Apple unveils all new 13-inch MacBook Air with Retina display, Thunderbolt 3 and more

Comments

• Reply 21 of 181
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    Speegs said:
    $1199 laptop with a base storage of 128gb in 2018 brehs. 

This company is price gouging its customers more than ever before. 
    If true then surely the market will respond by shunning it. But nah, thy won't, because they aren't gouging. Value != "cheap". Stick to your Dell, bro.
    edited October 2018 Solifastasleepracerhomie3magman1979mwhitebaconstangandrewj5790docno42chiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 181

chia said:
    rMBA! Just what everybody wanted, right? Will be curious to see what happens w/ the MB. 
    Ben Bajarin (@BenBajarin) 10/30/18, 9:25 AM PC OEMs breath a collective sigh of relief there is now lower cost Mac.
    Presentation isn’t over yet! It’s possible the current MacBooks get pushed down in price to below $1000 now that the MacBook Air comes in at $1200 with two Thunderbolt 3 and a larger Retina Display.
    Maybe. Odd that the laptop with Air in its name isn’t the lightest laptop Apple sells. We’ll see how much longer Apple gets away with raising prices. Competition is selling really good devices now at cheaper price points.
    There's the negative nancy we all know and love.

In 2008 the MBA launched at $1799 (plus an extra $1000 w/ optional SSD). That would be $2110 (or $3280 w/ SDD) today with inflation. So complaining about $1199 for way more features is curious, but typical.
    fastasleeprhinotuffbaconstangandrewj5790elijahgdocno42chiastompyradarthekatpscooter63
  • Reply 23 of 181
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Didn't expect the iMac to not get a 6-core processor.

Edit: maybe they are waiting until after the AMD keynote in early Jan.
    edited October 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 181

MtotheH said:
    This was the announcement I was hoping for, but the price point is not. I had hoped $899 or $999 for the 128Gb. I can't just drop a grand+ when my 2013 model is humming just fine for my needs. Bummer.
    If you don't need the tool, you don't need the tool. 
    fastasleepasdasdelijahgchia
  • Reply 25 of 181
    Speegs said:

If true then surely the market will respond by shunning it. But nah, thy won't, because that isn't happening. Value != "cheap". Stick to your Dell, bro.
    So what happened to Kuo’s prediction of a sub $1000 laptop? Also Windows laptops have gotten much better over the past few years. They’re not just cheap plastic anymore.

The rMB & rMBA positioning is very odd. Unless the rMB will be the first Apple laptop to go ARM I don’t see what the point of it is anymore.
    irelanddavgregapple2c
  • Reply 26 of 181
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    MBA:
    Good: Touch ID by itself, without TouchBar. Hope it will be ported to MBPs too.
    Bad: they ruined its keyboard (I noticed no one applauded when butterfly keyboard was mentioned).
    Bad: 128GB SSD in this day and age (price gouging)

Mac mini:
    Funny how they stressed that it's so many times faster, than a 4 year old machine. Of course it's many times faster, duh.
    What's the point of all those updates if the price is higher by $300? This means it's not a starter desktop anymore. if that's intentional, it's Apple's prerogative, but nowadays you just feel screwed by Apple more, don't feel the technology getting cheaper with time. Every time the update things they up the price too.
    edited October 2018 xixoirelandelijahglarryadavgreg
  • Reply 27 of 181
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    rMBA! Just what everybody wanted, right? Will be curious to see what happens w/ the MB. 
    Well a retina four core processor.   We didn’t hear much about huge performance leaps on this machine.  That being said this is a very appealing update for the Air.  The simple inclusion of T2 makes for a much more interesting machine.  
    edited October 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 181
    Ah so Apple’s sub $1000 laptop is just keeping the old Air around and selling it for $999. Unbelievable.
    xixocanukstormelijahg
  • Reply 29 of 181
    So glad to see a new Mac Mini.   So unhappy to see it is over priced.   Bottom config should be a $599 machine.  New iPad Pros are awesome.  Nearing the ability to otherwise do away with a laptop in many cases.  Would like to see a lower cost MacBook.   Apple should not just be for the elite 10%.
    xixoirelandelijahg
  • Reply 30 of 181
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    chia said:
    Ben Bajarin (@BenBajarin) 10/30/18, 9:25 AM PC OEMs breath a collective sigh of relief there is now lower cost Mac.
    Presentation isn’t over yet! It’s possible the current MacBooks get pushed down in price to below $1000 now that the MacBook Air comes in at $1200 with two Thunderbolt 3 and a larger Retina Display.
    Maybe. Odd that the laptop with Air in its name isn’t the lightest laptop Apple sells. We’ll see how much longer Apple gets away with raising prices. Competition is selling really good devices now at cheaper price points.
    Raising prices? It’s bigger and better in every way than the current MacBook, AND cheaper. 
    StrangeDaysbaconstangradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 181
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    $1199 Ouch. So what’s the point of the retina MacBook now? No mention of it on stage yet so I assume it’s just getting a spec bump unless Apple is killing it?
    Killing it is a possibility, I’ve never seen one in the wild.   Combine that with the wild popularity of the MBA and you have to wonder what’s the point.  
    entropys
  • Reply 32 of 181
    Speegs said:

