich
  • Reply 8 of 28
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    horvatic said:
    They are repeat offenders and I don’t see anyone taking their business away from them. 
    Links?
  • Reply 9 of 28
    ascii said:
    How come the parents didn't say anything about the school slaving their kids out to the local factory? Was it an orphanage?
    Are you kidding me? Parents probably were the ones hoping their kids would get employed, so there is a bit more income for the family.
    SpamSandwichadamccoolfactor
  • Reply 10 of 28
    Previlaged folks in the west whining about factory conditions in China ,is my comedy for the day! 
    True. Some of them are so idiotic, they would take away that low income from those kids, so those kids could starve to death. But, it sure feels good when they can stop child labor from happening...at the expense of those kids. smh.
    SpamSandwichmac_dog
  • Reply 11 of 28
    ascii said:
    Are you kidding me? Parents probably were the ones hoping their kids would get employed, so there is a bit more income for the family.
    Completely agree. People who haven’t been to China and have never seen the levels of poverty that continue to exist in their society have no appreciation for their reality. Factory work is a far, far better alternative for most of their population, kids included!
  • Reply 12 of 28
    Robots. In the USA. Soon. Please!
  • Reply 13 of 28
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    Only Apple, eh?
  • Reply 14 of 28
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    I'm glad to see that Apple is responsibly investigating the matter rather than jumping in with a knee jerk reaction on a (so far) one-sided story just to keep the trolls happy.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    if you have issues with what's happening in China, then move the factory to the US
    horvatic said:
    Links?
    just google 'apple mistreatment of workers' - these factories are still employed by Apple
    hammeroftruth
  • Reply 16 of 28
    High school students having a job.  What a crime.  I had jobs in high school and I worked overtime too.  It is called learning responsibility.  Racerhomie3 said it best.  People in the west should not complain about the style of work in other countries.  That is their way of life.
    edited October 2018 anton zuykovSpamSandwich
  • Reply 17 of 28
    whoa, are you telling me that a communist country is mistreating it's people...now ay, I refuse to believe that is happening or has ever happened.
    JonInAtl
  • Reply 18 of 28
    the same privileged people who probably pass the homeless everyday on the way to work and won't spare $1 or a bottle of water...
  • Reply 19 of 28
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    In many countries where jobs are available, high-school kids work part time and during summer break, So it is a job and not a carrier. Stop getting Apple involved and waste resources.
    anton zuykov
  • Reply 20 of 28
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,563member
    horvatic said:
    This was Quanta.