Apple's new Mac mini finally arrives with 5X performance, Thunderbolt 3, more

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited October 2018
Amongst other announcements, Apple just debuted the long-awaited successor to the Mac mini with five times the performance, up to six-core processors, Thunderbolt 3, and user-expandable RAM.

2018 Mac Mini

The new Mac mini looks shockingly similar to previous models, though it has a new Space Gray finish. While it looks similar, internally it is all new. They start with four-core processors and are expandable to six cores at the time of purchase. Each Mac mini starts with 8GB of RAM with upgrades possible to 64GB. Storage, all flash-based, is expandable to 2TB, twice the previous maximum.

2018 Mac Mini Specs

Ports include four Thunderbolt 3, one HDMI and two USB-A with an option for 10Gb Ethernet. Apple has added the T2 Security Chip to the Mini, which includes an SSD controller for faster data encryption. T2 also comes equipped with hardware HEVC video transcoding for up to 30-times faster performance.

Onboard graphics across the line are the Intel UHD Graphics 630. As with any Thunderbolt 3 computer, the Mac mini can use an external GPU. The HDMI port on the device uses the 2.0 spec, allowing for 4K resolution at 60Hz.

And just like the new 2018 MacBook Air, the enclosure is built out of 100-percent recycled aluminum.

"Mac mini is loved by customers for its ability to be used in incredibly diverse environments -- from casual desktop use, to live professional performances, to multiple Mac mini computers powering through video renderings and compiling software code, to racks of thousands in giant app build farms -- anywhere a small-but-mighty Mac is needed to get the job done," said Apple's Phil Schiller.

Prices start at $799 for a 3.6GHz quad-core i3 model with 8GB of RAM and 128GB of SSD storage. An i5 model at 3.0 GHz with 8GB of RAM and 256GB of storage is available for $1099. An upgrade of the i5 model to a 3.2GHz i7 processor is an additional $200. Either model can get a 10 Gigabit Ethernet port for an additional $100.

A maxed-out configuration with 64GB of RAM, a 2TB SSD, the i7 six-core processor, and 10 Gigabit Ethernet retails for $4199.99. Cutting the SSD back to 256GB and relying on external storage reduces that to $2799.

Keep up with AppleInsider by downloading the AppleInsider app for iOS, and follow us on YouTube, Twitter @appleinsider and Facebook for live, late-breaking coverage. You can also check out our official Instagram account for exclusive photos.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 133
    In my best Beavis and Butthead voice.....

Yes...yes...yes...yes...yes...yes...
    fastasleepedredSpamSandwichmagman1979watto_cobraargonautmikef
  • Reply 2 of 133
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Same chassis after all this time, whaaaaa?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 133
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,874member
    ascii said:
    It's not the original case design. As Apple execs have explained, they don't do change for change's sake. Changing its design would require a functional reason to do so. What would the reason be? It's a small box with stuff inside and ports on the back.
    edited October 2018 d_2fastasleepchiawilliamlondontmaySpamSandwichroundaboutnowpulseimagesmanfred zorncornchip
  • Reply 4 of 133
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    Base config is 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD. Not 32GB.  
    fastasleepwilliamlondonchiaSpamSandwichtoysandmehodar
  • Reply 4 of 133
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Woah, if THAT got bumped from the show today, I'm looking forward to what they do present when they get on stage. EDIT: Wait I just found that the event started already. Thought the times were pacific, not eastern. So this was not bumped from the show, the show;s half over already. Well, so much for watching it.
    edited October 2018 dtb200watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 133
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    ascii said:
    If there are server farms using these things by the thousand then they might not appreciate a redesigned case. 
    williamlondonchiamike1tmayracerhomie3roundaboutnowtoysandmedtb200cornchipstevedownunder
  • Reply 7 of 133
    ascii said:
    So many of us have dedicated solutions to house/mount the existing Mac Mini form factor, that I’m VERY relieved they seem to have stuck to the same design!

The facilities they talked about in the presentation are a prime example; they’ll be able to utilise the same space and hopefully just slot in new minis without too much fuss.

great move!
    williamlondonchiadavenfastasleepSpamSandwichroundaboutnowmagman1979jasenj1toysandmedtb200
  • Reply 8 of 133
    Rayz2016 said:
    ascii said:
    If there are server farms using these things by the thousand then they might not appreciate a redesigned case. 
    Might they have appreciated a rack mount variant?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 9 of 133
    MacMDMacMD Posts: 10member
    More than I thought we would get. User expandable memory, 10 gigabit Ethernet, and 6 core processor options are huge for me. Let’s just wait to see those upgrade prices and how quickly the price shoots up. It won’t be cheap, but at least I won’t get screwed with the Apple memory tax for once.
    williamlondoncornchipwatto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 10 of 133
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    SODIMMs! Who saw that coming? Can’t wait to hear all the bitching that the storage is soldered. 

No display though? That’s probably the biggest surprise to me. 
    edited October 2018 StrangeDayschiarhinotuffManicMoovracerhomie3lamboaudi4pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 133
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,874member
    Welp, people got what they wanted. What will the next complaint be? (Price, of course, right)
    williamlondontmaySpamSandwichmagman1979lamboaudi4brucemcwatto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 12 of 133
    Things are looking good for a Mac Pro announcement today, IMO.
    canukstormwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 133
    Apple ALMOST nailed the Mac Mini. They should have offered one with dual flash SSDs like the iMac Pro and a maybe a SATA bus for 2nd large SATA SSD. An i9 would have been nice. 

However, 64GBs RAM, 2TB flash, 6-Core i7 and the T2, (love all that!), if it’s not $2500 for the high end model I’ll buy a pair. And please, no more soldering parts Apple please. I’m still using modified 2009 Mac Pros for a reason. 

We’ll see. 
    williamlondoncornchip
  • Reply 14 of 133
    It will have to be "one more thing" then, because they are on to the iPad now.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 133
    At last! Time to upgrade from last 4-core 2012 and skip that garbage from last years.
    rezwitsxixoargonaut
  • Reply 16 of 133
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Apple ALMOST nailed the Mac Mini. They should have offered one with dual flash SSDs like the iMac Pro and a maybe a SATA bus for 2nd large SATA SSD. An i9 would have been nice. 

However, 64GBs RAM, 2TB flash, 6-Core i7 and the T2, (love all that!), if it’s not $2500 for the high end model I’ll buy a pair. And please, no more soldering parts Apple please. I’m still using modified 2009 Mac Pros for a reason. 

We’ll see. 
    SATA is obsolete.  TB3 is where it's all at.  Besides, you can get a TB3-Sata adapter (usually via a dock) if you must use those old drives.  I'm surprised they still put legacy USB ports in there.  

This is a solid machine.  I'm may seriously consider one of these for the office but will wait to see what the new iMacs look like first.

williamlondontmayrhinotuffchiamagman1979StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 133
    ascii said:
    As cool as it would have been to get a new enclosure it's my understanding that a lot of users wanted this to be the same as they rack mount these in server rooms.
    williamlondoncornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 133
    ascii said:
    It will have to be "one more thing" then, because they are on to the iPad now.
    No. They want even talk about the iMac Pro until 2019.
    SpamSandwichcornchip
  • Reply 19 of 133
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    I recently compiled a 45 minute video of a trio I took with my nephew. It took hours to encode on my 2012 mini Mac. With hardware encoding acceleration, it I do anymore videos, I will definitely upgrade.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 133
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member

We’ll see. 
    “Our pro customers have been asking for the slower, cheaper performance of SATA-3” 
    edited October 2018 rhinotuffStrangeDaystmaypscooter63watto_cobraargonaut