Don’t buy it then. This is super fast NVMe storage. I rather have fast storage than useless slow storage. 
    elijahgapple2cwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 181
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    Ah so Apple’s sub $1000 laptop is just keeping the old Air around and selling it for $999. Unbelievable.
    Exactly what I predicted, except for the name. Totally believable. If you were expecting a budget machine at this point, you really have not been paying any attention to Apple whatsoever. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 181
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    So far, a meh presentation with nothing that wasn't already known.
    Isn't that every presentation anymore? With all the "leaks" and Youtube stuff out there daily for months before the actual announcements. Kind of takes the fun out of these things for me.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 181
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    lkrupp said:
    The presenter seems to be uncomfortable on stage. She sounds canned like she is reading from a teleprompter. I don't see the unbridled enthusiasm that Jobs projected. But to be honest, there was only one Steve Jobs and he’s gone now. 
    I wonder if you had that reaction because she wasn't a man? 
    fastasleepStrangeDaysxixoelijahgapple2c
  • Reply 36 of 181
    In the uk it’s 1199 to start with only 8Gb and 128Gb. 
    And a ridiculous £200 to upgrade to the next model which has a 256Gb drive (nothing else different).  Go to 16Gb and it’s £1579. Wow. 
    All dual core processors too. 
    Silly money.

My 2013 dual core Mac book pro with retina , 16Gb, 512Gb SSD cost less than these. 

ireland
  • Reply 37 of 181
    mac_128 said:
    Still has a 100 year old headphone jack. Curious to see if the iPad rumors come true now ...

But no FaceID. Maybe next year...

Edit: yup. No headphone jack on the iPad Pro. Gonna be a lot of dongles hanging off that sucker ... 
    Love the new iPad Pro models, but a 1/8” jack for professional grade headphones should be standard. A small mistake for an otherwise amazing piece of hardware.
    xixobaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 181
    Speegs said:

If true then surely the market will respond by shunning it. But nah, thy won't, because that isn't happening. Value != "cheap". Stick to your Dell, bro.
    So what happened to Kuo’s prediction of a sub $1000 laptop? Also Windows laptops have gotten much better over the past few years. They’re not just cheap plastic anymore.

The rMB & rMBA positioning is very odd. Unless the rMB will be the first Apple laptop to go ARM I don’t see what the point of it is anymore.
    As you know, because Gruber covers it every year and you listen to Gruber, Kuo is a supply chain leak guy and doesnt know shit about Apple's pricing, marketing, strategy, etc.
    edited October 2018 fastasleepSpamSandwichelijahgpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 181
    wizard69 said:
    $1199 Ouch. So what’s the point of the retina MacBook now? No mention of it on stage yet so I assume it’s just getting a spec bump unless Apple is killing it?
    Killing it is a possibility, I’ve never seen one in the wild.   Combine that with the wild popularity of the MBA and you have to wonder what’s the point.  
    How about -- the MacBook is 3/4 pound lighter and an inch narrower than the new MBA? It is totally grab 'n go. Yes, the keyboard is an issue, but version 2 is better than version 1. I was hoping for a version 3 MB with bumped specs and the new keyboard (same as the MBA) .

I think the real question is, how is the MBA significantly different than the MB Pro 13? Looks like the same screen, about the same thickness, within 0.25 pounds in weight, etc.... and better processor in the MBP for $100 more? What is the advantage for the MBA?
    edited October 2018 apple2cwatto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 181

Exactly what I predicted, except for the name. Totally believable. If you were expecting a budget machine at this point, you really have not been paying any attention to Apple whatsoever. 
    This person is a budget user who purports to be informed about Apple, yet is continually concerned, surprised, and upset about pricing never being low-budget. They routinely whine for Apple to give them free stuff "because they can afford to". It's quite absurd.
    fastasleepelijahgpscooter63watto_cobra