Apple's iOS 12.1 available on Oct. 30 with Group FaceTime, dual SIM, new emoji and more

Posted:
in iOS edited October 2018
Apple on Monday announced its next iOS 12 point release, iOS 12.1, will be available for download on Oct. 30, bringing with it promised next-generation features including Group FaceTime and dual SIM support for owners of iPhone XS and iPhone XR.

The company in a press release said iOS 12.1 will deliver Group FaceTime, new emoji, real-time depth control previews and dual SIM capabilities when it sees release tomorrow.

Introduced at WWDC in June, Group FaceTime enables 32-person FaceTime video conference calls. The feature was originally slated for release with iOS 12 in September, but Apple postponed its launch in August.

Detailing group calling, Apple reminds users of new FaceTime functions including automatic detection of active speakers. The feature uses on-device intelligence to determine the most prominent speakers on a given call and highlights those people by bringing their chat window front and center. Windows are automatically resized throughout a conversation based on duration of speech, volume and motion, Apple says. Chat windows of users who are less active remain on the bottom of the display, though tapping on a pane brings it forward.

A new behavior allows FaceTime to display "ringless" notifications when calling more than one person, allowing users to enter a conversation without being disruptive.

Finally, with direct integration in the Messages, users can start or join a Group FaceTime call without leaving a text thread. For example, Messages displays a list of active calls in the conversation list and inside individual conversations. Apple notes both one-to-one and multi-person FaceTime calls are end-to-end encrypted.

In addition to Group FaceTime, iOS 12.1 activates dual-SIM functionality for iPhone XR, XS and XS Max.

A tentpole feature of Apple's latest smartphones, dual-SIM support allows iPhone owners to utilize two cellular plans on a single device without constant SIM card swapping. Apple's solution relies on Dual SIM Dual Standby technology, which keeps both a physical SIM and an embedded eSIM -- or a second physical SIM card in China -- addressable simultaneously.

Apple's camera software is also getting a bump with iOS 12.1. The update is bringing support for dynamic previews for the operating system's new Depth Control feature. The feature allows user to dynamically adjust and view depth of field previews in the Camera app, providing quick access to the new Portrait mode effect. Depth Control functions, which can also be applied post-capture, are also available on selfies taken with iPhone's front-facing TrueDepth camera.

Additionally, Apple is adding more than 70 new emoji with iOS 12.1, including new characters with red hair, gray hair and curly hair, as well as other additions like more expressive smiley faces.

Apple did not specify an exact time of release, but iOS 12.1 should be available shortly after the company's media event in New York wraps up. With the tagline "There's more in the making," Apple's gathering is slated to start at 10 a.m. Eastern and is expected to bring word of new iPad Pro, Mac and potentially AirPods hardware.

Keep up with AppleInsider by downloading the AppleInsider app for iOS, and follow us on YouTube, Twitter @appleinsider and Facebook for live, late-breaking coverage. You can also check out our official Instagram account for exclusive photos.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    I am excited about Group FaceTime.
    chasm
  • Reply 2 of 12
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    Are there separate hardware requirements for group FaceTime, or will it work on any phone that will run iOS 12?
  • Reply 3 of 12
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    I am excited about Group FaceTime.
    I am excited about Bok Choy emoji.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    MplsP said:
    Are there separate hardware requirements for group FaceTime, or will it work on any phone that will run iOS 12?
    Indeed there are. According to Apple's own user guide for iOS 12.1, minimum requirement is the A8x chip.
    Rayz2016
  • Reply 5 of 12
    What about the aggressive smoothing on the iPhone XS models? I thought I saw that was going to be fixed as well. 
  • Reply 6 of 12
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,296member
    ombra2105 said:
    MplsP said:
    Indeed there are. According to Apple's own user guide for iOS 12.1, minimum requirement is the A8x chip.
    To be fair, that means anything more recent than 2014’s iPad Air 2 will work. For iPhones, it means that the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus are the oldest phones supported, which is great for me — I have an iPhone 6s that still works beautifully, and while I plan to upgrade to a new model later this year or early next (probably the XR), I’m glad to still be the beneficiary of at least three full years of new software features.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    Will it slow down on older iPhone models? How do I know it won’t? 
  • Reply 8 of 12
    ivanh said:
    Will you keep trolling AI and getting shut-down by people who know what they’re talking about? How do we know you won’t?
    adaeonchasmRayz2016
  • Reply 9 of 12
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    Cream cheese on the bagel! Can it get any better? I think not.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    bonobobbonobob Posts: 382member
    chasm said:
    ombra2105 said:
    MplsP said:
    To be fair, that means anything more recent than 2014’s iPad Air 2 will work. For iPhones, it means that the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus are the oldest phones supported, which is great for me — I have an iPhone 6s that still works beautifully, and while I plan to upgrade to a new model later this year or early next (probably the XR), I’m glad to still be the beneficiary of at least three full years of new software features.
    Audio only Facetime works on everything back to and including the 5S.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    ivanh said:

It won't slow down all older models - just yours, if you actually use an iPhone that is.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Who will be the first person here to convince 32 people to join a FaceTime chat (and provide video evidence as proof)?
    beowulfschmidt